more ยป" />

Picking Up Speed in the Pool

by Meghann on August 1, 2011

Happy Monday everyone!

Coach Courtney joined me at the pool this morning for a little swim workout. She had asked on the walk to the pool if I wanted to try a short and speedy workout or long and steady. Since I’ve been working my butt off on endurance and pace in the pool, a short and speedy workout sounded like a nice change up.

Here’s what she came up with:

Warm Up

• 100 Easy
  • 4 x 100 ( out w/ kickboard, drop off kickboard, freestyle 50, pick up kickboard on the way back)

Speed Set (!!)

• 4 x 25 @ 30 sec (averaging :24 splits)
  • 1 x 100 (1:50)
  • 4 x 50 @ 1:00 (averaging :51 splits)
  • 1 x 200 (3:48)
  • 4 x 25 @ 30 sec (averaging :25 splits)
  • 1 x 100 (1:49)

Cool Down

• 4 x 25 ‘Catch-up’ Drills
  • 4 x 25 ‘Zipper’ Drills

Total : 1500 yds

Wow! It felt good to go fast. Errr… my idea of fast. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Basically Courtney gave me the sets (4 x 25, 1 x100, etc) and told me to go as fast I could. She was able to guess pretty spot on what speeds I would be able to hold (which just shows how much of a rockstar coach she is) and created my interval times based on that.

This was my attempt at any sort of speed work in the pool and, I have to say, I’m a big fan. I was out of breath after each set and pretty red in the face. It’s really empowering to give it all you have in the water and actually see the improvement first hand. I may be starting to master this whole swimming thing after all. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Before Courtney joined me for the swim, I completed NROLFW Stage 2A. I was backwards this morning because Courtney was planning to help me adjust my bike after the swim. We raised the seat some, but both of my tires were flat when we pulled the bike out, so I wasn’t able to fully test it yet. Learning to change a bike tire is on my list of things to do tonight. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I came home and toasted a cinnamon raising bagel for breakfast.

Topped with a smear of Naturally Nutty Vanilla Peanut Butter and a sprinkle of chocolate granola.

The world’s juiciest peach on the side.

It’s August 1st, which means we are officially 19 days from the start of the Healthy Living Summit! Whoop! Whoop!

Rumor has it that if you are still looking for a ticket to the sold out event (it’s in Philly this year!), that you may be able to find a FREE one on the Attune website. Check it out and see for yourself. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Cait's Plate August 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

Woohoo! That’s awesome!! Congrats ๐Ÿ™‚

That breakfast looks absolutely amazing and like the perfect way to refuel after a rockin’ workout.

Yay for the Healthy Living Summit being so close! You must be SO excited and proud for getting it all together ๐Ÿ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Mountain Town

2 Alicia at Poise in Parma August 1, 2011 at 10:31 am

I love the peaches this time of year. I could easily eat two a day. I also love that they are super cheap as well! Produce FTW!
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..event recap: Mango Hometown Tour at Moxie in Cleveland

3 Mary August 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

woo hoo!! yay for speed in the pool!!
Mary recently posted..August Goals

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

That bagel and peach look so good right now!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sunday to-do’s + garbage bread

5 Sarah August 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

Nice swim workout this morning! “Learning to change a bike tire is so important if your going to be riding a bike.” That’s what my dad said to me as he helped me put my bike into my car so I could bring it back to school. On my first ride guess what happened? Yep, I got a flat.. doh! I knew I should’ve listened to him as he tried to teach me. Luckily, I was able to find someone to help me fix it!

6 Heather @ Side of Sneakers August 1, 2011 at 10:53 am

Yay can’t wait for HLS!!!
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Bootylicious: 24 Hours of Booty 2011

7 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food August 1, 2011 at 11:00 am

Awesome workout!

I’m so excited that I have a ticket to HLS a room and a flight (finally) I can’t wait! ๐Ÿ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Monday Motivation Mediation on Self Observation and Fear

8 Shannon August 1, 2011 at 11:20 am

May I ask you something? Are you dropping weight through all this training? I feel like you are doing so many workouts and must be burning way more than you could possibly eat . Or are you taking any high calorie supplements?

9 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 11:29 am

I started training about 10 lbs heavier than my normal weight and I’m still hovering at that 10+ mark. It’s actually pretty normal to gain weight while training, which is why I always tell people NOT to train for a big event while also trying to drop weight.

10 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 1, 2011 at 11:46 am

Awesome workout ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m going to try to get that ticket now!

11 Lauren August 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Can no believe it’s so close. I was just in Philly yesterday and thinking how much I can’t wait for it to be here. ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Sweating in Philly

12 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) August 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Looks like a great workout! I would be really interested in seeing your overall impression of your swim workouts. Do you feel like you are improving? Getting faster? Building endurance? Do you think it’s helped you with other workouts?
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Talk about Wine & Dine

13 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I’ve DEFINITELY seen improvements with my speed and pace. When I first started my 100 was 2:10 at best, now I’m knocking out 100s in 1:50 (15 secs is HUGE in swimming!). (plus, the fact that I’m even using swim terms like ‘100’ is big. ๐Ÿ™‚ ) I could also feel a difference in my open water swim in my tri last weekend – I never felt like I had to give up or that i couldn’t finish. I don’t know how that translates in my other workouts, but just the advances with my swimming have been enough to tell me to stick with it. ๐Ÿ™‚

14 Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Nice job on a great workout and getting fastaaa ๐Ÿ™‚
Wonderful way to refuel too, I always envy your breakfasts!

15 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I’ll have one of those bagels, please! ๐Ÿ™‚ Never would’ve thought to put granola on a bagel, it’s such an interesting idea! And looks ridiculously tasty.
Congratulations on your amazing session this morning, little miss swimming speed demon! ๐Ÿ˜‰ xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..green fingers

16 Hillary August 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

My dad asked me yesterday if I would ever do a triathalon, and I laughed at him because the thought of all that swimming (in open water!) terrifies me! But you’re seriously kicking ass right now, and I’m very impressed. Go get ’em!
Hillary recently posted..Sunday Supper

17 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Don’t be scared of the swim! If I can learn – anyone can learn!

18 Sara August 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

i have actually never thought to sprinkle granola on a bagel and nut butter like you have here. what a great way to add crunch and interest!
Sara recently posted..my less serious day: sunday over easy

19 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Swimming is by far one of my favorite forms of cardio and I don’t do it enough – best part? You don’t feel yourself sweating!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..august goals

20 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm

You don’t – but I swear I can stil work up a sweat in the water! ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Emily @ Savory and Savage August 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Congrats on your speedy pool workout!!

That peach did look like the juiciest peach ever ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Cheesy quinoa crisps

22 Ali @ Ali Runs August 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I bet speed work in the pool made your time there fly by! That’s how it always seems to be for me when I run. Speed work/intervals go by so much faster compared to just running the same distance. Good job! ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I love speedwork in the pool. I feel like I am flying ๐Ÿ˜‰
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Sweets + Sweat

24 Lauren @ Team Giles August 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm

So, we just recently (re)joined the gym. I want to start swimming, I know how to swim, but I have no idea how to “exercise” swim. What advice do you have for a newbie?
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..What if you Wore your Weight?

25 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Courtney has some GREAT swimmer 101 workouts on her blog. Check this post out http://passionate4life.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/swim-plan-for-sprint-tri/ ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Lauren @ Team Giles August 1, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Thanks, Meghann!!
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..What if you Wore your Weight?

27 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) August 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Yay! I loved swimming when I was triathlon training. I miss the pool….
Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) recently posted..Our elevator is so flipping slow!!