more ยป" />

Cooling Down

by Meghann on September 8, 2011

Good Morning!

Something strange is happening around here – the weather isn’t unbearably hot right now. In fact, it’s actually pretty nice. Weird. For Central Florida. In September.

I’m not complaining (sadly, I know it won’t last long), but it sure makes jumping into the pool a little bit harder. This morning was particularly challenging – seeing the lifeguard in a pull over with a jacket over her knees didn’t help either (anytime temps drop below 70, Floridians start adding layers). I had to take a few deep breaths before getting my head under for the first time.

The slightly cooler weather made me realize how much more difficult it’s going to be getting swim workouts in once it really starts getting colder. Brrr…. I was not built for cold water.

Once I got warmed up, it wasn’t that bad. I kept the workout short with 1500 yds and stuck with my pace workout as my base.

Warm up:

• 100 Easy
  • 300 Kickboard Intervals

Main Set:

• 3 x 100 @ 2:25
  • 3 x 100 @ 2:15
  • 3 x 100 @ 2:05

Cool Down:

• 100 Pull Buoy
  • 100 Easy

Total: 1500

I felt sllloooowwww this morning. My numbers were all over the place and I just felt tired. I’ll blame the cooler weather for that one and not my laziness. ๐Ÿ˜‰

After the pool, I did a quick gear change and headed to the weight room for NROLFW Stage 3B.

The weight room was packed today with teenage boys. I would gauge them 18-20 and the majority were lifting more weight than looked comfortable. It reminded me of a chapter in NROLFW where it states men usually guesstimate more than what they can lift and women usually guesstimate less. I’m probably still guesstimating less than I should, but I would rather do that than risk the injury these boys looked like they were heading to. Just watching them, I could feel the pain in their faces. Ouch.

I felt good with today’s workout, if anything I was still a tiny bit sore from 3A on Tuesday. I’m really liking the sets involved with stage 3, I can definitely feel the burn and it feels good!

The cooler weather had me craving something warm for breakfast, so I did something I haven’t done all summer – I made a bowl of HOT oats!

Does this mean it’s officially oatmeal season?! I hope so!

I’m a little rusty on this, but here’s what I put in the pot:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup vanilla soymilk
  • chia seeds
  • cinnamon
  • rolled dates
  • pinch of salt

And on top:

• 1 pear
  • 2 spoonfuls Love Grown Granola
  • 1 spoonful honey peanut butter

Not bad for a 3 month break. It was warm and filling – just like a big bowl of oatmeal should be. ๐Ÿ™‚

How’s the weather where you are? Still hot, hot, hot or is it starting to cool off too?

1 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 8, 2011 at 10:08 am

70 in the NE is still very much shorts and sundresses weather!!!! Maybe you can get heated car seat pads for your tush when you get back in your car!! (after you dry off, you don’t need to be zapped!)

2 Nikki September 8, 2011 at 10:12 am

It has been consistently in the low to mid 20s ‘ C here in Alberta,Canada… not hot hot, but somehow seems hotter than a summertime, 21’C!
Good for the crops around me!
Nikki recently posted..Weigh-in Worries

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 8, 2011 at 10:15 am

I’ve been in LA where it’s 90+ degrees this week but I’m headed home to NY where it apparently got cold & rainy overnight. Not looking forward to that!

4 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

It’s been unseasonably cold here in Windsor. I don’t like it one bit.

5 Steph @321delish September 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

I just bought the NROL4W and I’m really excited to get started!

I was in Orlando for the weekend, and was SO RELIEVED when it was a TEENY bit cooler in the evenings! I can’t wait to visit again later in the year when everyone up here is in winter clothes, and I’m wearing shorts and a tee…Oh, and all the other Floridians are bundled up too;-)
Steph @321delish recently posted..{Guest Post} Group Cycling (Part 1)

6 RunnerGirlChels September 8, 2011 at 10:21 am

The TX weather is pleasant right now – enjoying the nice cold front while I can. Esp after a long, HOT summer of marathon training! I am looking fwd to running in the cooler weather for sure! Glad u had a good run/workout!
RunnerGirlChels recently posted..Humbling moment.

7 Katie September 8, 2011 at 10:22 am

It has been pretty hot here in LA. It’s generally not too bad since there isn’t much humidity but at night I’ve had trouble cooling down. But I guess I can’t complain too much because it will cool off soon enough and go back to the same ol’ weather. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katie recently posted..Foodie for a Day – Two Little Red Hens

8 Jessica September 8, 2011 at 10:36 am

we were in the outdoor pool this week. it was 45 degrees. that’s cold.

9 Meghann September 8, 2011 at 11:04 am

Wow! That is cold! That’s dead of winter around here.

