Play Swim

by Meghann on September 7, 2011

Good Morning!

Despite a bit of rain, the non-existent lightening and thunder meant the pool was safe to swim this morning. Yippee!

I had 5 x 200s on the brain, but wanted to make it fun. Five straight two hundreds can be a bit boring, so I switched it up and made each two hundred a different interval.

Here’s what I came up with.

Warm Up

• 100 Easy

Main Set (2x)

• 200 Kick board
  • 200 Medium
  • 200 Breast Stroke
  • 200 Hard
  • 200 Pull Buoy

Cool Down

• 100 Easy

Total: 2200 yds

Incorporating a different element with each 200 kept boredom at bay and the sets flew by. It felt more like playing in the pool than a training swim. Maybe next time I’ll incorporate some time elements into the workout?

45 minutes in the pool meant I had a lot of time to think about breakfast. Many ideas passed through my head, but all I really wanted was cereal.

In the mix:

• 1/2 cup Cinnamon Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Mini Wheats
  • 1/4 cup Raisin Almond Love Grown Granola <-HLS swag bag
  • Mango Peach Oikos <- HLS swag bag coupon
  • 1/2 Peach

I’ve fallen head-over-heals in love with the Love Grown Granola. It’s hearty, crunchy, and heavy on the cinnamon, which is what I like the most about it. I was *this close* to giving an extra shake of cinnamon to my bowl of cereal just because.

No spills this morning, all the cereal made it to my tummy. 🙂

Have a great hump day everyone!

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

Yey for getting an early workout in 🙂 I did the same!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Chia Seed Thick Oats Trick

2 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

Love Grown granola is the best! I’ve tried all the flavors and I can’t decide which one I love best. They’re all amazing!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..The Fourth S of September

3 Victoria (District Chocoholic) September 7, 2011 at 10:18 am

If you have hand paddles, that is another fun toy to break up long sets.

Do you ever flutter kick on your side? It’s a great drill for alignment and easier on your shoulders than using a kickboard.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..The Ultimate Chocolate Zucchini Challenge: Vegan Gluten-Free

4 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 10:32 am

I don’t have access to hand paddles, but I always see others use them and they look like fun! And I’m not even sure what a flutter kick on the side is?

5 Victoria (District Chocoholic) September 7, 2011 at 10:35 am

They are like $10-15 – definitely worth it, and they will emphasize any weak portions of your stroke and help you improve your technique.

Kicking on your side – you essentially lie on your side in the water and kick, with your bottom arm stretched in front of you and your top arm along your side.

6 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 7, 2011 at 10:33 am

pour hot milk on your love grown. you won’t regret it.

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 7, 2011 at 10:45 am

I really, really wish we could get Love Grown here in Canada!! It looks delicious!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 73

8 Charline September 7, 2011 at 10:45 am

If you switch from Latte to Misto it should be a little cheaper… and not much difference.

9 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 10:57 am

Some Starbucks look at you funny when you order a tea misto. I used to order them that way, but they would just plug it in as a latte, so I gave up.

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 7, 2011 at 10:46 am

A good swim + a good b-fast =a good morning so far for ya! YAEH for training plans!

11 Nikki September 7, 2011 at 10:47 am

I love swimming in the rain! I definitely don’t get as hot that way!
Nikki recently posted..September Lovin’

12 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 7, 2011 at 10:56 am

Everytime you post about a swim workout I am soooo impressed! I feel as if swimming is the most challenging sport of all bot physically and emotionally (or maybe thats just for me seeing as I sink and don’t float!)
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..WIAW – The "Reckoning" Has Begun!

13 Hilary September 7, 2011 at 11:31 am

Mmmm…nice swag bag usage! I was sad because I can’t use most of the coupons in Canada, so they just got recycled! 🙁
Hilary recently posted..Happy Hump Day 2011/09/07

14 Sophie September 7, 2011 at 11:57 am

Mmmm, that cereal does look good! Shame it’s nearly dinner time in the UK…!
Sophie recently posted..Definitely Not Lost For Words.

15 Ashley September 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I need to get my hands on some Love Grown Granola! Everyone seems to be raving about it!

16 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Cinnamon Cheerios??!? I’ve obviously been out of the game with the ‘fun’ cereals too long… though I’m sure a box of that would not last more than a couple days in my pantry.
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Autumn Please!

17 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 12:55 pm

If you think that’s different – on Sunday I saw Rainbow Cheerios which looked just like Froot Loops!

18 John September 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I needed a new breakfast idea. Thanks for sharing.

19 Lara @ TresLaLa September 7, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I second the recommendation for paddles — use them with the pull buoy for a great workout. Or, add them with fins for super quick sets! You’ll feel like you’re flying through the water! Putting the buoy at your ankles (instead of knees) is a tough workout too – keeps your abs fully engaged!
Lara @ TresLaLa recently posted..Weekend Hangover

20 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Thanks for the tips Lara!

21 Casey @ oatsandnanners September 7, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Great workout! I literally woke up, read your blog, and headed to the pool to complete a similar interval workout — I just found out I have a stress fracture… which means another 6-8 weeks of flopping around in the pool. I’ve been raiding your swimming posts for inspiration so I don’t get TOO bored!

Thanks for being amazing!

22 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm

haha I’m glad I can help! Bummer about the stress fracture!!

23 Allison September 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I have a tendency to always add [a couple] extra shakes of cinnamon to my yogurt/ cereal bowls [and cappuccinos]! 😀 I picked up a new type of ground cinnamon from Costco a couple of months ago and it’s slightly spicy?! Sounds silly but IDK how else to describe it- something new!
Allison recently posted..Mrs. Thomas