Bacon Makes Everything Better

by Meghann on September 5, 2011

Gooood Mooorrrnnning!

And Happy Labor Day!

Aren’t Monday holidays grand?!? Three day weekends for everyone! πŸ˜‰

I took advantage of the free day and slept in before heading out for a semi-long run. Maddie was going crazy this morning, so I took her out for the first 3 miles or so of the run. My pup LOVES to run, but it has been too hot to take her out lately. This morning it was just cool enough for her to run without the fear of heat exhaustion.

Besides a slight incident with some unleashed neighborhood dogs, Maddie was great. She kept an even 9:00 min pace and could have easily gone on for more.

I dropped Maddie off at home around the 5k marked, then continued on for the remaining miles. I ended up with 6.5 miles on the nail. It felt great.

My Dad put me in charge of the waffles for breakfast.

The secret to fluffy waffles are stiff egg whites. πŸ˜‰

Folded in – NOT mixed.

I topped my waffle with a Lemon Chobani and bacon.

Yep, crumbled bacon on top. Tart yogurt and bacon just works, especially on top of a light and fluffy waffle.

Everything tastes better with bacon. Trust me.

My final piece of cookie cake for post-breakfast dessert.

I love bacon. I love cookie cake. But, I think I’ve had enough of both over the weekend to last a lifetime… or at least a couple of months. πŸ˜‰

We’re heading home in a couple of hours. Time to get back to reality.

1 Sweet and Savvy September 5, 2011 at 10:07 am

Oh my gosh! I never thought of FOLDING in egg whites to waffles. That sounds wonderful!

2 Corey @ Learning Patience September 5, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hmm….bacon on your waffle? My husband would love that — mental note – do not let him read your blog tonight…. πŸ™‚

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Getting Back to Normal

3 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 10:09 am

Breakfast dessert? BRILLIANT.
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Oat Infestation

4 michelle September 5, 2011 at 10:09 am

I have a total bacon craving now. I had waffles last week for the first time in months and it was heaven.
michelle recently posted..Frankfurt Marathon Training: Week 10

5 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler September 5, 2011 at 10:22 am

I’ve never topped my waffles with anything savory like Bacon. I’ll have to try it out!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Road trip to Asheville!

6 Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 5, 2011 at 10:22 am

I think I’d go for the cookie cake on top of the waffle. Now that’s a breakfast of champions. πŸ˜‰
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Almost Wordless Labor Day

7 Alicia from Poise in Parma September 5, 2011 at 10:23 am

I found out this morning that this past Saturday was International Bacon Day. This might be the perfect way to continue that celebration. Those waffles look so good – I might be having breakfast for lunch!
Alicia from Poise in Parma recently posted..PIP’s CLE September Event Round Up

8 Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) September 5, 2011 at 10:23 am

Bacon on anything and everything wins 100% of the time! πŸ™‚ Enjoy your time with your family!
Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) recently posted..The Perfect End-Of-Summer Weekend

9 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 5, 2011 at 10:45 am

one of my biggest pet peeves has to be dogs off the leash. to me it just seems so irresponsible! my husband was terribly attacked by a dog at a young age (he is fine now, and we have two dogs), but e large dog barking off the leash is enough to send him into a tailspin! i know that standard response is “my dog is good with other dogs/people”, but what if my dog/my people aren’t good with it?! so inconsiderate…

ok, off my soap box and on a lighter note, that waffle looks fantastic. will have to try the egg white trick!!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..coffee talk {preview of the coming week!}.

10 Ali @ Ali Runs September 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

Bacon is one of the main reasons why I could never be a vegetarian! It is just so darn good! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Oak Tree Half Marathon Recap

11 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

Lol you never cease to amaze me with your flavour combos Meghann! Bacon and lemony yogurt is a very unique one. Happy Labour Day! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..It’s almost that time…

12 Cait's Plate September 5, 2011 at 11:04 am

3 day weekend Mondays certainly are good, that’s for sure!

Those waffles look awesome – we’re going french toast over here and I can’t wait!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Shopping & Sushi

13 Amy September 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

Ooh that combination sounds delicious!
Amy recently posted..going forward

14 Hillary September 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

I am so glad I’m not the only one who thinks dessert after breakfast is totally acceptable (and necessary sometimes)!
Hillary recently posted..Seasonal Smoothie

15 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 5, 2011 at 11:16 am

I like bacon a lot, but not sure how I feel about it with lemon yogurt.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The Out Of Place White Girl.

