Picadillo

by Meghann on August 28, 2011

Last night Derek and I were invited over to his parents’ house for homemade picadillo ( a traditional Cuban dish consisting of ground beef, capers, raisins, tomato sauce, and olives). Derek has a slight obsession with good Cuban food (I think that’s a byproduct of growing up in Tampa) and never turns down the chance for a good Cuban meal, especially one by his mom (who isn’t Cuban, but knows how to cook like one πŸ™‚ ).

IMG_2030.JPG

I had never had picadillo before, but was impressed with the mix of great flavors (you know my love for raisins!). I loaded my plate up with a serving of picadillo, cuban bread, plantains, avocado, and salad.

IMG_2031.JPG

And promptly cleaned my plate. Nothing better than a home cooked meal that you didn’t prepare yourself. πŸ™‚

Derek’s parents are heading to Italy next month (super jealous!) and had purchased some gelato in honor of their up coming trip. I had a scoop of the dark chocolate and pistachio, but I know it’s no where near as good as what they’re going to have in Italy.

IMG_2034.JPG

We called it an early night and headed home just about the time Derek’s eyes started growing heavy on the couch.

This morning I awoke to rain, rolled over, and slept 30 more minutes hoping it would blow over. It did. Sort of.

I laced up my running shoes hoping to get my long run in for the week, but just putting the shoes on brought instant pain from the lovely blisters that formed during yesterday’s Savage Race. Darn you, cheap shoes!

I pushed through it and did what I could before the rain started coming down again. When it got to the point that I couldn’t see 5 feet in front of me, I knew it was time to turn around and head home. I think managing 5 out of 10 miles with blistered feet and heavy rain isn’t bad. I’ll take it!

Back home I made french toast for breakfast.

IMG_2035.JPG

Topped with heated cinnamon peaches and Love Grown Granola (HLS swag bag).

IMG_2037.JPG

The perfect Sunday morning meal. πŸ™‚

I had a few questions about the photos I took during yesterday’s Savage Race.

DSCF6952.JPG

The camera was my Fuji FinePix WP (featured in this post). It doesn’t take the best quality of photos, but the fact that it’s waterproof makes it a winner for races, water parks, and snorkeling in the keys.

Can’t wait to use it on my cruise in October. πŸ˜‰

The camera stayed in my hand the entire race. I wore my SpiBelt, just in case, but never ended up needing it.

I did take a lot of yesterday’s photos on my own (I’m the queen of self portraits), but I also relied on the kindness of volunteers along the way. Never be afraid to ask someone on the side to take your photo during a race, a lot of the time they’re more than happy to snap away. It’s also a great conversation starter for fellow runners!

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 10:53 am

One of my favorite parts about the recap was the pictures you took! I felt like I was getting down and dirty running the race right there with you πŸ˜€
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..The Thought Process

2 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs August 28, 2011 at 10:58 am

That’s insane! You had blisters and it was raining… I don’t even need ONE of those excuses not to do a long run. And I love picadillo. So much. So, so much.
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..Juice Feast

3 Chloe (In Fine Feather) August 28, 2011 at 11:04 am

Family dinners are the best, I love when I get a home cooked meal! Great job rocking that run – you are super awesome πŸ™‚
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..Saturday Night Blues

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 28, 2011 at 11:10 am

I can’t believe you powered through 5 miles with blisters that bad on your feet!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Zucchini & feta olive oil muffins

5 Ali @ Ali Runs August 28, 2011 at 11:21 am

I’ve never heard of a Picadillo, but it sounds delicious! I would love to try more ethnic food. Good job on your run today– I am not at all a fan of running in a LOT of rain, but I do love running when it’s just sprinkling out.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon Training: 10 Miles (Take 2)

6 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) August 28, 2011 at 11:31 am

Mmmm, that looks yummy! I’ve never had true Cuban food before. In terms of Latin American food, I’ve only had Puerto Rican food when I was little, and I remember loving it.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Dinner in a hurricane

