Cafe Kili

by Meghann on August 15, 2011

I spent the afternoon at a new (to me) coffee shop near USF called Cafe Kili.

I keep forgetting that I live near a university. Universities are usually surrounded by cute coffee shops, where students can come and study. I drove by two on my way to my final destination and was rather excited about the new coffee shops to explore.

USF still has a few weeks until it’s back in session, so Cafe Kili was quiet today. There was only a handful of other patrons typing away at their laptops and a steady stream of of coffee drinkers that would grab their drinks and go. It was quiet, peaceful, and perfect for getting some work done.

I sipped on an iced coffee with milk while plugging away.

And had some nuts and dried fruit.

Yesterday I caught an episode of Racheal Ray that had me craving homemade corn chowder. She made a 30-minute meal of chowder with grilled cheese english muffins sammies that looked easy and delicious. I knew I had to have it for dinner tonight.

I found the recipe from the show, added bacon, and ditched the seafood.

The chowder was supposed to serve 4, but Derek and I finished it in one sitting between the two of us. I’ll take Derek’s multiple returns to the pot for refills as a good sign the meal earned his approval. I’ll agree – it was good. πŸ™‚

The english muffin grilled cheese sammies were good too. I used fresh mozzarella for an extra gooey, cheesy sammie. I also forgot how much I love english muffins – I need to buy these more often!

A tiny bowl of heath bar ice cream with chocolate granola for dessert.

I have another early morning to look forward to.

Good night!

1 Army Amy* August 15, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I love corn chowder, even during the long, hot summer!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Hottest Half: Race Recap

2 Ashley August 15, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Ooh that looks super yum I will have to try that!
Ashley recently posted..Chicago Rock n Roll Half Marathon Recap

3 Hillary August 15, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Grilled cheese and heath bar ice cream?
Yes, please.
Hillary recently posted..Make You Banana Pancakes

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 15, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Sometimes RR knows what she’s talking about. Other times, she’s just super annoying πŸ˜‰ The corn chowder looks great!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..The perfect beach day

5 Mary August 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I . Love. Rachael Ray. I have got tons of her books and they are the bomb. dot. com!
Mary recently posted..The Time I got Followed Home

6 Chloe (In Fine Feather) August 15, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Recently I’ve also gotten into studying & doing my work at cafes – I like the low background chatter & music and also the fact that I can get up and get a treat if I need extra motivation πŸ™‚
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..Last Weekend in Seatown

7 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 15, 2011 at 9:31 pm

That corn chowder looks so good! Gotta love Rachael Ray πŸ™‚
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Just Another Monday Night

8 Alaina August 15, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Corn chowder is delicious! And that grilled cheese sandwich has me drooling. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Yak and Yeti

9 Sarah August 15, 2011 at 9:32 pm

The chowder looks great – did you use the whole milk, or did you substitute something lighter?

10 Danielle C. August 16, 2011 at 12:46 am

I was curious about the same thing…or if you could substitute non-dairy milk? I’m lactose intolerant so I really try to avoid the dairy.
Danielle C. recently posted..danielleruns: @runemz IIRC yam has orange innards and sweet potato is more of a yellow/gold color.

11 Meghann August 16, 2011 at 8:55 am

I’m sure it could work with nondairy milk πŸ™‚ you never know until you try. I used 2%

12 Meghann August 16, 2011 at 8:52 am

All we had in the house was 2%

13 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 15, 2011 at 9:32 pm

30 minute meals are always a steal in my book πŸ˜€
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Funfetti Cookie Recipe

14 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 15, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I feel like my boyfriend and I always eat 4 servings worth of food. I can’t imagine how much food I’ll have to prepare when I have an entire family to feed!

15 Heather August 15, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Heyyy Cafe Kili – that must be named after Mt Kilimanjaro in Africa. I climbed that! Brings back some great traveling memories πŸ™‚

16 Kim August 15, 2011 at 9:36 pm

i’ve never thought to use an english muffin with my grilled cheese, even though its one of my favorites. i’m on a detox right now but this might be one of my first back to reality meals, haha
Kim recently posted..Go Joe & Phil!

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 15, 2011 at 9:41 pm

That corn chowder does look tasty!

I like english muffins too, why oh why do WE not buy them that often!?! Haha.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Use Essential Oils

18 Sana August 15, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hahaha, men don’t count servings, they just eat!
Sana recently posted..Breaking of the Fast, Ramadan Style

19 Dana August 15, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Just wondering if you used whole milk in this recipe like it called for or if you used something different? I’m wondering if it would be ok with skim or 1-2%.

20 Meghann August 16, 2011 at 8:53 am

I used 2% and it was fine.

21 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I read this as “Cafe Kill” and was sort of excited, like maybe a murder mystery had gone down while you were working at a quaint little cafe!!

Maybe one day.

In the mean time, the chowdah looks on point. Though no murder mystery there, either. Shucks.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Molto Bene: A Tale of Triumph

22 Sarah @ EatRunGarden August 15, 2011 at 10:41 pm

mmm, corn chowder sounds like a nice quick filling meal. Great way to use up all the extra corn you find in the summer time.
Sarah @ EatRunGarden recently posted..Last full day in chic town

23 Ashley August 15, 2011 at 11:02 pm

That corn chowder looks ROCKIN’!!
Ashley recently posted..The Crazy Commute

24 Grace August 16, 2011 at 12:08 am

Yum-O! Okay sorry that was cheesy! But seriously that looks awesome!
Grace recently posted..Carb Monster.

25 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 16, 2011 at 12:35 am

Heath bar ice cream sounds amazing!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Frozen Yogurt!

26 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 16, 2011 at 5:01 am

Health bar icecream…yum! πŸ™‚
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..Simple Vegan Recipes and a Giveaway

27 Sophie August 16, 2011 at 5:02 am

I love student coffee places!

28 Beth B. August 16, 2011 at 8:39 am

That dinner looks a-mazing! I have been thinking for the past few days that I need to make a grilled cheese sammy, and that photo of yours just made it a must for tonight!

29 Hope August 16, 2011 at 8:45 am

Your dinner looks so good! There is nothing like comfort food. Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches? Sign me up! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Creamy Taco Mac…

30 Emily August 16, 2011 at 9:26 am

I saw that same episode and it made me crave a grilled sammie.

31 Cait's Plate August 16, 2011 at 9:30 am

That place looks so cute. And I’m with you – I forget about english muffins sometimes and I really shouldn’t because they’re just SO SO good.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Just What I Needed

32 Ali @ Ali Runs August 16, 2011 at 10:23 am

Yum! The corn chowder sounds amazing!! Looks like a good fall recipe too!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..A Beachy Run

33 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 16, 2011 at 11:11 am

I love cute little coffee shops like that! Font get me wrong, Starbucks is great, but there is something so much more personal about private ones!! My husband and I like to go, enjoy a hot beverage and play games, cards, whatever. Haha that sounds kinda dorky now that I think of it!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..Tuesday PTG

34 Caitie August 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm

The blogger at smilewithyourheart.com is trying to get a “bring your damn cup” movement started. Since you do work at a lot of coffee shops, you should vow to do it! No paper/plastic cups for a year. Bring your cup, or else theres a consequence (such as buying the cup of coffee for the next “for here” person or for the person who brings in their own cup also)!!

35 Allison August 17, 2011 at 5:18 am

English muffins are such a simple goodness- TJ’s whole wheat cinnamon raisin muffins topped with a smear of goat cheese has become a recent favorite!
Allison recently posted..A Breakfast From France