Figgy Goodness

by Meghann on August 30, 2011

I <3 Figs!

They’re juicy. They’re tasty. And they’re only in season for a few weeks a year. When they do go on sale, I stock up in fears they won’t be there the following week.

Like on Sunday, when I purchased two large cartons without a second thought.

Figs are great, but they go bad quickly. I’m guesstimating I have 3-4 days before these sweet figs become mushy and flavorless. Not cool.

So, my question to you is – what do I do with them?! Anyone have a great recipe for fresh figs? Maybe a delicious baked good or a suggestion for how to make them for dinner?! I hate to see any of these figs go to waste!

I decided to incorporate the figs in today’s lunch as a salad topper.

The figs joined some cherry tomatoes, goat cheese, and a vidalia vinaigrette on a bed of spinach.

The salad was paired with a slice of left over pizza from last night’s dinner.

Something to laugh about

313974_783658619742_6108041_39315911_3974177_n.jpg

How can you not burst out in laughter over the ridiculousness that is this photo? 😉

Probably one of my most favorite photo booth photos ever!

This is a close second. 🙂

204816.jpg

Much love to Kristin and Allison for rockin’ the photobooth with me at Healthy Living Summit!

Something else to laugh about…

Check out this recap of the MTV VMAs from TV.com. You’ll laugh. You’ll Cry. You’ll wonder why the heck you were watching the VMAs like a teeny bopper on Sunday night in the first place.

One last thing…

I don’t know what she did, but she has ‘guilty’ written all over her.

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I was going to suggest goat cheese + honey on top of them but looks like you kind of did that with the salad already. I love figs too so I tend to eat them simply to enjoy the flavor rather than baking them into something.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Back in business

2 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Haha if THAT isn’t a face of guilt, I don’t know what is.
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Christmas for Breakfast

3 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

girl-you need this recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fig-and-almond-tart-recipe/index.html
also, eatliverun does a fig bar that is TDF.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Celebrity Smackdown

4 Silvia @ skinny jeans food August 30, 2011 at 1:36 pm

FIGS! Pizza with proscuitto, blue cheese, some walnuts, sliced figs and a drizzle of honey!
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..After the storm the sun returns

5 Allie August 30, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Freeze them! I am assuming you could do that…(like I do with kiwi, strawberries, nectarines, etc.) and then you could have them all year round!
Allie recently posted..Baking With My Bestest

6 Liz @ Southern Charm August 30, 2011 at 1:38 pm

1) That salad looks amazing! Can’t wait to see what other people say to do with the figs.
2) Bahaha. Those pictures are hilarious!! How fun.

7 Clare August 30, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Fig and Fennel Chicken…in the crockpot (sub fresh figs for dried). http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=3933

Also, I love topping a pizza crust with goat cheese and figs, baking it (the figs get nice and caramelized) then topping with arugula and a drizzle of balsamic. Delish!

8 KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness August 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm

My favorite pizza at the “gourmet” pizza places is fig, caramelized onion and goat cheese flatbread pizza. It’s DELICIOUS!

I’ve never recreated it myself but I’m sure google would have some of the recipes.
KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness recently posted..24 and Chinese Take-out

9 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Hahaha I love the picture of Maddie, I am sure you will find whatever she is feeling guilty about sooner rather than later!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

10 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots August 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I’ve never had figs! Or even seen them in the grocery store. 🙁
Cassie @ Back to Her Roots recently posted..goals for the week

11 Kathryn @ Flopoodle August 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Love the guilty expression 😀

Once I had some figs, and I had some plain cheesecake, and I decided to put them together. I put little slices of cheesecake on the figs, and it was to die for.
Kathryn @ Flopoodle recently posted..Dropped In The Deep End

12 allison @ thesundayflog August 30, 2011 at 1:49 pm

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha!! i love!
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..HLS Photobooth Photos

13 Mellissa August 30, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Figs on pizza- so amazing! In salads, in oatmeal and great on cereal.
Mellissa recently posted..Changing Perspectives

14 Becca August 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Wasn’t it you that made the fig and brie pizza with some kind of nut and honey! Make that again! Yum

15 Meghann August 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Yeah I made that last year! Only problem is I just made pizza last night. Maybe I’ll make an individual one tomorrow. 🙂

16 Cait's Plate August 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I need to get my hands on some figs!! I love those pictures of your guys, hahaha. They just totally made my day.

