Dear Mom…

by Meghann on September 2, 2011

Dearest Mother,

Please accept my sincere apologizes for making a grave error in my morning post.

I realize now that it is, in fact, NOT your 16th time turning 35 – oh, no, you have a few years to go for that – but in reality only your 12th.

This is still not an age that entirely reflects your youthful energy, good looks (thank you for passing those genetics along πŸ˜‰ ), or your vibrant spirit, but it is an age that means you are in your prime and to work it, girl.

Please forgive me,

Your loving daughter

Umm… when you get a call from your Mom informing you of a mathematical error that accidentally aged her 4 years older in your morning post, you get on your knees and grovel.

As much as I joked about, my Mom is damn proud to be turning 47 today, but something tells me she isn’t quite ready for 51 yet. Don’t worry, Mom, that would make me 30 and I’m not ready for that yet either.

One year at a time….. one year at a time….

We’re packing up and heading to the east coast to spend the birthday weekend with my parents. The fridge is low on food, but there was just enough veggies to make a pretty decent salad for lunch.

I grilled the eggplant with some salt and pepper and added it to a bed of spinach with roasted red peppers, olives, cherry tomatoes, and shredded slices of deli ham.

I had a corn tortilla on the side for a healthy dose of carbs. πŸ™‚

I needed to finish up work and start packing.

It’s almost the weekend!!!

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm

My mom being 12 years older than yours probably would’ve killed me had I aged her by 4 extra years! haha
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Massage this…

2 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

bahhhhh I saw the picture of that grilled eggplant and the shape and shine of it had me convinced it was a fish. A whole entire fish that you’d grilled, and topped your salad with.

I know you like to make some pretty wacky concoctions depending on what you have left in the fridge, but that one genuinely weirded me out.

Phew, dodged that bullet with some classic eggplant.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Foothills Brewing + City Beverage: Winston Salem Beer Scene

3 Sophie September 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I thought the same!
Sophie recently posted..Checking In!

4 Laura @ Backstage Balance September 2, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Oh, no! Too funny about miscalculating your Mom’s age. My parents are both 59, and I couldn’t imagine them being 47. It must be fun to have young(ish) parents!
The grilled eggplant looks great! I had my boyfriend pick up an eggplant last week with the intention of making Julie at Peanut Butter Finger’s eggplant lasagna, but now that it’s in the 90s again I may have to grill it Meghann’style.
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..September 1st; but first…

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm

The eggplant looks awesome!! I have been loving grilled eggplant lately and am trying to do as much grilling as I can before the weather gets cooler again. Sounds like you’ve got a great weekend planned!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Fit Bit Friday 9

6 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 2, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Happy birthday to your mom! My mom is 48 and I think she would kill me if I implied she was any older πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

7 Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover September 2, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Hahahaha – you obviously didn’t do it on purpose! πŸ˜‰
Happy Birthday to your beautiful Mom, Meghann!
xoxoxo
Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover recently posted..Short and Sweet

8 Gina September 2, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I’m years younger than you and my mom is older than yours! whoa

9 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner September 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Oh no! My mom would KILL me if I did that! (She is almost exactly 30 years older than me, and I asked her this past year what it felt like to be closer to 60 than to 50… she was not happy!) Happy birthday Mama Anderson!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..“you’re an inspiration”

10 Biz September 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Happy Birthday to your Momma (and her twin!). Have a great weekend Meghann!
Biz recently posted..Hooray for Friday!

11 Hope September 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Happy Birthday to your mom! πŸ™‚ I love grilled eggplant! So tasty! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..I Got Punked At Dogfish Head Brewery!…

12 Lara @ TresLaLa September 2, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I was thinking how young your mom was this morning (even at 4 years older than her real age!). I’m 33, and my mom is 68, and my dad is 79! When I was in elementary school, friends used to ask why my grandpa always came to pick me up, or come to my concerts, etc. Ha!
Lara @ TresLaLa recently posted..Attack β€˜em for a Victory!

13 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Yay weekend! Hope you have fun at home (it’s so much better going home as an established adult, isn’t it? something about it being by choice.. haha)
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Hair CUT!

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm

WOOT for the weekend! So excited πŸ™‚ Have fun!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Tuna Fish Delight

15 Meghan September 2, 2011 at 8:16 pm

hahah toooo funny! Happy birthday to your momma (and aunt!) Love corn tortillas πŸ™‚
Meghan recently posted..Will Run for Chocolate (22)

16 mary September 2, 2011 at 8:54 pm

mmmm Eggplant. Happy B-day to your mom and your aunt! πŸ™‚
mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Bacon Wrapped Brusels Sprouts

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 2, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Happy birthday to your mom!! She’s so young!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday… numero treis

18 kathleen @ the daily crumble September 2, 2011 at 9:21 pm

happy birthday to mrs. meghann! (haha that doesn’t sound right…)

have a safe trip and a wonderful celebration!!

19 Sana September 3, 2011 at 1:25 am

Aww, your mom looks young πŸ™‚ and is the same age as mine and I am a few years younger than you!
Sana recently posted..What is Taro?

20 Carissa September 3, 2011 at 11:32 am

too funny! I’m sure mom didn’t like to be aged early! My mom wouldn’t either!

Have a great weekend trip!
Carissa recently posted..Football time! 5 rules for football party success

21 Sophie September 3, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I was just thinking about how young your Mum looks, and is, without taking 4 more years off! I am 22 and my Mum is 57…she was almost as old as your Mum when she had me! Mental!
Sophie recently posted..Checking In!

22 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Your mom is young! What’s weird is that I used to think 30 was “so old”…now 50 seems young. I must be getting old :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Sunday