Crampy and Grumpy

by Meghann on August 30, 2011

I’m not in the best mood this morning.

Barely two weeks into the new school year and I am already tired of school traffic. It took me 45 minutes this morning to go to a trailhead that usually takes me 20 minutes.

Combine that with the fact I had an unexpected visit from my monthly friend (and all the baggage that goes with it), means my morning ride was less than stellar. I was crampy, grumpy, and sooooo not wanting to be out there. I knocked out 15 miles on the bike (barely), then headed out for 4 miles on foot.

I almost turned around at 1.5 for a total of 3 miles, but then I thought of my goal for the week of hitting 20 miles on foot and knew every mile counted. The closer I get to Augusta, the more adamant I am at sticking with my goals.

Thanks to a heavy duty layer of mole skin, the blisters on my feet were the least of my worries this morning. I forgot they were there until I took my shoes back off at the car. Mole skin maybe the best thing ever invented. πŸ™‚

Back home I was really craving an english muffin with peanut butter for breakfast.

I added a peach and some Love Grown granola and called it a meal.

The Cinnamon Raisin Love Grown granola was a HLS swag bag find and it was my first time trying it. It was a very hearty granola with a great cinnamon flavor, but not to heavy on the sweet. I loved it.

Let’s hope this bad mood turns around. I think some midol and not leaving the house between the house of 2 and 4 will help. πŸ™‚

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 30, 2011 at 10:18 am

I feel your pain! I just started back up at my University and have to plan on leaving hours before my class to avoid crazy traffic πŸ™
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Christmas for Breakfast

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 30, 2011 at 10:18 am

Hope you feel better, it sucks being a woman sometimes πŸ˜‰
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Back in business

3 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 30, 2011 at 10:19 am

Way to stick with your run even though you weren’t feeling it! I hate working out when that time of month rolls through, but I always try to force myself through it.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..WildSide BBQ Bar and Grill

4 Coco August 30, 2011 at 10:24 am

Rock it lady! I’ve totally been there, and it’s great that you stuck it out!
Coco recently posted..Protein packed!

5 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food August 30, 2011 at 10:26 am

Sorry you’re having a tough day but good for you for pushing though it. Hope you have a better afternoon! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..7 Less Obvious Reasons I’ll Be Happy to Start a New Job

6 melissa August 30, 2011 at 10:34 am

that’s no fun. I’ll have to dig through my sway and check out the granola.
melissa recently posted..Out of the Woods

7 Alaina August 30, 2011 at 10:40 am

ahh! so happy to be able to comment on this post! i just got my period for the first time in two years!!!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ I was working out with cramps this morning. I was like omg, how does no one ever talk about the horror of this!!!

hope you feel better!
Alaina recently posted..First Day of School

8 kristen (inspiredbydooce) August 30, 2011 at 10:43 am

Back to school traffic is brutal. I’m very thankful that my morning involves just watching the traffic (from the comfort of my home office) instead of driving in it.
kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..chili in august

9 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 30, 2011 at 10:44 am

Sometimes an afternoon of relaxation and laziness is just what the doctor orders!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

10 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 30, 2011 at 10:56 am

University students go back to school on the 6th here, and I am cringing at the thought of increased traffic already. I think your day of relaxation sounds lovely (and very necessary too, given the circumstances!)
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..August Goal Check-In

11 Cait's Plate August 30, 2011 at 10:57 am

I’ve totally had days like that – especially walking around NYC in the summer time when all the tourists are here! At least you had a fabulous breakfast to come home to πŸ™‚

12 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 30, 2011 at 11:02 am

We have a lot of school traffic here in VA too. Its like a totally different place in the summer. Im also hating it right now. πŸ˜€
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..That Magic Number

13 Danielle Dillard August 30, 2011 at 11:06 am

Great job sticking it out on the run. It’s so easy to turn around early isn’t it?! Constant battle with me. I wish I would have known about those mole skins… I got nasty blisters from a 7 mile run on the beach earlier this year and It was rough to walk for a few weeks after!
Danielle Dillard recently posted..6 Weeks Down, 10 Weeks to Go: My Plan to Make My Training Stronger

14 Holly August 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

Great job finishing out the run! It’s so tempting to quit early sometimes but you never regret the extra time it took to finish the workout when you’re done. πŸ™‚

Those peaches look fabulous, I think I have a craving now.
Holly recently posted..I Think I Might Like Tuesdays

15 Liz @ IHeartVegetables August 30, 2011 at 11:31 am

Awww I hope you feel better! I know how those moods are!

16 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 30, 2011 at 11:37 am

Oy. Those days make me long for when I will be an old crone. I am a midol and coffee mainliner for 3 days a month.

17 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 30, 2011 at 11:43 am

I swear periods come at the worst times! Hope you feel better πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Ice Cream Cake!