And uuuuh ohhhh Maddie!! What did you dooooooo! Haha. My sister’s dog gets the SAME look!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Delicatessen

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm

LOL- you buy figs like I buy watermelon! I only tasted a fig for the first time about a year ago, and thought it was a bit “meh”, but right now I’m absolutely ADORING fig-infused vinegar on salads. It is unbelievable!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..August Goal Check-In

18 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm

What a beautiful fig salad!! Love it!! I’m so going to look for figs next week!

Your dog is too cute!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Date Nights: A Must For Anyone!

19 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I don’t really have much experience making it myself, but I think that fig jam is.. the jam haha.

When my dog gives me that look, it would generally mean she had an accident somewhere in the house during the night haha. Might want to start looking around!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..When Technology Gets You Down

20 Laurie August 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm

LOL Maddie!!!! My dogs do that to when they did something wrong!

21 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food August 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I say put the figs on pizza or sandwiches, particularly paninis. They are also delicious cooked into a sauce of sorts that will keep in the fridge for at least a few days longer.

Ohh Maddie, what did you do?? 😛

22 sweeter salt August 30, 2011 at 2:34 pm

i made this recipe last fall and it was really good (and easy). Chicken with Red Wine and Balsamic Glazed Figs: http://sweetersalt.com/2010/10/28/chicken-with-red-wine-and-balsamic-glazed-figs/

I’m not a huge fan of figs, but i love them cooked up in tasty recipes.

laura
sweeter salt recently posted..Honeymoon Recap – Oregon and Washington

23 Hillary August 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I need figs in my life now. I went to TJ’s to buy some fig butter, and they were already sold out! Roar!

24 Corey @ Learning Patience August 30, 2011 at 2:39 pm

never ever had a fig….ever.
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Move Over Crispy Kale!

25 Mahealani @ Pu`uhonua August 30, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I had only ever had them dried so when I had a fresh one it was mushy by comparison. I grew to love them over 2 summers, but I still only eat the ones that are a bit firmer than totally ripe.
Mahealani @ Pu`uhonua recently posted..TOTAL FAIL

26 Kate August 30, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I did the same thing last year, but we just ate a LOT of roasted figs stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in proscuitto. If they do start to get a little soft before you can use them all, cook them down into a compote with a little water, lemon zest, honey and salt — it’s really good on oatmeal or yogurt. Or on ice cream.
Kate recently posted..Louie

27 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 30, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Those figs look so ripe.

Lol, brace yourself for something shredded – Maddie’s face tells it all 🙂
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Savory mashed potato pancake

28 Lisa August 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I’d suggest a lemon fig cake. Simply slice the figs and toss them with spiced rum, cinnamon and brown sugar. Let that mixture sit for at least 15 minutes. Then put the fig mixture on the bottom of the cake pan and then top with a box mix lemon cake. Bake according to box directions and serve with whip cream. It’s light, simple, and in my opinion delicious.

29 Meghann August 30, 2011 at 2:50 pm

This sounds AMAZING!!!!!!! Stopping for a box lemon cake on the way home!

30 Mahealani @ Pu`uhonua August 30, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Aside from the obvious fig tart (that Giada recipe is one I’ve done before!), my grandma used to make an awesome fig compote: Quarter a bunch of figs and put in tall sauce pan. Add water about halfway up the figs and a dash of sugar (or agave, honey, stevia). Cook on low till the figs fall apart and the consistency is what you desire (it will thicken a bit as the mixture cools). Store in a mason or other airtight jar in the fridge! She used to spread it on toast, over vanilla ice cream, stirred into yogurt, or smeared on the top of a cheesecake. It is very versatile and super easy to make. Sometimes I toss in a cinnamon stick, other times I add a dash of vanilla extract, or sprinkle on some nutmeg while cooking.
Mahealani @ Pu`uhonua recently posted..TOTAL FAIL

31 Meghann August 30, 2011 at 2:52 pm

This is my plan when any of them start to go bad. 🙂

32 Mary August 30, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Great idea!!!

33 Cheryl August 30, 2011 at 3:01 pm

OMG, so guilt ridden in that pic, but she is so freaking cute – I know you CAN’T stay mad at her…how can you not want to smother her with Mama love?!!!

