more ยป" />

Pineapple Chicken

by Meghann on August 9, 2011

The rain from this morning turned into heavy thunderstorms this afternoon.

Maddie was not a fan.

She curled up in a little ball on my lap and would not leave. Poor thing. The girl will bark at perfect strangers without a problem, but a little crackle of thunder and she turns into putty.

She napped on my lap the majority of the afternoon.

Minus the time I got up for a snack from the kitchen.

A snack of ricotta cheese, chocolate chips, strawberries, and chocolate granola to be exact.

Yum. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a can of pineapple and a package of chicken breasts staring me down for dinner. What to make? What to make?

I found inspiration in this recipe for Aloha Chicken, but decided to do my own thing.

Instead of adding brown sugar straight to the sauce, I coated the chicken breast with a brown sugar rub that (I think) was a swag bag freebie from the Foodbuzz Festival last year.

The chicken went in the pan with some red onion.

Then came the pineapple

And, finally, some soy sauce, fresh garlic, salt and pepper, broccoli, corn starch, and green onion.

I let all the flavors mend together and cook down while I prepared the brown rice on the side. Once everything I was done I piled my bowl high with some rice, chicken, and a sprinkle of raisins.

Meh. It was a little bland. The seasoning wasn’t right – definitely missing something there – and the sauce was still thing – I didn’t let it reduce enough.

Dessert, however, was great!

1/2 an Ikea Cinnamon Bun with a serving of Key Lime Pie Frozen Yogurt.

Big News!

My little sister got a job!

Starting August 22nd, multiple classrooms full of high schoolers will come know her as Ms. Anderson! That’s right – Kelly accepted a position as a history teacher at a local high school! Go Kelly! See, that master’s degree did come in handy after all. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Other Big News

I’m heading out early tomorrow morning for my first 50 mile bike ride!!! Wish me luck!

1 Molly August 9, 2011 at 9:05 pm

ah looks yummy ๐Ÿ™‚ makes me want to make an aloha chicken sandwich ๐Ÿ™‚
Molly recently posted..Youโ€™ll be the manโ€ฆ

2 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs August 9, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Good luck on 50 miles tomorrow!
Why did you add the corn starch to your meal?
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..Getting Healthy: The Why

3 Army Amy* August 9, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Good luck on your ride!*
Army Amy* recently posted..How are the kiddies?

4 Stephanie Clement August 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm

GOOD LUCK!!

5 Cait's Plate August 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I saw that on twitter! That she got a job! That’s SO exciting! She’s going to be such an amazing teacher, I’m sure of it ๐Ÿ™‚

Also? That pineapple chicken looks incredible. I love the things you’re able to create out of a few ingredients!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Let Him Have It

6 Mary August 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm

good luck on your ride!! Glad you figured out what to do with the chicken. You should get some jerk seasoning and make jerk chicken sometime. You will NOT be sorry ๐Ÿ˜€
Mary recently posted..Why I love my Road ID (and why you should get one!)

7 Carey @ Positively Blonde August 9, 2011 at 9:20 pm

My puppy sits on my lap everyday at work- so cute!
Carey @ Positively Blonde recently posted..Cookie Dough Balls

8 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 9, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Whoah, girl, 50 mile ride! That’s like… a very long trip for me to take in a car! Rock it out, Meghannnnnnnnnn!

In other news, while I love pineapple when it’s grilled, I imagined this wouldn’t be as tasty just because of the thinness. I’m sure if you tried again, you’d get it right. This one time, though, I covered some pineapple in brown sugar and grilled it on the grill. And it. was. divine.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..The Wrong Side of the Bed

9 Mary August 9, 2011 at 9:53 pm

You’ll rock out that 50 miler! And your poor puppy:( – good thing you were there to cuddle!

10 mi-an d. August 9, 2011 at 10:02 pm

i would have sauteed garlic then onion and garlic first…then the pineapple, then chicken, added some soy sauce and pineapple juice. taken the chicken out since they cook fast, then let it simmer and reduce downn…add chicken back…stir around. and serve! ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Roseanne August 9, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Wow! Good luck on your bike ride! I wish I could go that far, but I can barely make it a few miles. haha! Your puppy is so adorable!!
Roseanne recently posted..Prepare, refrigerate, and enjoy within 24 hours!

12 Hillary August 9, 2011 at 10:16 pm

IKEA cinnamon buns are my JAM. You just reminded me that I haven’t had one in years. Must get on that.
Hillary recently posted..Home

13 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 9, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I’ve only had ricotta in pasta, but never as a base in a snack. I’ll have to try that!

14 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 9, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Good luck on 50 miles! It’s crazy to think how far that is in a car let alone a bike!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Mango lassi

15 Gia @ rungiarun August 9, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Key Lime Pie Frozen yogurt!! Where did you find that? Sounds amazing…

16 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 9, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Your food always looks so good!

