Raining in Paradise

by Meghann on August 13, 2011

It’s raining in paradise this morning.

We woke to loud thunder and a shivering Maddie buried so deep in the covers it took a full minute to unbury her. Good thing she’s cute when she’s scared.

We’re staying with Derek’s parents at his grandfather’s beach condo for the weekend. The last time Derek and I were here it was Valentine’s weekend 2009 and we were ‘just friends.’

CIMG5303.JPG

I’m not sure I’ve ever told this story on here, but – back then – I honestly believed we were ‘just friends.’ Derek and I had dated in college, but it never led to anything serious because he was pretty adamant about not being ready to settle down. When we reconnected a couple of years later, I assumed he still had the same mind set, so I didn’t allow myself to get emotionally involved at all. Then I show up and get whisked away to spend the weekend with his family on a tiny secluded island. Awkward.

I stuck with my gut and kept up the ‘just friends’ charade until the ride home when Derek gave it to me straight. He still had feelings for me and had brought me to the beach house because he wanted to commit and be with just me. He said some really sweet things that still give me butterflies when I think about, but, as they say, the rest history.

Two and a half years later and here we are. Back at the same beach condo where it all began.

Now, it just needs to stop raining, so we can get out and enjoy it!

I was planning a long run, but decided to push the long run to tomorrow and take advantage of a rest day today. It felt good to sleep in!

Derek’s Mom brought a few of my favorite cereals for breakfast.

I had a bowl of Multi Grain Cheerios, Quaker Life, Lemon Chobani, Blueberries, and Strawberries.

There’s a 40% chance of rain all day today, but it looks like it’s just a band of rain going though right now. Fingers crossed for clear skies this afternoon!

Happy Saturday Everyone!

1 Silvia @ skinny jeans food August 13, 2011 at 10:17 am

I hear engagement singing in the waves….. πŸ˜‰ Enjoy, hope the weather clears up.
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Zucchini Deluge

2 Julie August 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

Haha, that’s exactly what I thought, Sylvia! SOMEONE is getting engaged…!

3 Christine @ BookishlyB August 13, 2011 at 11:54 am

My first thought too!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Put it in Your Box

4 Marissa Elliot August 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

yuup i’d be very surprised if there isn’t an engagement this weekend!

5 NJ August 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm

OMG I feel so bad for Derek. It would suck to have such a huge life decision weighed in on by your lady’s blog followers every time there was a vacation.

6 Lucy August 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Agree, seems desperate.

7 Derek August 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm

NJ understands my plight

8 Bri August 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Talk about pressure…if I were in Derek’s shoes, that type of comment would be a major disincentive. Takes the fun out of it for the guy when there’s all this hint-dropping/speculation going on. Totally not trying to be a black cloud, it’s just annoying and seems desperate in real life and groan-inducing to read.

Hope it is a fun vacation–whatever happens, happens πŸ™‚

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm

YES YES YES!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fill me up blueberry pancakes

10 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 13, 2011 at 10:17 am

“Just friends” always means something completely different to guys as it does to girls haha

Have a great time, Meghann!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted.."Guess That Plate!"

11 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign August 13, 2011 at 10:35 am

Aw, that’s such a cute story about you guys!

12 kirsten August 13, 2011 at 10:37 am

aww very cute story! have a great time and I hope the weather clears up for you!

13 Cait's Plate August 13, 2011 at 10:41 am

Awww, I LOVE that story!! It was only a matter of time before he just couldn’t resist having you all to himself πŸ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Cinnamon Roll French Toast

14 Army Amy* August 13, 2011 at 10:44 am

I love love! I’ll cross my fingers that your rain clears up!*
Army Amy* recently posted..B.B.B.

