more ยป" />

Pedicures, Figs, and Fish – Oh, My!

by Meghann on September 5, 2011

Let’s see…. golfing or pampering?

I choose pampering. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My Mom and I had a girl’s day, complete with pedicures and shopping, while my Dad and Derek took to the golf course. I’d say it was an even trade.

I splurged and had some nail art done. I’ve never had flowers on my toes before, but I think I like it.

Pretty feet!

Breakfast left me stuffed all day. It wasn’t until close to 3:00 that I decided to have some fun in the kitchen for lunch. The figs were calling my name from the fridge and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.

Fig Pizza.

I LOVED it. However, my family was giving me the stink eye as I prepared it. I guess they just don’t appreciate figs as much as I do. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I started out with a bed of multi-grian pizza dough from Publix.

For the base I sauteed some shallots and garlic with a healthy dose of olive oil.

Next came some prosciutto and sliced fresh figs.

Goat cheese (the good stuff)

And a swirl of honey.

The pizza went in the oven for 15 minutes at 400.

While the pizza was in the oven I made a balsamic reduction by slowly simmer a cup of balsamic vinegar. When the pizza was done I added a handful of fresh arugula and a drizzle of the reduction.

My creation was complete.

Fig pizza at its finest. I was really proud of my little pie. ๐Ÿ™‚

Don’t worry – I made a ‘regular’ pizza for the rest of the clan too. Good old fashion marinara sauce, cheese, and the rest of the prosciutto.

I stuck with two slices of the fig pizza.

Everything about it was delicious. The sweetness from the figs and honey were very subtle and not overpowering. The saltiness from the prosciutto and goat cheese were just enough to complement the sweetness and not destroy it. And the crust was on the light and crispy side.

I was eventually able to talk my Dad and Derek into trying a piece. My Dad isn’t a fan of sweet and savory meals, but he did appreciate the levels of flavor in the pizza. Derek picked off all the figs (he REFUSED to try it with the figs on it – not even one little bite), but he did approve of it once the figs were gone.

Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale is now at Publix!! ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_2580.jpg

The rest of the afternoon was spent napping and lounging in the pool.

There was also a lot of cookie cake. Picture this piece x5. Cookie cake is my kryptonite.

Derek, my Dad, and I headed to a local restaurant on the water for dinner.

We split the seafood boil.

Which came with enough food to feed an army.

Plenty to go around. Nothing like a good seafood feast to end the weekend with.

Our evening ended at the most happening spot in Titusville.

No night clubs in these parts. Just dive bars with plenty of beer and a healthy dose of running into people you went to high school with.

I stuck with the beer.

And caught with my friend Rachel, who I didn’t go to high school with, but randomly lives in Titusville. ๐Ÿ™‚

A random guy asked us if we were twins or just sisters. Ha! I think it was just the similar color palates and frizzy hair that threw him off. However, I’ll take it as a compliment – looking just like Rachel isn’t a bad thing – she’s gorgeous!

We ‘partied’ it up at Irish Pub until the late, late hour of 11:00pm. I know, we’re turning into night owls up in here.

Time for bed!

But, before I leave, let me see how many people know the answers to these trivia questions from tonight’s bar games:

1. What is the largest body of fresh water in the world?
  2. What was Mickey Mouse’s original name?
  3. What is the biggest selling copyrighted game of all time?
  4. Which cartoon character’s were members of the Buffalo Watering Hole bowling team.

1 Army Amy* September 5, 2011 at 12:26 am

Wasn’t Mickey Steamboat Willie? Or are they two different mice?*
Army Amy* recently posted..Col. Mustard in the Study with the Rope

2 Meghann September 5, 2011 at 12:30 am

Close. Steamboat Willie was the name of the boat – not the mouse ๐Ÿ˜‰

3 CheezyK September 5, 2011 at 12:36 am

So, without ‘googling it’ I’d have to go with:
3 – Monopoly
4 – Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble
1 & 2 – no idea
CheezyK recently posted..Dunedin – untouched

4 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 5, 2011 at 12:53 am

That pizza sounds amazing! Fruit + goat cheese + honey is a great combo. I wait all year for that beer and I haven’t found it yet!

5 Coco September 5, 2011 at 12:57 am

Super pretty toes!
Coco recently posted..Push your limits- Handstands!

6 Sana September 5, 2011 at 1:21 am

What a fun day and I love that top on you!
Sana recently posted..I live to eat

7 Lorin September 5, 2011 at 1:48 am

Cookie cake is my kryptonite too. I actually had a pizookie from Bj’s for my birthday last week. Actually, a pizookie trio (oreo, pb cookie, and chocolate chip). I haven’t had a cookie pie in a long time, 6 years ago at my friends birthday party. I made a healthier one, which is AMAZING from chocolate covered katie. Gotta make that again sometime this week. I bought figs because they looked interesting and I’ve never had a fresh one. The 2 I had this morning weren’t super sweet or flavorful though, are they pretty sweet normally?

8 Meghann September 5, 2011 at 6:45 am

Nope, they’re not very sweet at all – I think that’s why they are a love/ hate with more people. Try broiling or grilling them – that will bring out some of the natural sweetness.

