40 Miles or Bust

by Meghann on August 26, 2011

Nothing like a 40 mile bike ride to kick the day off with a bang!

IMG_1974.JPG

Woo hoo! πŸ™‚

A couple of things to note about this ride:

• I wore my new tri-suit and felt completely comfortable the whole time
  • Long bike rides are boring. I was super jealous of the guy who biked by with a speaker attached to his seat.
  • I believe I saw my first live armadillo walking alongside the trail (though I’m sure it was on it’s way to looking like all the others I’ve seen in my lifetime)
  • Checking emails during a pitstop is one way to turn a 2 minute break into a 10 minute one. Opps.
  • 16 more miles?! Pshh…. I’ve got this. πŸ˜‰

IMG_1975.JPG

Honestly, I wasn’t feeling the ride at first. I got to mile 5 and couldn’t believe I still had 15 more until the turn around point. I tried to zone out, focus on the road and try to wrap my head around a few projects I have coming up. Eventually my body caved in and just took to riding the bike, like it would to driving car. It felt natural.

At the turn around I had a Quaker Chewy bar while checking e-mails and watching pretty horses in the distance. The trail goes on for miles and miles through country roads and farmlands. It’s a very serene ride, especially when you get close to the pretty horses.

I left in the dimness of sunrise and returned to clear blue skies. It was shaping up to be a beautiful day. πŸ™‚

I fueled up before the ride with a Key Lime Mix1 from my HLS swag bag.

IMG_1973.jpg

The flavor was discontinued, which is a shame because I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed the tart key lime flavor blended in the thick protein shake form. Key limes never get the love they deserve outside of south Florida. πŸ™‚

Breakfast was a quick and easy HLS inspired bowl of cereal.

IMG_1979.JPG

Let’s see how many HLS freebies I can cram in one bowl?!

• Erewhon Brown Rice Crispies w/ Mixed Berries <– coupon from Attune
  • Quaker Life Cereal <– not a freebie, but Quaker rocked as a lead sponsor
  • Warrior Crunch Granola <– freebie from Nuts About Granola
  • Stonyfield Plain Yogurt <– coupon from Stonyfield
  • Blueberries <– Not a freebie, but don’t they look good?!
  • Barney Butter <– sample packet

IMG_1981.JPG

Thanks to Healthy Living Summit, I think I’m good on cereal and granola bars for a while. πŸ˜‰

Alright, time to get to work.

See ya!

p.s. we weren’t the biggest fans of Limitless last night. Too many plot holes to hold our attention.

1 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 26, 2011 at 11:31 am

Sounds like a peaceful, lovely ride. πŸ™‚ And a long one! You might be inspiring me to try biking again—I definitely need some practice before I attempt 40 miles!

2 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 26, 2011 at 11:38 am

WOW, way to go!! That rocks.

Yeah, like I mentioned, we weren’t that big a’ fans of Limitless either—oh well!

Good luck on work today!

3 Megan @ Life As Megan Knows it August 26, 2011 at 11:47 am

Way to kick some bootayy on that run!!

Good Luck on your work today!

4 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 26, 2011 at 11:49 am

Pretty horses always make runs/walks/bikes sooo much better!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Easy Cheesy Veggie Lasagna & A Coupon GIVEAWAY!

5 Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com August 26, 2011 at 11:50 am

I’m testing out my new tri-suit this weekend! I really can’t wait to give it a shot. I think it’s great that you can get such long training rides in during the week – I’m totally jealous!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com recently posted..In The Vicinity…

6 michelle August 26, 2011 at 11:55 am

I actually liked Limitless quite a bit.

40 mile bike ride. Wow! That’s a long way. Then to think you have to add on about 15 more miles and then run a half marathon afterwards!
michelle recently posted..Destination Marathons

7 Carolyn August 26, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Sounds like a awesome trail. I love getting into that zone and just cruising. I am planning a 40 mile ride fortimorrow morning, hoping I can get my ride buddy to agree to come with.

8 Pamela @ girlgonewestblog.com August 26, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Oh but Bradley Cooper makes it all worthwhile. πŸ™‚

9 Hillary August 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm

It boggles my mind that you biked longer than my commute to work this morning. Go girl!
Hillary recently posted..Night By Numbers

10 Cait's Plate August 26, 2011 at 12:18 pm

There’s really no better way to kick off the weekend! Congrats πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Hard Boiled

11 Lisa August 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm

The key to long bike rides for me: audiobooks. (Also, consequently the key to long car rides.)
Lisa recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #47: Sunny Seed Butter Cookies

12 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Good lord girl, 40 miles by yourself with no entertainment? I probably would have pitched myself into a bush or something just to keep things interesting πŸ˜‰

A speaker attached to the bike sounds pretty awesome– is that against tri rules though?
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Hot Potato

13 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 26, 2011 at 12:44 pm

holy shmoly 40 miles! good for you πŸ™‚

14 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Oo! I have some Erewhon brown rice crispies on their way to my apartment! You’re getting me excitedddd
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Chocolate Baggage

15 Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese August 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Way to rock the 40 miles without entertainment! Sometimes its nice to just zone out though and enjoy the surroundings. You totally got the next 16 down! You are going to rock the race!
Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese recently posted..Restless.

16 Alexa @ Simple Eats August 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Awesome job on the forty miles! Woohoo!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Chris’ Corner Numero Dos

17 wendy August 26, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I was in tampa last month and I saw an armadillo when i left my friends house. It scared the living bajeebs out if me. We don’t have those in Michigan.

18 Meghann August 26, 2011 at 1:14 pm

You don’t?! I thought they were everywhere!

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I love key limes. The problem is, outside of Florida they just use regular limes instead and it’s not the same!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Friday things

20 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Wow, that seems like such a huge distance – 40 miles???

Big congrats on the accomplishment!!
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Morning appetite

21 Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles August 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Way to rock it. I’d be jealous of the guy with a speaker on his seat too. I’ll have to get one of those…
Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles recently posted..Chiropractor and a Massage

22 Mary August 26, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Limitless was definitely a weird ass movie. I wasnt a big fan.

anyway, you won’t be bored on race day! You’ll have all sorts of adrenaline rushing through your bod to get you through all 56 miles! Glad your tri suit worked well! have you tried it on a long run yet?
Mary recently posted..Bringing Yoga Back

23 Meghann August 26, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I ran with it on a 6 mile run and felt great. I’ll probably put it to the test again on Sunday

24 Army Amy* August 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Not many live armadillo sightings in my neck of the woods, either. Seeing one is supposed to be good luck!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Tear drops in my classroom

25 Ali @ Ali Runs August 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Awesome job getting your workout in even though you weren’t feeling it!! You’re so close to the HIM – keep it up!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..I <3 Lob-stah!

26 Carissa August 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I was “this close” to asking you where you found the Key Lime Mix1 that sounds so awesome….nevermind….back to Acai Pomegrante for me!

Congrats on the 40 miles!
Carissa recently posted..Refreshed and relaxed

27 Nikki August 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I have a 40 mile ride scheduled for the morning…as long as the rain stays away!!
Nikki recently posted..Imma be rockin’ it

28 Chuck August 27, 2011 at 1:29 am

Way to go on the ride! Where do you usually ride?
Chuck recently posted..Coconut Meat Sauce