Cheap Shoes

by Meghann on August 29, 2011

*warning photos of my feet ahead*

Ouch.

Savage Race really did a number on my legs this weekend. I can blame the huge blister on the mix of cheap shoes and mud, but that scratch and bruise? Still trying to figure that one out. πŸ˜‰

I had quite a few questions inquiring about my decision to wear said cheap shoes. Well, let me explain…

DSCF6837.JPG

Before I moved in with Derek last March I recovered TEN pairs of old running shoes from my closet. I thought to myself ‘I don’t NEED ten pairs of old running shoes, let me keep two pairs and donate the rest.’ So I did.

Flash forward to June, when I ran Champions Mud Bash in a pair of the old shoes I kept.

DSCF6713.JPG

Adios shoes!

They never made it home.

I did purchase a new pair of running shoes back in April (or June? hard to believe I didn’t blog about it), but I like to stash my latest ‘old’ pair of running shoes in my trunk for those ‘just incase’ moments, like when I’m meeting friends for bricks or impromtu runs. Those situations arise more than I would prefer, but they happen enough, so that I need them there.

My point is, by the time Savage Race rolled around I didn’t have any running shoes I was willing to toss. That’s where the cheap shoes came into play.

They weren’t new. Actually, I had purchased them back in college as ‘gym shoes.’ Not sure I got much gym use out of them, but I have worn them hiking…

cheapshoeshiking.jpg

5k walking

cheapshoes5k.jpg

And cycling.

cheapshoestriathlon.jpg

The cheap shoes made great cycling shoes before I purchased a pair of clipless pedals a couple of months ago.

So, as you can see, I wasn’t that crazy for wearing the shoes for the Savage Race. These were shoes I’ve worn many times before and also shoes I didn’t care if I ever saw again. I’ll admit I’ve learned my lesson (and will probably just go barefoot from the beginning – my feet like to be free!), but I promise not to wear cheap shoes for a mud race again.

I’ll also think twice before tossing old running shoes. Apparently a person DOES need to keep ten pairs of old shoes. Way to feed my hoarding tendencies, mud runs!

How many old pairs of running shoes do you have in your closet?

I had my new favorite snack this afternoon: graham cracker + peanut butter + chopped dates

IMG_2091.JPG

Tonight’s dinner came courtesy of this recipe for whole wheat cornmeal pizza dough that I found via google.

IMG_2093.JPG

I wanted a cornmeal pizza crust, but this recipe was heavy on the whole wheat and light on the cornmeal. It was missing that corn bread flavor I was hoping for.

IMG_2097.JPG

Derek had fun with the zucchini and yellow squash.

15 minutes at 450

I had two slices, but wasn’t impressed.

Derek had five. I guess he was impressed.

Attune Chocolate Bar and a couple of figs for dessert.

Derek ate his dinner in bed (he wasn’t feeling the Hallmark movie I was watching in the living room). Twenty minutes later I found him like this.

Note the shoes.

Full belly. Comfy bed. He was doomed from the start.

Hopefully next time he’ll at least ditch the shoes first.

Good Night!

1 Allison @ Food for Healing August 29, 2011 at 9:46 pm

ouch!
i only have one pair of old running shoes in the closet that i need to donate. I am a vibram wearer, so my current good pair of running shoes sit most of the time in my gym bag, they do come out for spin class and when i go on bike rides; otherwise its vibrams all the way. best shoes of my life
Allison @ Food for Healing recently posted..what i want to eat..

2 Krissie J August 29, 2011 at 9:46 pm

You do know that when someone falls asleep with their shoes on that is the go-ahead to mess with them, right? πŸ˜‰ Just a thought if it happens again, hehe.
Krissie J recently posted..Ho Hum Monday

3 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Looks like someone was tired! Haha, I don’t know if I could ever fall asleep with shoes on- I would have to be reeeeally tired!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Chicago Marathon Training- Week Seven

4 wymberley August 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I just got some figs from the store. LOVE! I had a tree out back as a kid and I had not had one in 15 years…till yesterday. I have been eyeballing the fig tree in a friends yard all summer, They better keep a close watch… burglars and all.
wymberley recently posted..Fig Season

5 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I am cracking up because Peter rocks the old school Docs too! I always rag him about it.