34 Maria August 30, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I’ve never had a fig before…maybe I need to buy some today and try one out!

35 KatieG. @ Just Roll With It August 30, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I’ve never had a fig, I’ll see if they are in stores here in MD next week on my grocery trip.
Aw, Maddie! She looks so cute and so guilty at the same time!
KatieG. @ Just Roll With It recently posted..7 Years Ago

36 Fallon August 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Figs as a pizza topping could be interesting!
Fallon recently posted..Grilled Basil Chicken Breasts

37 Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites August 30, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Ohhh I too adore figs! Especially those big dried Turkish figs… stuffed with almond butter!

But for fresh figgies, they make great pizza toppings, or reduce them down for an ice cream topping, chop them up and add to pancake or waffle batter… grilled figs perhaps? Hm that may be fun to try!
Sarah @ Sarah’s Modern Bites recently posted..Basil Feta Burgers and Andrew’s Hangover Easy Chicken and Rice Soup

38 Alexa @ Simple Eats August 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm

LOVE figs! They’re so amazing when mixed with cheese in a salad. I like them drizzled with balsamic, too!

39 Vikki August 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

My grandma has a fig tree. She always makes fig preserves. My grandaddy used to like them on toast all year round.
Vikki recently posted..Hooping Practice

40 Rachel August 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I sandwiched ricotta cheese between fig halves for part of my lunch yesterday. It was fabulous!
Rachel recently posted..Lazy oatmeal morning

41 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 30, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever tried figs! I was eyeing them up at the grocery store this week though!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..First Day

42 Mariel August 30, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I made fig & goat cheese stuffed chicken and it was really good! http://mardtobe.blogspot.com/2011/08/now-bake-us-some-figgy-chicken.html

43 julie August 30, 2011 at 4:47 pm

this chicken dish is made with dried figs, but i think they would taste great with fresh ones too. its amazing.

44 Rachel Wilkerson August 30, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I love fresh figs! I just had them for the first time last year. Here is my favorite way to eat them: http://www.rachelwilkerson.com/2010/08/20/cheese-stuffed-figs/

Make them as part of “The Feast” (I explain in the post) and you will love!
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..Introspecs

45 AK August 30, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Make fig jam and have a cheese plate with granny smith apple slices, a roasted head of garlic, some veiny bleu cheese and crostini!

46 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 30, 2011 at 5:25 pm

haha your photo of your dog is priceless!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..A Perfect Dessert

47 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 30, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I would make fig jam!!! Here’s a version I did (lopw sugar!) http://www.bakebikeblog.com/2011/03/fig-and-orange-jam-low-sugar.html
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Semi-dried tomato chicken burgers

48 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 30, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I had a really great flat bread once that had caramelized onions, figs, spinach, and some sort of cheese on it. I dont have the recipe sadly but it was awesome.
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..That Magic Number

49 Tracy August 30, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Last year I had a BUNCH of figs that were over-ripening at the same time so I cut them all in half and froze them. I used them to make fig/banana smoothies. They were great!

50 Army Amy* August 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm

My dog makes the same guilty face when he’s been up to no good!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Welcome to Bakersville

51 Ari @ Skinnified August 30, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I just made the most delicious fig recipe–it called for dry figs, but I bet it would be even better with fresh ones! http://skinnified.blogspot.com/2011/08/do-you-like-figs.html

52 Shayla @ The Good Life August 30, 2011 at 6:26 pm

That salad looks delish! I’ve actually never purchased figs before to use in any of my meals so I’m looking forward to see how you use up all of yours! 🙂
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Soaking Up The End of Summer

53 Ashley August 30, 2011 at 6:56 pm

This post was perfect..my friend and I just bought some figs and we didn’t know what to do with them! Now thanks to the commentors we have some great ideas
Ashley recently posted..Life Is Crazy

54 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 30, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Ok I found the recipe 🙂 Here you go:

Flat Bread Pizza with Balsamic Macerated Figs, Wilted Arugula, Crispy Bacon and Aged Parmesan Cheese

Balsamic Macerated Figs
10 dried figs cut into quarters
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons water
Method
Place all ingredients to a small pot, simmer and reduce until all of the liquid is 90% evaporated, set aside.

