Two Laps at Lucky’s Lake

by Meghann on August 6, 2011

The best part about visiting Orlando for the weekend?!?

(Besides spending time with my family, of course. πŸ˜‰ )

Lucky’s Lake! I <3 Lucky’s Lake. πŸ™‚

Kelly and I were up early this morning for the famous open water swim. I had a couple of Fig Newtons for some pre-swim fuel on my way out the door. Fig Newtons are great calorie dense, pre-workout snacks. I need to stock my own pantry with some ASAP.

Lucky’s had a great crowd out this morning. The regular crew was in attendance, the sun was shining bright, and the water was warm, but not hot. It was a great day for a swim.

Kelly and I had decided on the drive over that we were going to attempt two laps this morning. I feel like we always say we want to, but after one lap ( or 1km) we’re usually spent and generally talk ourselves out of round two. Not today, though. Today we made a pack to complete two no matter what.

The first 500m felt like a warm up. I took my time, kept a steady pace and just focused on making it to the other side. I sat and rested, then headed back to the start.

This is the point where the other half of our group said their good-byes (adios Katy, Rachel, and Eric!) and Kelly, Ben, and I were left on our own. We didn’t linger, instead we just turned around and went out for our second lap.

This time around I focused on swimming in a straight line – something I apparently fail at. I would keep my head down – and focus on my stroke – then look up and realize I’m swimming at an angle and heading to no-man’s land. This added on distance and time to my swim. Kelly, on the other hand, kept a perfect straight line. I stayed close to her feet and followed her to practice going straight.

I really started to feel my energy drain on my final 500m. Alternating between a breast stroke and freestyle helped, but I was ready to be done. Walking up on the beach never felt so good. πŸ™‚

Training for Augusta on my own in Tampa has been great, but being able to complete some aspects of training with my siblings (who are also training for Augusta) is even better. We’re going kick some HIM booty in September. πŸ™‚

I wore my new Zoot Tri Suit this morning (to see if it passed the swim test) and loved it.

IMG_0511.jpg

The fabric is very thin and breathed nicely. It wasn’t heavy or bulky in the water at all and almost felt better than my regular swimsuit because I didn’t have to worry about it riding up or pulling it down. Two thumbs up!

After the swim we stopped at Whole Foods for breakfast. I picked up a blueberry cornbread muffin and paired it with some apple slice and nutella.

Swim? Done.

Breakfast? Done.

Shower? umm… I’m getting there.

Happy Saturday everyone!

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 6, 2011 at 11:13 am

Orlando + Whole Foods + Lucky’s Lake? Perfect Saturday to me πŸ™‚
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Khoury’s Mediterranean Restaurant Review

2 Ali @ Ali Runs August 6, 2011 at 11:26 am

It’s so nice that your siblings are training for the same race! My sister and I trained for our first marathon together and it was so motivating.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Running: Cheaper then Therapy Pt. II

3 Fit Chick Britt August 6, 2011 at 11:28 am

So cool you have your siblings to train with! Awesome job on the long swim!

4 Kim@FloraDesign August 6, 2011 at 11:34 am

Ya for 2 laps! Way to stick to the plan!! I know you are super proud. Wish my brother was closer than 2,000 miles to train with me. Keep up the good work! Ps. The tri suit will CHANGE your life!

5 Cait's Plate August 6, 2011 at 11:46 am

Oh my gosh that place looks SO cute! What a nice way to spend a Saturday morning πŸ™‚

Enjoy yourself!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..House of the Rising Sun

6 Megan August 6, 2011 at 11:54 am
7 Nikki August 6, 2011 at 11:59 am

Looks like a great morning workout to me! I wish I had a place like that to swim! I have been a swimmer for what seems like forever, and am always looking for new ways to spice up my swim workouts!
Nikki recently posted..In a Rut

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 6, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Nice job on the 2 laps!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Fun Friday fotos

9 Army Amy* August 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Way to go!*

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 6, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Great job on the swim! And… showering on Saturdays are the least important!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..25 things you don’t know about me

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Interesting about the Fig Newtons! What other types of pre-workout foods do you usually eat? I’m not a fan of Fig Newtons, but I am a fan of eating cookies before a workout!! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Mini Cherry Cheesecakes

12 Alaina August 6, 2011 at 1:20 pm

After all of the glowing reviews for your tri-suit, I think I may have to look at that brand if I start doing tri’s. πŸ™‚

That is so cool that you and your siblings are doing the Tri.
Alaina recently posted..Beehive

13 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 6, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Ah, you look dapper in your zootsuit!!

The family that swims together stays together!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ Festival in Cary

14 Sana August 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm

You have the best training buddies ever!
Sana recently posted..Being an Adult Blows

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Nicely done!! I love long swims, they are so peaceful (At least for me. Hah).

Have a great weekend with the fam!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..What Are Whole Foods ?

16 Melissa August 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I wish we had a Whole Foods close by. Way to go on the swim πŸ™‚

17 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I would love to find a lake open water swim near me. Around here it is mostly ocean or bay swims.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Hanging out with the fam

18 Rae August 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Check out sighting/heads up drills online to practice in the pool…super helpful for OWS and races!
Rae recently posted..The Rocky Relationship with Endurance Training

19 Christine @ BookishlyB August 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Love the Fig Newtons suggestion! Thanks!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on Your Back- Totally Irrelevent

20 allpointswhole August 6, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Love siblings!! Great job!

21 Carolyn August 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Do you spot when you swim OW? This helps you stay straight… Or riding on the heels of another swimming -who you hope is going straight – works too!
Carolyn recently posted..Fresh Thymes

22 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Great job on your swim! That’s so fun that you’re training with your siblings.

23 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees August 6, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Looks like a great swim, and yummy bfast!
Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees recently posted..Brunch at the Tabard Inn

24 Corrie Anne August 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm

SO fun to be training with sibs! And you look cute in your suit! πŸ™‚
Corrie Anne recently posted..Super Productive Saturday

25 Sherri August 6, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Just a word of caution if you don’t already know – the tri suit fabric will disintegrate in a chlorinated pool. My brother made that mistake. Lake swimming though, no problem! I just bought the same type of Zoot suit as you for my first tri spring a few weeks ago, but I have the separate shorts and top set. I love swimming in shorts, not sure who ever invented the bathing suits typically sold for women, but once I put the shorts on, I don’t want to go back.

26 Emily August 7, 2011 at 2:20 am

I think I might have to visit Lucky Lake someday. Look at those boys! Whooo. πŸ™‚

27 Caitlin @ TPL August 7, 2011 at 9:01 am

Glad you had a good time training! Just so you’re aware, fig newtons are actually made with partially hydrogenated oils, if that makes a difference in your selection!
Caitlin @ TPL recently posted..Long Run and a Winner!

28 Amy August 7, 2011 at 9:29 am

You three are going to ROCK that HIM πŸ™‚ I’m definitely going to try on one of those suits-if they are that comfortable it would make a good investment. Well that and they look so darn cool πŸ˜‰