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Right now I have my good pair of running shoes, my old pair that I now use for strength training or other cross training and the pair before that which are purely for around the house, yardwork/anything messy. If I kept more my husband may divorce me. I already take up 3/4 of the shoe rack in the garage!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Flooded

7 Heather August 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Pizza looks good! I’ve got a stash of 3 pairs of running shoes now plus the ones I’m currently running in. I tossed another old pair after the mud run I did in May, there was no salvaging them!
Heather recently posted..Checking In

8 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! August 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I have three pairs of running shoes, but I only use one for running. The other two are for times when I want to be active but I don’t need a shoe in great condition, like doing yard work or going for a nice long walk. On a separate note, are the figs near you tasty this time of year? I had one on Sunday at my local Farmers Market and almost gagged–it wasn’t sweet at all, and it was just horrible! It was very disappointing. πŸ™ I hope yours are tastier!
Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! recently posted..Lessons I’ve learned in the past few months

9 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 10:08 pm

THey’re tasty, but I’ve had better. The best figs I had were from a co-worker’s tree in Tallahassee.

10 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler August 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

“Way to feed my hoarding tendencies, mud runs!”
haha i thought that was funny, hope your feet/ legs heal up quickly!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Banana Oats and Natural Lighting

11 Allison August 29, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Too bad about the shoes but at least you didn’t buy a new pair that would ultimately get ruined and you may never be able to use again! Mmm, the pizza sure does look good! Have you ever tried the whole wheat pizza dough from TJ’s?! We made calzones last night and loved it!
Allison recently posted..Vanilla Apple Pie Cake with a Sweet Glaze

12 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Sadly, we don’t have a TJ’s near by, so no pizza dough for me.

13 Maren (Maren's Morsels) August 29, 2011 at 9:58 pm

My boyfriend will fall asleep anywhere and wearing anything after a long day of work. The pictures of his shoes made me laugh.
Maren (Maren’s Morsels) recently posted..Hoisin Chicken & Brown Rice Stir-fry

14 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 29, 2011 at 10:04 pm

That picture is too sweet! I’ve fallen asleep in my glasses before and The Boy has had to put them away for me, but I don’t know that either of us have fallen asleep in our shoes before πŸ™‚
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..Up Above

15 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Haha cute. πŸ™‚
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Yard House

16 Kaitlin August 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Ha! What a cutie.

I also just purged at least 5 extra old pairs of running shoes, but kept one as backup. Tomorrow, I should get a new pair in the mail, and I’ll definitely keep two as backup from now on!

Crazy that you didn’t get the blisters before when hiking, 5K walking and all!
Kaitlin recently posted..Getting My Life Back On Track

17 Sana August 29, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Bahaha, he has no idea you blogged him sleeping!
Sana recently posted..You should know that

18 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Not yet – he’s still sleeping!

19 Reenie August 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm

haha….Maddy is looking at you like…. what did you wake me up for??

20 Kelly August 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I dump my gym shoes every 6 months. I donate twice a year. Right now I have 2 pairs ready to donate. One was my shoes that I used to walk back and forth to work and the other are my old workout shoes.

21 Kathleen August 29, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Ouch! Been there done that. And there’s nothing worse than running when you have pain in your feet. If you haven’t already tried it, go to your local pharmacy and purchase compeed made by bandaid for blisters It’s like a protective skin on your feet and you will still be able to run. And the stuff stays in even in the shower.
Kathleen recently posted..They’re Baack!!

22 Chloe (In Fine Feather) August 29, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Oh no, I HATE when I get blisters – I’m rocking 3 from some cheapo target flats that I wore out dancing. I used to have about 3 pairs of running shoes & got rid of one so I’m down to two.
Hope you heal quickly!
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..A Bit Better

23 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 29, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Ha!! I would’ve smacked my Hubs for wearing shoes on the bed haha πŸ™‚ As it is, I don’t have to worry– HE won’t let ME wear even my socks on the bed, if they’ve been inside a pair of shoes that day… he’s kind of a germaphobe πŸ™‚

Everyone is having pizza tonight… I may just warm up that arugula pizza I bought from Trader Joe’s and join in the cyber pizza party πŸ™‚
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Internet Down!!

