My First 40 Mile Ride

by Meghann on August 5, 2011

40 miles on the bike? Done and done.

Now, that’s a fun way to start a Friday! Three cheers for weekly PDRs!

My alarm was set for 5:15 this morning. I wanted to get to the trail early so that the nearly 3 hour ride wouldn’t eat up too much of my day. I ended up pushing off from the trailhead at 6:30 (just before sunrise).

I had a handful of cereal on my way out the door and chugged a Mango Mix1 as my pre-ride fuel.

Mix1 had a demo set up at Whole Foods last week and all I had to do was scan the QR code on display to take home a free drink. Score!

Unfortunately, not even a couple of miles into the ride, I knew it was going to be rough. My legs were still recovering from last night’s sweat-tastic speed workout and my off center brake was putting pressure on my back tire. I had to push with extra effort and my legs were not happy about that.

Somehow, I managed to grin and bear it until the 20 mile turn around point. It was still super early and the trail was very peaceful and serene (you know, except for the annoying scraping sound of my brake on the tire). I took a break, pulled off the road, and ate a Quaker Chewy Bar before turning around and continuing with the second half.

Luckily, the second half passed by a bit quicker (I love how that always happens!) and it was really just boredom that was plaguing me at the end. I started playing the mind game of figuring out how long 40 miles truly is. By my calculations… 40 miles is more than the distance it would take to get to my sister’s apartment from my parents’ house, it’s half the distance from my place in Tampa to my old apartment in Orlando, and it’s still 16 miles short of what I have to ride in Augusta come September. Eekk…

The good news is my new tri suit survived the 40 mile test!

The light padding was surprisingly comfortable on the ride. It’s a felt based padding that was like a pillow against the hard seat. My butt and girlie bits give the tri suit their full blessing. πŸ™‚

After the ride I headed straight home for breakfast.

I made two ‘eggs in a basket’ smothered with jam.

And a side of peach and kiwi.

I. Am. Beat.

That ride took a lot out of me. Derek and I are heading to Orlando in an hour or so for the weekend. I wonder if I can talk him into driving so I can sleep on the way? πŸ˜‰

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

1 Heather @ Side of Sneakers August 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

Congrats! That’s a heck of a long ride. You’re gonna rock that tri! πŸ™‚

2 Dori August 5, 2011 at 11:11 am

Great job!!!! It is funny how the way back ALWAYS seems quicker than the way there — driving, biking, running!

3 Mary @ food and fun on the run August 5, 2011 at 11:11 am

Congrats! 40 miles is a long way! I am somewhat new to cycling, and would love some input on trails in the Tampa Bay area. Any suggestions?
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..My Italian Love

4 Kelly August 5, 2011 at 11:14 am

Generally speaking, I really enjoy your blog. I really don’t want to be one of “those people”, but I need to say that the quality of your writing/proofing really seems to have dropped drastically of late. I’m not sure if it’s because you’re trying to do too much, too quickly, but as someone who quit her job to be able to focus more on this, it’s both surprising and disappointing that you would have posts replete with poor grammar and incorrect words. Just a thought.

5 Becky @ Fit Chick on th Flyq August 5, 2011 at 11:14 am

Nice work! What a great way to kick off your weekend!

6 Marissa Elliot August 5, 2011 at 11:17 am

congrats on the PDR! You’ve been working out a TON lately and it doesn’t look like you are eating much! Have you not been as hungry orrrr?

7 Rachel August 5, 2011 at 11:18 am

Congrats on your ride! Just a little comment… It really bothers me when you feel you need to justify your food choices. Today you wrote “the only thing we had in the pantry” regarding the Quaker bar. Why not just own up that you ate it. No need to justify anything!

8 Meghann August 5, 2011 at 11:21 am

I’m not justifying it. I was going to grab gu chomps, but I was out – that’s why I grabbed the Quaker Chewy Bar as my ride fuel.

9 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 5, 2011 at 11:19 am

Congrats! 40 miles is such an achievement!
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..WIAW VII

10 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler August 5, 2011 at 11:23 am

yay for another PDR! That’s awesome!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Summer Staples

11 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 5, 2011 at 11:25 am

You make me want to start riding! Maybe I will start looking for a second-hand bike and give it a go to see if I like it!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Our Honeymoon in Essex, Vermont

12 Jennie August 5, 2011 at 11:25 am

Nice job! I give you so much credit! I hate the bike!

13 michelle August 5, 2011 at 11:28 am

Whenever I am doing a long run, getting over the halfway point is always the hardest. Once I’m halfway done, it’s just downhill from there and I’m usually good to go
michelle recently posted..Sometimes x 5

14 Danielle Dillard August 5, 2011 at 11:28 am

Nice pace, Meghann! Great ride… wish you weren’t so far so you could join our little rides we’ve been having. And yes, the second half flies by so much quicker than the first.

Great job on taking advantage of the QR code promos we are doing. Have you been seeing QR code things around more and more lately in general? PS – we owe you some mix1 cases. Maybe Kelly can take care of that for us. I’ll ask her!

Have a great weekend!
Danielle Dillard recently posted..Starting and Ending the Day with a Sweat

15 Morgan @ Some Kind of Sunshine August 5, 2011 at 11:29 am

Wow! You did awesome! And that breakfast looks yummmy. Have a fun weekend! You deserve it.

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 5, 2011 at 11:29 am

nice job! hope you can get that brake fixed asap. It sounds torturous to have to work harder than you already have to on a 40 mile ride!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..The race itch

17 allpointswhole August 5, 2011 at 11:43 am

Way to go on the 40 miles!! Have fun in Orlando..hopefully he does drive!

