A Day at the Beach

by Meghann on August 13, 2011

We lucked out.

The skies turned blue and it ended up being a beautiful day at the beach.

Yippee!

We’re staying on a pretty secluded island, which means lots of empty beaches to explore. Derek and I spent the late morning walking up and down the coast. It was a quiet and relaxing way to spend the day.

We’re also staying in the shelling capital of the world. Seashells everywhere, as far as the eye could see.

I thought they would make a good hat.

Derek had another idea…

Hmmm…. I think I need to find some bigger shells before I can strap on a fin and start singing “Part of your world”. πŸ˜‰

We did sandwiches for lunch.

I made a delicious hummus, goat cheese, tomato, cucumber, and spring greens for mine.

Derek’s Mom brought the good goat cheese (not the cheap stuff I always pretend is as good as the good stuff, but really isn’t). Derek and I were rather generous with our goat cheese smears, we’re both obsessed!

I also enjoyed the juicy peach on the side.

After lunch we hit the pool.

(where I discovered listening to an audiobook poolside isn’t nearly as fun as reading a book poolside)

My ‘I’m training for a HIM’ hunger hit me hard this afternoon. I had a Luna Bar around 3:00, but was ready to eat again by 5:00.

I had some cashews and plenty of nibbles while prepping for dinner. I felt like I could eat and eat and eat.

Derek’s parents did a fabulous job at dinner.

They had a salad of greens, tomato, and goat cheese, sweet potato fries, and grilled up steaks and shrimp.

And fruit salad for dessert.

So, so, good. πŸ™‚

Maddie had been dying to be on the beach all day.

We headed out as a family to watch the sunset.

And then….

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!

hehehe

For the record, that was 100% Derek’s idea. And that’s his mom’s ring. They both found these photos hilarious.

They also loved reading the comments from this morning’s post. Derek mentioned something about it being too obvious and not too hold my breath. Pshhh…..

In all serious, he’ll ask in his own time. Don’t worry about us – we’re happy just the way we are. πŸ™‚

xoxo πŸ™‚

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Okay I just totally freaked out. You’re so not nice. πŸ˜‰
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..saturday happenings

2 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Haha, too cute!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..My Worst Nightmare

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 13, 2011 at 9:27 pm

You totally got me for that 1 second before scrolling down! Nice work! πŸ˜‰ Enjoy the beach!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..It’s beach time!

4 Silvia @ skinny jeans food August 13, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Haha! Looks like a beautiful walk in the evening on the beach with the fam… and a gorgeous, …..well, engagement rehearsal πŸ˜‰
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Zucchini Deluge

5 Army Amy* August 13, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I love the Little Mermaid reference. And what a great way to handle the engagement pressure! What’s the rush, right?*

6 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm

LMAO. I was thinking there’s no way in hell she would title her engagement post “A Day At The Beach.” (Pretty ring though)

I also thought of “Part of this world” with the shells. You could pull it off.

You’re right — all in good time! I waited 5 years for my ring and it was worth the wait πŸ™‚
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..The Forgotten Child

7 Anna August 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I’ve often wondered how Derek handles all your engagement talk on the blog. It’s good that he takes it in stride.

8 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner August 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Oh, not cool, Meghann, not cool. I gasped and then went “Awwwww…” Disappointed right here. Come on Derek… we’re all waiting here…
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..in memory of grandma

9 Christine @ BookishlyB August 13, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Cute. Random question- are your nails natural? They’re so long!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Put it in Your Box

10 Ali @ Ali Runs August 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm

So glad the weather cleared up for you! I’m actually vacationing in Tampa this weekend and part of next week! It was gorgeous all day but hot hot hot!! Even the ocean was like bath water! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon Training: 10 Miles

11 Cait's Plate August 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Gah! Looks like SUCH a fun day!! I love that the whole ring thing was Derek’s idea – that makes it 150% more awesome. Haha
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Going Mobile

12 RunEatRepeat August 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Mother F! I totally screamed when I saw that ring picture. Then, was sad that it was a not true. You just took a year off my life with that joke.

13 Natalie S. August 13, 2011 at 10:56 pm

AHHH you totally froke me out! That’s a gorgeous solitary diamond though. πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to go to the beach — I’m going for a few days this upcoming week! Yay!
Natalie S. recently posted..cooking for yourself: chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting

14 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 13, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Not even funny! I was so incredibly excited for you!! I’m so happy that y’all are happy though. I’m glad you’re having a great vacation!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..A Cheesecake Kind of Day

15 Kath August 13, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Ahhhhh you totally got me. Very disappointed over here!!!!
Kath recently posted..Sweet Tart

16 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 13, 2011 at 11:02 pm

awwww HAHA, you totally got me!

We just got back from the beach and we had the SAME plastic plates. They work perfect, just in case you wondered. hehe πŸ˜‰
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Yoga Is Calming

17 Jessica August 13, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Ha ha! That was funny. πŸ™‚ My hubby proposed while we were laying in bed on a Friday night watching TV. I think the less obvious the better.
Jessica recently posted..Friday Night Run

18 Erin August 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm

This is meant as constructive criticism, but the constant head shots (and feet shots) are really a detractor from this blog.

19 Marissa Elliot August 14, 2011 at 1:08 am

agreed!!!!!