15 Fallon August 13, 2011 at 11:12 am

I agree with everyone.. are you sure he isn’t going to propose?? Sounds kind of suspicious taking you back here 2 years later! And mom buys you your favorite cereals?? Hmmm πŸ˜‰
Fallon recently posted..Fallon’s Life in Limbo

16 Kara August 14, 2011 at 5:05 am

You know, the cereal thing is EXACTLY how I knew my husband was going to propose. πŸ˜›
Kara recently posted..That guy who trolls my blog wrote a post

17 Fallon August 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

Hey that would of been a super original idea. πŸ˜‰
Fallon recently posted..Ft. Sumter Charleston, SC

18 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 13, 2011 at 11:19 am

That was really sweet of his mom to buy you the cereal you like!! And it looks super yummy!

Have a great weekend. Hope your weather improves. The weather up here in Ohio has been perfect recently … high 70s during the day and in the 60s at night. Love it! πŸ™‚
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Things that make me smile (Take 2).

19 Faith August 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

Aww, what a cute story! It’s nice to see that relationships can have a non-traditional flow and still turn out great – The Coach and I had some issues a few months in that caused us to break up but we remained best friends until we got back together a bit later….and sure enough our one year anniversary is coming up this weekend! I’ve been a little apprehensive about giving it that second try but it’s nice to see that relationships dont have to be perfect from the get-go to be wonderful!

20 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees August 13, 2011 at 11:31 am

That is an interesting start to dating for sure, hah! Hope the rain clears up for you on your weekend away!
Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees recently posted..Breakfasts on the Porch

21 Hillary August 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

Love love LOVE stories like this.
Enjoy your time there, ring or no ring! ; )
Hillary recently posted..Back in the Kitchen

22 s August 13, 2011 at 11:59 am

hope the rain clears up … have a great time!

23 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce August 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Such a sweet story!
And breakfast looks good! yay! hope it stops raining!

24 Krystina (Organically Me) August 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm

What a sweet story. πŸ™‚ and a cute idea to bring you away for the weekend to ask you!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..New Beginnings

25 Alaina August 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm

What a cute story. πŸ™‚

Hope you guys have a great weekend and that the weather clears up for you!
Alaina recently posted..Lazy, Yet Productive

26 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I hope the weather clears up soon.

Have a great weekend at the beach!
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..The apples and eggs connection

27 Sara August 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm

That location looks amazing, rain or not!
Sara recently posted..5K Crazy?

28 Trish August 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Okay, so he decided that he did want to be with you. Great. And here we are over two years later. I’m wondering where the ring is? πŸ˜‰ I am thinking it’s time to really prove he’s in this. No better way than with a diamond!

29 NJ August 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm

This comment makes me want to gag. What decade are you living in?

30 Trish August 13, 2011 at 4:31 pm

You have every right to have a different perspective but please, there’s no need to attack me or be abusive. Share your thoughts without putting someone else down.

And I live in the present decade where love leads to marriage. I don’t see anything wrong with a long-term serious relationship moving into marriage. I think they are nice people who seem to be in love – so it’ s my feeling that marriage is a natural next step. I think marriage is a positive thing and I hope it will be in their future.

We all have different thoughts and opinions. Some of us are more traditional, some of us are less. We can each share our thoughts. Again, if you feel differently then fine – but don’t put someone else down because you disagree.

31 Trish August 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

And further – my statement was intended to be light hearted. I know they’ve been together a while and moved in together – It was meant more in the way of wanting to see them keep progressing forward. It was supportive of them getting closer and taking more steps forward. So lighten up.

32 NJ August 13, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I apologize if you took it that way but your comment did not come off as “light hearted.” I just feel for the guy.

You mention both “ring” and “diamond” in a three line post and then insinuate that Derek needs to “prove he’s in this?” What kind of comment is that if not one targeted at a poor guy doing nothing but taking his girlfriend on vacation?

I think they both know what they are doing in life. I just feel bad for Derek that EVERY time there is a blog post about their relationship it turns into an opportunity to load about a trillion tons of pressure on the guy to propose.

