Golf Date

by Meghann on August 10, 2011

Remember a few weeks ago when I was looking for Date Night ideas?

Well, tonight, Derek and I finally got to put one to the test.

Hello, Mr. Driving Range. It’s nice to meet you. πŸ™‚

After Derek got off of work this evening, he dusted off his golf clubs and we headed to a nearby driving range to hit some golf balls. Before tonight I’ve probably hit a total of 5 golf balls in my lifetime. I have no idea how to hold a golf club properly (or which club is which) and my form is hysterical, but it was something new and I’m always up to try something new – especially when it’s something Derek loves.

Extra bonus points for lucking out with ‘Women Wednesday.’

All day BOGO bags of balls for women! (umm.. that’s what she said?)

Derek was on the golf team in high school. In my mind, he’s a semi-pro.

Go, Baby, Go!

He tried to teach me a thing or two about hitting the ball properly, but I’m an awful student and failed miserably at hitting the ball straight or more than 5 feet in front of me. Good thing I didn’t care – to me just hitting the ball was win!

Derek whipped through his bag of balls twice as fast as I did and sat very patiently as I hit more green than ball.

It was nice to spend a couple of hours together away from phones, tvs, computers, and all other forms of technology. We had a great conversation about our high school days and spent the majority of the time comparing my small high school to his large high school in terms of sports, cliques, and where we fit in. I wonder if we would have been friends back then? I think he was cooler than me, but it would be fun to go back in time and see. πŸ™‚

Backing up to earlier in the day…

Courtney and I had planned to use my Living Social Deal for The Bricks after our 50 miles bike ride this morning. When the ride was rained out – and we were back in Tampa early – we decided to meet there for lunch and use it anyways. πŸ™‚

I love The Bricks! They have a casual, laid back vibe that comes complete with cute decor, a friendly staff, and a great menu with so many delicious options, I always have a hard time choosing what I want.

Courtney couldn’t decide what she wanted either, so we started to share a couple of our favorites.

The first was the Guajillo Pork Special with veggies and jalapeno cornbread muffin.

I thought this was going to be spicy, but it surprisingly wasn’t. Instead it had lots of great, sweet flavors that highlighted the tenderness of the pork and the cake-like texture of the corn muffin. It reminded me of a combination I would have pieced together at home with the addition of the feta cheese and corn relish. πŸ™‚

We also split the Goodness Sandwich.

I know – completely random to mix the pork special with the hippie, veggie sandwich, but it was what we both wanted. The cool, crisp vegetables were actually a nice juxtaposition to the hot, meaty pork.

I cleaned both my plates. πŸ™‚

A glass of iced tea to wash everything down with.

The Living Social deal was good for $25 worth of food and drink. The pork and vegetable sandwich left us a few dollars short. What else can two girls do, but order the homemade ice cream cake for dessert? πŸ˜‰

It tasted good, but was hard as a brick! Maybe that’s where The Brick gets it’s name?! πŸ˜‰ The server did warn us, but we were too impatient to wait before digging in.

Worth it.

Dinner tonight came courtesy of the Foodbuzz Tastemakers Program.

Birds Eye will be releasing a new line of Steamfresh Chef’s Favorites in the fall and wanted to give a few bloggers a sneak peek before they’re available nationwide in the next month.

I heated up the ‘Lightly Sauced Primavara Vegetable Risotto’ then emptied the whole package in some tupperware and added half a can of chickpeas for a quick dinner tonight.

I chowed down on the way to the driving range.

It needed salt – and possibly some other seasoning – but it was great for a quick meal in a pinch. I give it a solid B for flavor and texture.

When we returned from hitting out balls (hehe) I made a weird dessert of bacon (Derek was cooking some up and I couldn’t resist), a peach, and a piece of chocolate covered peanut butter brittle.

Told you it was weird. πŸ™‚

Good Night!

1 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 10, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Wow.. the Goodness Sandwich looks like it lives up to its name! Yum!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Prom Dress Flashbacks

2 Sana August 10, 2011 at 9:36 pm

You should play putt putt! It’s so much fun!
Sana recently posted..Food I don’t have to pay for.

3 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 10, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I got those packages from Foodbuzz today too! The potato one caught my eye- I think that will be my dinner πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Marathon Weight Gain

4 Meghan August 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Note the college ID tuesday πŸ˜‰ Lunch looks amazing! You would probably like chocolate covered bacon, it’s strangely addicting..
Meghan recently posted..Weekly Run Down: 7/31/11

5 Sweet and Savvy August 10, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Looks like so much fun! My boyfriend is a big golfer too, and after almost 3 years of dating he finally got me out to golf even though I’d never played before. I actually had a lot of fun, and took a lesson yesterday!

