Bunny Chow

by Meghann on August 16, 2011

I’ve been one busy bee, running all over Tampa today!

First, I had a meeting with the Tampa Mix1 rep at Starbucks. My sister works as a brand ambassador for Mix1 in Orlando and loves it. I have no current plans to work for the Mix1 community, but I am a big fan of the brand and love how supportive they are of local events and clubs. In fact, Mix1 is a sponsor of the Tampa Tri Team that I’m a member of. They’re really great at getting out in the community and spreading the message of staying active and pushing yourself beyond what you only think you’re capable of achieving. Love that.

The meeting was short, but productive. We traded old war stories of going to school in Tallahassee (he was a fellow FSU alum – Go Noles!), our current training plans, and local races in the area. It was great to connect with someone who was so active in the local Tampa race scene.

The best part was the Mix1 goodie bag he shared when we parted ways. Sweet!

Oh, and a little birdie told me that if you’re attending Healthy Living Summit this weekend to be on the lookout for some Mix1 goodies in your swag bag. πŸ˜‰

My new friend said his good byes and I spent the next 4 hours not budging from my seat at Starbucks. So. Close. To. Showtime.

When my tummy started to grumble, I decided to check out the Fitlife Foods store down the street that Jullian had been raving about.

Basically it’s a pre-made meal shop where you can purchase pre-measured and cooked meals to take home and heat up. There’s different categories so you can make sure you’re getting all the right nutrients, calories, portion size, etc. Basically, it’s the local version of Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig.

Ehh…. It’s a great concept, but not for me. Plus, they required an oven to heat and I wasn’t heading home just yet. I debated buying some for quick meal options this week, but I’m going out of town on Thursday and I won’t be back until Sunday. I would like to come back and try a couple sometime though.

Instead I got on my phone and tried to locate where Wicked ‘ Wiches (a Tampa Food Truck) was serving lunch for the day. Wicked ‘Wiches burst onto the Tampa food scene a few weeks ago and I’ve been dying to try it. The only probablem with Food Trucks is you’re never sure where they’re going to be. I found an intersection, typed it in my phone, and headed out.

Of course it would be my luck that a ‘Laurel St’ intersects with ‘Westshore Blvd’ on both the north and south end and I would pick the wrong one. Gah – not cool google maps!

Eventually (20 minutes later) I found the correct intersection.

These probably aren’t the words they’re going for, but the food truck was adorable. I love the simple design and sharp colors. I also enjoyed how helpful and friendly the workers were inside. All three (four?) of them were closer to 20 than they were to 30 and very passionate about their food and menu.

I’d studied the menu online, but still had no idea what I wanted when it was my turn at the window.

The guy ordering next to me informed me they were famous for their bunny chow and I had to try that, so I did. I ordered the Bourbon Mango Pork Kota – aka bunny chow – with sweet potato chips and a water.

The Mango Pork bunny chow was really pulled pork in a mango bbq sauce in a bread pocket. It had whole chunks of mango in it and really was not messy to eat at all because the pocket kept anything in. It’s the perfect food truck dish because you can walk around eating it and not worry about a thing.

The sweet potato chips were fried fresh and drizzled with a honey/syrup sauce. I’m not a fan of honey on sweet potato fries (I prefer my sweet potatoes salty and not sweet), so next time I would skip the sticky sauce. The sauce was also messy, my fingers still feel sticky after washing them.

I liked the branded water bottles. It was a nice touch. πŸ™‚

I have a few more errands to run and e-mails to check before my work day is over.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm

First Quaker? NOW Mix1 goodies!? I wish I was going to HLS πŸ™
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Dinner for Lunch?

2 chloe @ 321delish August 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm

wow. that lunch looks MUCH better than some prepackaged boxed lunch! bourbon mango…never heard of that combo!
chloe @ 321delish recently posted..Jersey Shore: By the Numbers

3 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life August 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I am a HUGE lover of pulled pork, so that bunny chow looks like it’d be right up my alley (along with the sweet ‘tater chips) YUM!
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..The Target Effect

4 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I am so jealous of all of the HLS attendees. I really want to go!! Lol.

5 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’ve still never eaten from a food truck! Every time I’m in LA, I swear I will track one down but I hate driving around the city so much that I just give up.
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Frozen Yogurt!

6 Alex August 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Jeez… I could eat some sweet potato chips right now. I am not a fan of the sweet version either and am more the classic salt and pepper kind of gal. Although I like them sprinkled with some cinnamon.
Alex recently posted..Generative Sketching by Sergio Albiacs

7 girl in the pink August 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm

hmmm I am not a big fan of those pre made meals either.. I would rather just make something fresh at home!
girl in the pink recently posted..Triple Chocolate Brownies in a Slow Cooker?

8 Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese August 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Honey on chips just sounds strange to me! And messy! The sandwhich looks awesome though! Good luck finishing up your work, wish I was going to be there!!

9 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm

What a great concept–I love traveling food trucks! The taco ones in Austin, TX are phenomenal! Especially at 3am. Aw, memories. πŸ™‚

10 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Food trucks are sooo much fun πŸ™‚
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Candy & Band-Aids for FREE!

