Highlights from the weekend

by Meghann on September 5, 2011

Highlights from the long weekend:

Riding 41 miles on River Road

Spending quality time with my Mommy on her birthday (or the day after)

Making a cookie cake (and almost burning the house down in the process)

Hanging out with new friends in old stomping grounds

Having these photos arrive in my inbox

IMAG1409.jpg

Mini Athlete is looking pretty good in is Meals & MIles onesie. 😉

IMAG1411.jpg

And, after all that, coming home and making a big bowl of soup in my own kitchen from my freshly stocked fridge and pantry is just as great of a highlight.

September = the start of soup season! Soup lovers unite!

I really had no recipe to go off of for this soup, I just grabbed a can of beans from the pantry and went from there. 🙂

My soup ended up with:

• 1 can of navy beans
  • 3 carrots
  • 1/2 an onion
  • 1 red potato
  • frozen corn
  • vegetable broth
  • various random seasonings (chili powder, garlic salt, oregano,etc)
  • hot sauce
  • worcestershire sauce
  • 1 boil in a bag rice

The veggies cooked first. Then the beans. Then the vegetable broth. Then the rice. Everything was brought to a boil and then simmered for 20 minutes.

I toasted a corn tortilla and shredded a slice of swiss cheese for the top.

A nice, comforting bowl of soup.

Dessert was another highlight.

1 graham cracker + honey peanut butter + attune chocolate bar = amazing.

What were some highlights from your weekend?!

1 Ashley September 5, 2011 at 8:22 pm

My highlights were hiking the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon and eating a bunch of yummy food.
Ashley recently posted..Hiking the Gorge

2 Hillary September 5, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Mmm that all looks so good.

One of my highlights was grilling Whole Foods burgers with my brother. Quality time + good food = a good weekend. And I finally saw The Help!

3 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 5, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Oh WOW! What a great weekend : good workouts, people, food, and fun! AWesome!

My highlight was the end of a great vacation with the in-laws! So great 🙂
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Altitude + Attitude Matters

4 Jess@atasteofconfidence September 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Cutest baby ever.
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Our Trip: Yellowstone

5 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 5, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Highlights for me was dog-sitting the cutest little
pug-chihuahua mix, eating at my favorite vegetarian chain restaurant, and hiking this morning 🙂

Your soup looks delish– I had soup for dinner too! It’s still 95 degrees out here, so it’s not soup season yet for us– but I wish wish wish it were.
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..My Weekend…

6 Army Amy* September 5, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I can’t wait to read lots of soup recipes! (I’m a soup-aholic!) The highlight of my weekend was succumbing to total relaxation. (Aka I was a slug and did a whole lotta nada.)*
Army Amy* recently posted..Mean Reds

7 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete September 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I think the Mini Athlete may have to start his own “I Wear Your Onesie” campaign. Hehe.
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Labor Day Livin’

8 Alaina September 5, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Celebrating my sister in law’s birthday with brunch and frozen yogurt! And shopping. And finding the most beautiful dress. 🙂
Alaina recently posted..Happy Birthday, Grace!

9 Ali @ Ali Runs September 5, 2011 at 9:33 pm

It looks like you had a great weekend! My high light included running my 3rd half marathon and celebrating my 2 year anniversary with my wonderful boyfriend! 🙂
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Oak Tree Half Marathon Recap

10 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 5, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Graham cracker + peanut butter + chocolate + microwave = love. Really. It’s melty, delicious, ooey-gooey goodness.

I may have to go make that now.
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..Chilly and Gray

11 Sana September 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm

That baby needs to be your new logo!!
Sana recently posted..A dedicated post is the best gift you will ever get!

12 Mary September 5, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Looks like you had a really great long weekend.

The highlight of mine was a 10 mile run and celebrating my furbaby’s 2nd birthday.
Mary recently posted..A Change of Perspective

13 Nikki September 5, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I just caught up on all of your posts from the weekend..I am so impressed by your hard work put into training and your love and dedication to those around you!
Nikki recently posted..Delaware Days!

14 Nicole September 5, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Wow, what a fun weekend! Your training is wicked inspiring. Way to go!!!

PS: can I have a bite if your desert? 🙂

15 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 5, 2011 at 10:17 pm

i love throw together soups, especially as the colder weather rolls in. we had such a nice weekend with absolutely zero plans… the highlight was relaxing!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..to each h(is)/(er) own.

16 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I really don’t think it’s humanly possible for you to look any more like your mother. I think she actually just cloned herself and told you she birthed you.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..This Coffee Tastes Like Crap

17 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Yummm that dessert looks like me kind of highlight 🙂 I’m looking forward to soup season too. One of the best parts of fall!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Happy Labor Day!

18 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 5, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Ahhh the baby pictures! SO cute!!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Pumpkin Butter!

19 Katie September 5, 2011 at 11:32 pm

What a fun looking weekend!

And I want a piece of that cookie cake… 🙂
Katie recently posted..Music Monday

20 Dina September 6, 2011 at 5:57 am

Baby picture is so cute!

This weekend was pretty low-key but I would say Park Ave., cheese shopping, and sleeping in.
Dina recently posted..Half Marathon Training Week Five In Review

21 katie September 6, 2011 at 7:33 am

He is so adorable rocking the meals and miles! How cute!!

Love the dessert with the attune bar, great idea ; )

and you and your friend look beautiful in that pic! Love that color on you!
katie recently posted..Punished…..

22 Clare September 6, 2011 at 7:57 am

Do you have a hand blender? Whenever I make any type of bean soup, once everything is cooked I go over it with a hand blender and get a nice creamy thick soup!

23 Hope September 6, 2011 at 8:06 am

Looks like such a fun weekend! 🙂 That soup looks really tasty!

The highlight of my weekend was picking up my wedding dress and veil!! 🙂
Hope recently posted..Offended At The Supermarket…

24 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 6, 2011 at 10:25 am

That soup looks DELICIOUS! I am all for soup season coming back.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Just How I Imagined

25 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 6, 2011 at 11:09 am

Yay for soup season! Love it. I can’t wait for white chicken chili and cornbread. 🙂
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Boston and Newport

26 Sophie September 6, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I can’t decide whether I like the look of the M&M oneside, or your peanut butter dessert more….. 🙂
Sophie recently posted..Definitely Not Lost For Words.

27 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 6, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I had amazing Greek food Friday night for “date night” and then an awesome girl’s day out Saturday. Monday I had a really great run. I HEART a long weekend. (cookie looks awesome btw).
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Double-Take

28 Allison September 7, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Mmm, a hearty bowl of soup always soothes the soul- bean soup is one of my favorites!
Allison recently posted..Mrs. Thomas