A Day Off

by Meghann on August 22, 2011

I took a much needed day off today. I slept in, ignored responsibilities, watched trashy tv, and napped.

It was fabulous.

It was needed.

Lunch came before I had a chance to hit up the grocery store.

Good thing I had a Bird’s Eye Steamfresh Risotto (courtesy of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program) in the freezer.

Only 4 minutes in the microwave and topped it off with some cashews and raisins.

I <3 cashews.

Blog reading.

Napping.

Trashy TV.

Momentarily forgetting all responsibilities.

Snack eating.

Grocery shopping.

(Loved using the new Healthy Living Summit bags! πŸ™‚ )

I was able to sit-in on the later half of the ‘Building a Better Recipe’ session at Healthy Living Summit. You think the session would have inspired me to start getting serious with writing recipes (especially since she used mine as an example of a bad recipe – oops) , but it didn’t – it sort of had the opposite effect.

When I cook, I don’t cook based on recipes – I throw things together and hope it works out. The recipes I do provide on the blog are at request of readers and are more of my notes on what I did. Yes, I should probably step it up and give clear cut directions on what I did, but most of the time it’s just by a feeling and taste that I go by, so solid directions are hard to provide.

So, when you come to my blog I promise you’ll find great meal ideas and delicious food, but I can’t promise recipes to go with them because those recipes probably don’t exist. I’m still mulling all of these thoughts in my head and will probably come back to it later on, but these are the thoughts I’ve had up until now.

Let’s use tonight’s meal as an example of a ‘meal idea’ instead of a recipe.

My ‘idea’ was for roasted veggie tacos.

I chopped a sweet potato, radishes, and a red onion and roasted it all in the oven for 20 minutes at 415. Then, I added a can of black beans and roasted diced tomatoes and roasted it all for a few more minutes. The veggies went in two corn tortillas with some fresh mozzarella.

I probably could had done all of that in a pan on the stovetop instead of on a baking sheet in the onion, but I think the oven gives everything more of a carmelized, roasted flavor.

I broke into the ice cream for dessert.

+ Evan’s Peanut Puppy Chow! πŸ™‚

I’m going to continue my laziness in the morning, then it’s time to get back to work. I have some post conference surveys and e-mails I need to get out after all. πŸ˜‰

1 Kristina @ spabettie August 22, 2011 at 10:26 pm

a much deserved day off, indeed! πŸ™‚ I wasn’t there this weekend, but great job – I’ve been reading all about it!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..pizza flavored juice

2 Army Amy* August 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm

It’s good to hear that you are at least relaxing a little bit. You earned it!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Believe it or not…

3 Chloe (In Fine Feather) August 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm

You definitely deserve a day (or two!) off! I love using quick sides to make a meal when I’m stressed or don’t want to think too much about what to cook. Good choice!
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..Sunday Thoughts

4 Rasha @ PBAddiction August 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I didn’t go to HLS, though sure would’ve loved to, but from the various recaps I’ve read it seems like you did an awesome job organizing it! So I imagine this was a much needed rest day that was well deserved πŸ™‚

5 wymberley August 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I must introduce you to cilantro!! it would have been perfect in this.

Hope you check out the new blog. Im planning on landing on my feet from your inspiration and your fantastic blog!

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm

You go ahead & milk that day off, Meghann. You deserved it πŸ™‚
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Front-Door Photos

7 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Puppy chow makes me cry happy tears.

8 Gina @ running to the kitchen August 22, 2011 at 10:37 pm

After reading this afternoon’s post on all the hard work that went into HLS, I think you deserved a day off’
Gina @ running to the kitchen recently posted..Confessions

9 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 22, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I think the tacos look yummy! How were they?
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Big Bear Lake

10 Sarah for Real August 22, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I actually prefer your “meal idea” method of showing us what you put together. It’s so casual and refreshing for my type-A personality. Reminds me that cooking should be fun!
Sarah for Real recently posted..North Idaho Knows How to Party

11 Sarah August 23, 2011 at 9:58 am

I actually enjoy your meal ideas also as opposed to recipes… I rarely ever follow a recipe exactly when I cook anyway, just use it for inspiration!
Sarah recently posted..Five Star Restaurant

12 Nikki August 22, 2011 at 10:43 pm

You definitely deserved a great day of laziness after all of the awesomeness I’ve heard about from HLS!! And those tacos sound delishhh!!
Nikki recently posted..Viva la Vegan!