10 Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com September 8, 2011 at 10:41 am

“sadly, I know it wonโ€™t last long” = true story! I’m already waiting for the hammer to drop & for the heat and humidity to return for the rest of the month. Seriously, isn’t September usually one of our hottest months? This is such a tease!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com recently posted..And I Ran

11 Hope September 8, 2011 at 10:46 am

It’s still pretty hot and humid around here. It’s just been raining like crazy lately! Today is the worst though. There is so much flooding going on and several roads and highways are closed. It’s really bad.
Hope recently posted..A Frizzy & Curly Mess At The Phillies Game!โ€ฆ

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 8, 2011 at 10:47 am

It is cooling off here too, but the heat shall return before too long–it always does in September! Hah.

I love lifting weights, it makes me feel confident and sexy! Woot.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Fats + Thankful Thursday

13 Faith @ For the Health of It September 8, 2011 at 10:50 am

Doesn’t it feel amazing? I’m hoping it lasts longer than a day or two!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Chocolate Fig Smoothie

14 Elisabeth September 8, 2011 at 10:53 am

I’m in northwest Ohio & it’s been chilly, grey and rainy since Sunday! I’m ready for summer to come back… Fall is my favorite season overall, but I hate to see it heading closer to winter/snow/ice!

15 Corey @ Learning Patience September 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

It’s hot here (obviously) — I’m loving every minute of it – although I do miss running in the fall…
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Death by Treadmill and Thai Fried Quinoa

16 Liz @ Southern Charm September 8, 2011 at 11:05 am

Like you, I’m shocked by the current weather. I’m in New Orleans. It has been oddly cool since that little storm hit us this past weekend. No complaints at all! Love the coolness in the morning, but I also know its a tease as the weather forecast is back in the 90’s next week.

Is fall here for good yet?
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..Nude Pumps

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 8, 2011 at 11:09 am

Definitely cooling off!! Like, too fast! It’s all rainy and gross and normally I’d be complaining that my office doesn’t have any windows, but not being able to see outside today is probably keeping me in a better mood. Looks like a delicious breakfast!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Why I Run

18 Lara September 8, 2011 at 11:22 am

Arizona = 108 today. It doesn’t cool down until after Halloween ๐Ÿ™

19 Lisa September 8, 2011 at 11:28 am

I live in the Pacific NW and the weather has been hovering around the 70’s and low 80’s all summer. Now it’s suddenly been above 90 for a few days and it is hot hot hot!

20 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 8, 2011 at 11:29 am

It is starting to feel a lot like fall in Boston!!!! It has been raining and around 65* for the last 3 days!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Big News on The Vegetable Life!!! *Giveaway*

21 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 8, 2011 at 11:30 am

It’s super hot hot hot here. Luckily I’m getting away for the weekend to the beach where it will be in the 80s instead of upper 90s at home. Sounds like a chilly swim this morning!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Homemade Take ‘N Bake Taco Pizza

22 Laura September 8, 2011 at 11:35 am

HOT. FREAKING HOT. I thought I was going to die on my run the other day so I’ve sucked it up and started running in the ams.
Laura recently posted..Romy and Michelleโ€™s Guide to Life

23 Molly September 8, 2011 at 11:39 am

the change in weather is such a shock to me as well! but my weather-gal this morning said heat will be in my future within the next week ๐Ÿ™ saddd sad day.
Molly recently posted..TACKY!

24 Cait's Plate September 8, 2011 at 11:48 am

I definitely think it means it’s officially oatmeal season ๐Ÿ™‚ I had just that this morning!

The weather here is definitely cooling down – now if we could just get rid of all this rain I’d be happy!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Excuse Me

25 Emily@SavoryandSavage September 8, 2011 at 11:59 am

It is still hot here. You were very brave to jump into the pool when it was so cold out!
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Sleep talking and morning kebabs

26 deva (voracious vorilee) September 8, 2011 at 12:06 pm

i’m in southwest ohio and it’s been gray and chilly since monday. it was 61 degrees and raining when i left the house this morning!
deva (voracious vorilee) recently posted..Chilly and Gray

27 Bridget September 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I am still sore from 3A on Tuesday as well! Especially my hamstrings which make me think I was doing something wrong…. I thought 3B was much easier than 3A; however I LOVE the ab sequence. Although i do feel awkward doing the cobra in public.

28 Ashley September 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I’m in Oregon, and it’s been pretty hot this week. Apparently, it only gets above 90 about 10 days a year, but I’ll be happy when it’s back to normal here. We have no air conditioning in our apartment!
Ashley recently posted..Why I Love Eating At Home

29 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce September 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I miss making my own oatmeal! School oatmeal is usually mushy.
oh well! make do with what i’ve got! ๐Ÿ™‚
yours looks so good!

30 Heidi Nicole September 8, 2011 at 12:30 pm

The temps dropped here in Denver too! We went from 90 to 60 in just a day or two! I was actually complaining about the cold yesterday…who complains about 60*?!

But the cooler temps make for great running – I had to dig out the capris but dominated at my run! I am so ready for fall!
Heidi Nicole recently posted..Fall-ish Weather = Fast-ish Runs

31 Courtney Smith September 8, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I’m in Cheyenne, just moved from Tampa, FL a couple of months ago. So don’t worry, you’re not the only one complaining about 60!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Courtney Smith recently posted..Running at 6,062 feet

32 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 8, 2011 at 12:48 pm

i was on the swim team in high school and morning practices on those cool days were just BRUTAL. i would close my eyes, hold my breath, and literally have to have my best friend push me in . i feel your pain!!