11 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food August 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Can’t wait for HLS! YAY πŸ™‚

I would totally devour that Bunny Chow! It looks amazing!
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Will Run for Thai

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Whoa, those chips look super delish!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Carmelita Dessert

13 Mary August 16, 2011 at 4:07 pm

How cool to meet up with local reps with the running community.
Mary recently posted..Thank Goodness for Cooler Temps

14 Michelle August 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is probably the most bizarre comment, but I got chapstick from Mix1 at a race once and it was seriously one of the best chapstick’s i’ve ever had! I always look for them at races now to beg for more but never see them! πŸ™
Michelle recently posted..Something new

15 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) August 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Wait, why is that sandy called Bunny Chow? Haha I’m confused.. I love sweet potato fries, although I will say I’m less interested in having them in chip form! But I’m not a big chip person period I guess.. and def no honey, i agree!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..The end of a lease

16 Meghann August 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I have no idea why its called bunny chow! πŸ™‚

17 Hillary August 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Oh, heavens—that looks delicious. There are a bunch of new food trucks in Baltimore that I need to try—this might be my push to do so!
Hillary recently posted..Make You Banana Pancakes

18 LauraJayne August 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I love the idea of this – we so need one in Utah! I think I’d be a regular customer!
LauraJayne recently posted..Quinoa Flakes & Gratitude

19 Erica August 16, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Fitlife sounds like a great option for those who want to eat well, but are short on time! I so want to eat off a food truck. I’m jealous πŸ˜‰
Erica recently posted..Post Pregnancy Update & (Not My) Auntie Pearl’s Chocolate Chip Cookies

20 Krystina (Organically Me) August 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Mmm, that pulled pork looks amazing!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..On My Decision to Eat Meat

21 Caitlin August 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm

quite an interesting meal concept. I would definitely go back and try it out!

22 Army Amy* August 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Those chips look so yum!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Why I teach

23 Kiah August 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Ahh, food trucks are so fun! My hometown of Durham, NC now has this amazing cupcake truck πŸ™‚
Kiah recently posted..Charlie & Salsa turn one!

24 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 16, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I really don’t think I’d be able to do the pre-packaged meals all the time, either. I’m more of a grazer anyway!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Before the early birds

25 Sana August 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Gooood luck with HLS this weekend, I am sad I won’t be there this year, but I will be there next year fo shooo!
Sana recently posted..Breaking of the Fast, Ramadan Style

26 erica August 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm

i could totally use a store like that…premade meals. i am horrible in the kitchen, and the few things i can cook, aren’t very healthy!
erica recently posted..it’s been killing me!!!

27 Cait's Plate August 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Oh my gosh. That looks SO GOOD!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Just Awesome

28 Corey @ Learning Patience August 16, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Food trucks are so fun..we had tons of them in Houston…no food trucks here in Trinidad… boo
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Celebrating My 100th Post with a Giveaway!

29 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 16, 2011 at 6:15 pm

what a tasty looking lunch!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..The comfort (food) of home

30 Lindsey August 16, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I love the idea of food trucks! I watch Eat Street all the time! They are just catching on up here, so when we are in San Fran in 2 weeks I hope we can try some πŸ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..Library Date

31 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Wow that looks amazing, and I love sweet potato chips! Orlando has had a recently growing food truck scene too, and it’s been so fun trying them all!

32 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 16, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I think food trucks are such a cool concept! Did you ever watch the Next Great Restaurant when they did the food truck challenge?! I loved it, but unfortunately Hershey PA is not a happening enough city to have any! haha I hope you are ready for this weekend! thank you for all your hard work, I really cannot wait!!!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..Taco Salad Tuesday

33 Michelle August 16, 2011 at 8:17 pm

That totally reminds me of that show “The Next Great Restaurant.” I wish my town had something like that!
Can’t wait for the HLS! πŸ™‚

34 Grace August 16, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I’ve never eaten out of a food truck but I’d like to find one in Orlando!

35 Meghan August 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I have a Mix1 freebie sitting in my fridge that I have yet to try. Orange something? I should probably get on that!
Lunch looks yummy, I love pulled pork!!
Meghan recently posted..I’m Sorry, I Smell

36 Debbie August 17, 2011 at 5:06 am

I am headed to Wicked Wiches tomorrow. They are going to be within a block of my work. I am so excited. I will tell them you sent me.
Debbie recently posted..Gasparilla in Pictures

37 Allison August 17, 2011 at 5:13 am

Mmm… Pulled pork… I’ve been craving some for weeks now and still haven’t gotten my fix! I am embarrassed to admit that since I think it’s a summer staple- there are still a few weeks left in summer so I still have time, right?! πŸ˜›
Allison recently posted..A Breakfast From France

38 Ali @ Ali Runs August 17, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’m vacationing in Tampa this week and saw some Mix1 in the Publix where we did most of our shopping!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Storm Chaser Ali

39 Chelsey @ Chew With Your Mouth Open August 17, 2011 at 11:12 am

We don’t really food trucks yet in the Seattle area. Our local government is trying to make it so we can and I cannot wait. I always hear such great things about them!
Chelsey @ Chew With Your Mouth Open recently posted..Road Trip Fun

40 Nikki August 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm

The bunny chow looks SO good… I am with you on the sweet potato needing to be salty instead of sweet, which is why I am not a fan of the Yam casserole you see around the holiday’s in the US.
Nikki recently posted..Stylists, Smoothies and Starbucks, Oh My!

41 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep August 22, 2011 at 10:17 am

I got the same “sandwich” from Wicked Wiches last night at the Orlando Food Truck Bazaar. It was delicious!!! Thanks for the recommendation!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..One Interval at a Time