13 Sana August 22, 2011 at 10:44 pm

So try, I just post pics of me throwing food together. For legit recipes I go to a book, but they are boring without the pictures and the stories.
Sana recently posted..The People in My Life

14 Laura @ Backstage Balance August 22, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Glad to hear that you had a great, well-deserved lazy day off!
The tacos look great. And I like your style of ‘meal ideas’ versus specific recipes. It feels more natural and laid-back!
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..Smoooooooooothie

15 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 22, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I don’t think you have to have full-on recipes in order to give instructions on how to recreate a dish. Like you, I throw together things that sound good in an amount that is to my taste.

Why would I tell someone they should use ‘a half a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper’, or whatever, if they hate pepper or really really love it? Shouldn’t you just ‘suggest’ ingredients in the meal the same way (sweet potato, or sub russet potato, etc).

I never follow recipes myself but I am by all accounts a pretty darn good cook.

Also– “(especially since she used mine as an example of a bad recipe – oops)” hopefully this was with your permission??

16 Meghann August 22, 2011 at 11:08 pm

She hadn’t. She had made changes to the recipe to try and hide it from the original, but I could recognize my writing style. I even looked it up on my phone just to double check that it was mine and – yep – it was. I don’t consider myself a professional recipe writer, so it really wasn’t a big deal. I’m sure if I hadn’t said anything then no one would have noticed it was mine.

17 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 22, 2011 at 11:11 pm

WOW I seriously think that is so rude. Umm, not creative enough to come up with your own example? and didn’t she realize you would be there, considering you had organized the whole thing?? lol. girl has ballz.
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Helluvaday

18 Kiah August 22, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I totally hear you on the blogging-recipe thing! I think we have to go with what we enjoy to be successful in the long wrong πŸ™‚
Kiah recently posted..why do you exercise?

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 22, 2011 at 11:21 pm

You def deserved that day off!

Ice cream is the best way to end it πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Blackberries Galore

20 Ida August 22, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I dont think you need to change your meal posts. your blog does a great job of showing people that you dont need a recipe or specific ingredients to come up with a healthy and tasty meal. Your blog also shows people that it’s ok to experiment in the kitchen. I say do your own thing!!

21 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 23, 2011 at 12:08 am

I feel like it’s important to write complete recipes if you have a food/recipe blog. You have a healthy living/fitness/life/food blog – it’s not like your profession is to develop recipes, ya know?! I think your readers are people who like “meal ideas” and find inspiration from that! If that even makes sense. Basically, I’m just saying that you can do/write as you want – it’s your blog! πŸ™‚
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Raw Food + Meat

22 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 23, 2011 at 3:24 am

I think you style of expressing and illustrating your “recepies” is perfect for you – and perfect for me, incidentally! I love it as it is approachable and realistic, and makes me feel I can prepare what YOU do! So please don’t feel yoyu need to change it, although from your thoughts I think you feel the same way πŸ™‚ Yay for a well-deserved day off! Hope you had a wonderful one! <3 xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..weekend meals and moves

23 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 23, 2011 at 6:39 am

I am the same way! My recipes are more like mock recipes based on things I’ve thrown together. Sometimes I feel like to write them out like a normal recipe would make them seem more complicated or fancy than they are.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Food trucks galore

24 Lauren August 23, 2011 at 7:02 am

I used my HLS bags at the store too! The cashier even commented on how nice they were. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..First Day Back

25 Hillary August 23, 2011 at 7:02 am

I understand the pros of a “good” recipe (easy to follow and recreate), but I also get the whole “throwing some stuff together and hoping it tastes good” idea, too. When I’m doing that and I know I’ll probably want to put it on the blog later, I try to take notes (either literally or in my head) of what I’ve done and then go back and organize/add/edit things later. It’s a little bit easier!
Hillary recently posted..Positively Positive

26 Ali @ Ali Runs August 23, 2011 at 7:43 am

This sounds like the best day ever! It’s always good to reward yourself after months of hard work. πŸ™‚ Enjoy!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon Training: Terrific Twelve

27 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 23, 2011 at 8:07 am

You definitely deserved a day off after all of that hard work!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Honeymoon, Day 4

28 Hope August 23, 2011 at 8:33 am

You deserved a day off for all of that work that you did! Sometimes a day of just relaxing is the perfect thing. πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..I’m In Love With LOVE GROWN Granola!!….

