Tampa to Orlando

by Meghann on August 5, 2011

Hellloooooo from I4.

I’ve made the trip from Tampa to Orlando about a bajillion times in the past three years. I could tell you where the speed traps are (Lakeland area), where to expect traffic (the stretches for Disney and Mall of Millenia), which exits have Starbucks (19, 33, 55 & Kissimmee), and which Starbucks are 24 hrs ( 19 & Kissimmee). I’m telling you – I know this route like the back of my hand.

Derek and I are heading to Orlando today because tomorrow my little sister is graduating from UCF with her masters in anthropology. Whoop! Whoop!

DSCN0064.JPG

FLASHBACK – Check out this oldie – but, a goodie – post from when Kelly graduated from FSU in 2009!

They grow up way too fast, don’t they?!

DSCN0128.JPG

*Bonus*

Here’s a post from my little brother’s high school graduation from the same year….

DSCN0537.JPG

And my twin bro’s graduation from Medical School this past May.

What a difference two years can make, right?

Anyways…

We weren’t in too much of a hurry getting out of town today, so we took our time packing up and showering before heading out.

We stopped in Ybor on our way out of town for lunch at Carmine’s.

We were just going to get two sandwiches to go (since we had Maddie), but the owner was super sweet and let us sit outside with her at their window/bar area.

Carmine’s is famous for their Cubans, so that’s exactly what we ordered.

1/2 a Cuban with no mayo for me

A full Cuban for Derek

And a fresh order of amazing hand cut fries to share

Seriously. These fries rocked. I think the ratio was 3 fries Meghann to 1 fry Derek. πŸ˜‰

Want to know how to bribe your man into driving the entire 2 hour trip?

Offer him up your free Starbucks drink coupon for it. Hook. Line. And sinker.

Derek used the coupon for a Venti Coffee Frappuccino (go big or go home?)

Then I forked over my own $$ for a Grande Mocha Light Frappuccino. Gotta start working on earning the stars for my next free drink, right? πŸ˜‰

No Starbucks for Maddie, but she does get the whole backseat to herself.

She can’t wait to play with her cousin Oliver and Sadie tonight! She’s saving up all her energy to play extra hard! πŸ™‚

1 Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It August 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Aww your little family is soo cute! COngrats to Kelly!! Have fun!
Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It recently posted..forgetful friday

2 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I want a frappuchino….. must.find.starbucks.now.
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Our Honeymoon in Essex, Vermont

3 michelle August 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Looking forward to seeing the upcoming post about her graduation.
michelle recently posted..Sometimes x 5

4 Julie @ PBFingers August 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm

that is the cutest picture of maddie in the backseat. such a sweetie pie! πŸ™‚ congrats to kelly on her grad school graduation. exciting!
Julie @ PBFingers recently posted..PBF Bank

5 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count August 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Too cute. More restaurants should let pets in…I hear they do in Paris! Business idea? πŸ˜‰

6 Emily G. August 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm

As much as I love animals, I prefer not to dine with them. If they’re outside – it’s fine; but inside – ew! I would hate for an animal to “take care of business ” while I’m trying to eat.

7 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Maddie is the cutest! Love that last pic πŸ˜€
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..GO for the GOLD.

8 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I LOVE getting Starbucks coupons in the mail πŸ™‚
And I go to UCF!! Except I have one year left before my freedom
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Easy & Healthy Chicken Patty Parmesan

9 Laura August 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Maddie has tummy spots just like my Leland!!! I think they were separated at birth.
Laura recently posted..What I DO know

10 Army Amy* August 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Aww yeay for graduation love from the family! I didn’t get to go to either of my brothers’ graduations because I was working, and they didn’t go to mine because it was too far away. Sad. BTW I love your hair in the picture from Kelly’s undergrad graduation!*
Army Amy* recently posted..They come in the night

11 Lindsey August 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Free Starbucks is the best, I always get Venti’s – if they are free or now, best bang for my buck πŸ˜‰ Or at least that is my excuse! haha
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday!

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Woot! Congrats to Kelly!

I love family get-togethers. THE best! Have fun πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..BodyPUMP Weight Selection

13 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Welcome back! I recalled reading many of Kelly’s tweets during her Masters. Time flies!!

