Blizzards on my mind

by Meghann on August 14, 2011

It was nice to escape for the weekend, but I’m also happy to be home. A weekend with little internet access the weekend before Healthy Living Summit was enough to make my head spin. Next Thursday can’t come fast enough! πŸ™‚

We spent our remaining hours at the condo lounging by the pool before coming in for lunch.

Derek’s Mom had a spread of left over salad, rotisserie chicken, fresh fruit, and steamed broccoli. I happily filled my plate to the brim, then proceeded to go back for multiple nibbles of fruit and broccoli. πŸ™‚

Derek got my hopes up when he mentioned something about stopping at a nearby Dairy Queen on the way home. Unfortunately, the Dairy Queen he had in mind was closed, but the longing for a thick, creamy Blizzard was still on my mind. We made it all the way back to Tampa before we spotted another one.

One Blizzard of the Month please. πŸ™‚

Totally worth the 2 hour wait. Nutter Butters rock!

The Blizzard became shopping fuel. For the next 3 hours I hit store after store trying to find something for the Healthy Living Summit cocktail hour. None of the stores had anything that seemed right for the occasion. They were either too slutty, too old, too young, too formal, too casual, etc. I think I’m at that weird age where I want to be both young and conservative at the same time.

With 15 minutes until the mall closed, I did find something. I’m not 100% in love with it, but it was the best I could find. I figure if I find something better I can always return it.

We stopped at Derek’s brother’s house on the way home and were invited over for dinner.

His girlfriend (Rachel) made enough baked ziti to feed an army. I had a small serving with garlic bread.

I also had more than a few of Rachel’s homemade tortilla chips with salsa. I could have ate her salsa with a spoon – it was delicious.

Finally, an apple with cinnamon at home for dessert.

Alright, the week of craziness is about to begin.

Bring. It. On. πŸ™‚

1 Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats August 14, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I just had one of those Blizzards last night too! YUM!!
Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats recently posted..Skillet Pork Chop Saute with Peaches

2 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) August 14, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I am probably going to have to get a blizzard tomorrow. You planted the seed. Thanks πŸ™‚
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Back in Action

3 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 14, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I want a Blizzard now too!!! Blizzard on MY mind. Hehe.

Yes, the week is going to be a crazy one, bring it on is right! πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Yoga Is Calming

4 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 14, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I had one of those blizzards last weekend and oh man it was so good. And HLS is going to go so well. I understand the stress in all the last minute stuff but I have no doubt that everyone will love every minute. πŸ™‚
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..One Month To Live: Love Completely

5 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm

NUTTER BUTTER BLIZZARD!? UM. YES.
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..An Astounding Response

6 mindy August 14, 2011 at 9:29 pm

HLS is going to be great – be sure to stop and enjoy it in the midst of of making sure everything goes off well.
mindy recently posted..glee and the help.

7 SaraRM August 14, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I definitely understand about being at a bad age for clothing. I have a really really difficult time finding clothes that either fit or look right. Summer clothes are the worse for me, especially shorts. Im stuck in a junior size body but dont want to dress like a high school hoochie! πŸ™‚

8 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm

oooh what a great day of yummy eats!

9 Chloe (In Fine Feather) August 14, 2011 at 9:36 pm

That salsa looks great. I love corn & avocado together, such a great summery combo.

I agree about the clothes issues – I like to shop at H&M and Forever 21 because I don’t have lots of money to spend on clothes, but I also have to be aware of the fit & cut of the clothing they sell there.
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..Vegetarian Revelations

10 Fit Chick Britt August 14, 2011 at 9:37 pm

That Ziti looks delish. Also nutter butter blizzard!? I might have to go to DQ.
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Active Weekend

11 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm

All the food looks delicious! I need to find a dress still for my cousin’s wedding in less than a week (eek!) and I totally relate to a weird age for buying clothes
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Life as a Chocoholic

12 Jennifer August 14, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Is there a recipe for that very delicious looking salsa? πŸ™‚

13 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 14, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Nutter butter blizzard?! Yum!! I’ve been having difficulty finding a dress too, everything seems so short! That’s why I hate clothes shopping but accessories I love to browse any day!! One size fits all πŸ™‚
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..How β€œThe Help” Helped Me

14 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Everyone has ice cream on their blogs tonight, I want some!!!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Reunited

15 Army Amy* August 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I have the same problem when shopping for work clothes. I’m a teacher, so I have to wear clothes that I can move around in, nothing low cut, but nothing dowdy. It’s hard!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Ode to my ipod

16 michelle August 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I love blizzards!! So craving one now
michelle recently posted..Take Me Out To The Ball Game: Mariners vs Red Sox

17 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 14, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I can never find anything at the mall when I need something specific. Then I always fall in love with things when I don’t need to be buying any more clothes. I’m sure what you picked out will look great!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Hot Dog Heaven and sister time

18 Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat August 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm

If you have an iPhone, there is a DQ finder app- so you never have to wait two hours again!
Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat recently posted..Potato Zucchini Kugel Cupcakes