29 Cait's Plate August 23, 2011 at 8:50 am

Gah – I need a day like this! It sounds wonderful. And I’m with you on the cashews – such a good nut!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..No Internet

30 Ryan August 23, 2011 at 9:10 am

My sister is like you…she just can open her pantry and throw some things together and it always seems like a planned recipe! Rest up! You have another summit to plan next year πŸ™‚

31 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 23, 2011 at 9:12 am

Throwing a killer weekend like that deserves some sort of medal. Glad you wore yours proudly in the form of a relaxing day. Wish I had the ability to take one, but I’m holding out big for Labor Day weekend!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Airports: The Great Equalizers

32 Corey @ Learning Patience August 23, 2011 at 9:32 am

Good for you – A day of rest is well deserved! Looks like you had a relaxing day! xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Smoothie Mornings and The Correct Push Up Form

33 Liz August 23, 2011 at 9:37 am

I think you earned AT LEAST one day off…if not a week!
Liz recently posted..Bad Fueling for a Bad Run

34 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 23, 2011 at 9:45 am

A well deserved day off!!!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Weekly Plan: August 22-28

35 Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com August 23, 2011 at 10:23 am

One of the things I like about your blog is the crazy meal ideas instead of serious recipes! Plus, I think it seems more “you” to throw things together & hope they work – adventurous & not afraid to try new things.
Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com recently posted..Bootcamp: A Real Eye-Opener

36 Kate August 23, 2011 at 11:28 am

I cook in a similar style to you, and I like your “meal ideas!” I get a lot of inspiration for interesting food combinations from your blog, and I don’t think you need to start posting more traditional recipes.

37 Hilary August 23, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Ihad the same thoughts afterthat presentation. I certainly commit a lot of the errors she talked about. I would say my food is a mix of ideas/inspiration and recipes so I haven’t decided yet how I’ll do things going forward.
Hilary recently posted..A new day has dawned at HLS

38 Becky @ Fit Chick on th Fly August 23, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I hear you on the recipe writting. Usually I find whatever I have in my cabinet/fridge and throw it all together and make a big mush of a mess. I have a hard enough time remembering to take the pictures!
Becky @ Fit Chick on th Fly recently posted..Things I Can’t Say NO to

39 Allison August 23, 2011 at 1:48 pm

You totes deserve a day, or a week, off! I have had a blast reading everyones recaps of HLS- I really hope to attend in the future! Great job πŸ˜€

P.S. Roasted veggie tacos look delic!
Allison recently posted..β€œSo much time, and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it.”

40 Allison August 23, 2011 at 2:26 pm

To be honest, I get really bored of the blogs that post nothing but super detailed recipes with in-depth descriptions and dozens of photos of the process. There are a couple that I used to follow and love because they were more “lifecasting,” but they’ve since become exclusively food blogs, and I found myself wondering why I still read them.

I’m always tearing recipes out of magazines and saving sites in my bookmarks, but 90% of the time when I cook, I’ll pull inspiration from 3-5 different recipes I’ve seen at one time or another and make it up as I go along.

41 Angela August 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I agree with Allison. I tend to drift off from regular reading when blogs become too foodie. I guess I’m just really nosy and like hearing about other people lives rather than daily recipes.

I love your meal ideas. Whenever I make anything slightly unusual it’s usually inspired by something you’ve done. You should have seen the looks I got when the apple went into my toasted cheese sandwich the other day!

42 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner August 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I love that you post your “meal inspirations/ideas”! I think you are very creative with your cooking, but no, I definitely don’t come to your blog for recipes! Ha! However, I do take you ideas and use them for my own inspirations, so I appreciate that. It helps me think that you are actually a REAL person like me! I have been going over some of the same things in my head regarding my blog, so it’s nice to hear an expert’s take on recipes.
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..deciding on a new workout schedule

43 Katie G> August 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

I’m not the best “recipe” person either, I just throw things together too, so the way you post meals totally relates to me and I like it! Keep up what you are doing, it’s great!
Katie G> recently posted..Team In Training Experience