Back to Speed

by Meghann on September 6, 2011

Booyah!

I forgot how good it feels to go fast! And, boy, does it feel good!

It’s September – summer is over, school is back in session, and the local school track has been repaired and restored just in time for racing season.

Isn’t that black rubber-based track a thing of beauty? πŸ™‚

Since the track has been out of commission all summer, my training group and I have been having boot camp style speed workouts at a local field. The work outs have been tough and great for building strength, but I missed having a track to really push myself on. This afternoon it felt great to get out there and just leave it all on the track again.

Our workout was simple, she started us out long, then had us drop to short and fast.

• 400 Warm Up
  • 1600 @ 5k Pace + 5 seconds
  • 2 x 800 @ 5k Pace
  • 4 x 400 with negative splits.
  • 400 Cool Down

I was rusty, but still pretty pleased with what I could do. One of the assistant coaches became my running partner and really pushed me through each set. He warned me when I needed to slow down, told me when to open my stride and loosen my arms, and pushed me to a pace I forgot I had in me.

Here’s what I ended up with:

• 400 Warm Up @ 1:56 (8:00)
  • 1600 @ 7:32
  • 2 x 800 @ 3:40(7:32) 3:47(7:45)
  • 4 x 400 @ 1:54 (7:42) 1:51(7:30) 1:51(7:30) 1:44(7:12) <-Negative Splits!
  • 400 Cool Down (untimed)

The best part? At the end I felt I could have kept going! I guess that means next time I’ll just have to push myself that much more.

The track wasn’t the only thing I welcomed back into my life this afternoon…

Hello Awake Tea Latte with one pump of Pumpkin Spice!

IMG_2640.jpg

Man, I almost forgot how good these things are! Too bad I didn’t forget how much $$ they are. $3.75 for a grande? Ouch! Maybe it is a good thing Pumpkin Spice is only here for a limited time. πŸ˜‰

Pre-track I combined two Healthy Living Summit swag bag items to create a killer snack.

IMG_2641.jpg

Quaker Smashbar + Barney Butter = Snack Perfection

I’m thinking about adding nut butter to all of my lighter granola bars. It adds some staying power as well as a boost of delicious flavor.

Derek made fun of me the other week when I bought this odd shaped root and had no clue what it was.

It was labeled as a blanca something-or-another, but I thought it resembled yucca. Especially after I peeled and cubed one.

So, I cooked it like I would yucca – steamed with a nice slab of butter.

Done.

The texture and taste were so similar to a yucca, that it might as well have been a yucca. The only difference I could see was the blanca something-or-another wasn’t as veiny or stringy as a yucca (if that makes sense?).

The yucca clone was paired with a flavorless ‘steam-in-a-bag’ creamed spinach

On the side of a chicken apple sausage in a pita with spinach and ketchup.

Dinner is served.

Dessert – serving of coffee chocolate fudge ice cream with granola.

I’m wiped! I’m currently on my 4th episode of Picker Sisters this evening and ready for more!

Good Night!

1 April September 6, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Wow you’ve got quite the computer on your arm there!

2 Fit Chick Britt September 6, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Awesome job on the run! I must get to Starbucks ASAP!!

3 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 6, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Great job on your speed work! Holy cow that’s a fast 5k– you could probably win the race at that speed!

So funny you could just pick up a random weird-looking veggie and successfully cook it– I do not have the ballz or the creativity for that!! Glad it turned out well πŸ™‚
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Arugula or Rocket?

4 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 6:34 am

haha – not quite. My 5k PR was 23:18, but that was two years ago. But most females win races with sub-19 πŸ™‚

5 amanda September 6, 2011 at 11:11 pm

i think cassava is sometimes called yuca blanca. or are cassava and yuca the same thing? hmmmm…..either way, looks yummy!

6 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 6:33 am

I found it online! It’s called Malanga Blanca http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Malanga_20201.php

7 TanyaS September 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Looks like taro root to me πŸ™‚ Awesome speedwork.

