Stepping up to Stage 3

by Meghann on August 29, 2011

Good Morning!

Catching up from the weekend?

Check out the awesome Savage Race I did on Saturday – a race I’m still recovering from. Ow.

I jumped right back into my regular routine this morning with a dip in the pool. Distance was the goal this morning, so I created my own workout based on 500 increments.

Warm Up:

• 100 Easy
  • 300 Kick board intervals
  • 100 Pull Buoy

Main Set:

• 5 x 100 @ 2:30
  • 2 x 250 @ 6:00
  • 1 x 500 @ 11:00

Cool Down:

• 100 Breast Stroke

Total: 2100 yds

The longer sets with limited breaks actually made the time in the pool fly by. I usually prefer short sets with lots of breaks, but I didn’t mind today’s workout at all. I guess my body is getting used to longer distances. πŸ™‚

After the pool I kicked off Stage 3 of New Rules of Lifting for Women.

IMG_2062.JPG

I meant to start Stage 3 last week, but I got lazy and was called into emergency baby sitting. Better late than never, right? πŸ˜‰

IMG_2065.JPG

As I move through the plan, the workouts are becoming more difficult and challenging in each new stage. Stage 1 was easy, stage 2 was a little more difficult, and stage 3 is the hardest yet. There’s a heavy emphasis on arms and I’m finally getting some chest action with the dumbbell incline bench press (I have a soft spot for bench presses).

I think I’m going to like this stage. πŸ™‚

I finished all three sets and headed home for breakfast.

IMG_2056.JPG

In the bowl:

• 1/2 cup Mini Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Erewhon Berry Brown Rice Crispies
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • Lemon Chobani
  • 1/2 Peach
  • Chopped Dates

IMG_2059.JPG

Now, it’s time to play catch up from the weekend myself.

Did anyone watch the VMAs last night? I could probably only name about half of the artists on the red carpet – apparently I’m not as hip to the music as I thought. I did find the Britney tribute was well done, but that’s probably only because she’s from my generation. πŸ˜‰

1 Su August 29, 2011 at 10:32 am

Are you gonna make a recap of stage 2? : )

2 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 10:36 am

Gah! I totally forgot!!! Yes, I will!. Thanks for the reminder. πŸ™‚

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

I’m glad you’re sticking to NROLFW. I’m 2 workouts away from starting stage 3 and psyched now that you say it’s got a heavy emphasis on the arms. I love working arms πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Flooded

4 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 29, 2011 at 10:38 am

I didn’t watch the VMA’s… I don’t think I know any of those artists!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Chicago Marathon Training- Week Seven

5 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 29, 2011 at 10:48 am

I watched some of the VMAs. It was almost disturbing. Maybe it was just that Lady Gaga was VERY distracting?? She reminded me of Ralph Macchio from the Karate Kid. I seriously cannot get that image out of my head now!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Pinterest Monday

6 Hillary August 29, 2011 at 10:51 am

Power outage = no VMAs, but I heard about some of the shenanigans this morning!
Hillary recently posted..C’mon Irene

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 29, 2011 at 11:04 am

I read your race recap – that’s CRAZY!! But looks like you had a ton of fun too! I didn’t watch the VMAs but I heard a recap on the radio this morning, including the announcement that Beyonce is pregnant!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Fake-Out Take-Out: Sweet and Sour Chicken

8 Cait's Plate August 29, 2011 at 11:04 am

Oooh the dates were a good call in there! I only caught glimpses of the VMAs while at the gym last night but I’m with ya…totally out of the loop!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Poor Maggie

9 Brooke August 29, 2011 at 11:10 am

I watched parts of the VMA and felt out of the loop with alot of the artists. My fave part was when Beyonce showed off her baby bump! She looked really proud…so did Jay-Z! πŸ™‚
Brooke recently posted..Duncan Farmers Market

10 Khushboo August 29, 2011 at 11:15 am

I heard Lady Gaga looked ridiculous!
Khushboo recently posted..Birthdays = another excuse to eat cake

