Afternoon Cycler

by Meghann on August 24, 2011

I’m not a fan of running in the evening.

Talking myself in the pool after noon is impossible.

But, cycling? Afternoon cycling is something I can get used to.

IMG_1965.JPG

This evening I met a new friend, Allison, for a ride around a local trail. We kept it casual at a leisurely pace and spent the entire ride discussing life, love, and jobs.

Allison is currently training for a 60 mile bike ride with her mom (60 miles for 60 years!) and has slowly been increasing her mileage. She’s a clip-in newbie, but did great! Only fell once! πŸ˜‰

IMG_1962.JPG

We did two laps, which came to a total of 17.7 mies. Not bad for a Wednesday afternoon ride.

IMG_1961.JPG

Before our ride I had a homemade granola bar Diana at gave me at HLS. I loved the extra almond flavor in the bar.

IMG_1955.JPG

Derek had plans tonight and that mixed with the fact I didn’t get home until after 8:00, meant a ‘Meghann Meal’ was on the menu for tonight.

IMG_1968.JPG

My ‘Meghann meal’ consisted of sweet potato, navy beans, marinara sauce, spinach, and goat cheese. I threw it all together in a bowl and warmed in the microwave until done.

IMG_1970.JPG

Delicious.

Allison had presented me with homemade peach cupcakes at the end of the ride. Put ‘homemade’ and ‘cupcake’ in the same sentence and I’m totally there.

IMG_1972.JPG

The cupcake was incredible! I loved the bites of fresh peach throughout. The other cupcake is suppose to be for Derek, but I may just save it for myself. πŸ˜‰

Derek just got home, time to get off the computer.

Good Night!

1 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm

pretty much anything with goat cheese and marinara will be a winner.

I would like to meet Allison, and her cupcakes. Be right there, Florida!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Froyo Solo

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns August 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Nice ride! Morning workouts are my favorite, but sometimes you gotta do what’cha gotta do! πŸ˜‰

3 Cait's Plate August 24, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I think you need to eat that cupcake for sure πŸ™‚ You deserve it after you awesome ride this afternoon!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Mike.

4 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 24, 2011 at 10:22 pm

PEACH cupcake? I’ve never heard of such a delicacy!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..The Other Man

5 Sweet and Savvy August 24, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Homemade cupcakes are most definitely the best!! πŸ™‚

6 Allison August 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Nice ride!! I have been doing about 8-10 miles on Tuesdays and I am def. wanting to increase. I need to find some riding buddies!

7 Fit Chick Britt August 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I’m totally an afternoon/night workout person. Mmmm… send that 2nd cupcake my way!
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Rain and Rest

8 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm

that cupcake looks so summery and amazing!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Lunch Date + More Shopping

9 Hilary August 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I totally hear you about running…nearly impossible after lunch if you ask me!
Hilary recently posted..A new day has dawned at HLS

10 Sara August 24, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I love evening bike rides. That granola bar looks really moist and delicious!
Sara recently posted..Party On

11 Army Amy* August 24, 2011 at 11:05 pm

The picture of the ground zooming by while you’re riding is totally giving me vertigo! I feel dizzy just looking at it!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Beauty Tip

12 Diana August 24, 2011 at 11:54 pm

So glad you liked the granola bar! πŸ™‚

Also, I loved those biking photos – great action shots.
Diana recently posted..Out and About In Philly

13 Sana August 25, 2011 at 12:16 am

I would totally snatch box that cupcake for myself πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..I Think Everyone Should Be Vegan

14 wymberley August 25, 2011 at 12:32 am

I gotta say, you meal for dinner had me doing a double take. I hope it was wonderful! Nice ride, I miss evening rides. I would go out till dark almost every evening in college.
wymberley recently posted..Road Trip For Border Thai Food

15 Chuck August 25, 2011 at 12:48 am

Speaking of an afternoon ride- I just Tweeted you and you should come ride Davis Island tomorrow evening!
Chuck recently posted..Coconut Meat Sauce

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 25, 2011 at 1:23 am

I agree, afternoons on the bike are great. It’s a great way to unwind from the day. You meet the best new friends…I need some that bring me cupcakes πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Hit the road Jack

17 Alex August 25, 2011 at 4:08 am

That granola bar looks a little beat but super delicious! Did Diana give you the recipe?
Alex recently posted..A dream come true – Myeongbeom Kim

18 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 25, 2011 at 6:38 am

Peach cupcakes sound so great! That might just motivate me to get on a bike…
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Paco’s

19 Kathleen August 25, 2011 at 6:42 am

I am not a fan of running in the evening either. I want it to be the first thing I do every day. Hey my blog is now live thanks to you and the HLS. Making progress slowly but surely. Check it out.

20 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 25, 2011 at 7:29 am

When my husband works I am on my own for dinner so I’ve tried a lot of single meal combos but never this one! It looks super good though so I may have to keep that in mind next week! Usually when I make sweet potato put a ton of chili powder and ketchup on top. Ha that kinda sounds weird typing it out!

21 Allison August 25, 2011 at 7:32 am

So glad you liked the cupcake! It was great meeting up and getting a good ride in. For anyone that wants the recipe, it’s from smittenkitchen.com.

22 Hillary August 25, 2011 at 7:40 am

Those bike pics made me dizzy! Haha.

And peach cupcakes? Oh, heavens. Yes, please.
Hillary recently posted..Social Media Musings

23 Corey @ Learning Patience August 25, 2011 at 8:12 am

Peach Cupcakes? Wow – those sound great! xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..WIAW – What a Crazy Day

24 Ali @ Ali Runs August 25, 2011 at 8:29 am

There is no way I could take pictures while biking, I’d definitely crash and burn. πŸ˜‰
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon Training: Terrific Twelve

25 Hope August 25, 2011 at 9:04 am

A peach cupcake sounds yummy! Great bike ride!
Hope recently posted..A Dinner Failure…

26 Katie G> August 25, 2011 at 9:52 am

Casual afternoon rides with friends are the best!! How did you take pictures while riding? I am not that steady, ha. Yum, I want that cupcake…!
Katie G> recently posted..Team In Training Experience

27 Meghann August 25, 2011 at 10:03 am

We weren’t going fast at all. I took them near the end of the ride and was very, very careful on the trail. πŸ™‚

28 Nikki August 25, 2011 at 10:13 am

Yesterday was seriously a perfect weather day for a ride! Got in 20 miles and felt great! Plus, I wasn’t drenched in sweat! YAY!
Nikki recently posted..Just Pedalin’ Along

29 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I’m the same…I really struggle with working out in the evenings…I have the most energy in the morning and am definitely an early bird. But I’d imagine that biking in the evening is so lovely…especially in such scenic surroundings, and with a great training partner who you can chat with the whole time…it sounds so fun! πŸ˜€ Have to say, I’m very impressed that you were able to bike and take photos at the same time… and they look awesome, too! xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..in print

30 Kari August 25, 2011 at 1:52 pm

interesting combination in your meghann meal. I can always count on your posts to combine something I’ve never thought of.

And the cupcake looks awesome.
Kari recently posted..WIAW: Back to School