19 Alaina August 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm

A peanut butter blizzard sounds so good right about now. I used to love DQ’s Peanut Buster Parfaits. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Lazy, Yet Productive

20 Hillary August 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had a Blizzard…I don’t even know that I’ve ever been to DQ! How weird.
Hillary recently posted..Crabtastic

21 Elizabeth August 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Ooooh, is that a mini blizzard?

22 Carissa August 14, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Good luck with all the HLS stuff! It will be amazing!

and i feel ya about the dress. Whenever I shop and am actually looking for something…I can’t find it..boo
Carissa recently posted..Fear the Fish

23 Anna @ Food Fitness and Frolicking August 14, 2011 at 10:10 pm

UM. YUM. I mean everything..the sandwhich, the blizzard, the ziti. Wowzer. Looks like you had a great Sunday!

24 Erin August 14, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I can definitely eat that kind of salsa with a spoon. So good.
I remember you posting quite a closet when you moved! What about a great dress you already have? I realize more and more it’s better to re-wear great items than spend money on so-so ones that just get buried in your closet.

25 Meghann August 14, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I know, I do love my dresses, but I feel weird wearing a dress that’s been featured on the blog. Does that sound pathetic or what? πŸ™‚

26 Erin August 14, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Nahh, not pathetic. I don’t think you should feel that way, but I don’t have such public documentation of my clothes, either!

27 Sara August 14, 2011 at 10:58 pm

That salsa looks so good. I hope you find a dress you love or end up loving the dress you bought. : )

28 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 14, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I got a free Blizzard coupon because it’s my birthday month, but I want to save it for October when the pumpkin pie Blizzard comes out πŸ™‚

29 Ali @ Ali Runs August 14, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I have had the biggest craving for a blizzard lately and this just made it so much stronger!! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Florida Running

30 Krystina (Organically Me) August 15, 2011 at 12:59 am

Oh man, that blizzard and the baked ziti looks insanely delicious.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..New Beginnings

31 Kat August 15, 2011 at 1:04 am

Love your blog but this is like the 5th time I’ve seen you write “I could have ate…” and I cringe every single time. It should be “could have eaten”. Just thought you might appreciate the tip. Hope the Blizzard was amazing as it looks!

32 Dina August 15, 2011 at 5:52 am

I am a terrible shopper and looking for something specific makes me mental. Just do not have the patience to dig through racks and try on 30 things.

I am obsessed with salsa right now and putting it on everything. Perfect summer food.
Dina recently posted..The Ravenous Pig

33 Brittney August 15, 2011 at 5:58 am

DQ has a Nutter Butter Blizzard right now??? You have now set my mission for the week!
Brittney recently posted..Iron Butterfly Pilates

34 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East August 15, 2011 at 6:17 am

OMG- that salsa looks so good!

35 Caitlin August 15, 2011 at 8:08 am

It that a mini blizzard? It looks so tiny! I crave them sometimes but never want to splurge on a small! lol That one looks like the perfect size though!

36 Meghann August 15, 2011 at 9:44 am

That’s actually a small. The mini is really mini.

37 Caitlin August 15, 2011 at 7:43 pm

thanks! I guess looks can be deceiving!

38 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 15, 2011 at 8:16 am

While blizzards have never really been my “thing,” I did get incredibly excited when the beau suggested we get froyo last night after dinner. HA, Who’s the addicted one now?!?!

I also wasn’t entirely sure about wearing a dress that’s already been on the blog but figured, hey, it looked good then, AND maybe it’ll help folks recognize me more easily and be like,
“OH SNAP there’s that double-dress wearer! If she wore that to her best friend’s rehearsal dinner, it must be a special dress indeed. I wanna meet her and bask in her glory.”

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how things will go.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday

39 Meghann August 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

hahaha Love the attitude πŸ™‚

40 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 15, 2011 at 8:36 am

I love the idea of Apple + Cinnamon. You always think of awesome ways to mix food. I wonder if I microwave it for a few minutes if it would taste like baked apples.
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Friendly 18 Miles

41 Meghann August 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

It totally would, but I was in the mood for something cold and crisp. πŸ™‚

42 Victoria August 15, 2011 at 9:03 am

Do you think Rachel would consider sharing that salsa recipe with us? It looks so good!
Victoria recently posted..Making It Work

43 Meghann August 15, 2011 at 9:46 am

I’ll ask! I think she sort of just made it up though.

44 Cait's Plate August 15, 2011 at 9:21 am

GAH! I need to get a Blizzard in my life immediately!

Also? When I first read the title of this post I thought you meant like snow blizzards (given your affinity for snowflakes). I was going to be like “noooo! no snow yet!!” Haha. Glad you meant the ice cream!

45 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 15, 2011 at 9:59 am

That salsa and ziti looks bomb!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Family Time

46 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Ohh Blizzards, how I love them! Although..my favorite might still be McFlurries. I used to get them all the time as a kid so they’re nostalgic. πŸ™‚
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Yoga’s for hard core fighters.