8 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 6:35 am

I found it online as Malanga Blanca and it says it’s also known as taro root. Good eye. http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Malanga_20201.php

9 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Whoa–fast run! nice WORK lady πŸ™‚

10 Cait's Plate September 6, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I LOVE a fast run. They’re seriously the best! I really need to try one of those Quaker smashbars. Every time I see a commercial for them I just WANT them. I might have to try to make my own…
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Outing by Phone

11 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 6:36 am

It’s basically a rice krispie treat, but I love it!

12 Sana September 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I am wiped too! Oy, I am getting old!
Sana recently posted..Ugh. Rain.

13 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 7, 2011 at 12:22 am

Wow, you are FAST!! I think I’m going to have to try your Awake Tea Latte with Pumpkin Spice–sounds like an interesting combo!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Vacation Review: Azul Fives in Playa del Carmen, Mexico

14 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 7, 2011 at 12:56 am

I *love* track workouts. They do make me a little nervous, but I love the feeling of running fast!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..5-4-3-2-1 Survey

15 alison September 7, 2011 at 2:57 am

alison recently posted..Difficulty Getting Pregnant

16 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 7, 2011 at 6:43 am

I love that you’ll just pick up a random ingredient from the grocery story without knowing what it is and cook it up like it’s no big deal. It kind of looks like a taro root. Great job on the run!!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Bruised

17 Hillary September 7, 2011 at 7:23 am

You just reminded me that I need to start working on my speed again. I haven’t done speed work in forever, and it’s embarrassing how slow my pace has dropped. Gotta get on that!
Hillary recently posted..Catharsis

18 Ali @ Ali Runs September 7, 2011 at 7:45 am

I love track workouts! Awesome job on your splits, so speedy! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Announcement!

19 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 7, 2011 at 8:10 am

Great track workout this morning! I am always pretty miserable while running on the track, but you feel so good when you’re done (which is exactly what I remind myself while trying to push through a tough repeat).

20 Gladys September 7, 2011 at 9:00 am

I’m glad you found what it was. As soon as I saw the Malanga pop out on my screen all I could say was YUM!! I love it mashed potato style…. delicious!! =)

21 Molly P September 7, 2011 at 9:03 am

Just FYI- Smash Bars have been recalled due to “Product has undeclared allergin”

Love your blog- truly inspirational! Keep up the good work!

22 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 9:21 am

Really? Did not know that. Thanks for letting me know.

23 Clare @ Fitting It All In September 7, 2011 at 9:20 am

I was thinking the same thing about my speed coming back after my 5k run this morning – not as speedy as you, but the cooler temps make it so much easier to be fast!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..WIAW: A Day of Many Plates

24 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 7, 2011 at 9:57 am

Wow, nice job speed demon! Speed workouts are so satisfying πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..A progressive decline

25 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

LOVE a good speed session. And I have to say – that root vegetable looks like something else. Haha!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Blogging: Page Views and Money Talk Part One

26 Jessica September 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Starbucks IS expensive! I get a drink VERY similar to yours but its MUCH cheaper.

For $2.15, I get just an Awake Tea with one pump of syrup (I like peppermint the best, but pumpkin spice is good too!) and then add in some of the free milk they set out. I always felt like the tea lattes were too milky and expensive, and this is just as delicious and less money. πŸ™‚

27 Meghann September 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Thanks, Jessica. I really need to take that approach. πŸ™‚

28 Lara @ TresLaLa September 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm

You’re very brave – might just be that angle, but the root looked like something else entirely… And, I’ve never seen Picker Sisters, but now that I know that I can watch full episodes online, I’ll check it out next time I’m on the elliptical!
Lara @ TresLaLa recently posted..Weekend Hangover

29 Allison September 7, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Oooh, I’ve never tried a tea latte! I love me some Sbucks- I gotta try it sometime!
Allison recently posted..Mrs. Thomas