HIM Training: Week 12

by Meghann on August 29, 2011

Another week of training for the Augusta Half Ironman has come and gone.

Here’s a look back at the first 11 weeks….

The original week 12:

Screen shot 2011-08-29 at 11.39.54 AM.png

The reality of week 12:

Screen shot 2011-08-29 at 11.44.40 AM.png

We reached a milestone this weekend! Thursday marked exactly ONE MONTH until September 25th <- D-day!!

Monday

• Rest

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Totals:

• Run: 17.1 miles
  • Bike: 69.7 miles
  • Swim: 2100 yds

Screen shot 2011-08-29 at 1.18.34 PM.png

Kind of cool how I can see that 8 hours of my week were dedicated to training. That’s a whole work day!

Training for a half ironman is interesting. I’m not sure I’ll ever feel like I’ve done enough. One week I’ll think I rocked the run, but was low on the swim; then the next week I’ll be happy with all my cycling, but feel I missed the ball on the run. I’m not sure there’s enough hours in the week to fit everything in that I want to do!

I missed the ball on my long run this week (thanks to rain and blisters), but I’m hoping to make it up in the coming week. I haven’t hit a double digit run yet in my training and this needs to change.

Thankfully my hunger levels were stable. No big cravings (except for meat!) or feeling like a bottomless pit. I definitely feel hungrier when I’m training for a marathon, opposed to training for a half ironman. I’m still sticking with my three square meals a day, plus a snack and dessert. I’m heavy on the carbs, but trying my hardest to get as much protein as I can.

My goal in the coming week is to get a double digit long run in and conquer 50 miles on the bike! Hopefully, spending the weekend with my sister and brother will help me accomplish these goals. πŸ™‚

Good thing I got my swim in early this morning, just before noon it started POURING again.

IMG_2069.JPG

Our backyard is flooded from all the rain we’ve had lately. No summer draught here.

I enjoyed my lunch inside, in the dry and ac.

IMG_2072.JPG

The main dish was a couple of Mediterranean tacos.

IMG_2079.JPG

Two corn tortillas filled with hummus, tabouli, tomatoes, red peppers, spinach, and goat cheese.

IMG_2075.JPG

With half a sweet potato and barbecue sauce on the side.

IMG_2074.JPG

Dear Rain,

Please stop. Maddie needs to potty.

xoxo Meghann

1 Cait's Plate August 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm

LOVE Wednesday’s biking picture. That’s awesome. Though I think Saturday wins for hands down most awesome workout of the week πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Back At It

2 Allison @ Food For Healing August 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm

i love biking, i need to do it more often. its so peaceful!
the savage race looks like madness!
Allison @ Food For Healing recently posted..just do it

3 mel August 29, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Meghann, do you feel like you are overworking your body? I know you are training but I read an article in Fitness yesterday and it discussed overtraining and the negative effects of it. What about just doing 4 hard workouts and three rest days or 5 moderate and 2 rest? Just wanted your opinion!

4 Danielle Dillard August 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I think you can work up to her fitness level. It looked like a hard week of training, but she’s training for a half ironman. Everyone is different. Personally 1 day of rest (if even needed – I might choose to do some yoga) is all I need. If I feel especially exhausted, I take a day of rest.
Danielle Dillard recently posted..My First 50 Mile Ride

5 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Trust me, I’ve put my body through more rigorous training than this! It’s difficult with training for an HIM because you have three sports you need to get in. I know I could step it up and do two a days to incorporate more rest days, but i would rather spread the workouts out over the week, then head to the gym twice a day.

6 Keri August 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Have you been able to maintain your period throughout this training? I know you’ve had problems in the past during your more rigerous training and I was curious if you’ve found the perfect balance. Thanks!

7 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I’m still not 100% regular, but I can tell you I had my period in the month of August!.

8 Danielle Dillard August 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Awe Maggie needs to go potty. I know, Winston’s been darting outside for a quick potty and darting back inside. Great training week!

9 KatieG. @ Just Roll With It August 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm

go Meghann go!!! Training definitely makes me hungry, and looking at your lunch is making me drool! It always feels like we have never done enough as it gets closer to a race…but it sounds like you are doing the right thing and trying to prepare yourself as much as you can!!
KatieG. @ Just Roll With It recently posted..What I Know

10 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm

My hunger goes crazy when I’m training for anything! I’m training for my second marrathon and I am starving ALL the time.
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Chicago Marathon Training- Week Seven

11 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 29, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Great job on training last week! You totally inspire me to get my booty out of the house more often to exercise– it’s easy to tell how much you enjoy yourself (most of the time!) and a reminder to all of us that working out can be fun. Bravo! πŸ™‚
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Internet Down!!

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I am a huge fan of training for something–it gives purpose to the workouts πŸ™‚

Love your meditarranean taco idea!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Mango Recipe

13 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm

you are a mother trucking BEAST. AWESOME!

14 Sophie August 29, 2011 at 4:30 pm

You could have had the rest of the week off given the Savage Race! πŸ˜‰
Congratulations on another good week’s training!
Sophie recently posted..Friend Fun & Hungover Packing.

15 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I went ballistic over carbs when training for my marathon too! It’s crazy how your body knows exactly what it needs
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Good vs. Realistic

16 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 29, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Wow, I think you are doing a great job of staying on track with your training!

Poor Maddie – my dogs refuse to go potty when it is raining too.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Teriyaki stir fry

17 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 29, 2011 at 5:41 pm

how exciting! Not long to go now!!!!! I really loved the HIM distace – and I just know you will too πŸ™‚
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..He cooks!

18 Candice August 29, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Way to go on training! it is hard to balance it all, I think your doing a great job! If I could recommend something.. do OPEN WATER training swims.. I swam a ton at the pool and only did 3 open water swims and its a lot different!

19 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I’ve been doing open water swims, but have been slacking lately. I hope to fit one in when I head home this weekend, my last one was at the beginning of August. πŸ™‚

20 Barbara August 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm

How can you train for eight hours?! That’s amazing! Iron man you are indeed! The most training I get is walking up and down the stairs in my home…how sad. Where do you go to do all this training?
Barbara recently posted..Suede Sectional Slipcovers

21 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 8:17 pm

It’s 8 hours over the course of a week. πŸ™‚ I ride on local trails, run around my neighborhood, and swim at the gym.

22 Hilary August 29, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Mmm….I’m likin’ the looks of that lunch!
Hilary recently posted..Veggin’ for the Weekend

23 Allison August 29, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I’ve never put BBQ sauce on my sweet potato but it sounds like a great combo! I’m thinking a twice baked sweet potato recipe needs to be created in the near future… I just bought a bag of them from TJ’s that need to be used!
Allison recently posted..Vanilla Apple Pie Cake with a Sweet Glaze

24 Lorin August 30, 2011 at 1:44 am

Even with regular exercise, I feel hungry! One question I have though, do you consider refueling important for like weight lifting even if it’s less than an hour or even cardio for less an hour and refueling. I feel as if some people don’t eat at all after a workout and some people do refuel. I guess it just depends on the body.

25 Ali @ Ali Runs August 30, 2011 at 7:37 am

Awesome job on this week of training! I can’t believe there is only a month left, it seems like you all just started!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Vulnerable