24 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner August 29, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I always think about donating my shoes, but alas, I have at least 6 pairs of old running shoes in my closet. I actually keep some just in case I do a mud run, which I haven’t since 2006! Ha!

Derek cracks me up! I think I could easily do that every night!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..saturday date night

25 Kristen August 29, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I keep old running shoes in the garage for yard work, etc. If you don’t have a garage, maybe a clear storage bin?

Is that a water bed I see in the picture??? It looks like the one my college boyfriend had!!

26 Meghann August 30, 2011 at 6:12 am

No it’s just a water bed frame. I hate it!

27 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I don’t have any old running shoes in my closet. After I completed my series of half and full marathons, I donated ALL of my extra shoes to my moms collection to walk around the neighborhood in πŸ™‚
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Good vs. Realistic

28 Cait's Plate August 29, 2011 at 10:39 pm

There’s so much good pizza going around the blog world tonight – it’s making me SO hungry!! Haha
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Chicken Tacos

29 CheezyK August 30, 2011 at 1:32 am

Isn’t there ever! I was thinking it was just me coz I’ve got pizza on the brain, glad to see someone else has noticed it.
CheezyK recently posted..The Sparky and Samson

30 RunningOnCoffee August 29, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I have 2 previous pairs that I still wear occasionally (one for boot camp/spin/biking and one for muddy hiking), plus I am currently switching between my newest pair (100 miles) and 2nd newest pair (almost 400 miles). I have about 5 even older pairs that are waiting in a bag to be donated.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..House-Sitting…and a Hurricane

31 delia August 29, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I figured the reason why you didn’t wear old sneakers to the Savage Race was because you had tossed them before moving. I know I had several old pairs (including one pair that I wore for gross anatomy cadaver dissecting and surgery rotation) that I donated before my relocation this summer. Now I’m down to my current pair, but they’re nowhere near being new.

32 KLM August 29, 2011 at 11:11 pm

How many pair of old running shoes do I have? As many as I’ve ever bought! I have gotten rid of some old “gym shoes,” but all of my bona fide running shoes are still in my closet. I think it’s 4-5 pair by now, not including the new ones I actually wear. I always intend to donate at race expos but forget by the time the expo rolls around.
KLM recently posted..Fish Chowder

33 ashley @ cooking for john August 29, 2011 at 11:18 pm

hope i didn’t come off as rude with my comment about your shoes- they just looked like something i would wear teaching and never, ever, wear to exercise. πŸ˜‰ 10 pairs of running shoes- haha! i used to recycle mine after i was done with them, but they got rid of our tennis shoes recycling bin in my city. i’ll have to investigate that…
ashley @ cooking for john recently posted..weekend in photos

34 Cat August 30, 2011 at 12:15 am

Dude, totally understand your shoe dilemma. I recently moved and forced myself to get rid of all my old running shoes, much like you. And I would be at a loss at what to wear for an event like that too! I might do the same thing and end up with similar or worse results!

35 Heidi Nicole August 30, 2011 at 12:31 am

I have run 3 mud races (all last year) and I am yet to actually toss or donate the shoes I ran in. I ran in older shoes and simply hosed them off really good, tossed them in a plastic bag to get them home and then threw them in the wash with a load of towels. After air dryer they were good as new…actually prettier than my “good” running shoes! I highly recommend this method!

36 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife August 30, 2011 at 1:02 am

Oh boys . . . silly! I have an entire wardrobe dedicated to painting and/or site visits. I spent three months on a construction site in Idaho and didn’t want to ruin my clothes. Now I feel silly for keeping them. But the minute I throw them out, I know that I’ll need them!
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Wedding Recap: Getting Ready

37 Dynamics August 30, 2011 at 2:20 am

My PT told me to wash my shoes in the washing machine and sun dry. Believe it or not, they came out beautifully with no damage.

