Playing with my Food

by Meghann on August 9, 2011

I had a little fun with playing my food today.

I figured there’s really only so much you can do with sweet potato fries and baked tempeh ‘fingers,’ so I might as well have fun with it. πŸ˜‰

Pretty, right?

A layer of bbq sauce, a swirl of sweet potato fries, some ketchup, baked tempeh ‘fingers,’ and a pickle.

I was going to have a baked sweet potato, but I saw the tempeh in the fridge and figured sweet potato fries would work better with tempeh. If I had the time I would have crumbled the tempeh and made a sloppy joe topping for the fries, but I’m lazy. The tempeh ‘fingers’ with ketchup did the trick just fine.

Look what I found on Groupon today!!

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 2.18.21 PM.png

A Trapeze Class?! In Tampa?! I am so there!!!

Anyone in Tampa want to join me?

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Trapeze is an AWESOME workout! I have a few friends who did it at a summer camp they went off too and they all came back with crazy abs haha πŸ˜‰
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Vegan Wheat-free French Toast

2 Allison August 9, 2011 at 3:24 pm

What is tempeh? I’ve seen you use it in various forms but is it soy? What’s it taste like or is it kinda like tofu meaning it absorbs flavors?

P.S. I love slicing my sweet potato fries into circular discs rather than fries- they remind me of guiltless potato chips! Which, I don’t know if you’ve seen but TJ’s (Trader Joe’s) just made a sweet potato chip- I haven’t tried them, but I’m planning on it!
Allison recently posted..Mixed & Matched

3 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 4:18 pm

It’s fermented soybeans. πŸ™‚ I like it because it crumbles and it’s a little tougher of a texture than tofu. It’s pretty flavorless on it’s own (like tofu), but if you let it sit in a marinade for a few hours it will taste like what ever you want it to.

4 Allison August 9, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Hm, I’m intrigued to try!
Allison recently posted..Mixed & Matched

5 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 9, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Meghann, I will FLY to Tampa if it means I get to trapeze.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Vacation Workout Tips

6 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Come on down!

7 Mari August 9, 2011 at 3:26 pm

“I was going to have a baked sweet potato, but I saw the tempeh in the fridge and figured sweet potato fries would work better with.”
With what? WITH WHAT??? I GOTTA KNOW!!!

8 Corey @ Learning Patience August 9, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I too have heard really amazing things about Trapeze – cant wait to hear all about it….did u buy one? xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Super Tuesday – My 1st Guest Blog

9 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Yes, I bought it! Now, I just have to find a free Saturday to use it!

10 Ali @ Ali Runs August 9, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Trapeze looks like so much fun!! I need to find a class near me! Also, love your fun-looking food. πŸ˜‰
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon Training Plan

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 9, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I went to have tempeh with a sweet potato for lunch today too until I realized my tempeh was full of mold πŸ™ Someone left the open package in the fridge too long!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Mango lassi

12 Cait's Plate August 9, 2011 at 3:40 pm

GAH! What?! I’m SO jealous! I want to do a trapeze class! First a cool yoga class, now this! You are so winning in the fun fitness department πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..No Two Ways About It

13 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I get so bored doing the same old thing – it’s fun to mix it up and try something new!

14 Laura August 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I loved the trapeze class I took! Get ready for the sore!
Laura recently posted..Not changing, but creating

15 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Yay! That’s how you know it was a good class!

16 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 9, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Trapeze would be a blast! Do it girl… Id totally if they had one near me. Food should be fun πŸ™‚
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Blackberry Oat Smoothie

17 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I bought tempeh once and not knowing what to do with it I tried to stir fry it with veggies and brown rice. The combination was to mushy for my taste, but I like the fingers idea. How do you make those?

18 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I just cut it into finger shapes and bake it for five minutes on each side at 420 degrees. I just did a simpel seasoning of salt and pepper, but that’s only because I actually prefer the taste of plain tempeh (i’m weird like that)

19 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 9, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Looks delicious except for the pickle πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Pizza Crust!

20 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 9, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I would love to take a trapeze class it looks like so much fun!
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..Vita Coco Review

21 amanda August 9, 2011 at 4:46 pm

The picture looks gross. Sorry, but it does not look appetizing. The pickle puts it over the top.

22 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Ohh, a trapeze class. I would be so there in a shot if I lived near you πŸ™‚

Lol, I loved how creative you got with your lunch – very funny.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Insalata Caprese

23 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 9, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Ahahahaha I love it. I am so playing with mahh food tonight!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..#Fitblog + Power Drills.

24 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 9, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I LOVE tempeh! I just tried it and it was delish. YUMM.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..A Salad A Day

25 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Ahhh that’d be so much fun!!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Legs are moving but standing still.

26 Emilee August 9, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I want to go!!! I’ve always dreamed of joining Cirque du Solie.l
Emilee recently posted..Clean Eating Tilapia and Homemade Pasta Sauce

27 Lauren August 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I am going to feed my kids this exact meal someday. πŸ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Observations

28 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm

If I still living in Sarasota, I’d be there in a heartbeat with ya!!

And I love that you enjoy pickles as much as I do! πŸ˜›
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The Big Day.

29 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 9, 2011 at 8:26 pm

If I *was” still living in Sarasota. I can’t seem to type tonight! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The Big Day.

30 Carissa August 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm

is it okay the tempeh scares me? Like I made a face looking at the pics…..I am not so soy friendly I guess. How does it taste?

31 Dina August 10, 2011 at 6:33 am

I’m with you on the soy. When you have a thyroid condition, like I do, they say to avoid it.
Dina recently posted..How to Scare the Crap Out of Your Husband

32 Summer August 9, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Trapeze is the BEST! I actually got an insane core workout from it. See if they have the outdoor high flying trapeze, it’s the biggest adrenaline rush EVER

33 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees August 9, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Mm love tempeh! Fingers – haha, I like it.
Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees recently posted..Summer Vegetables

34 Dina August 10, 2011 at 6:32 am

That class looks awesome and I’d totally go with you. I am really trying to make myself branch out more and try new things.
Dina recently posted..How to Scare the Crap Out of Your Husband

35 Meghann August 10, 2011 at 10:46 am

The classes are on Saturday! You should make a day out of it!

36 Katy @ RunKatyRun August 10, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I live in Tampa and I would LOVE to join you for the trapeze class-unfortunately I’m a little scared because I may or may not be within 10 pounds of the weight limit =o(
Katy @ RunKatyRun recently posted..The Muscle Debate