11 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 29, 2011 at 11:15 am

I watched the VMAs and thought the same thing! I’m getting too old to keep up with all the new artists.

did anyone else find Lady Gaga’s bit getting really old, really quick? she was so annoying by the end. Guess the only way she can go out in flats now is to go in drag!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Practice Makes Doctors

12 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 29, 2011 at 11:19 am

Lifting is so much fun πŸ™‚ I bet stage 3 will be great! Nice morning swim girl.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Hood to Coast 2011

13 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 29, 2011 at 11:26 am

I loved how Beyonce announced her pregnancy. I also loved how weird Nikki Minaj was. My favorite part however, were all the tweets during the show. Classic,
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..I Rocked It Like A Hurricane.

14 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 29, 2011 at 11:26 am

Sadly I wasn’t able to watch the VMAs this year. I heard they were great though!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Now That’s a Lot of Beef!

15 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 29, 2011 at 11:44 am

I enjoyed the VMAs. Britney all the way. πŸ™‚ Although seriously—Lady Gaga, you’re weird. You’re groundbreaking. We get it. And we’re over it. At least I am!

16 Holly August 29, 2011 at 11:44 am

Your breakfast looks so good!

After reading about your NROL workouts, I think I’m going to start the program once I finish my marathon. I bought the book about 3 years ago but never started–I think now is the time!
Holly recently posted..A New Beginning

17 allison @ thesundayflog August 29, 2011 at 11:46 am

i loved the VMAs! so pumped for beyonce and jay-z. i thought she was the absolute cutest! i also cried during bruno mars’ tribute to amy winehouse….im weird like that πŸ˜‰
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..Highlights from Cape Cod 2011

18 Amy August 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Hey Meghann…I’ve been away and finally read the Savage Race post–pure awesome! I’ve been asking you for marathon advice for awhile now and you’ve been a great help, but i’m afraid i’ve had to pull out with 6 weeks to go :'( I though my knee problems were getting better, but no. I’ve been forced to limp sooner and sooner into my runs-now by mile 2.
My heart is a bit broken, but i’m going to spend time strengthening my entire body-working on my cycling and swimming…and will try again someday!
Thanks for your help and advice along the journey…short as it was…Amy

19 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I’m so sorry Amy, but good for you for listening to your body. Better to pull out now than to risk greater injury later on. Strengthen your body now and see the hard work pay off later. Good luck girl.

20 Amy August 29, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Thanks πŸ™‚ To cheer myself up i dropped everything this past weekend and drove 9 hours to volunteer in T1 and watch friends doing a full Ironman in Pentiction, BC. It was intense and awesome! I got to cheer on the Iron Nun, Sister Madonna (81 years old). Would you believe she missed the end of the bike cutoff by 13 SECONDS! Now that was heart breaking.

21 Heather August 29, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I watched them but only by fast forwarding through the DVR recording. I thought how Beyonce revealed her pregnancy was cute!
Heather recently posted..Checking In

22 Ashley August 29, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I didn’t even know the VMAs were on. I feel so out of the loop now that we don’t have cable. Wah!!
Ashley recently posted..Workin’ on My Fitness: Week 1 Recap

23 Corey @ Learning Patience August 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I failed to watch the VMAS too – had no idea they were on…Great job on the race though! The pictures were awesome!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Sometimes My Cooking Sucks

24 Laura August 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’m so excited to move on from stage 1. I’m really proud of how much weight I am lifting now (120 on the seated row, heyo!) but if I ever have to do these moves in this order again I might throw a dumbbell. Only 3 more workouts till I move on…
Laura recently posted..Welcome Race Fans

25 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 2:22 pm

haha – that’s how I felt! Stage 2 and 3 are much shorter and move quicker. Trust me, you’ll like it.

26 Army Amy* August 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I’m watching the VMA’s right now! I’m definitely feeling old if this is what “kids these days” are into!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Tyler Rose: 6 mile training run