HIM Training: Week 8

by Meghann on August 1, 2011

It’s official!

I’m halfway through my original 16 week training plan!! All of a sudden 8 weeks seems like they’ve passed in the blink of an eye.

Let’s recap:

By the Numbers

• Swim:  2500 yds
  • Bike:  36 miles+ 60 min spin
  • Run:  16 miles
  • Strength: 2 Days
  • Yoga: 2 Days

Whoa! That’s a lot of training! And you know what? I’m proud of every mile of it. πŸ™‚

I’ve been working really hard at finding the perfect balance with training for all three sports and I think I’ve finally fount it. I’m slowly tweaking my plan a little bit each week – a little more of this, a little less of that – to find what works for me. Each time it’s a new adventure where I learn something new. Training for my first half ironman has been full of plenty of trial and error, but I’m starting to become comfortable with it.

This week my tweak was adding a long run on Saturday and so far I’m a fan. I hope to incorporate more in the coming weeks. πŸ™‚

Lunch

Today’s lunch was a bowl of leftovers

Leftover Nachos and Chickpea Salad from yesterday on a bed of spinach. Simple, easy. and perfectly acceptable for a Monday.

My goal after to work is to change my bike tires by myself. Anyone have any good YouTube Videos or Blog Posts on how to change a tire I should check out?!

1 Madeline - Greens and Jeans August 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I’m guessing if you have TWO flats, you may just need to put more air in your tires (sometimes air just naturally leaks out without there being a puncture anywhere). Or at least one of them. When you are pumping air into them put your ear close to the tires and see if you can hear any air leaking. If you can, you’ve definitely got a flat! I’ve changed way too many flats in my day, but I’ve referred a lot of people to this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5K-DXt9djA and I think it’s pretty helpful for a newbie!
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..hello august

2 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Both tires won’t hold air. Courtney and I tried for 15 frustrating minutes trying to get air in them, but it wasn’t happening. :/

3 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Good luck on the tires– An attempt by me at this would be an epic FAIL haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Team in Training Flashback

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm

That’s an awesome weekly recap, you should be proud of all of it!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sunday to-do’s + garbage bread

5 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm

if both tires won’t hold air, it’s probably a seal problem. The place that installed the tires may be liable.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..On Growth.

6 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I haven’t changed my tires since January 2009.

7 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm

oh my heavens. you REALLY need new tires, then!

8 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I know! That’s why I’m not really fussing over getting new ones πŸ™‚

9 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I hope you get a good deal!!

10 Ellie@fitforthesoul August 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm

wow Yoga in the park sounds sooo wonderful….I should give that a try! πŸ˜‰
Ellie@fitforthesoul recently posted..I Am My Beloved’s and He Is Mine

11 Cait's Plate August 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Congrats on making it halfway through! That’s awesome πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Mountain Town

12 Ali @ Ali Runs August 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Awesome job last week! Your blog is so motivating, I’m loving reading about all of your training!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Hills, Hills, and More Hills

13 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm

You are awesome! I ran 13 miles on Saturday and was so tired… I can’t imagine doing that after biking and swimming!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Chicago Marathon Training Week Three and July Goals

14 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I’ve been really impressed with your training, Meghann. πŸ™‚ Great job!

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm

WOOT. That is awesome!! I am signing up for a HIM for next year, so I’ll keep these posts in mind as I go πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Sweets + Sweat

16 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce August 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm

That chickpea salad seriously looks so good!

17 Mary August 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I hope your tires dont have presta valves like mine do. So frustrating!
Mary recently posted..Its Time.

18 Marie Cabagi August 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Great post,this means a lot to me giving me motivate in doing my work.thanks for sharing.
Marie Cabagi recently posted..Money Saving Tips for 2011

19 Hilary August 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Yay for good leftovers! Both lunch and supper today included tasty weekend leftovers….LOVE that!
Hilary recently posted..Burger Bonanza

20 Grace August 1, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Congrats on being halfway through!

21 Lauren August 1, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Do you think this is harder than marathon training? I always wondered.
Lauren recently posted..My Month of Insanity Begins