7 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 28, 2011 at 11:52 am

You’re a trooper for running through rain AND blisters. That would spell rest day (or at least swim day!) for me!

my Hubs has an ex-gf whose parents were Cuban and would cook for them– he still has a love for good Cuban food, that I now share πŸ™‚
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Sweet Saturday Then

8 Allison August 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I’ve never had Cuban food but after seeing your pictures and reading the descriptions I gotta find some! Tasty breakfasts always make for good days πŸ˜€

P.S. Thanks for sharing about the waterproof camera, I honestly didn’t know how your camera survived all the water and mud! I’m asking for a new camera for my birthday [at the end of September] any suggestions?!

9 Ashley @ The Fit Academic August 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I’m glad you addressed some q’s – I never asked any on yesterday’s post, but I was totally wondering how you had so many pics along the course, the camera used, etc. Thanks for the tips!

10 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 28, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Wow that Cuban meal looks great! So does your french toast this morning…YUM!!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Last Night + First Day

11 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Running with blisters is no fun! I bled all over my new shoes last week because I had a nasty blister πŸ™
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Tortuous Twelve

12 Sophie August 28, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Mmmmm, I’ve never tried Cuban food (I don’t think?!) but it looks great πŸ™‚
Sophie recently posted..Living The Not So Balanced Weigh.

13 Irina G August 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Picadillo is actually SUPER easy to make! I’m half Cuban and my mom taught me how to make it recently. It came out REALLY well, check it out if you want to give it your own try: http://fitflexitarian.com/recipe-cuban-ground-beef/
Irina G recently posted..Please Donate Your Post Hurricane Irene Canned Goods!

14 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I have always thought that waterproof cameras were really not all that useful but you have proved that wrong πŸ™‚

Loved the picts from the race.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Tofu + Bacon??

15 Hilary August 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I am just loving the fun uses for all of the HLS swag….chocolate granola = best Saturday night snack! And the picadillo looks delicious…I’ve made it once, but the recipe was from a Weight Watchers cookbook, so probably not the most authentic. πŸ˜› And gelato? I’ll take it any time! I’m sad I missed out on the stuff in Philly that I saw in some of the recaps. πŸ™
Hilary recently posted..Farmers’ Market Fun

16 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 28, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I haven’t had Picadillo since college! {roommate = Cuban} So, so good. Especially when it’s authentic! Between this post and Carolina’s Yuca – I think I need some Cuban food this week. Yum.

I’m always surprised at how many people are willing to take pictures during a race! This one dude ran backwards to take of picture of Paula and me. Crazy and so generous. You’re pictures were SO fun, btw.
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..When 20 Becomes 19, Maybe

17 Cait's Plate August 28, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Oooh underwater cameras are THE best. I went on a cruise and to the Caribbean in high school and the underwater camera pictures are my absolute favorite πŸ™‚

18 Army Amy* August 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I never would have thought to ask a volunteer to take my pic during a race. Smart!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Chewy’s Chewed Up

19 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 28, 2011 at 6:32 pm

That dinner looks awesome! I dont know if you have ever been to Colombias…i think there are a few of them down near you, but we used to go to the one in Clearwater Beach every time we visited. Their food was amazing and that is exactly what your photograph reminded me of πŸ™‚
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..An Amazing Survey From An Amazing Asset!

20 Marissa Elliot August 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I can’t believe you did any miles with blistered feet! That’s hardcore! πŸ™‚

21 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Sounds like an awesome dinner. Pistachio gelato sounds amazing!

22 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery August 29, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I love picadillo! I’m not from Florida area that would get it as a byproduct, but a friend of the family grew up in Cuba and this dish was my first taste of the culture. So delicious and I make it all the time myself now. I like trying variations since there are so many different kinds (check out the wikipedia article for lots of examples of different culture variations). Yum, yum.
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..More smiley faces – Surprise!