more ยป" />

Happy Hour

by Meghann on August 27, 2011

This sign makes me happy for many reasons…

IMG_1989.jpg

1. FRIDAY!!!
  2. Happy Hour!!
  3. PUMPKIN BEERS ARE HERE!!!!

Pumpkin beer?!?! I heard a rumor pumpkin beers were starting to make their way known across the U.S., but this was my first run in with one of the season.

I had to order one. A UFO Pumpkin Beer to be exact.

IMG_1986.JPG

When I ordered the pumpkin beer, the bartender asked if I wanted it in a cinnamon sugar rimmed glass. A cinnamon sugar rimmed glass?! Heck year! Why have I never heard of this before?

IMG_1987.JPG

Upon first sip, I was instantly in love. The cinnamon sugar mix really enhanced the sweetness of the pumpkin. It tasted just like dessert.

IMG_1988.JPG

I want to go back and order it again. ๐Ÿ™‚ Three cheers for pumpkin beer coming back into season!!!

I was out at happy hour with my friend friend Kristin and her entourage of beautiful 20-something ladies who promptly reminded me I’m not too old to go out on a Friday night and I deserve a shot every time the thought enters my mind (a fun game, by the way).

We dodged the line of the local college bar.

IMG_1990.JPG

(AYCD for $10 isn’t worth it anymore when you have to wait 30 minutes to get in and are packed like sardines once you are in there.)

And instead opted for the less crowded Yard of Ale across the street.

IMG_1991.JPG

No crowds and pumpkin beer in a cinnamon sugar rimmed glass? I think we got the better end of the deal. ๐Ÿ˜‰

After our beers we headed to Cheap for dinner.

IMG_1994.JPG

Cheap has an odd menu – it’s almost like 4 restaurants in one. They have a sushi section, Mexican section, bar food, and pizza. I believe Kristin had it right when she said the food is all good, but nothing is really great.

We started with a basket of bread and strawberry butter.

IMG_1992.JPG

Kristin and decided to split a few rolls of sushi for our meal.

IMG_1999.JPG

Spicy Tuna

IMG_1995.JPG

Volcano

IMG_1998.JPG

Shrimp Tempura

IMG_1997.JPG

All ok, but none of it mind blowing.

We moved to the bar scene and I had a glass of wine while we traded drunken stories of our past. Good times.

IMG_2000.jpg

I made it home just before 11:00 (the time I used to be just heading out back in the day) and fell asleep almost as soon as I walked in the door (Derek was already passed out on the couch).

This morning I was up at 7:00 and made a power breakfast of peanut butter and apples.

IMG_2002.JPG

Cinnamon apples, peanut butter, and granola grilled in a pita. Amazing.

IMG_2007.JPG

Extra apples.

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

I’m heading to Clermont this morning for SAVAGE RACE!!!

Time to get dirty!!!

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 27, 2011 at 8:38 am

Pumpkin spice lattes came back, and now pumpkin beers? ๐Ÿ˜€
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Not-so Ghetto Salmon

2 Hillary August 27, 2011 at 8:41 am

Haha I finally had a “real night out” with some girlfriends last weekend, for the first time in a LONG time. Feels good, huh?
Hillary recently posted..Cโ€™mon Irene

3 Laura August 27, 2011 at 8:49 am

I love finding another pumpkin beer lover! I just bought a pack of Shipyard Pumpkin head last weekend as soon as I saw it! ‘Tis the season!
Laura recently posted..Eat Local Week 2011: Connecting the Central Florida Community

4 michelle August 27, 2011 at 8:51 am

I went out a few weeks ago with some 21 year olds and I felt SO OLD when I was yawning at 10pm.
Have fun at the race!
michelle recently posted..Destination Marathons

5 Sweet and Savvy August 27, 2011 at 8:52 am

That breakfast looks great ! Have fun at the race!!

6 wymberley August 27, 2011 at 9:07 am

I can’t wait for the race review! Have fun.
wymberley recently posted..Grilled Zucchini and Cilantro Hummus Lunch and My Weight Loss

7 Clare @ Fitting It All In August 27, 2011 at 9:18 am

I REALLY hope Dallas gets Pumpkin beers soon. Even though it’s still 100 degrees here. I will miss Schlafly Pumpkin Ale more than anything now that I’m not in St. Louis!!

8 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life August 27, 2011 at 9:23 am

I had a UFO Pumpkin last night too! So yummy!!
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..The Threeโ€ฆ

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 27, 2011 at 9:31 am

I have never had a pumpkin beer! I need to find one this season. Have fun at the race, can’t wait to see pics of it.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..I gave in

10 Courtney August 27, 2011 at 9:46 am

What a fun night! And good luck in your race! ๐Ÿ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Pop-Tartยฎ Greeting Cards

11 Caitlin August 27, 2011 at 10:02 am

I totally want to try pumpkin beer. I am not the biggest fan of been, but love pupkin anything! I wonder if I would like it??

