8 Sandy Miles

by Meghann on August 14, 2011

Call me crazy, but I love running on vacation. There’s something about exploring somewhere new that has me extra excited about jumping out of bed, lacing up my running shoes, and hitting the road.

Or the sand, as the case was this morning.

I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that Derek and I were barely able to hold our eyes open at 10:00pm last night. I was out like a light before 10:30 and slept like a baby through the night. Sleep is good. πŸ™‚

I had no problem waking with sun for my planned 8 miler. A glass of water, a muffin for fuel, and I was out the door.

It was a beautiful morning for a run. I ran down the beach, up the island service roads, and through the piers. It was so peaceful – not another soul in sight almost the entire 8 miles.

(p.s. TOTALLY obsessed with my new point and shoot Canon s95! <- the camera I’ve used this entire weekend)

I did run into another runner half way through the run. We sort of grunted and nodded at each other before moving on. I love the unspoken bond between runners, especially runners who are both running on a hot and humid island in the middle of August. πŸ™‚

I finished before anyone else in the house was awake yet. I chugged water and made a big bowl of cereal for breakfast.

• Multi Grain Cheerios
  • Quaker Life Cereal
  • 1 crumbled Chocolate/ Blueberry Muffins
  • Cherry Chobani
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries

Love the berries. πŸ™‚

We’re going to hit the pool before heading home. It’s tax free days this weekend in Florida and I have my eye on a new dress for Healthy Living Summit. πŸ˜‰

1 Courtney August 14, 2011 at 10:59 am

Love the dock + sunrise photo; beautiful!!
Courtney recently posted..Wait… August?!

2 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 14, 2011 at 11:13 am

I love running on vacation too πŸ™‚ Something about exploring a new location is so great! However, running on the sand is HARD! Kudos for that haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..How Jesus Christ Saved Me

3 Danielle Dillard August 14, 2011 at 11:25 am

I loooove running on vacation. More than running in my own city πŸ˜‰ I imagine my first marathon will be a vacation place that I travel to, rather than doing a local one like Disney. Haven’t picked one out yet… any ideas?

PS – love your camera. Saving up for a new one – I’ll have to look at this one. Happy last day of vaca!
Danielle Dillard recently posted..Skipping workouts guilt free & less is no longer more when it comes to my running shoes

4 Shannon @ Mon Amour August 14, 2011 at 11:26 am

I love running on the beach! It is so peaceful and relaxing
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..6 Miles

5 Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese August 14, 2011 at 11:34 am

What a gorgeous morning! Your camera is definitely great, what awesome pictures! Happy Sunday!
Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese recently posted..First up, 5K.

6 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 14, 2011 at 11:37 am

I haven’t really been on vacation since I started running seriously, but the few times I’ve run in another city I’ve loved it!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..My Worst Nightmare

7 Natalie S. August 14, 2011 at 11:42 am

Running in the sand is always harder but it makes for some great views!
Natalie S. recently posted..cooking for yourself: chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting

8 michelle August 14, 2011 at 11:48 am

I love the picture of the dock with the water looking so calm.
michelle recently posted..Frankfurt Marathon Training: 14 + 3 miles

9 Katy (The Singing Runner) August 14, 2011 at 11:51 am

Running on vacation is the best! πŸ™‚ I love to do it!

I still need to find a dress for HLS! I haven’t had any luck the past two days and I NEED to take advantage of tax free weekend! πŸ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Reality Check

10 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm

What a fantastic location! It’s beautiful!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Mentally Defeated

11 Cait's Plate August 14, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I’m totally with you on the loving to run on vacation – I’m the same way. It’s so nice not to have to try to fit it into any sort of schedule and just go when you feel ready!

12 grace b August 14, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Ahhh it looks amazing! What a fabulous place!

And not to be insensitive–but didn’t your closet have tons of lovely dresses when you moved? I bet one of those would be fabulous for the HLS! Hope it’s an awesome event (sure it will be cause we all know how hard you’ve worked on it!)