18 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 30, 2011 at 11:45 am

Oh no, I’m sorry! I know that sucks…the monthly visitor and all its baggage is a real pain..sorry it snuck up on you! Seriously well done though for ploughing on with your workout regardless, and having a delicious healthy breakfast as well! I hope your day looks up and you feel better soon! :-)xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..dance, dance, wherever you may be…

19 The Teenage Taste August 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

Ugh sorry to hear about the cramps, Meghann! That time of the month is the worst!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Nutella Cheesecake Brownies

20 michelle August 30, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Lady cramps blow. I’m really regular and always look to see ahead when I’ll be having my monthly visitor and plan marathons and races for when I know I won’t be having it.
michelle recently posted..Germany Nightmare

21 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit August 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm

People say that exercise helps with cramps, but all I ever want to do is curl up on the couch under a blanket with a heating pad on my stomach and sleep.

22 Nikki T August 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I’m with ya on the grumpy this morning…not sure why, but I’m just feeling BLAH so far today…hopefully it turns around for the both of us!

23 Hilary August 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Yuck! Cramps=:( all of the hls granola I’ve tried so far has been fantastic. You should try the chocolate stuff if you haven’t already… It’s super yummy and chocolate always helps this time of the mOnth!
Hilary recently posted..Wheat-free Wonder

24 Dina @ DinaRuns August 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I took an unplanned rest day last week for the same reason. Just could not get out the door.

I think the strange weather here is not helping anyone’s moods. Going from tons of rain to tons of heath/humidity, is enough to drive anyone a little mental.
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..Half Marathon Training Week Four in Review

25 Dina @ DinaRuns August 30, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Heat and humidity I mean. πŸ™‚
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..Half Marathon Training Week Four in Review

26 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 30, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Right there with ya, sister. Maybe it’s the internet pheromones haha πŸ™‚

Good job sticking to your plan and finishing out your brick. Sometimes it totally sucks while you’re doing it but the pride you feel after = worth it.
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..When Technology Gets You Down

27 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs August 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm

It’s the mooooon!
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..Juice Feast

28 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 30, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I’m sorry that you’re not in the best mood today. Booo to cramps, they know how to ruin a perfectly good day!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Date Nights: A Must For Anyone!

29 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots August 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Gosh do I ever feel your pain. My town is 80,000 people and 40,000 of those are students at the university. Classes started yesterday and I almost hit 4-5 different students that don’t realize that (a) you can’t just walk out into the middle of a busy street without looking and (b) bikes have to stop at 4-way stops, too.

Hopefully it calms down for both of us soon!
Cassie @ Back to Her Roots recently posted..goals for the week

30 Stephanie @ Running in the Kitchen August 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I was having the exact same thoughts this morning! It will be another 9 months before I get a seat on my bus to work now that the kiddies are back in school.
Stephanie @ Running in the Kitchen recently posted..The kids have grown up.

31 KatieG. @ Just Roll With It August 30, 2011 at 3:43 pm

hate these days…exercise usually puts me in a better mood. or reading blogs and playing on Pinterest! Hope you feel better by now!
KatieG. @ Just Roll With It recently posted..7 Years Ago

32 Therese August 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I love Aleve even more than Midol. 2 Aleve lasts me most of the day and completely eliminates the cramps!
Therese recently posted..Extrememe Makeover: Apartment Edition

33 Kathleen August 30, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I hear you regarding all the back to school nonsense. In fact I blogged about it yesterday after a Syracuse University student almost crashed into when I was running. A walking crash but somebody could have gotten hurt. But yeah the traffic round here has totally picked up and it does make it a more stressful workout dodging all the cars
Kathleen recently posted..If I Could Turn Back Time

34 Katy @ RunKatyRun August 30, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I know what you mean about the traffic-I’m a senior at USF and the absolute worst part of college is the awful bumper to bumper traffic on Fowler and Fletcher-ugh!

Also: do you go to the trailhead at the parkway and 54? My Fiance and I are moving from Carrollwood to right off of 54 (sprinting distance to the trailhead) on the 15th. I love that we’ll have the trailhead there for running/biking and we’ll have a pool as well, but I’m still a little bummed about not being near a gym. Do you know anything about gyms in the area or some sort of group things? It’s not the gym that I’ll miss so much as the social aspect of the gym. (I’m currently lusting over an unlimitted monthly pass at Namaste Yoga in Lutz, but at $100 it’s seems soo expensive!)

35 Sarah @TheExPatBride August 30, 2011 at 10:50 pm

There is no PMSing that peanut butter can’t solve!
Sarah @TheExPatBride recently posted..Project Honeymoon: Day 12

36 Sophie August 31, 2011 at 3:12 am

Blah – I can’t believe it’s back to school time already :/
Good work sticking to your goals today – every little counts!
Sophie recently posted..Back To School!

37 Sally Anne @ PaleoRunnerGirl August 31, 2011 at 8:12 am

Gosh, I am sorry that you feel crummy! Since eating Paleo my PMS issues are completely gone. It has been incredible! I really recommend it!