12 Amy @ SGTC August 27, 2011 at 10:07 am

I can’t wait to have a Pumpkin Beer!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Amy @ SGTC recently posted..HLS {three}

13 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 27, 2011 at 10:13 am

I’m not a big beer drinker, but that pumpkin beer looks pretty awesome!

Also, strawberry butter?! I need to try that!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Farmers Market Finds

14 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

I’m going on a hunt tomorrow to find pumpkin beer! It’s tradition that I do so the last week of August ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Cait's Plate August 27, 2011 at 10:32 am

Oh my gosh that bread + strawberry butter looks absolutely amazing. There’s a place in Atlanta where my sister lives called “The Flying Biscuit” and it serves fresh whole wheat biscuits with apple cinnamon butter. It’s beyond.

16 Kristin @ FoodFash August 27, 2011 at 10:37 am

Lol love the entourage comment! Glad you could join us and good luck today!!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Sneaky Veggies

17 Army Amy* August 27, 2011 at 10:59 am

Ooh! Have fun at your mud run!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Turn Around

18 Amanda August 27, 2011 at 11:11 am

I added your blog to my google reader a few days ago and am so glad I did! It is really great! ๐Ÿ™‚ Strawberry butter sounds really good! I have never heard of that before but I bet it is pretty amazing! I hope you have a great weekend and a great race!!
Amanda recently posted..The Winding Road

19 Ali @ Ali Runs August 27, 2011 at 11:38 am

I cannot wait for my first pumpkin beer! I fell in love with them last fall and have been so excited to hear the return of it recently. Glad you had a fun night out ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..I <3 Lob-stah!

20 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 27, 2011 at 11:44 am

I need to get my hands on some pumpkin beer asap!

21 Nikki August 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I had my first pumpkin beer of my life last fall… till I scoured blog world I had never heard of it! I am sure the cinnamon rimmed glass made it even better!
Have a great race! I can’t wait to see the dirty photos ;)lol
Nikki recently posted..Let them eat Cake!

22 Krystina (Organically Me) August 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Have fun in Clermont!

23 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 27, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Haha why is it that the men just end up falling asleep on the couch anytime their ladies go out without them? I can almost always guarantee to find my Hubs there when I get home after a night out ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck on your race today!!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Picture Post

24 Alaina August 27, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Love pumpkin beers! Usually I’ll take enough sips with some cinnamon sugar and when the cinnamon sugar is gone, I’ll order another beer. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Alaina recently posted..Checking In with a Winner!

25 Meghan August 27, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Ooooh if you love the sugared rim you should try a brown sugar rim with pumpkin beer! So gooooood.
Good luck in the race! I really want to do a savage race…the registration price kind of shocked me when I looked into one in the area though!
Meghan recently posted..Making It My Own

26 Cara August 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I was just able to buy my first pack of pumpkin beer this year. I was soo excited. Tastes just as good as I remembered it!

27 Hilary August 27, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I am not a beer girl, but that pumpkin beer with cinnamon sugar rim almost looks appealing enough to make me give it a try!
Hilary recently posted..Farmersโ€™ Market Fun

28 Megan August 27, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I cannot wait for this race recap….I live in Clermont and I’m sure the current weather has added to the dirty factor ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you had a blast!

29 Morgan @ Endorphaholic August 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Cinnamon rims?! I’m going to have to remember that when I’m planning my Christmas party.
Morgan @ Endorphaholic recently posted..Desert Storm

30 Corey @ Learning Patience August 27, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Savage race? Is that like the Warrior Dash? Hmmm….have to look into it! Pumpkin beer? not sure Im down with that…. Glad you enjoyed it though!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Last Friday Night….We Had a Curfew…What?

31 Allison August 27, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Pita pockets always taste good ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve always stuffed them with some type of protein [eggs, turkey, etc.] for a savory sandwich but never PB and apples- yum!
Allison recently posted..Goat-tastic Tuna and Italian Toasted Tortilla Chips

32 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 28, 2011 at 10:21 am

ooooh have so SO much fun at the race!! I am al about pitas and apples. DElish!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..The Exercise Myth

33 Athena August 29, 2011 at 7:31 am

Oh my! I love that food.. I really look forward to taste all of that dish..
Athena recently posted..Dominos pizza menu

34 Katie August 31, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Oooh the cinnamon sugar rim is such a genius idea. *wheels are turning….*

The $10 all you can drink at MacDintons used to be such a fun time…when I was 22-23! I used to live in the building right next door. The trick was to get there before the happy hour actually started….then all you’d have to do is walk up to one of the bouncers, pay the $10, and keep having a good time without a line!

However, nowadays I get tired by 10pm or so…I don’t think I could hang with the youngins anymore!
Katie recently posted..Sometimes the little things count