Dinner By Derek

by Meghann on August 17, 2011

Poor Maddie. She was sooo excited for a car ride today, she didn’t see it coming.

You see, Maddie LOVES the car. When ever I open the car door, she jumps in and refuses to leave. To her, the car is a vehicle to the park, to the beach, or – and this is the most important – to see her cousins Oliver, Sadie, and Uncle Scooby. She loves her family.

However, Maddie is not a fan of grown men, little kids, and really all strangers. (Which makes taking her out in public kind of impossible sometimes. ) She’s a mama girl and proud of it.

When I brought her in the car today she thought we were going somewhere exciting. She jumped from chair to chair, wagging her little tail and barking her little head off.

“Grandma?! Grandpa?! Oh Boy! Oh Boy'”

Then we arrived at our final destination – the doggie hotel – and she wasn’t as excited anymore. She happily pranced in, took a quick look, and bolted for the door. I think she could sense I was about to leave her there and wasn’t thrilled about it. I had to scoop her up and hand her the teenage boy that was going to take her back to the doggie play area. I’m sure once she was surrounded by the other dogs, she was fine, but she DID NOT want me to leave her with that guy. No sirree.

I got a little choked up leaving her there, I can’t even imagine what it will be like when I have to leave my future kids at daycare one day.

Taking Maddie to the doggie hotel was my only outing for the day. I had to rush out the door to make it there before 5:00 and downed a protein smoothie (cherries + soymilk + chocolate protein powder) on the way.

Of course, in the 30 minutes it took me to get Maddie to the doggie hotel, some not cool stuff popped up at the hotel (this day just keeps getting better and better!). That’s when I decided a beer was necessary.

IMG_1239.jpg

And because our fridge looks like this:

Derek made dinner.

I <3 him. He makes an omelet better than anyone I know. πŸ™‚

See? Perfect!

That’s fresh tomato, green onion, and mozzarella in the middle.

English muffin with jam

Steamed green beans (the last green thing in the fridge!)

Not bad for a meal out of nothing. πŸ™‚

Ice cream for dessert.

My bag is packed (sort of)

In less than 12 hours I’ll be on my way to Philly! Yippee!!!

1 Army Amy* August 17, 2011 at 10:25 pm

My dog Geronimo is a mama’s boy, too. I always feel sad and guilty when I have to leave him, even if it’s just for a little. But just like you said, I’m sure Maddie’s going to do just fine at the doggie hotel.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Army Wives in review

2 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 17, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Haha, can’t wait to see you “on your Philly!!” Already acting like you own the city, atta girl!!

That’s the one thing that always blows my mind…. my beau doesn’t like to cook/can’t cook pretty much…. anything. But give that fellow the job of cooking an omelet, and he’s like Top Chef.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..No Rest for the Wicked (and sweaty and tired!)

3 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Nice! I love it when the man cooks–such a nice change. And I bet you LOVED that with all your craziness!

Good luck, and have fun πŸ™‚

4 Kiah August 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Aww, I love any post with doggie pics πŸ™‚ She’ll be okay! They’re always better at coping than we give ’em credit for. AND, good luck on the HLS drama! Wish I could be there!
Kiah recently posted..speedy McSpeedster workout

5 Jessica @ The Process of Healing August 17, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I can’t imagine leaving my pets with strangers.. they are like my children!
SO jealous of the HLS!!! I am KICKING myself for not going this year. I even had a ticket last year and something came up at the last minute and I had to sell it. I PROMISED myself I would go this year but here it is, and there i’ll not be πŸ™
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Checking In

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 17, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I hate that feeling when you have to leave them! I’m not sure I’ve ever felt worse actually than when leaving our dog at the kennel. Another reason I can’t have kids! haha
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..WIAW: Vacation style!

7 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 17, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Haha, nice packing job there πŸ˜‰
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Is The Grass Really Greener?

8 Krista August 17, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I think Derek needs to give us a step-by-step blog lesson on making the perfect omelette! I can never get them to look as good as his.

9 Ashley August 17, 2011 at 11:48 pm

You totally earned that beer!
Ashley recently posted..Effects of Living in a Healthy City

10 erica August 17, 2011 at 11:51 pm

aww! poor maddie! i have such a hard time leaving my fur-baby anywhere, even if it’s just to grandma & grandpas! i’m sure she’ll have tons of fun playing with other dogs!

your dinner looks great. i’m a TERRIBLE omelet maker. it always ends up as scrambled eggs, and i get the “i thought you said omelets???” “yaaah, didn’t quite turn out!” :/
erica recently posted..what’s goin’ on

11 michelle August 18, 2011 at 12:04 am

My dog has only ever stayed with my parents. I’m not sure I could leave him at a doggy daycare or anywhere else. It would get me all choked up too.
michelle recently posted..Twenty Days

12 Sana August 18, 2011 at 12:26 am

Maddie is on vacation while mommy and daddy are in Philly!!
Sana recently posted..Creatures of Habit

13 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 18, 2011 at 12:51 am

That is a BEAUTIFUL and FAT omelet!!! I love it! It looks like the one I posted todaaaaay πŸ™‚
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..The Best Omelet Ever.