16 wymberley September 5, 2011 at 11:18 am

egg whites! good call
wymberley recently posted..12 Mile Adventure On The Treadmill

17 Erika - The Teenage Taste September 5, 2011 at 11:22 am

Amen to that! Next time you should try drizzling maple syrup on top.
Maple syrup + bacon = pure bliss! πŸ˜€
Erika – The Teenage Taste recently posted..Biscuits & Peppered Sausage Gravy

18 Natalie @ southern fit foodie September 5, 2011 at 11:30 am

I completely agree that bacon makes everything taste better!!!
Natalie @ southern fit foodie recently posted..My Favorite Holiday

19 Alyson @ Nourished Fitness September 5, 2011 at 11:35 am

Darn you, I really want waffles now! :p .. Ok, maybe that’s not such a bad thing. Have a wonderful Labor Day!

20 Khushboo September 5, 2011 at 11:46 am

Man just when I thought breakfast couldn’t get any better, you had to add in dessert πŸ˜€
Khushboo recently posted..Knowledge without college

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 5, 2011 at 11:57 am

I don’t eat bacon, but I am sure a nice crunch would add somethin’somethin’ to a waffle πŸ˜‰ I bet that run was a fun one–it is FINALLY cooling down. Hah.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Altitude + Attitude Matters

22 amanda September 5, 2011 at 11:58 am

Ha, not everyone has a 3-day weekend. Boo! Enjoy your day off for those of us still laboring! πŸ™‚

23 Kristin @ FoodFash September 5, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I would have never guessed fluffy whites were necessary for fluffy waffles, but now that you mention it… An embarrassing “aha!” moment! πŸ™‚
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..A Labor Day Morning

24 Carissa September 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I have the same cookbook! I love it!

Good to know the egg white secret! I will try that…one day…when I have kids…and they eat carbs! haha!
Carissa recently posted..Orlando Magical Dining Month- Morton’s

25 Kathleen September 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Bacon is one of the reasons that I could never become a vegetarian. Along with sausage. The smell of bacon sizzling on the stovetop is one of my favs. And now I get tormented with the smell of bacon on my runs near the cafeterias on SU campus. Good to read that other healthy living bloggers indulge –
Kathleen recently posted..Happy Labor Day!!

26 Jackie @ That Deep Breath September 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I seriously never would have thought to mix lemon with bacon…but I guess it really is true, bacon does go great with everything!
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..Better Breakfast Month & New Oatmeal Recipe

27 Melody September 5, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I haven’t had a waffle in the longest time and that looks DELICIOUS. I’m going to go see what I can do…
Melody recently posted..Random Eats

28 Fallon September 5, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I saw those cookie cakes in the stores this weekend.. I really wanted one but with only 2 people here… that be a lot of cookie cake and I’d probably eat most of it. No go for me!

The waffles look scrumptious, lemon and bacon? I like that!
Fallon recently posted..Extra Cannoli Cream…

29 River September 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I often have bacon and cream on pancakes. YUM.
River recently posted..Weekend Recap :: Loving Lush

30 Sana September 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm

You would add bacon to a waffle! Love your Meghann combos!
Sana recently posted..A dedicated post is the best gift you will ever get!

31 Lorin September 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Theres this donut place near my school that sells unique donuts, such as peanut butter filled donuts, pb and j donuts, and maple bacon bar donut. I’ve never gotten it because I’m vegetarian, but it sounds interesting.

32 Sophie September 6, 2011 at 4:37 am

Haha, I love the idea of a dessert after breakfast! Have a safe journey home πŸ™‚
Sophie recently posted..Thought For Monday!

33 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates September 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

This is one of the best breakfast posts I’ve seen in… ever! I agree. Bacon makes everything better.

Cookie cake takes me waaaay back to the roller skating birthday parties of my childhood. I forgot all about those giant pizza-like cookie cake-pies until I saw that picture. Thanks so much!
Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Rainy Tuesday Morning:0 Nicole:1