9 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 5:53 am

What is it with guys and figs!? I had to literally get on my hand and knees and BEG for Will to try one!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Faking Him Out

10 Fallon September 5, 2011 at 6:06 am

The fig pizza looks great!!! I wish I could have one of those shipped here. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And those questions.. 6am and my brain isn’t ready to think!

11 meredith (pursuing balance) September 5, 2011 at 7:27 am

i would choose pampering too! and figs on pizza? sounds delish!

12 Alex September 5, 2011 at 7:33 am

If my memory of media history class doesn’t fail me then the original name of Mickey Mouse was Mortimer. And my guess for the best selling game would be Monopoly. No clue about the other ones…

Your toes look so pretty! I always wanted to try do this nail art stuff myself with those pens that seem to pop up everywhere now… seems easy enough but I just have no patience…
Alex recently posted..The Art of Clean Up – Ursus Wehrli

13 Meghann September 5, 2011 at 9:34 am

You got both of those right. ๐Ÿ™‚

14 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) September 5, 2011 at 8:16 am

That fig pizza looks incredible! I usually eat all my digs fresh bc I like them so much, but i kind of want to get some just to make this pizza ๐Ÿ™‚
Alison (Fueling for Fitness) recently posted..A Midsummer Nightโ€™s Run 2011

15 Hillary September 5, 2011 at 8:28 am

You can put prosciutto on pretty much anything and I’ll happily eat it. That pizza looks out of this world.

16 Sophie September 5, 2011 at 8:33 am

Ooooohh, the nail art is very cute! I like! ๐Ÿ™‚
Sophie recently posted..Thought For Monday!

17 Katy (The Singing Runner) September 5, 2011 at 8:45 am

I’ve been to Cracker Jacks before! I went there when I was down in the area for NASATweetup last month! ๐Ÿ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up: Aug 29- Sept 4, 2011

18 Stephanie @ Love Life Project September 5, 2011 at 9:05 am

When I glanced too quickly at that first shot, I thought it was a toilet. I blinked and was glad to see that I was mistaken! Ha! Would you believe that I’ve never had a pedicure before? I think a girls’ day is in order…

19 Stephan Hilson September 5, 2011 at 9:07 am

It is nice to spend time shopping and having pedicure with mom while the guys golf. Your nail art is very pretty and neat. As for the pizza, it looked very healthy since you have used multi-grian pizza dough, fig and goat cheese. I also love the look of the regular pizza. And eating seafood and drinking beer is a great time to spend remaining of the evening.
Stephan Hilson recently posted..Forfait mobile pas cher

20 Clare @ Fitting It All In September 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

I would have LOVED your fig pizza.
And PUMPKIN BEER! I’m meeting a friend for a drink tonight and I really hope they have a pumpkin now!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Still Scared + This Week In Fitness

21 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

The fig pizza looks seriously yummy!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Puppy Playtime

22 Cait's Plate September 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

Wow – that pizza looked professionally made. I’m super impressed! Love the Harvest Moon! I need to get some pumpkin beer soon ๐Ÿ™‚

You and Rachel DO actually look a lot a like in that picture, haha – both beautiful ๐Ÿ™‚

As for the questions – I’m not even going to attempt to embarrass myself with answers! I literally do not know the answer to any of them!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Shopping & Sushi

23 Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement September 5, 2011 at 9:48 am

Whenever I think of fig pizza I think of Serafina’s in NYC. They have an amazing pizza that is seriously one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted. Thin Pizza base with creme fraiche, figs, and prosciutto. It is so simple, but it is seriously amazing. Must try when you are in NYC!
Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement recently posted..Weekend Highlights

24 Corey @ Learning Patience September 5, 2011 at 10:01 am

That pizza looked great! I wish I could find fresh figs here in Trinidad – I would make this recipe in an instant! Great work!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Getting Back to Normal

25 Lana September 5, 2011 at 11:05 am

1 – Lake Superior (My family has a cottage there – it’s beautiful!)
2- no clue!
3- Monopoly – I love this game!
4 – Fred Flintstone & Barney Rubble

Pizza and trivia are a good mix ๐Ÿ˜€

26 Ali @ Ali Runs September 5, 2011 at 11:12 am

To this day, I have never gotten a pedicure. After my marathon, I will definitely have to treat myself. I love the flowers! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Oak Tree Half Marathon Recap

27 Alaina September 5, 2011 at 11:54 am

Oh my gosh, that pizza looks amazing!! Probably one of my favorite pizza topping combinations. Absolutely delicious: sweet, salty and cheesy. ๐Ÿ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Happy Birthday, Grace!

28 Alex G September 5, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Absolutely love this combo as a salad! I can only imagine how tasty it is in pizza form YUM!

29 Jessica September 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm

That pizza looks amazing but I wouldn’t call that a healthy dose of olive oil! Mmm, olive oil is amazing on pizza!

30 s September 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm

that fig pizza looks great! i haven’t had the fig+cheese combo on a pizza in what seems like forever – i think i’ll add fig pizza ingredients to my grocery list this evening, thanks for the idea ๐Ÿ™‚

cute pedicure too!!

31 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 5, 2011 at 6:08 pm

The pizza looks so amazing! I tried to buy figs this weekend btw and it was a no go here in my little town. BOO!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..2 Mornings~2 Workouts ~ 2 Breakfasts

32 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 5, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I think I only know #2…Mortimer? Looks like a great day of eats–your fig pizza looks amazing! It looks very gourmet!