18 Caitlin August 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

hey gurl! it’s not hard to adjust your wheel. you just want to loosen the spoke in the middle of the wheel on both sides, adjust the position of the wheel, and tighten accordingly. you might have to have derek hold the bike while you do this.
Caitlin recently posted..Walk the Dog

19 Meghann August 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I need to adjust the break. The guy showed me how to do it, but I need to get the right allen wrench size to fit the screw hole. This just requires me going to the bike store to buy the tool.

20 Caitlin August 5, 2011 at 12:34 pm

wahhh. i bought a pack of multiple size allen wrenches once for like $20. good investment for fixing everything from bikes to ikea furniture πŸ™‚ hehe

21 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

Great job on your long ride! Maybe it’s the marketing nerd in me, but I love QR codes!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Downtown PourHouse

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

WOOT! 40 miles is a lot! GO you πŸ™‚ And yes, you better sleep, I bet you feel SO done with the day already. Hah!
Nice work!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..BodyPUMP Weight Selection

23 Cait's Plate August 5, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Woohoo!! CONGRATS!! That really is a perfect start to a Friday πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Quintessential Small Town

24 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories August 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Wow, you are so close to a half century!! Congrats! πŸ™‚
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #35: Sunny Seed Insomnia

25 Hillary August 5, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Way to go, Meghann! That’s a kick ass PDR. Do you listen to music while you’re riding? That might be a really dumb question (I don’t bike, so I don’t know what the etiquette/safety of this is)!
Hillary recently posted..She’s a Mono-eater

26 Hilary August 5, 2011 at 12:26 pm

You. are. epic. I feel like you deserved a much bigger breakfast after 40 miles!!!!
Hilary recently posted..Life is funny…

27 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Awesome ride! Good job! I love how the second half always flies by, too. All it really takes it getting to the turn around point then it’s (usually) smooth sailing from there!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Yes. You can have dessert for breakfast.

28 Army Amy* August 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Woot! Congrats on a great, long ride! I always find that the second half (of a run, in my case) is much easier than the first half.*
Army Amy* recently posted..They come in the night

29 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday August 5, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Awesome job with the ride!!! 40 miles is crazy far. That’s like from here to Ann Arbor. Wooo

30 Krystina August 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Congrats!!!

I was wondering – are you going to Rasa Lila?
Krystina recently posted..Long Time, No See

31 Krystina August 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Just kidding. I read the past few posts and realized the answer to that question. I’m going to be there too! πŸ˜€
Krystina recently posted..Long Time, No See

32 Amy @ Conquering Self August 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Wow! I can’t believe you rode 40 miles! I just bought a bike a week ago to train for my first sprint triathlon next weekend and I was proud I did 8 miles this morning…but 40!! I can’t even imagine! Way to go! You are awesome!

33 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 5, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Way to go cycling machine! I have not seen/had eggs in a basket in years. When I was in college my roomates mom would make them when she visited. That was a long time ago πŸ™‚
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..How do you like those melons?

34 Sana August 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm

πŸ™‚ most people DRIVE 40 miles a day and complain about it πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..Where do you get your happiness from?

35 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Yeyy for coming to Orlando!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Toxic Oats

36 Ali @ Ali Runs August 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Congrats on your PDR!! What a great way to start your weekend! πŸ™‚ Enjoy the car nap, they are the best kind!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Training for August

37 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 5, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Woohooo!! Congrats on the 40mile ride!

Now you can really just settle back and enjoy your weekend πŸ™‚
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..A drink for healthy skin

38 Angie August 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Amazing! Well done πŸ™‚
Angie recently posted..Weekly Wanderings…

39 Sara August 5, 2011 at 2:45 pm

How do you find a safe forty mile path to take? Do you map it out beforehand? Are there trails near you? That would be one of my biggest challenges – finding a place to do all that biking!

40 Meghann August 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm

There is a 30+ mile trail near my house. I ride it for 20 miles, turn around and head back. It’s very boring, but I don’t trust myself to ride on the road.

41 Sara August 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm

That’s so convenient! I’d rather be safe than not bored, so I’d probably do the same thing.

42 Alana of Whole Wheat n' Wildberry August 5, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Do you use your ipod on these long rides? I know that cyclists don’t recommend using ipods while biking because of the danger it presents in terms of hearing the other cyclists around you, but I can imagine 40 miles music-free could get realllllllly boring.
Alana of Whole Wheat n’ Wildberry recently posted..An Afternoon in Yafo

43 Meghann August 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm

That is a big debate among cyclists. I would do anything to listen to music on my bike, but I just don’t feel right (or safe!) about it, so I go ipod free on rides.

44 Kim Foster, MD August 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Wow, good for you! How awesome is that?
Kim Foster, MD recently posted..Get Happy: How to Cultivate Optimism

45 Stefanie August 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Wow! That’s a great ride!! Way to go!
Stefanie recently posted..Sprint Triathlon Training – Week 1.

46 Dee August 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I feel like I eat 10x more than you and exercise half as much, and I barely keep weight on. Are you feeling ok.

47 Meghann August 5, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Everybody is different. This was just one snippet of food from a full day of eats.

48 Erica @AMPlified Culture August 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Totally impressive! I don’t know how people ride a bike that long! I get a few miles in and my bum gets sore!
Erica @AMPlified Culture recently posted..The Sketchbook Project: Where Everyone Can be an Artist