Shrimp and Grits

by Meghann on August 7, 2011

Today was everything a Sunday should be. Quiet, peaceful, and just plain lazy. Love it. πŸ™‚

We left Orlando just before noon and I had the pleasure of falling asleep before Disney and awaking two hours later, just 2 miles from our exit on 275. (I owe Derek. Big)

My hunger had kicked in at this point, so I made a random snack plate of what we had in the fridge for lunch.

Carrot sticks and pretzel pieces with peanut butter

And a Lemon Chobani with a fresh peach and Uncle Sam’s Strawberry Cereal.

A simple lunch that worked well in this heat.

I followed lunch with two hours of lazy tv watching (Cyberbully on ABC Family had me in tears), laundry, and a quick Publix run.

Afternoon snack

A post-grocery haul smoothie made of chocolate protein powder, vanilla soy milk, ice, and frozen cherries.

Derek and I invited his parents over for dinner tonight. Cooking for guests is always the kick in the butt i need to make a real dinner and not just throw together random items at the last minute and call it a meal. πŸ˜‰

Problem was – what to cook?

A quick twitter call out and I had plenty of ideas. Cat had a particularly interesting one – Shrimp and Grits. I’d never made Shrimp and Grits before, but it sounded like something just different enough to impress and taste great. Sounds good to me!

Per Cat’s suggestion, I followed Martha Stewart’s ‘Easy Shrimp and Grits’ Recipe. Only I made a few changes. I cooked the shrimp in the bacon fat and crumbled the bacon right into the shrimp. It was quick, easy and delicious.

Derek’s mom provided the wine.

We served the shrimp and grits with a side of sauteed kale, the combo worked well as the ultimate southern dish. πŸ™‚

Martha Stewart never steers me wrong – this meal was fabulous. The shrimp were great, but my favorite part was the cheesy grits – they were so easy to make, not sure why I’ve never made homemade grits before?!? πŸ™‚

We brought out the Keylime Ice Cream for dessert.

Maddie couldn’t stand not being the center of attention. πŸ™‚

Derek’s parents are heading to Italy at the end of next month, so I had fun showing them my scrapbook from when I went to Italy way back in 2005 and going over all of the ‘must sees’ while they’re over there. They’re spending 20 days (!!) exploring Italy and I can’t even begin to describe how jealous I am. I wonder if I can squeeze into one of their suit cases when no one is looking. πŸ˜‰

I had the pleasure of touring Italy with my family the summer my sister graduated from high school (can’t believe she just graduated with her masters – was 2005 really that long ago?!). We spent two weeks on a tour bus and loved every minute of it. We saw a lot, but it still doesn’t feel like we saw enough!

100_1788.JPG

100_1932.JPG

100_2014.JPG

100_2027.JPG

100_2117.JPG

100_2182.JPG

100_2193.JPG

100_2329.JPG

One day I’ll go back. One day…

1 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Now that is a meal my boyfriend would LOVE! I really should try that sometime, looks amazing, Meghann! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..The Day from Blog Hell

2 Molly August 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm

YUM! shrimp and grits! Looks good!
Molly recently posted..A Vegetarian meal that made the meat-eaters happy!

3 Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs August 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm

That meal looks amazing! I am going to have to try it soon πŸ™‚ My husband loves polenta and grits!
Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs recently posted..Workout Roundup 8/7

4 Army Amy* August 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I thought I was the only person who watched Cyberbully! I thought it was pretty good. The lead actress looks like a young Carried Underwood.

I love the pictures of y’all in Italy. Everyone looks so young! Especially Ben. I think it’s the hair.*
Army Amy* recently posted..I wish I knew how to quit you

5 Meghann August 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Do you know who she is? She’s the sister of the kid from Sixth Sense!

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I went to Italy in middle school, but don’t remember a thing about it πŸ™ I always say that one day I need to go back as well!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Salmon, please?

7 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Mmmmm Italia AND shrimp and grits, what a tasty post!!

(though the zillions of pigeons in Venice were less than delicious. Molto male!)
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday: Stuffed to the Brim

8 Sarah @TheExPatBride August 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Your pics make me want to go to Italy soooo bad!

oh and p.s. Go Noles! πŸ™‚
Sarah @TheExPatBride recently posted..Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

9 Amy August 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I watched Cyberbully also! Pretty good movie for ABC fam…great for teenagers going through online drama and bullying!!
Mmmm shrimp and grits sounds awesome!!

10 Meghann August 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I thought so too! I broke down in tears when they found her in the bathroom, my heart ached for her.

11 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 7, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Glad you liked it! That’s how I cook the shrimp too. It’s so good that way. I also add a crap ton of franks red hot!!! Also, love the “butt shot” of all your arses lined up. Hilars.