I’m getting married in less than 3 months, so I do believe in marraige. But I am certainly glad that my fiance had the opportunity to make the decision to ask me a private one with ZERO pressure from me or those around me. This way, see, I know it’s genuine. I’m plenty lightened up too, thanks! πŸ˜‰

33 Rachel August 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Differing opinions are inevitable, but I just wanted to point out that expecting a man to “prove” his love with a diamond isn’t “more traditional.” The diamond engagement ring has only been a custom for the past couple generations… largely because of marketing campaigns by diamond companies.

There’s lots of other ways a guy can show he loves the woman he’s chosen to be with. Like, say, moving in together, taking her on family vacations, etc….
Rachel recently posted..Tips from Your Editor: Lay vs. Lie

34 Freya August 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I love that you two split a heart pretzel thing back in 2009..that’s too cute πŸ™‚
I hope you’re having a fabulous weekend!! I love what the first load of commenters said πŸ˜‰
Freya recently posted..The People

35 Stacey @Starpulp August 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I honestly JUST read the old post from ’09 Valentines about a week ago! (Love looking through your old posts for recipe ideas BTW) So cute to hear the “real story” after having just read that. Awesome!

Have a great weekend and enjoy the time you have together!!
Stacey @Starpulp recently posted..Furry Friday 8/12

36 erica August 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm

i love it! such a good story!
erica recently posted..preweddingmoon: day 3

37 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 13, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Aw! Loved the little trip in memory lane. πŸ™‚
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..5 Minute Tropical Ice Cream

38 Corey @ Learning Patience August 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for sharing the story…so awesome – Enjoy your time there – rain or no rain – something the best moments are the unplanned & unpredictable ones! xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Quinoa — My Superfood

39 Brandi August 13, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Ok. So the whole time I was reading this blog post I, along with a lot you, was thinking ENGAGEMENT! Then after reading meghann’s tweets, I realized WHY we all thought that. Because MEGHANN thought that. If she had said ‘We are at Derek’s family’s condo for the weekemd!’. How many of you would have thought he was going to propose??? I feel bad for Meghann. It is perfectly fine to be with your bf for nearly 3 years without becoming engaged or married if BOTH people are happy with where things are at. But Meghann, as so many people point out in her comments all the time, is DESPERATE to be proposed to. She quit her job, got rid of her apartment and moved from Orlando which she LOVED, so she could be with Derek in Tampa. To be honest, I dont see a proposal on the horizon either. You know the saying: He’s just not that into you? Well it seems to apply here big time. I think Meghann deserves a lot better than this!

40 Mochi August 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Yes! Thank you so much for saying this. I have been thinking it forever.

41 Mel August 14, 2011 at 1:32 am

Wow this is the first time I have ever commented on a blog, after reading for 2 years! That is just the rudest thing Ive ever read and can’t believe you think its acceptable to post! So disappointed!

42 Molly August 14, 2011 at 4:52 am

::nods head in agreement::

43 Ellie August 14, 2011 at 9:48 am

Agreed.

44 Lauren August 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I sort of hate contributing to this completely unnecessary drama…but seriously? What a completely inappropriate, rude comment.

I’m absolutely floored by some of the old-fashioned, totally antiquated mindsets popping up in the comments here. People date for ALL lengths of time. Not being engaged or married by the arbitrarily-chosen two-year mark says absolutely NOTHING about the strength of a relationship. Why do some people feel that an engagement is the only way to “prove” love? Like a ring – and only a ring – makes a relationship official? If that’s your personal belief, then fine. But I don’t think anyone here has the right to project it upon Meghann and Derek.
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

45 Kath August 17, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Somebody delete this comment…
Kath recently posted..The Dish Ran Away With The Spoon

46 Lauren August 17, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Mine? It wasn’t my goal at all to be offensive – I was simply showing my support for both Meghann and Derek. People date for all lengths of time, and it’s no one’s business but the two parties involved when and if they get engaged.
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

47 Kath August 17, 2011 at 9:16 pm

No, sorry Lauren, I meant Brandi’s!
Kath recently posted..The Dish Ran Away With The Spoon

48 Hilary August 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Awww….so cute. My sister first got introduced to her in-laws as “Tim’s friend,” and now they’ve been married for 5 years!
Hilary recently posted..Ch-ch-changes!

