He Can Cook!

by Meghann on August 5, 2011

Meet my sister’s fiance Anthony.

He cooks. He cleans. And he teaches middle schools the ins and outs of P.E.

My sister found herself a keeper! πŸ™‚

Even better – he knows the way into his future sister-in-law’s heart –

Homemade Eggplant Parmesan!

He fried the eggplant. He made the sauce. And he put it all together. *swoon*

I had a large helping for dinner tonight (plus seconds!) and licked my plate clean both times.

I’m lazy when it comes to eggplant parm. I coat it with bread crumbs, bake it, and then add the sauce as an after thought. However, Anthony really took his time going through the whole process with his and you could really taste the difference. The sauce was chunky and flavorful and the eggplant had a nice crisp and chew to it. I was uber impressed. Obviously.

With the eggplant parm, Anthony also made homemade mashed potatoes

And skillet fried green beans.

That’s it sis! I’m moving in! πŸ™‚

After our delicious gourmet meal, the four of us headed to the movie theater to see The Rise of The Planet of the Apes.

heh. It was ok.

Going into the movie, I was afraid of being turned off by the CGI chimps more than anything else, but surprisingly they didn’t bother me. The animation grew on me and I almost forgot none of them were real by the end.

The real downer was the storyline. I started off interested, but eventually it began to drag on and I grew bored of it. You think a nice, long build up would lead to an intense climax, but that seemed rush and forced into an emotional mess. I give it half a thumb up.

The best part was watching the movie with my sister – the anthropologist. There was a lot of ‘that could never happen’ and ‘ their bone structure wasn’t made to do this and that.’ She was very informative on how the movie isn’t even remotely plausible. Such a realist.

Post-movie dessert.

We headed to Sweet! for frozen yogurt, but I was really in the mood for a cupcake instead.

Which one to choose?

I went with the coffee. The flavor was very subtle, more like a mocha chocolate, but the cupcake was moist and the icing was rich. Cupcake perfection.

IMG_0502.jpg

Yum!

We have a family swim in the morning!

Good Night!

1 Jamie @ getalivingsense August 5, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Hey! That’s right near my house I go to sweet all the time. Love it!!!
Jamie @ getalivingsense recently posted..Puppy Play Time

2 Cait's Plate August 5, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Oh my goodness that eggplant parm looks AWESOME. Everyone needs themselves an Anthony πŸ˜‰

And I totally would’ve gone with the coffee as well – you just gave me SUCH a craving for a cupcake!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Exploring

3 Army Amy* August 6, 2011 at 12:00 am

That cupcake looks tiny! Is that the actual size?*
Army Amy* recently posted..They come in the night

4 Meghann August 6, 2011 at 7:03 am

Yeah – they’re mini cupcakes.

5 Sana August 6, 2011 at 12:00 am

Wow, Anthony is a keeper!!
Sana recently posted..Being an Adult Blows

6 Grace August 6, 2011 at 12:16 am

Oh my goodness that whole meal looks out of this world! Seriously she got a winner, I wish mine would cook like that! I’m a cultural anthropology minor, which means I don’t know a lot about primatology but I am glad Kelly thinks that could never happen because I was terrified and all I saw was the trailer! I’ve been to quite a few cupcakes places now but I am still a huge Sweet fan! I love $1 mini Mondays!
Grace recently posted..All in a days work…

7 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 6, 2011 at 12:59 am

I love a man that can cook πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Weights and Measures

8 Alex August 6, 2011 at 3:23 am

The cupcakes look soooo delicious! Wow, I wouldn’t even know which one to pick.
I’ve never actually seen the original Planet of the Apes so I am not sure this prequel will do it for me…. And the whole CGI thing is a huge turnoff for me too.
Alex recently posted..City Silhouettes

9 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 6, 2011 at 6:12 am

Men who can cook are the best kinds πŸ˜‰ I’m still trying to teach mine that food is the key to my heart <3

Yey for Sweet! (In Waterford, I think?) One of the reasons I've been having withdrawals from Orlando is definitely Sweet! cupcakes πŸ˜€
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Easy & Healthy Chicken Patty Parmesan

10 Sarah August 6, 2011 at 6:16 am

Yumm mocha cupcakes πŸ™‚ Looks like you guys had fun! I love eggplant parmesan but for whatever reason never have taken the time to make it..
Sarah recently posted..No Such Thing as a Wasted Run

11 Lauren August 6, 2011 at 6:29 am

A man in the kitchen is always a good thing. πŸ™‚ Anthony seems like such a sweetheart too.
Lauren recently posted..Breath Deeply

12 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 6, 2011 at 6:32 am

I’m so lazy with eggplant parm too. I cook it up just like you.

And those cupcakes look so amazing. Thank goodness I know I have bday cake for my nephew in the future today to help satisfy the frosting craving you just gave me!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Beg For Mercy: Top Ten Plyometric Drills

13 michelle August 6, 2011 at 8:16 am

Every time I see the previews of that movie on tv I say something like ‘ooo that looks so good!’ My husband really wants to see it but I’d rather see The Switch (I think that is what it’s called)
michelle recently posted..Sometimes x 5

14 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 6, 2011 at 9:30 am

Is Anthony available for lessons? My husband could use a few πŸ˜‰
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Fun Friday fotos

15 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 6, 2011 at 9:35 am

I heard mixed reviews on the Planet of the Apes, and I was debating whether to go see it. It’s good to hear your opinion.
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..How do you like those melons?

16 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

Lucky girl! I’d swoom for that meal too.

17 Ali @ Ali Runs August 6, 2011 at 10:52 am

I wish my boyfriend could cook, wait, actually I wish I could cook like that! I don’t have the patience to put together intricate meals. Maybe it’ll come later! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Running: Cheaper then Therapy Pt. II

18 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 6, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Love Sweet! Their cupcakes are always so moist and delicious. That poster for Rise of the Apes looks so silly. Sorry the movie wasn’t so great, but at least you got to learn a lot!

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 6, 2011 at 2:15 pm

mmmm cupcake frosting! YummY πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..What Are Whole Foods ?

20 Lauren August 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Have to love a man who cooks! And not only cooks, but genuinely enjoys it. One of my favorite things to do is cook with my boyfriend. πŸ™‚

Your night looked fun! Hope you have a lovely Saturday.
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

21 Aleyta August 6, 2011 at 5:56 pm

omg all of that food is making me hungry! He looks like a keeper!

22 Kelly August 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I’m sorry but I have to comment on the uber…uber means about not very. I have German friends and it just kills them when people use the word incorrectly. Yep, I’m a language nut πŸ˜‰

23 Meghann August 7, 2011 at 6:12 pm

haha I just treat uber like one of those annoying slang terms. πŸ™‚

24 Ellie August 7, 2011 at 7:17 pm

“Über” is actually defined in an English dictionary as referring to a superlative or extreme example of something. So if you are speaking English it is legitimate to use it as a superlative, albeit this isn’t super-academic language. It’s a pretty vernacular word but it is pretty codified as well by this point. “Über” in German as a preposition can mean “above” or “over” as well as “about” and the popularization of Nietzsche’s term “Übermensch” led to its common English meaning of “superior.”