Need for Speed

by Meghann on August 31, 2011

I feel the need…

…the need for speed!

10 points to who ever can name that movie. πŸ˜‰

It was all about speed in the pool this morning. My goal was to gun it for each set and take a nice, long rest in between.

Here’s what I ended up with:

Warm Up

• 2 x 100 fast w/ 20 sec rest
  • 4 x 50 fast w/ 10 sec rest
  • 8 x 25 fast w/ 5 sec rest

Cool Down

• 100 Easy

Total: 1800

I averaged :25 for my 25s, :52 for my 50s, 1:50 for my 100s, and hit 3:39 for my 200.

I. Kicked. Butt.

Whoop. Whoop.

πŸ™‚

After giving it my all in the pool, I headed to the weight room for New Rules of Lifting for Women Stage 3B.

Wow. This one is tough.

I’m actually still a little sore from 3A on Monday. The workouts are becoming tougher and my body is loving it. It hurts so good. πŸ˜‰

Breakfast was fig-eriffic.

Fresh figs + fig cake + fig yogurt = fig-eriffic

The idea came from the new Honey Fig Oikos I picked up at Publix over the weekend.

Honey Fig? I’m so there!

Unfortunately on it’s own, the flavor is lacking. It’s not terribly sweet (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing), but was missing the actual fig flavor. It was more similar to plain yogurt than anything else. I think some whole figs incorporated on the bottom would have made for a better chew and stronger flavor.

However, the yogurt did work well mixed with some Quaker Life Cereal, Kashi Go Lean Crisp, fresh figs, and some left over Lemon-Fig Cake crumpled on top.

Fig-errific indeed. πŸ˜‰

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 31, 2011 at 10:18 am

TOP GUN πŸ™‚
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

2 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 31, 2011 at 10:20 am

Ok, I loves me some Martha. I am MAKING that cake tomorrow.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Fall Back Wednesday.

3 lynne@LGSMASH August 31, 2011 at 10:23 am

top gun fosho!

i just bought a voskos greek yogurt – fig flavor – and am excited to try it later today! yum!

4 Elizabeth August 31, 2011 at 10:24 am

Alternatively..Mary Kate and Ashley’s Holiday in the Sun πŸ˜‰

5 Pamela @ girlgonewestblog.com August 31, 2011 at 11:35 am

Hah, that’s what I was thinking!
Pamela @ girlgonewestblog.com recently posted..Quality Time

6 becki August 31, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Hah. That was my first thought as well! Before Top Gun! I know every line from that movie. I was obsessed with MK&A for most of my childhood.

I need a beach, and I need a martini…STAT!

7 Angela @ My Pinky Toes August 31, 2011 at 10:24 am

I’m so impressed with people who can swim fast! I would be so slow and only be able to do a couple laps!
Angela @ My Pinky Toes recently posted..My Proudest Moment, Marathon Recap

8 mary August 31, 2011 at 10:24 am

I didnt even know they made fig yogurt!
mary recently posted..August Goals in Review

9 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 31, 2011 at 10:25 am

This reminds me– I need to get figs!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..The Art of Cooking for One

10 Cait's Plate August 31, 2011 at 10:33 am

HOLIDAY IN THE SUN!!! πŸ™‚

11 Summer August 31, 2011 at 10:43 am

I thought the same thing about the Honey Fig! Not impressed. It was just…bland. I recommend the Voskos Fig and also the LibertΓ© Date and Fig. The Voskos is blended, and the LibertΓ© has stuff on the bottom. Yum!

12 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 31, 2011 at 10:44 am

Bummer. I wanted to try that flavor bec it sounded so good.

And love that feeling after a good speed session!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Blog Mission Statement

13 Erin@JustBreathe August 31, 2011 at 10:44 am

yes! Holiday in the Sun! I’m glad I’m not the only looney out there who knows that πŸ™‚

I think my weekend goal will be to TRY a fig!
Erin@JustBreathe recently posted..48 hours in 120 Seconds

14 Angela @ Momethis August 31, 2011 at 10:49 am

Im on a fig kick too so thanks for the cake recipe. Im going to try it asap.
Angela @ Momethis recently posted..Apricot Fig Glazed Pork Chops

15 Megan @ Life As Megan Knows it August 31, 2011 at 10:56 am

Way to go on getting faster Meghann! That’s great!
Megan @ Life As Megan Knows it recently posted..5 miles

16 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 31, 2011 at 11:09 am

You are really making me want some figs! πŸ™‚

17 Laura August 31, 2011 at 11:21 am

I start stage 2 on Monday. YAYYYYY
Laura recently posted..The City Person’s Guide to Nascar

18 Erica August 31, 2011 at 11:22 am

TOP GUN! I was totally watching that on TV last night. Classic.

19 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 31, 2011 at 11:29 am

Mmmm looks figalicious! Love a Good strength workout… Like a lot. Nice swim this am!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Blackberry Almond Smoothie

20 Liz @ Southern Charm August 31, 2011 at 11:39 am

Loveeee your breakfast … please invite me next time you have this πŸ™‚
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..LSU Gameday Fashion & GIVEAWAY

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 31, 2011 at 11:48 am

I want some FIGS now. And bad!! Thanks girl πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Healthy Exercise

22 Ashley @ The Fit Academic August 31, 2011 at 11:58 am

Are you kidding me? Who doesn’t know Top Gun!!?
I’m loving all the fig stuff! I soooo want to try that lemon-fig cake (only I don’t want to have to make it myself – just send me Derick’s half, mkay?) ; )
Way to go on the speed workout!

23 Kelly August 31, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I was beaten to the punchline by so many! Love Top Gun.

24 Alex August 31, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I tried the fig oikos two weeks ago and I agree that the actual fig flavor is not very strong. I thought it just tasted like the regular honey flavor.
Alex recently posted..The Art of Clean Up – Ursus Wehrli

25 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 31, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Haha it’s fig now, but in a month it will be pumpkin everything πŸ™‚ I can’t wait!!

Great job on your swim today, I usually find swimming laps to be dull– but with a plan like that it must make the time fly by.
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Yoga Noodle

26 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 31, 2011 at 12:46 pm

My boyfriend LOVES quoting Top Gun! Sometimes I feel like I live with Maverick.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Eating in: Stuffed chicken

27 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 31, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Interesting new flavor of Oikos. I haven’t seen it in the stores around here.

Very impressive speed workout – grats.

What is a pull buoy?
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Salmon fried rice and one for the dogs

28 Meghann August 31, 2011 at 1:05 pm

It’s the floatie thingy that you put between your legs when you swim http://www.texasswimshop.com/store/catalog/Speedo%20Pull%20Buoy.jpg

29 Amelia August 31, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I’ve tried that fig and honey flavor and totally agree with your review. Also, I find it to be a lot soup-ier/runnier than regular greek yogurt.
Amelia recently posted..Amelia: Run in the Streets

30 Heather August 31, 2011 at 1:19 pm

If you can find it in your area, Voskos brand Fig Greek yogurt is amazing!
Heather recently posted..The Mandatory Fall Blog Post

31 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates August 31, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Holly cow that fig-tastic breakfast is beautiful! I’ve never heard of fig cake. I must remedy that soon πŸ™‚
Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Little Owl

32 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates August 31, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Oops. Holy. Holy cow. Holly cow would make a cute name for a cow friend though.
Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Little Owl