38 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots August 30, 2011 at 6:21 am

After I did the Warrior Dash, I had bruises, scratches and scrapes for weeks that I couldn’t identify. And now, 3 months later, I actually have scars on my elbows from sliding down one of those rope climb/plywood/incline things. I don’t think they’ll ever go away! Warrior wounds. πŸ™‚
Cassie @ Back to Her Roots recently posted..goals for the week

39 Ali @ Ali Runs August 30, 2011 at 7:30 am

I have so many pairs of old running shoes, it’s crazy!! I still keep thinking “well maybe someday I’ll need them for something” and this post totally validates my reasons for keeping a few. But I should probably get on donating a pair or two.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Vulnerable

40 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 30, 2011 at 8:21 am

Well the pizza sure LOOKED good! Nice battle wounds from the Savage Race πŸ™‚
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..WildSide BBQ Bar and Grill

41 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run August 30, 2011 at 8:33 am

For Warrior Dash, my hubs wore some older sneakers. He brought them home and threw them in the washer. They came out BETTER than new. He still wears them all the time. So…just know that a mud run is not a death wish for your shoes! They take them as donations at those races for a reason!

42 Corey @ Learning Patience August 30, 2011 at 8:40 am

Hmm…the pizza looked great! πŸ™‚ I too was all scratched up after My Warrior Dash….so much fun though!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Move Over Crispy Kale!

43 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 30, 2011 at 9:18 am

I can totally understand that logic! Boo to the hurting feet though πŸ™
Derek is so cute, and kinda reminds me of my husband! It was nice meeting him (and your brother!) and the HLS this year!

44 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 30, 2011 at 9:33 am

I always keep at least two old pairs of running shoes just because you never know when you will need shoes that you don’t care about ruining. Like when we painted our entire house last year, I wore old shoes that I did not care if they got ruined with paint!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

45 Ashley August 30, 2011 at 11:28 am

I only keep 2 pairs of running shoes. Every time I get a new pair, I donate the oldest pair. It’s a pretty good system. πŸ™‚
Ashley recently posted..5 Ways to Indulge Mindfully

46 Allie August 30, 2011 at 11:34 am

I only have two old pairs of runners at home…and I don’t even like keeping them but now I am thinking I really should!
Allie recently posted..Baking With My Bestest

47 gia August 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Funny post! I have def. 5 old pairs of running shoes! They are there for me if I go on a muddy hike, or if my current shoes feel weird, or if I want to stash them in my car for impromptu walks. I totally agree. I think Derek sleeps as much as me! Not many people do. πŸ™‚

48 Sophie August 30, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Awww, Derek is so cute! I only have one pair of ‘old’ shoes stashed away – but I too a a serial hoarder so don’t encourage me! I quite like the idea of running barefoot but have always been a bit nervous to try…any advice?
Sophie recently posted..Back To School!

49 Ben@ShirtlessBen August 30, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Nobody is safe from the camera…. Muwahhahahah derek looks like he needs a shot after work every night.
Ben@ShirtlessBen recently posted..I Want To Be A Billionaire

50 Erica @ AMPlified Culture August 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Hmm the pizza looks tasty. I still might try it. Also as for the shoes in bed. I HATE that. My husband does that too! I don’t get it. Who wants to lay in bed with shoes on. . . so weird!

51 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes August 30, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I have so many pairs of extra running shoes and I always debate whether or not I should toss them. I’m holding on to at least two extra pairs now….just in case I ever do a mud run πŸ™‚
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Moo Bella

52 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 31, 2011 at 10:22 am

Love how Maddie’s in bed too. A cozy little couple they make.

I don’t have any “old sneaks” but the “cheap sneakers” that I bought for kickball quickly turned into my “I’ll wear these all the time, always” shoes because I became too lazy to put in and remove the custom-made inserts I have for foot pronation. In fact, now I feel inspired, because my other shoes are WAY cuter and brighter. And the “cheap shoes” could use a break (or some Sneaker Balls.)
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..How to Eat Free All Birthday Week Long