Hot. Hot. Hot.

by Meghann on August 7, 2011

Whoa! It’s hot outside!

Kelly and I planned an easy 9-10 miles for this morning. We’re trying to re-build our mileage in anticipation for both our upcoming Half Ironman and the marathon we’re signed up for the following month (Savannah on November 4th). We knew it was going to be hot, but we were also too lazy to wake up early enough to dodge it. Instead, we set out alarms for just before 7:00 and took our chances.

I had 4 Fig Newtons before our run.

The first mile or so wasn’t bad, but the shade quickly disappeared and it was just us and the sun. We kept chugging along at a (respectable) 10:00min/mile pace and reminisced over training for Chicago Marathon last year. It’s amazing how quickly we forget how hot and awful those runs were too.

We hit 4.5, turned around and headed back. Kelly had a Camelbak filled with gatorade (that she let me sip from) and I made a point to stop at every water fountain we saw between 4.5 miles and her house (there was one every mile – thank goodness).

This was the longest distance I’ve run since the Irongirl Half Marathon in April and I could feel it. My legs weren’t the problem, though – it was my mentality. They’re not kidding when they say running is 90% mental – at 9 miles my mind was done.

I downed a tall glass of ice water when we walked in the door, then sipped a glass of gatorade to recover.

Derek and I are heading back to Tampa later this morning, but we did get to enjoy one last Anthony creation before we left.

He made his world famous omelets with lots of veggies and cheese.

With a plum

And toast with butta

I’m going to miss his cooking. πŸ™‚

Time to pack up and head out!

1 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run August 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

ahhh! Good! You’re doing the full in Savannah. For some reason I wasn’t sure if you were doing the full or the half. When you run past me and I look like I’m going to die and I hate life, just know that is happiness that I am still standing and say hi! πŸ™‚

Good job on keeping that 10:00 pace. My body naturally wants to run at a 9:30 or so and in this heat, I can usually manage an 11:00 or 11:30.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Body Glide is Your Friend

2 Angela @ MyPinkyToes August 7, 2011 at 11:04 am

I had a nice steamy run this morning too! I think it has been the hottest summer ever since I decided to sign up for a marathon!
Angela @ MyPinkyToes recently posted..Three Girls and a Plumber

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 7, 2011 at 11:05 am

I didn’t realize you were both doing the full marathon a month after Augusta…you girls are hard core πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pineapple carrot cake muffins

4 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted August 7, 2011 at 11:06 am

I can hardly manage in the PA heat, can’t imagine running in FL! I”m not a morning person so I try and do my “long” runs at night. I drive to my parents safer neighborhood and run there after dark.
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Wedding Bells

5 Corey @ Learning Patience August 7, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hard Core is right – You’re just plain awesome! πŸ™‚ I slept in this am – which means gotta wait till later till the sun goes down to run now – so i don’t melt! Happy Sunday! xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Saturday – Part 2 – The Bad and Ugly

6 Army Amy* August 7, 2011 at 11:19 am

I’m in awe of the fact that you left so late for your run! If I don’t leave for my runs before the sun comes up, I’m banished to the treadmill!*
Army Amy* recently posted..I wish I knew how to quit you

7 Mary August 7, 2011 at 11:30 am

I remember training for chicago last summer too… those runs WERE awful!

Good job to you guys though for pushing through it! πŸ˜€
Mary recently posted..Running Gadgets I Cannot Live Without

8 michelle August 7, 2011 at 11:40 am

For me, the first 2-3 miles of a long run are the hardest. It’s such a mental game for me to push through
michelle recently posted..Frankfurt Marathon Training: 15 miles

9 Cait's Plate August 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm

That omelet looks world famous. Seriously – between his omelets and your dad’s biscuits and his omelets I would be one happy girl πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Perks

10 kath August 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Nov 4…does that mean you’re not going to Foodbuzz??

11 Meghann August 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Yep, I decided not to go this year. I’ll be heading to SF in late October or November with my family to visit my brother’s girlfriend in residency and two trips in a row seemed a bit excessive. πŸ™

12 Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 7, 2011 at 12:35 pm

That omelet looks so tasty! and every run is ALL mental! I think it takes a lot more mental strength to get through a long run (thank goodness for Ipods though!)
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..Ready to Go!

13 Krystina (Organically Me) August 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I can’t imagine running here. Even walking around lately has me beat – the air is so THICK.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Long Time, No See

14 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Good job on the run in the heat! Orlando is hothothot during the summer πŸ™
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Let’s Talk About Food, Baby

15 carissa August 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Running is so mental! And I love to run but I just can’t mentally make myself go fast! But I want to sooooo bad!

Great job on the run!
carissa recently posted..Be Our Guest!

16 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm

That breakfast looked yummy – I love omelets for breakfast – Especially when someone else makes them)))
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..A restless night and French Lamb Stew

17 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Running in the heat is the worst! I’ve been getting away with leaving later in the mornings, but now that my long runs will be 15+ miles every week, I have to leave early so I don’t die πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Weights and Measures

18 Hilary August 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Hot runs can be killer, for sure…and I don’t even live in Florida!
Hilary recently posted..They’re coming!

19 Kate @PhDBalancingAct August 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm

My sister and I ran 5 miles yesterday morning and it was 85% humidity and felt disgusting. I can’t believe you managed to do 9 in this Florida weather.

I love the idea of fig newtons as a pre-run food. Did you feel like they did the trick on your run? I wonder if they’d work in place of gus — they’d certainly be more delicious than gus.

20 Meghann August 7, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I think they work great as a pre-run snack, I’m not sure about having them during the run – I like gus just because they’re easy to get down while you’re moving.

21 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 7, 2011 at 7:29 pm

He looks like an awesome cook. Your sis is a lucky girl!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Superwoman

22 Ali @ Ali Runs August 9, 2011 at 11:25 am

Running is totally mental!! I can run 8 miles one day with no problems then struggle through 2 miles a few days later. It’s crazy! Congrats on pushing through your run! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon, Here I Come!