more ยป" />

Test Set: Month 3

by Meghann on August 11, 2011

Good Morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

Today was a swimming morning. I headed to the pool with every intention of kicking butt in the water. I started off easy, challenged myself with a test set, and finished off with a nice cool down. Swimming success. ๐Ÿ™‚

I like test sets because it’s a good way to judge how far I’ve come.

Here’s a peek at my numbers from my first test set two months ago (on June 13th)

• 3x 100 (2:05, 2:06, 2:04) w/ 30 sec rests
  • 2 x 200 (4:11, 4:14) w/ 45 sec rests
  • 1 x 500 (11:33???)

Then almost a month later (on July 20th)

• 3 x 100 (average of 1:55)
  • 2 x 200 (average of 4:00)
  • 1 x 500 (10:10)

See the improvement?

Now check out this morning’s workout breakdown:

Warm Up:

• 250 Easy
  • 200 w/ Kickboard intervals

Main Set:

• 3 x 100 (1:51, 1:52, 1:53) w/ 30 sec rest
  • 2 x 200 (3:51, 3:55) w/ 30 sec rest
  • 1 x 500 (10:15)

Cool Down:

• 250 w/ pull buoy
  • 100 Easy

Total yards: 2000

I know it’s only a couple of seconds, but I really do feel like I’m getting faster in the water. Though, I’m not sure what happened with that 500 – maybe I need to work at longer intervals? ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve been swimming twice a week for over two months now and I’ve never felt more confident in the water than I do now. I’m not speedy by any means, but I feel stronger and quicker than I did before. All this training is really starting to pay off. ๐Ÿ™‚

After the pool I headed to the weight room for my final workout of Stage 2 for New Rules of Lifting for Women. I’ll give my full recap of Stage 2 sometime next week, but I will say with a total of 8 workouts, stage 2 felt really short – almost too short.

Breakfast wasn’t anything exciting, just a big ole bowl of cereal.

In the mix:

• 1/2 cup Life Cereal
  • 1/2 cup Cinnamon Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Uncle Same Strawberry
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Peach

Maddie thought it was pretty exciting. ๐Ÿ™‚

One week from today I’ll be heading to Philly for the Healthy Living Summit!!!! Yippee!!!!!

1 Hope August 11, 2011 at 10:15 am

Breakfast looks yummy! I’m loving peaches right now! ๐Ÿ™‚

Yay for coming to Philly!!

2 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

Woooo the countdown is on!! And you’re rocking out that swimming, tough but AWESOME!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Surprise Samurai Ale Review!

3 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

HAHA Maddy close up ๐Ÿ˜‰
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Cough Drops = Candy

4 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 11, 2011 at 10:19 am

Maddie*
It wont happen again, Maddie
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Cough Drops = Candy

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 11, 2011 at 10:23 am

I’m half way through stage 2 of NROLFW and feel the same way. What have you been doing for the “interval training” part of 2B? I’ve mainly been sticking to the treadmill since it’s right there next to my weights but, I’m thinking I may try some bike intervals today to change it up.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..15 miles & a stir fry

6 Michelle Levesque August 11, 2011 at 10:24 am

I just finished NRLW Stage 2 last week, and I have to warn you — 3A is a *killer*. Nothing else we’ve done so far has been this brutal. The body weight matrix is a lactic acid beast.

Fortunately, 3B is a whole lot easier. But be prepared to be extra-sore the day after 3A. Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Kate August 11, 2011 at 10:27 am

Nice work! That’s a serious improvement for a month’s worth of work! Who defined “speedy” for you? I think the confidence part is what’s important here.

And I love that shot of Maddie. Looks like every other shot I get of my dog.
Kate recently posted..Getting Healthy

8 TanyaS August 11, 2011 at 10:50 am

I love puppy dog noses, it usually leads to puppy dog kisses!

9 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 11, 2011 at 11:18 am

Boring or not, the breakfast looks gorgeous and delish!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Prom Dress Flashbacks

10 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl August 11, 2011 at 11:24 am

So excited for HLS! See ya there!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Squatting in Stilettos

11 Hillary August 11, 2011 at 11:55 am

I need to get myself a copy of NRLW ASAP. Can’t wait to hear your review of PT 2!
Hillary recently posted..Vacation Observations Part Tres

12 Cait's Plate August 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm

GAH! I just love that Maddie – she’s too cute!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Touch of Sun

13 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

That is a great improvement!! Wayyy faster than I am in the water, that’s for sure!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Challenge yourself. (RCM training: speed work)

14 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) August 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Mmm, a fresh, summery peach is on my lunch menu. ๐Ÿ™‚
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Stressball

15 Alaina August 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Great job on the swimming!! Seeing improvement is always great. ๐Ÿ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Boat Cruise

16 Cindy August 11, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Hey Meghann! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and I just wanted to say “HI!” and ask you a quick question!

I noticed that you don’t use milk with your cereal bowls, but always yogurt, is there a reason for this? Do you not like milk? Is it better with yogurt? No judgement! I’m just honestly curious because if it’s better with yogurt, then I need to hop on that boat! I’ve never tried it! ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Meghann August 11, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Hey Cindy! The truth is – I don’t like milk. It’s the milky consistency I’m not a fan of. I also don’t like to drink soy milk, almond milk, or coconut water straight either. I only started adding yogurt to my cereal a couple of years ago and love it. Before that I used to eat cereal with applesauce and before that I would just eat it dry with a spoon. ๐Ÿ™‚

18 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 11, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Congratulations on the swimming improvements! I can’t wait for HLS!!!

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 11, 2011 at 1:26 pm

How cool, it is in 1 week! Rock on.

Love the cereal bowl ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Take It Off ? + Thankful Thursday

20 Shannon @ Mon Amour August 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Awesome job in the pool! You are getting faster and you will rock the swim portion of that HIM!
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Home Again

21 Christina August 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Wow, congrats on the swimming improvement – that’s a big difference for a month! Out of curiousity – what do you consider speedy?

22 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I am so impressed with your swimming. I can barely do one breast stroke and mostly doggy paddle or float whenever I am in the water.
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Giveaway

23 Ali @ Ali Runs August 11, 2011 at 4:15 pm

It is the best feeling to literally see yourself getting faster! Congrats on picking up speed. I am in a similar position with running, I took some time off and ended up losing my speed, but after a month of consistent running I can finally see it coming back. It’s such a great feeling. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Cherry Hill Loop

24 Morgan @ Endorphaholic August 11, 2011 at 5:15 pm

That’s some awesome improvement! I love swimming cause I feel like you improve so quickly in the water.
Morgan @ Endorphaholic recently posted..I Ran Too Much

25 C August 14, 2011 at 10:32 am

I’m soooo excited for HLS!!!!! Its right in my backyard. Can’t wait to meet you. ๐Ÿ™‚
C recently posted..Healthy Living Summit