Birthdays at Gio’s

by Meghann on September 9, 2011

Happy Birthday Hilda!

Last Friday we celebrated my Mom’s birthday, tonight it was Derek’s Mom’s turn. πŸ™‚

We treated Hilda tonight at one of her favorite Tampa Restaurants – Gio’s.

Derek’s parents discovered Gio’s via a Groupon deal a while back and have become big fans of the quaint Italian joint. They even gave Derek a gift certificate to the restaurant for his birthday and have returned for various special occasions. Proof that Groupon does do good. πŸ˜‰

I started tonight’s meal with a glass of Chianti.

IMG_2765.jpg

And the table split the calamari and bruschetta appetizers.

IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2768.JPG

I enjoyed my share of both.

I’m not sure why, but I wasn’t really feeling anything from the main menu tonight. My eyes kept finding their way back to the soups, so that’s what I went with – the bean and pasta soup.

The soup was actually really delicious. The broth had a ton of great, spicy flavor. πŸ™‚

We stayed late chatting it up, then said out final ‘Happy Birthdays!’ before heading home and crashing in front of the tv.

Earlier this afternoon I had a dessert quality snack.

One pear microwaved with cinnamon then topped with a crumbled graham cracker and vanilla yogurt. A-MA-ZING!!

It was like a pear crumble. I could eat it again, again, and again. πŸ˜‰

Tomorrow morning I’m heading to Orlando for Rasa-Lila Fest! I’m ready for a full day of yoga and friends, but first I need to get some sleep.

Good Nigh!!

1 Sana September 9, 2011 at 10:33 pm

You kinda look like Derek’s mom! I guess it’s the brown hair πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..Ryan’s Guest Post: Food Science

2 Brittney September 9, 2011 at 10:39 pm

That snack looks amazing! I love to make apple cinnamon apples in the microwave and put them in my oatmeal. I’m going to have to try that with the pears!

3 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 9, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Yum! I think I’m read for fruit crumbles and crisps now– along with all my other fall favorites πŸ™‚

Have fun at the yoga fest tomorrow!!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Bust.

4 Lara @TresLaLa September 9, 2011 at 10:55 pm

We’re going out for date night with a Groupon-like deal… YAY for deals! Try your pear thingy topped with granola. (I’ve been doing pluots and plums that way all summer.) YUM!
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..10 Things You Didn’t Know About Me

5 Dani September 9, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Im so jealous you are going to rasa-lila! I want to go so bad but I have my long run tomorrow and it’s the psu vs bama game(go state!) and I can’t miss the biggest game of the year. If you can stay to the end with full circle yoga with Chris and rob. They are truly amazing!

6 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 9, 2011 at 11:03 pm

OH fun !! I LOVE birthdays!! Your soup, and snack both look amazing!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Belly Fat How To Lose It

7 Army Amy* September 9, 2011 at 11:44 pm

That’s a big ol bowl of soup!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Cake! In a jar!

8 Elisabeth September 10, 2011 at 1:12 am

That soup looks delicious, as does the bruschetta πŸ™‚

9 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 10, 2011 at 5:19 am

Mannn I wish I was going to Rasa Lisa πŸ™ Have fun!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Four Reasons To Call it a Rest Day

10 Cait's Plate September 10, 2011 at 9:51 am

Aw yay – what a fun time πŸ™‚ Happy birthday to Hilda!

That snack really does look incredible. I want to try it with peaches!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Workout, Pizza, Ice Cream

11 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 10, 2011 at 11:34 am

That looks like a huge bowl of soup. Hope she had a great birthday!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Martha Stewart’s Chicken Koftas

12 Allison September 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Pear crumble as a snack- count me in! Made myself a similar bowl as a snack this afternoon and def gonna have to remake it πŸ™‚
Allison recently posted..HomeGOODs and Seeing Green

13 Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement September 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Cannot believe you go to Gio’s! We used to have a place in Bradenton and would go there all the time. Nothing like going to dinner in a strip mall, totally a Florida thing.

Hope you enjoyed, this totally brought back memories seeing your photos.
Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement recently posted..Retro —-> Running

14 Sophie September 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Mmmmm, that ‘crumble’ sounds amazing – Will definitely be trying it!
Sophie recently posted..PGL & 9/11 Memories.

15 Ali @ Ali Runs September 14, 2011 at 8:21 am

The pear crumble looks delish! I must recreate soon.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Fitting It All In