49 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 13, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Why are multi grain cheerios so good? I LOVE them.
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..A Cheesecake Kind of Day

50 Ali @ Ali Runs August 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I hope you and Derek have a great time on your weekend getaway! Sometimes its nice to just sleep in and relax as opposed to always being on the go!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon Training: 10 Miles

51 Lisa August 13, 2011 at 11:26 pm

πŸ™‚ My husband and I did the “just friends” thing for a while too. More-than-just-friends is better. πŸ˜‰
Lisa recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #39: Sunny Seed Hiking

52 Brandi August 14, 2011 at 1:59 am

Rachel,
Engagement rings may be a ‘new custom’ but becoming engaged and married is nothing new. I would think that the actual engagement ring is not the sole reason for Meghann being ready to get married and have children. And once again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 2 people being in a relationship for 3, 4, 5 years, or forever for that matter and not getting married if BOTH of them are happy with the relationship that way. Meghann makes no secret of the fact that she is more than ready for that next step. I just think Meghann deserves better than to be pining away waiting on some guy to decide if he wants to marry her or not. Seems like he is awfully comfortable with things the way they are now. I hope I am completely wrong, but Meghann has done her part. She quit her job, moved out of her apartment in Orlando where all of her friends were, and moved to Tampa to be with Derek. If I had done those things and made it known that I was ready to get married, I would NOT wait around for him to ‘decide when he thought the time was right’ It would be more like, ‘you call me when you get good and ready to settle down, and JUST MAYBE I will still be single! Meghann is a GREAT GIRL! Put a RING on it Derek! Before she gets tired of your excuses!

53 Rachel August 17, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I realize that engagement/betrothal isn’t new; I was simply responding to the idea that a man had to “prove” his love with a diamond. Seems like a man should prove his love by… um, loving?

You seem to know an awful lot about Meghann and Derek’s person life! Wow.
Rachel recently posted..Tips from Your Editor: Lay vs. Lie

54 Molly August 14, 2011 at 4:53 am

maybe meghann should propose to derek πŸ™‚

55 Kara August 14, 2011 at 5:08 am

Wow, post a daily picture of your breakfast and the world will have an opinion about your relationship, huh? πŸ™‚

I hope you have a great weekend!
Kara recently posted..That guy who trolls my blog wrote a post

56 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted August 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm

This made me crack up, so true!
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Another Family Birthday

57 Dawn August 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Wow…I think everybody should relax a little and not be so quick to offer opinions on someone’s relationship. Just because you read this blog does NOT mean you know about her relationship or are fit to speculate on why they are not engaged. The decision to get married is huge and should not be entered into lightly. Its something that should be done in their own time, without pressure from people they don’t even know.

58 chris August 14, 2011 at 8:32 pm

whoa everyone, settle down! we are just blog readers, why are you so invested in wanting the two of them hitched? for the record, i don’t think meghann comes off as desperate. she just seems to look forward to marriage and kids, but that is true of most people. give them a break! they’ll do it if, and when, they are ever ready. what difference does it make to you?

hang in there through these comments meghann and derek. you know your relationship better than anyone else and whatever you do, when you do it, is your business!

59 Charise August 15, 2011 at 11:37 am

I totally agree with you! None of us really know what their relationship is like. And just because Meghann relocated to move in with Derek doesn’t mean she has “done her part” and needs to be proposed to – relationships don’t work that way! I moved to a new state for my boyfriend and lived with him for more than 2 years before we got engaged, and then had a 2.5 yr long engagement. Marriage means different things to different people and isn’t a priority/necessity for some, and when she says they are happy where they are, I know from experience Meghann can truly mean that.
Charise recently posted..Zucchini Hush Puppies