13 Ali @ Ali Runs August 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I got a run in on the beach too!! Loved it, although I didn’t get out there early enough bc it was hot hot hot!! Good luck finding a dress πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Florida Running

14 Megan August 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm

What an amazing place to run! And I agree, I always enjoy my runs while on vacay. Florida has the prettiest sunrises & sunsets πŸ™‚

15 Hillary August 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I love not only running in new places, but also running when no one else is around. It’s so peaceful—and it looks like you had a pretty good view the whole way!
Hillary recently posted..Crabtastic

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Gorgeous pics with the point & shoot! I have a 6 miler planned tomorrow on the beach here in NC and I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a brutal one with the heat & humidity!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Reunited

17 Sophie August 14, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Beautiful scenery – great work wth the new camera!
Sophie recently posted..Summer School’s Out!

18 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life August 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I love running on vacation too! I love discovering new paths and routes.
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..Things I Must Make Immediately

19 Emily @ Life on Food August 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Eight miles would be bunches of fun with views like that…so pretty. I don’t know how I would feel about the humidity though. Great job!
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Chocolate and Peanut Butter

20 Allison August 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I made a similar yogurt bowl for breakfast this morning and it was heavenly!
Allison recently posted..NGT, NGT, NGT Time

21 Army Amy* August 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Beautiful beach photos!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Ode to my ipod

22 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm

That’s a beautiful run! I love running on vacation, too. It’s such an awesome change of scenery.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..It’s a dirty pet peeve. [+ long run #2!]

23 Bridget August 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I LOVE running on vacation. It’s more fun to not know the route and just kind of go. I saw a runner this morning and gave her the thumbs up. I don’t know why I thumbs up (apparently I think I’m a politician) but she laughed!

24 Meghan August 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm

your point and shoot does take awesome pics! I love running on vacation, too πŸ™‚
Meghan recently posted..Black On Bottom

25 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I love running on vacation too..especially when I don’t consider it something I “have to” do and can just be carefree about how long I run for
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Life as a Chocoholic

26 Christine August 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm

that cereal looks crazy good! and i agree – i love exploring a new area on vacation by going on a relaxing run.

xoxo

27 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 14, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Running on vacation is SO fun, I agree. But I need to feel safe, so I have to check out the area first, haha πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Yoga Is Calming

28 Mary August 14, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Holler tax free weekend! Ours was last week here in NC πŸ™‚
Mary recently posted..Adventures With Caitlin

29 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 14, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I love exercising on vacation too! I think its because it is so much less boring! New places, new sites, new distractions to pass the time! I am struggling to find a dress…everything I saw was so short!! definitely not my style. Good luck shopping!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..How β€œThe Help” Helped Me

30 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Sounds like a great run! I love that feeling like the whole world is still asleep.

31 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I love all of your pictures! I’ve been researching cameras because I need a new one … thanks for the recommendation! πŸ™‚
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Entering the β€œDouble Digits.”

32 Amy August 14, 2011 at 8:21 pm

My favourite time to run is on vacation. Especially when I am in the city, there is something about seeing a place without its inhabitants and exploring before all the other feet come out and crowd the pavement.
Amy recently posted..Happy Vege-versary to Me!

33 Hilary August 14, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I too, love running on vacation (and the beach)! I’ve even done half of a LONG run barefoot on the beach due to blisters. Can’t wait to meet and run with you at HLS next weekend. πŸ™‚
Hilary recently posted..I LIKE veggies

34 Alaina August 14, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I love exploring a new city/area by running through it. I always bring my running sneakers on vacation now. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Lazy, Yet Productive

35 Erika August 15, 2011 at 10:43 am

I love your pictures! Do you run with your camera, or do you finish your run and head back out to shoot later? If you’re clicking and running, what do you do with your camera while you’re racking up the miles?

Thanks for posting such a fantastic blog!

36 Meghann August 15, 2011 at 10:45 am

I take the photos as I run. Sometimes I put the camera in a pouch on my waist, but most of the time (like yesterday) I just ran with it in my hand.

37 Eileen August 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I love that picture of the dock! I made it the background on my computer at work. I also love your comment on the unspoke bond between runners. It’s so true. I also find that if someone says hi I will say hi, if they wave I will wave, if they nod I will nod, etc. So funny…