A Little Rain Isn’t Going to Stop Me

by Meghann on September 7, 2011

These darks clouds have NOT been my friend lately.

They prevented me from swimming on Tuesday, threatened my track workout last night, and almost stopped me from riding tonight. Almost.

Allison and I had plans tonight for one of our weekly afternoon rides. (We’re on our third week in a row – I’d say we’re officially cycling buddies. πŸ˜‰ ) Right when I was about to head out to the trail, I received an urgent email warning about a cloudy radar and rain. Boo. I had ten minutes to make a quick decision – risk the rain and head out or stay safe and dry at home?

I went with rain.

I met Allison at the trail head and we headed out for a quiet ride on the empty trail (I guess the rain had scared everyone away but us). We managed to do a double loop (18 miles total) and only hit some minor incidents of light rain along the way. It was a great ride that almost didn’t happen – good thing neither of us mind taking risks!

In other news – Allison sold me on adding Rescue Me to my Netflix queue. Any other fans out there?

Before the ride I fueled up with some carrots and almond butter.

Dinner was quick easy. I was eating 15 minutes after I walked in the door.

I followed a basic grits recipe by adding 1/2 cup of cornmeal to 2 cups of water, stir until all the lumps are gone then bring to a low simmer, and season with salt and pepper.

The grits went great over half a ham steak. Very southern and very comforting.

Steam-in-a-bag snap peas to round the plate out.

Derek went for a run this evening and didn’t end up sitting down for dinner until well after I was done eating. When he did finally build his plate and sit down in front of the tv I thought something was off.

“Did you get the ham?”

“What ham?”

“The ham on the stove”

“Oh, I was wondering there for a second. I thought grits and snap peas? But, I was hungry and just went with it.”

Proof that Derek will eat anything I serve him – even if it’s just a meal of grits and snap peas. πŸ˜‰

Dessert was a piece of Melissa’s fudge.

The jury is still out on which photo to paint of Maddie. I’m thinking I just may send all three and have them decide. (the easy way out, right? πŸ˜‰ )

Good Night!

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 7, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Haha, that’s a pretty good quality in a man! It was a very southern meal, sometimes simple is best πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..A progressive decline

2 Sweet and Savvy September 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Glad to see rain doesn’t stop you!! πŸ™‚ That fudge looks great!

3 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

i recently started rescue me on netflix instant… it’s pretty good so far!!

4 meghan September 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I’ve hated this weather lately, too! I almost went to the gym to run on the treadmill after school, but I went ahead and threw on my clothes at school and gave it a whirl when I saw an opening. So glad I did! I got my whole run in.
meghan recently posted..can i get it all?

5 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm

My Hubs is an engineer, and I swear to God he can never turn his brain off. He’ll be exclaiming over a delicious meal at the same time as analyzing what we could do differently the next time to make it even better– sorta drives me nuts sometimes haha. However, it’s been good for us too because my meals do actually improve every time now!

I still think photo B of Maddie was the best to paint– had her face and whole body too!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Ouch.

6 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Nice nice. I am all about taking risks and just DOING it when it comes to exercise/fitness goals πŸ˜‰ Good choice!

Funny about Derek and food-my hubby is the.same.way. Could care less, as long as it fills him up! Ha.

7 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm

My hubs would do the same!!! Lol!! Men
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Chocolate Covered F Word.

8 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life September 7, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I watched Rescue Me religiously a few months ago but lost interest mid-season 3. It’s an amazing show, however some elements come across as a bit sexist and a bit crude. I’m from New Jersey so I can appreciate the NY/yankee-ness of the show, but I can see how others might not. Regardless, Dennis Leary is hilarious and it definitely has it’s fair share of eye candy. πŸ™‚ I’m interested to see how you like it!
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..Switching it Up

9 Lara @TresLaLa September 8, 2011 at 12:59 am

Awesome that he would not have minded not having a “protein”. My hubby would have started making something else for himself!
I probably would have skipped the cycle for the rain – I just can’t risk a fall! You go!
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Take 1

10 Lorin September 8, 2011 at 2:54 am

Thanks for this post! It reminded me that I need to rethink my portions a bit for my meals. I don’t workout as much as you (45 minutes today) and had a rather large dinner of healthy stuff, but perhaps a bit too much food. It’s a reminder that you can’t burn off the excess food you eat even if it’s healthy food.

11 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 8, 2011 at 5:15 am

I had no clue that you could make grits out of corn meal! See what I know haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Cereal For Dinner

12 Hillary September 8, 2011 at 7:53 am

Oh, hungry boys. My boyfriend is the same way. Is it edible? If so, he’ll eat it.

Unless it’s olives. Then he acts like a five-year-old and won’t go near his plate!
Hillary recently posted..The Little Things

13 Fallon September 8, 2011 at 7:55 am

Does she have a recipe for that fudge?? That looks amazing!
Fallon recently posted..Extra Cannoli Cream…

14 Corey @ Learning Patience September 8, 2011 at 8:10 am

My husband is the same way…he eats anything…I love it. πŸ™‚
Hope the rain goes away – sending you sun from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Death by Treadmill and Thai Fried Quinoa

15 HeatHer September 10, 2011 at 12:46 am

LOVE Rescue Me, enjoy! Catching up with the last 4 episodes after I stop reading and catching up with blogs πŸ™‚
HeatHer recently posted..A long weekend means a short work week

16 Hannahviolin September 11, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Aww, I’m feeling all girly and that story made me a bit teary. Love that he didn’t complain a peep and just was eating the grits and snap peas.
Hannahviolin recently posted..Don’t worry, we aren’t about to forget!