14 Khushboo August 18, 2011 at 2:00 am

Your man can cook- that omelet looks perfectly fluffy!
Khushboo recently posted..Holy guacamole!

15 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East August 18, 2011 at 5:05 am

Derek sure can make a delicious omelet!

Have a great time in Philly!

16 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 18, 2011 at 6:41 am

Last time I had to drop the pup off at the puppy hotel I kind of had an emotional breakdown and started bawling in the parking lot. I’m pretty sure people thought I was nutzo…including my boyfriend.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Chi Pan Asian

17 Allie August 18, 2011 at 7:25 am

I don’t have a dog but I have a cat who HATES going in the car. I think she knows the only places we ever take her are the vet or the cattery!

18 Kara August 18, 2011 at 7:36 am

One time I was dropping my dog off at the kennel, she got so excited that she jumped out of the window and ran in by herself. It’s like I’m dead to her when we’re there. πŸ™‚ Her best week ever was when I gave birth and she spent 8 days at the kennel.

I kinda want to go to that kennel too. They have 3 playtimes a day, pool time, and cookouts for the holidays. When I drop her off for a holiday weekend, they’ll ask “Does she want a hamburger or a hot dog for her cook out meal?” Seriously? πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..3 facts (confessions?) Thursday

19 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 18, 2011 at 8:10 am

I had to take my dog to the kennel for the first time a few weeks ago for my wedding. I HATED it! I rescued him from a shelter & I was convinced that he thought I was taking him back. I don’t know if I could do it again, even though I know he was well taken care of!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Simple Summer Supper

20 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 18, 2011 at 8:25 am

beer with eggs! I love it πŸ™‚
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..As Big And Juice As They Come

21 Dina @ DinaRuns August 18, 2011 at 10:45 am

Hate when I have to leave the cats in boarding. They are always miserable for days after we pick them up. Feel so bad!
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..Celebration of Running 5K

22 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 18, 2011 at 10:59 am

What a star Derek is, that’s proper cool of him πŸ™‚ Did you notice that the muffin was spread with jam in the shape of a heart? You can see it in the close-up photo of the muffins. Cute! And appropriate given the content of your post. Take care and have an amazing HLS! πŸ˜€ xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..a special homemade supper

23 Lauren August 18, 2011 at 11:38 am

Aww. I remember how hard it used to be to leave my dog at the puppy hotel. He loved people and dogs, but would look very concerned when I was about to depart. Kind of broke my heart. πŸ™ However, I think most dogs are very good at adjusting!
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

24 Carissa August 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm

My husband makes way better egg dishes than I do too! crazy!

Have fun in Philly! I’d love to be at HLS next year when I have year+ of blogging under my belt!
Carissa recently posted..Thinking Thursday- Where’s the blueberries?

25 Shayla @ The Good Life August 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Awww poor Maddie, that must have been so hard! I worry about the same in regards to dropping off my kids at daycare πŸ™ Hopefully by then I’ll be able to work part-time and have my parents/sister pick up the rest of the days…yes we don’t have any kids yet and I already have this figured out! πŸ˜‰ Although we are trying!!
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Blogging Inspiration

26 Jessica @Baybaybites August 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm

The first time I left my dog at the “doggie” hotel, I cried. πŸ™‚ I could hear her barking a whining. It was horrible. When I picked her up she was having the time of her life.
Jessica @Baybaybites recently posted..Get Ripped! With Jari Love: Slim & Lean Review and Today’s Workout & Food

27 Mara Shorr @ The Leone Company August 18, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Have a great time at the HLS! Looking forward to reading all about it… I was born there and love it πŸ™‚ And as for Maddie, yes, I’m sure she’ll be fine. We have two large pups and it’s impossible to find anyone to watch them. Ever. So we board them, pay those awesome fees, and continue on πŸ˜‰
Mara Shorr @ The Leone Company recently posted..Inspiration On My Desk

28 Allison August 19, 2011 at 7:41 am

English muffins have been making a regular appearance in my meals lately- simple goodness πŸ˜€ especially topped with something savory [Laughing Cow/ goat cheese + jam/ applesauce]
Allison recently posted..Bed Never Felt So Good