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 10, 2011 at 9:55 pm

That Brick looks TOTALLY worth it πŸ˜€
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Blogging for the Right Reasons

7 Army Amy* August 10, 2011 at 9:56 pm

My man isn’t into golf, but he did try to get me to play tennis with him a few times. It didn’t take.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Walk this way

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Oddly enough, that peach + bacon looks really good! Salty + sweet, can’t go wrong πŸ˜‰
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sweet & spicy broccoli rabe

9 Jessica @ The Process of Healing August 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm

There is NEVER a wrong time for bacon πŸ™‚ and you kinda have me majorly craving ice cream cake… gee, thanks πŸ˜‰
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Checking In

10 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories August 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Glad you finally got to go golfing! πŸ™‚

11 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I got those Birds Eye goodies in the mail from Foodbuzz today also! Haven’t tried them yet – but I’m looking forward to it!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Healthy Potato Salad

12 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 10, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Never tried the driving range, but I am a big fan of miniture golfing. My hubby and I always have fun with that as we both a little type A πŸ™‚
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Giveaway

13 grace b August 10, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Stupid question–are you not a vegetarian anymore?

Although now I’m not even sure you were in the first place! Lol. OCD blog reader hereeee. πŸ™‚

That veggie sandwich looks amazing!

14 Alaina August 10, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I used to date someone back in college who was huge into golf. He tried to teach me but I was horrible at hitting the balls too. I’ll stick with mini-golf. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Boat Cruise

15 Christine @ BookishlyB August 11, 2011 at 1:27 am

I’ve always been a little obsessed about going to two-story driving range. I have no idea why, or where there is one, but it seems like hitting balls from up in the air would be a good time. It’s the simple things!

16 Sophie August 11, 2011 at 3:08 am

Awww looks like you enjoyed date night! I totally suck at hitting a ball too, but love crazy golf!
Sophie recently posted..Life Is Busy.

17 Lindsay@CookVeganLover August 11, 2011 at 5:17 am

My husband and I just hit up the driving range for a date night a few weeks ago. For some reason I put it on my 25 goals in my 25th year and I still needed to cross it off so we went and had an amazing time even though we both sucked.
Lindsay@CookVeganLover recently posted..5 Things: Food, Fitness & Fashion Blogs

18 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 11, 2011 at 5:23 am

Hahaha…that is a weird dessert πŸ˜› Sounds yum though! I love hitting up the driving range (pun not intended, lol!) with my boyfriend…it’s so much fun, and such a giggle! πŸ˜› We even had a golf lesson together recently and I was so nervous I was sweating so much (tmi, sorry!) but it’s quite nervewracking having someone assess how crap you are at golf, lol! πŸ˜› And hitting more green that ball in front of someone other than your boyfriend is also embarrassing, lol! πŸ˜€ So nmuch fun though. And a great way to spend an evening together. As is dinner, which looked divine!
I’ve often wondered if the Kiwi and I would have been friends/together when we were in high school/ university, adn I think not! He was a bad boy and I was a good girls…different crowds, lol! πŸ˜‰ That is why I’m so glad we met now…we have come into our own and fit together! <3 xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..wiaw: the carbs and chocolate edition

19 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 11, 2011 at 6:49 am

My boyfriend would have been way cooler than me in high school too. Looks like a fun date night!

20 Lauren August 11, 2011 at 6:58 am

Haha, I love that Derek decides to cook bacon for a midnight snack. Such a dude! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Vacation Prep

21 allpointswhole August 11, 2011 at 7:42 am

Good times and yummy food!

22 Ali @ Ali Runs August 11, 2011 at 8:25 am

My boyfriend is a big golfer!! After two years of dating, I have only gone once. I get so frustrated because it is so hard (competitive much??). πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon Training: 8 Miles

23 Hope August 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

What a fun date night! My fiance wants to go to the driving range and I never want to go. It looks like fun so maybe I should give in this time. πŸ˜‰

Glad to see you liked the Bird’s Eye risotto! I tried the creamed spinach and I thought it was pretty good too!
Hope recently posted..Side Dish…

24 Emily August 11, 2011 at 8:56 am

I think of my fiance in the same way – semi-pro. He also played in high school and is VERY good at golf. I am learning, slowly, mostly at the range as well. It gets easier. Now that I can hit the ball most of the time, it’s a win when it goes up in the air!

25 Cait's Plate August 11, 2011 at 8:59 am

Golfing is seriously so fun. I used to mini golf all the time but have gotten away from it – I really need to change that.

And holy cow – that whole meal looks INCREDIBLE! Though I think I’m partial to the Guajillo Pork Special with veggies and jalapeno cornbread muffin as well as The Brick.

26 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 11, 2011 at 9:05 am

Sometimes, for me, bacon is worth cooking up just for a ‘dessert’ (or a breakfast dessert, if we have one rogue slice left…. who am I to say no?)

While I can’t stand golf in any way shape form, that date DOES sound a little fun (though the hatred inside of me still burns). Too many bad putt putt outings for me to change feelings quite yet.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Surprise Samurai Ale Review!

27 Hillary August 11, 2011 at 9:12 am

I LOVE that you wore plaid shorts to the range…and that Derek wore his M&M shirt! Adorable.
Hillary recently posted..Vacation Observations Part Tres

28 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 11, 2011 at 9:26 am

Looks like a really fun time! Glad you both got away from technology for awhile.