Maddie surely scored the back seat all for herself πŸ˜‰
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Matt Armendariz’s On A Stick Review & Giveaway

14 Tiffany (Stuffed With Fluff) August 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Congrats to your sister!

Your lunch looks amazing. I’m really jealous (and hungry) now.

Also? I love that your backseat looks just like mine – full of tiny little dog fur!

15 Ali @ Ali Runs August 5, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Yay, Kelly!! I’m sure this weekend will be amazing for your whole family! You must be so happy for her πŸ™‚ Safe travels!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Training for August

16 Sana August 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Food is the way to a man’s heart πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..Where do you get your happiness from?

17 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I LOVE Cuban sandwiches!! I love the crispy bread and the pickles … yum! πŸ™‚

18 Hillary August 5, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I’m with Derek—free drink = HUGE drink ; )
Hillary recently posted..Great Minds Eat Alike

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 5, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I might have to try that tactic, my husband NEVER drives. Anywhere!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..The race itch

20 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Congratulation to Kelly!! That’s awesome. And such a fun road trip. Looks like fun!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Yes, you can have dessert for breakfast!

21 Cat August 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm

A particularly adorable Maddie photo! πŸ™‚

22 Lauren August 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I can’t believe Kelly is graduating again. Good for her, she has worked so hard! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Breath Deeply

23 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 5, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Congrats to your sister!

24 Cait's Plate August 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Yay!! Congrats to Kelly!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Exploring

25 Milan August 5, 2011 at 9:40 pm

How did that little food fill you up after a 40 mile bike ride??? Wow. Are you eating enough? Or are you just not that hungry? 40 miles would have burned 4000 calories at least!

26 Meghann August 5, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Actually my ride burned between 1300 and 1550 calories (according to this calculator http://www.bikemetro.com/calculators/calorie.asp ) The plate looks small, but I promise it was enough to fill me up. It was a good balance of protein (2 eggs) and complex carbs (fruit + whole wheat bread). Plus, I had a cuban with french fries for lunch about 3 hours later.

27 Nikki @pickynikki August 6, 2011 at 3:00 am

Glad the link was help to you! πŸ™‚
Nikki @pickynikki recently posted..Power Pizzas

28 Nikki @pickynikki August 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I love all your tidbits about Orlando! We are possibly going to Orlando this winter, and I might have to pick your brain for some ideas at a later date! Have a great time at your Sis’ Graduation! Congrats Kelly!
Nikki @pickynikki recently posted..Kayaking at the lake… I miss it already!

29 Madeline @ Food, Fitness, Family August 5, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Congratulations to your sister! What an accomplishment πŸ™‚

I don’t have to bribe my hubs with driving – he has an issue with not being in control HAHA. We drove 26 hours in 2 days and he did the whole thing himself. He just brings me along for entertainment. LOL.

BUT he could bribe ME with Starbucks if he needed a relief driver πŸ™‚

30 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees August 5, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Those fries look for reals hand-cut — yum!!
Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees recently posted..Celebratory Friday Night

31 Amanda Kellogg August 5, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Maddie is SO cute!!

32 Chuck August 5, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Hey Meghann! I just came across your blog and thought you were from Orlando (hence, “my orlando” at the top) but I am thinking you might be from Tampa? I just moved here to Tampa in June and also do triathlons! Do you train with a group? I’ve been joining some group rides but am always looking for new groups and people to meet since I’m new here.

Your blog is awesome too!

33 Meghann August 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I JUST moved to Tampa in March, before that I was in Orlando. I train with the Tampa Tri Team out of the YMCA. I haven’t done any group rides yet (still working up the courage), but I love running with them.

34 Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 6, 2011 at 1:04 am

Oh Kissimmee…how i don’t miss thee. Only if Meghann’s around. πŸ™‚
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Who Wants to Shop?

35 Sophie August 6, 2011 at 3:14 am

Love your starbucks knowledge! Enjoy graduation!
Sophie recently posted..Thought For Friday!

36 Karolina August 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Congrats to your sister! I actually stood right next to the fountain at FSU today, so it’s funny you included that picture. Have a fantastic time with your family.
Karolina recently posted..Coming This Month!