12 Meghann August 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Good idea on the hot sauce – sounds like something Derek would do πŸ™‚

13 Chloe (In Fine Feather) August 7, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Oh yum! I’ve just discovered grits & find them to be delicious! I’ll definitely be eating lots of them when I head down to Atlanta πŸ™‚
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..Sushi Is My Friend

14 michelle August 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I’m moving to Germany in less than one month (!) for 3 years and Italy is one of the countries that I can’t wait to visit.
michelle recently posted..Blue Angels

15 Courtney Smith August 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I LOVE Italy! When my brother was in the Navy he was stationed in Sicily for 3 years. My family took advantage of his new location and we toured many parts of the country (Sicily, Florence, Rome, Venice). Venice was my favorite and we fed the pigeons, too! So much fun.
Courtney Smith recently posted..Running at 6,062 feet

16 Ashley @ The Fit Academic August 7, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Wow – never heard of shrimp and grits before! I’m from the south so I feel a little ashamed! Thanks for sharing the recipe link!

17 Zenaida August 7, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I can tell you every place your Italy pictures were. My husband and I just got back from a month long trip.

18 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm

That meal looks fabulous! I have both shrimp and grits at home. Dinner tomorrow perhaps…
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pineapple carrot cake muffins

19 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 7, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I’ve never had shrimp and grits but it looks absolutely delicious!!
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Summer Sandwich Series: Hummus and Veggie

20 Nikki @pickynikki August 7, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I lived in Germany for a year and LOVED it in Europe! The culture, the language, the buildings, the FOOD! lol I have always wanted to go to Italy, I’m so jealous! When I was in Germany I did small trips to the neighbouring countries, but not Italy. One day! When my kids are older I guess…
Nikki @pickynikki recently posted..Ripped in 30 … and Ch. Protein Oats

21 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 8, 2011 at 12:32 am

So jealous of Derek’s parents! I went to Rome two years ago to visit a friend that was studying abroad. It was so nice to stay with someone that spoke the language and knew her way around, because I would be so lost otherwise!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Chicago Marathon Training Plan- Week Four

22 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes August 8, 2011 at 1:08 am

So jealous of Dereks parents:)
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Thank You PB Fingers!!!!!

23 Khushboo August 8, 2011 at 2:13 am

That meal looks fantastic! Any chance of you posting the recipe?
Khushboo recently posted..One step ahead of the hangover

24 Meghann August 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm
25 Sana August 8, 2011 at 2:16 am

Bahahah the pigeons were totally there when I went last year!!
Sana recently posted..No Plan Friday

26 Tammy August 8, 2011 at 2:35 am

I saw Cyberbully too! I thought it sent a great message to today’s kids, and as a teenager myself, I could definitely empathize with much of what the main character was going through. There were a few parts that were unrealistic (in all honesty, if someone’s Facebook status said “I’m naughty and someone should spank me,” everyone would think they were hacked by a friend. Her bawling over that was a tad unbelievable but still sad!).

27 Meghann August 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I agree, that part was a bit dramatized, but I thought the overall message was great. I had a similar situation happen to me in 6th grade (before the internet, thank god), but my whole class teamed up against me and I felt so lost – I wasn’t sure what to do. All it takes is one person to hate you and everyone files in behind them. It’s really scary to feel that alone and lost.

28 Amy C. August 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I watched Cyberbully too. Like Meghann, I was bullied in elementary school (2nd – 4th grade; also pre-internet). I remember bawling on my way home from school every day. I live in a small town and that was the smallest of the elementary schools. For some reason, I was the target for those few years and it was awful. It’s a lonely feeling when even your friends start turning. I can’t imagine what it’s like for kids now.

29 Tammy August 9, 2011 at 12:44 am

Sadly I am a teen who’s been bullied, and it really sucks that technology only heightens the spread of gossip and hurtful comments. Though I have moved on from said “friends,” the pain is still in the back of my mind. I hope many kids and adults alike will watch this movie and learn that words can hurt.

30 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 8, 2011 at 6:33 am

Great job on dinner! I’ll have to try that recipe!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Share Our Strength’s Taste of the Nation

31 Lauren August 8, 2011 at 6:57 am

You did great at entertaining. The shrimp looks awesome!
Lauren recently posted..I Came, I Rode, I Conquered

32 Jody August 8, 2011 at 7:31 am

Your dinner looks amazing! I love the Italy pictures—I’m going in 2 months and I love hearing about other people’s trips.

33 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 8, 2011 at 8:03 am

Carrots and nut butter is the best combo! So underrated.
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..Friday Feature: Going Bananas!

34 Anna August 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I hope Derek’s parents have a chance to visit Cinque Terre. I spent 3 weeks traveling around Italy last summer. The 8 mile hike along the coast and the towns was the highlight of it. Very hilly and humid, but amazingly beautiful.

35 Alaina August 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Mm hmm! I’ve never had shrimp ‘n grits before. πŸ™‚ Shrimp and bacon? Sign me up!

I love your Italy pictures. That’s my next trip. πŸ˜‰
Alaina recently posted..It’s the Most Wonderful Time…

36 Ali @ Ali Runs August 9, 2011 at 11:01 am

Oh my gosh, shrimp and grits sounds amazing!! I love all things shrimp. And how fun about Derek’s parents trip– my sister went to Italy a few years ago and cannot wait to go back. Hopefully I’ll be able to join her. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon, Here I Come!