Caramelized Onions
1 large yellow Spanish onion
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon canola oil
Salt as needed
Water as needed
Method
In a sauté pan, heat butter and oil together, add onions and begin to caramelize. Add a pinch of salt and continue to cook until the onions become brown. As the onions are cooking, continuously scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Once onions are caramelized, reserve for pizza. HINT: If the bottom of the pan begins to become a bit dark, “deglaze” it with a small amount of water, this will release any stuck-on onion so it doesn’t burn.

Wilted Arugula
2 cups raw arugula
2 tablespoons butter
Method
Melt butter, add arugula and cook on medium low until wilted. Add a pinch of salt and reserve in paper towels to remove any excess moisture.

Making the Pizza
1 onion, caramelized
10 figs, quartered
2 cups packed arugula, wilted
2 each naan flat breads
8 strips apple wood smoked bacon, cooked until crisp
Aged parmesan cheese as needed

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a pizza stone in the oven to preheat (if you do not have a pizza stone, place the pizza directly on the oven rack once assembled). Once all ingredients are prepped, start with placing the caramelized onion on the bottom of the flat bread. Next spread the macerated figs out evenly and drizzle any left over balsamic syrup over the flat bread. On top of the figs and onions, place the wilted arugula in a thin layer (it is best to press out any excess moisture from the arugula after wilting). Top the arugula with crumbled crispy bacon. Place the pizza in the oven, cook 7-10 minutes or until the flat bread is crispy and the toppings are warmed through. Pull the pizza out of the oven and shave aged parmesan cheese (as much or as little as you like). Allow the pizza to sit with the cheese for three to four minutes, slice and enjoy….
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..A Girl with a Plan…and a Recipe

55 Toni August 30, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Super simple to make not to mention super tasty! Slice the figs 3/4 of the way open, stuff with goat chesse, then wrap it with a piece of prosciutto to ‘close’ it up. Bake on baking sheet for a few minutes and enjoy the wonderful sweet and savory combo!

56 Sarah @TheExPatBride August 30, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Try this recipe for homemade fig newtons!

Sarah @TheExPatBride recently posted..Project Honeymoon: Day 11

57 Julie August 30, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Make a salad with real mozzarella (not the block kind, the soft kind that usually comes in brine), tomatoes, figs and balsamic vinegar. You can use spinach as a base or just use the tomatoes figs and mozzarella. This is my favorite salad ever! Or make home-made fig newtons for an awesome portable snack.

58 Kristin @ FoodFash August 30, 2011 at 7:51 pm

LOL!!!! Those pictures just made my day! Is figgy jam a possibility??
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Breakfast With Gram

59 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 30, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I’ve never had a fresh fig before, but I’m dying to try them! Are they expensive?

I’ve made homemade Fig Newtons before, but the recipe calls for dried figs- perhaps fig jam?
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Ice Cream Cake!

60 Meghann August 30, 2011 at 8:17 pm

They are a little pricey, but they’re good. 🙂

61 Hilary August 30, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I shy away from buying the figs…I am always tempted, but fear I won’t eat them and also, they’re not local and I’ve got so much good local stuff available to me right now. I do love ’em though.

62 Ali @ Ali Runs August 30, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I can honestly say I have never had a fig before, but good luck eating them all! 😉 Love the goofy pics!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Another School Year

63 Steph @ Running in the Kitchen August 30, 2011 at 8:29 pm

It must be fate! I just posted a recipe for a blue cheese and fig stuffed pork tenderloin. It’s one of my go-to weeknight meals!

64 Sophie August 31, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Haha geeky glasses are such a great photo booth prop!!
Sophie recently posted..The One Where I Pour My Heart Out.

65 Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy September 1, 2011 at 3:54 am

They look good! Super easy and delicious is the fig sorbet / granita I make with figs – it’s on my food blog: http://www.msadventuresinitaly.com/blog/2007/07/03/fresh-fig-sorbet/

You can use lemon or lime as the acid in the recipe 🙂 Those Mission figs will give it a really nice color, too.
Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy recently posted..Traveling? Pack Food in your Suitcase