20 Hillary August 13, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Loved the gag photos. Keep people on their toes, ya know?
Hillary recently posted..Back to Baking

21 Lauren @ The Raw Cure August 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Those are some gorgeous photos of the beach!
Lauren @ The Raw Cure recently posted..wish & receive

22 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 13, 2011 at 11:56 pm

HAHA! I gasped when I saw the ring picture! Touche’ Meghann, touche.

As long as you two are happy– that’s all that matters πŸ™‚
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Funfetti Amy

23 Dione August 14, 2011 at 12:05 am

Bahahaha, I totally fell for it! I thought to myself HOW DID SHE NOT TWEET THIS!! Cute post. πŸ™‚

24 Sara August 14, 2011 at 12:09 am

You got me, too! Can’t believe how invested I became in an instant.
Sara recently posted..5K Crazy?

25 Sana August 14, 2011 at 12:29 am

I can’t wait till he pops the questionnn!
Sana recently posted..When does the Sunset?

26 Alyssa August 14, 2011 at 12:30 am

omg, you totally had me for a moment! Looking forward for when he does, no matter when it is πŸ™‚

27 Elise August 14, 2011 at 1:56 am

hah! i love it. the fact he can do that (and it was his idea): definitely a keeper. hope the rest of your weekend is as fabulous as today!
Elise recently posted..Pre-Triathlon Jitters

28 Laura @ Backstage Balance August 14, 2011 at 2:20 am

You had me going for a moment there! Lol!
Are you guys on Sanibrl? I spent an afternoon there earlier this year and found the beach to be absolutely breathtaking – perfect! Have fun! πŸ™‚
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..Four weeks ’til Pikes Peak

29 Val August 14, 2011 at 3:20 am

Long time reader – never a comment er.
seriously, I think you two make a great couple! I love your pics and I can’t wait till it all happens. Your still young hang in there. Derek seems like a wonderful guy! Forget all the B.S. that people post, I can’t understand that . Why are people so hateful? Love your shots and your lay-out. Best advise from an old married lady…keep it spicy and fun, just like you do.

30 Sophie August 14, 2011 at 5:23 am

Bautiful sunset! Enjoy your little break πŸ™‚
Sophie recently posted..Thought For Friday!

31 Meleza August 14, 2011 at 5:54 am

Oooh wow! no comment.
Meleza recently posted..angry birds online

32 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 14, 2011 at 6:47 am

it looks like you guys had a great day!!! I am so happy the weather cleared and you got some sunshine.
PS that chocolate dipped coconut luna is amazing! i just picked up Clif chocolate chip coconut…have you tried it??? ill let you know what I think πŸ™‚
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..Quit Counting Calories!

33 alison August 14, 2011 at 8:42 am

Ha! Too funny! I’m glad you the sun came out and you were able to have a nice day at the beach.
alison recently posted..Orange Fanta Chaser

34 Amy @ SGTC August 14, 2011 at 9:14 am

I don’t know if you eat bacon or not…but I enjoy “BHC” (like BLT) sandwiches! Bacon, hummus and cucumber! They are amazing! πŸ™‚ Thought I would share!
Amy @ SGTC recently posted..This is just a test

35 Lindsey August 14, 2011 at 9:48 am

haha, too funny! I have to say we did play that trick once too πŸ˜‰ After dating for 6 years we always got the question! But you are right there is no rush , it will happen when it happens πŸ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..Superfoods

36 Allison August 14, 2011 at 11:07 am

Chocolate Dipped Coconut Luna bars are heavenly… remind me of Samoas!
Allison recently posted..NGT, NGT, NGT Time

37 Allison August 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

P.S. TJ’s has great spreadable goat cheese!
Allison recently posted..NGT, NGT, NGT Time

38 Anne Weber-Falk August 14, 2011 at 11:24 am

What are you two waiting for?! I say YOU ask him to take the plunge. Get him his own ring too! I’m glad you are happy the way things are but…when IS he going to feel ready?

39 Shayla @ The Good Life August 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Ahhh you totally had me there! I for sure thought, “this is it!”

You two are such a cute couple and you’re both so young there’s no need to rush it…just enjoy being together and having fun without any pressure πŸ™‚
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Personal Questions

40 Deva at Voracious Vorilee August 14, 2011 at 12:10 pm

The Boy and I have been together for five years and mostly, it’s our friends that pressure us to get engaged. We will be there when we are ready, and I am glad that you are able to take it in stride.
Deva at Voracious Vorilee recently posted..Vacation By the Numbers

41 melissa (fitnessnyc) August 14, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Ha! my boyfriend’s little sister just got engaged. She even asked him right before if it would interfere with his timeframe with me if they got married spring 2012, he replied absolutely not. So I know that I have at least a year or two before engagement–at least there’s no need to get anxious about it. But as you said, we’re happy as we are. πŸ™‚
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Super Saturday

42 Nikki @pickynikki August 14, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Haha… great gag Meghann! You had me! Beautiful ring, but I see you in something different! something you can wear when training perhaps? I agree with above commenter that I was shocked you didn’t tweet about it πŸ˜›

Hope you enjoy the rest of your beach vacay!
Nikki @pickynikki recently posted..I’m back! + hockey camp recap

43 Laurie August 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

Oh man, I was so excited when I saw that!!! OK, it needs to happen soon!!! Come on Derek!!!