33 Lara @ TresLaLa September 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm

SoCal is HOT, HOT, HOT right now. Yesterday at 4:30 it was 97*. Boo. I always love the looks that I get when I’m weight lifting, and people (read: guys) realize that I’m actually lifting heavy weights, and that I’m not taking a 3 minute break between sets…
Lara @ TresLaLa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday โ€“ Take 1

34 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm

It’s still in the 100’s every day here. I’m pretty much melting… being a Seattle girl through-and-through, I would easily wear shorts in 70 degree weather– you can’t really get into less clothing than that when it gets so hot! I spend my days cowering inside in the air conditioning wishing for December.

On the upside, at least it’s still smoothie season!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Ouch.

35 Anne P September 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm

It’s gorgeous here today, too! I’d forgotten how much easier running is when it’s not obscenely hot/humid…
Anne P recently posted..Never Go Grocery Shopping on an Empty Stomach

36 Heather September 8, 2011 at 2:15 pm

It has been in the upper 70’s low 80’s here the past couple days, love it!
I do not envy you going into the pool in the cooler weather!
Heather recently posted..Ready to Go

37 Haley September 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I live on the slopes of the volcano, which means it gets [relatively] cold up here, lol. By that, I mean the mornings are 65 and by 8 am we’re hitting the 70s. A few hours later, we’re at 85 for the rest of the day.

But I’m also definitely not made for the cold, either! I’ve been swimming in the mornings at 9am, and if there is cloud coverage, it takes a few seconds for me to convince myself to jump in, lol. I know. I’m a wuss.

38 TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching September 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm

It has been blazing the last few days! It’s a little cooler today, but I dont know how long that will last
TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching recently posted..Sick and Pics

39 Cat September 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm

It’s funny, I don’t even think about pumpkin all that much, but I think just reading yours and others blogs is making me want it! So strange…totally almost stopped at Starbucks this morning to get a pumpkin latte! I didn’t, but it made me think that y’all are gettin’ in my head! heheh! Not a comment related to this post, but wanted to share that!

40 Meghann September 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm

haha – the same thing happens to me. My pumpkin obsession didn’t begin until I started blogging.

41 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm

It’s the same way in Atlanta – so strange and I’m loving it. My fear is that we’ll all get used to this amazing weather, then it will shoot back up to the 90s (please, no!).
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Ordering a Better Dinner Out

42 Katie @wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com September 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Its the same way up here in DC- so wierd but I am not complaining, except for all the rain. I wish I could send all of our rain we have been getting to Texas. But these temps make for perfect running weather.

I am on an oatmeal kick too now with the weather getting cooler! What is your favorite recipe?

43 Alaina September 8, 2011 at 4:22 pm

It is definitely getting cooler up here in Boston and I love it! I love the fall and hope it comes in full force this year. ๐Ÿ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Lunch at the Capital Grille

44 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 8, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Is your pool heated?! I don’t even get in when it’s below 95 degrees out haha. It’s still a blazing 110ish over here in Phoenix. I have cool weather envy!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..I love Fajita Wednesday!

45 Meghann September 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm

It is heated, but not heated enough for me ๐Ÿ™‚

46 Shaun @ snackasaurusrex September 8, 2011 at 5:06 pm

It has been an week of beautiful weather here in South Texas. The weather couldn’t have been better for our 5 mile Whine Run on Monday morning! Temps suppose to rise, but it was a nice little preview to fall!

47 Hillary September 8, 2011 at 7:57 pm

It has been POURING in MD for the last three days—so it’s definitely cooled down a bit! No sun = less heat, that’s for sure.
Hillary recently posted..Sauced

48 Sophie September 9, 2011 at 2:49 am

It has been freezing here all week – Stupid UK! I haven’t seen the sun in weeks!
Sophie recently posted..Thought For Friday!

49 Ali @ Ali Runs September 9, 2011 at 9:48 am

The weather is definitely starting to cool down and it’s awesome. I just am dreading for when the snow starts falling and lasts for 4 months! Boo
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Send Help

50 Dina @ DinaRuns September 9, 2011 at 10:15 am

The weather has been cooler but it keeps raining every time I am able to run! Getting frustrated and would like to enjoy the cooler weather.
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..Bloggers Invade El Bodegon

51 amyt @ chicken nugget momma September 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I’m with ya…..Anything below 70 and I’m ready for a jacket – FL spoils ya!!! Give me the heat!!!
amyt @ chicken nugget momma recently posted..The Shed of Pain

52 HeatHer September 10, 2011 at 12:32 am

Still devil hot here in AZ, but there’s glimmers of hope that cooler weather is coming, can’t wait!
HeatHer recently posted..A long weekend means a short work week