You’ll do great on your 50 mile bike ride!!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Chipwich for the Win

17 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees August 9, 2011 at 11:18 pm

That dessert DOES look great. Good luck on the long ride!

18 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers August 9, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Our big doberman used to freak out if even one little raindrop got on him. It was kinda funny. Congrats to your sister! That’s so exciting!
Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers recently posted..Apparently I Look Likeโ€ฆ.

19 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 10, 2011 at 12:40 am

Congrats to Kelly! I would love to be a history teacher ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Marathon Weight Gain

20 Jamie@everydaydolce August 10, 2011 at 2:37 am

Good luck on your ride tomorrow, it’s inspiring to see you so motivated to get in great workouts for your training!
Jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..Overpowering Monday

21 Khushboo August 10, 2011 at 3:24 am

Congrats to Kelly, that was fast- she deserves it!
Khushboo recently posted..Finding โ€˜The Oneโ€™

22 Ron August 10, 2011 at 4:13 am

Yummy! I really wanted to taste your own pineapple chicken recipe. I will try do do this on my own way and get some rice and will eat and eat and eat. I get hungry when talking about food. lol
Ron recently posted..How to Lose Chest Fat for Men

23 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 10, 2011 at 5:13 am

Congratulations to Kelly!

I’ve never been a fan of pineapple for some reason! I just cant learn to enjoy the bold flavor ๐Ÿ™
I know, I know, I’m a little crazy sometimes
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Sick Tuesday

24 Lauren August 10, 2011 at 7:08 am

It looks pretty though! Good luck on your ride tomorrow.
Lauren recently posted..Winner Winner Waffle Dinner!

25 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) August 10, 2011 at 7:08 am

That chicken sounds really yummy! I never thought to combine chicken and fruit (esp pineapple), but that sounds so summer-y actually. I can’t get behind the whole adding raisins thing though.. I only like them in cinnamon raisin bread.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..An iPhone view of New York

26 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 10, 2011 at 7:47 am

For your dinner just being “meh” it looked pretty darn good. I love pineapple, especially in the summer and your recipe reminded me of a much better version of asian take out. Hope you have an awesome day…good luck with the bike ride ๐Ÿ™‚
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..Savings Savvyโ€ฆOr At Least Trying To Be

27 Hope August 10, 2011 at 8:16 am

That pineapple chicken looks great even though it might not have tasted as good! It sure looked good! ๐Ÿ™‚ Congrats to your sister! So exciting! Good luck on the bike ride!
Hope recently posted..BBQ Chicken Garbage Breadโ€ฆ

28 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 10, 2011 at 8:36 am

I am impressed you can only have 1/2 a cinnamon bun. I’d have three in one sitting, so I never buy them for home and I hold my breath whenever I walk by Cinnabon. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Say No to Bread on Drugs!

29 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free August 10, 2011 at 8:44 am

haha…it looks like Maddie is saying, “Ma, make it stop! Make it stop!”

And I know what you are saying-the thunderstorms are horrible. (I’m in Tampa, too). It’s been raining non-stop now for two days! Very unlike Florida. I feel like it has been a dry summer, though, so maybe we need it.

And good luck on your bikeride-hopefully it stops raining!
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..Do I Have A Treat For Youโ€ฆ

30 Ali @ Ali Runs August 10, 2011 at 9:10 am

Woo hoo! Good luck on your first 50 mile bike ride and PDR!! You got this, girl!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon Training: 8 Miles

31 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 10, 2011 at 9:19 am

50 miles! Rock it out girl!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Spinning and Pasta

32 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes August 10, 2011 at 9:32 am

Good Luck on your ride and Yay Ms. Anderson!!!!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 7

33 Orla August 10, 2011 at 9:33 am

the change in pressure in the air when there is thunder can affect dogs pretty badly hence the reason that a lot of them dislike it terribly.Probably why Maddie freaks out at it.
My two pups hate it and tend to stick to me when there is thunder – which is rare enough thankfully because I have been known to hide under my kitchen table when there is thunder and lightening. Hate the stuff.
Orla recently posted..The Beetroot Chronicles โ€“ Continued

34 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 10, 2011 at 9:34 am

yeeaaaahhh for Kelly! and that ricotta cheese bowl is rocking my world.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..A Word of Advice.

35 Biz August 10, 2011 at 10:10 am

Congrats to Kelly! That’s so exciting! Good luck on your bike ride ๐Ÿ˜€
Biz recently posted..Banana and Granola Pancakes

36 Reenie August 10, 2011 at 10:47 am

I know this sounds really weird….but it works for my friend’s dog during storms. Put one of your t-shirts on Maddy. I guess it makes them feel safe and comforts them. Give it a try ๐Ÿ™‚