more ยป" />

Yoga in the Park

by Meghann on July 31, 2011

Every Sunday at 6:00pm something good happens at Curtis Hixon Park in downtown Tampa.

Yoga Downtown Tampa steps out into the community and offers a donation based yoga class in the park. It’s peaceful, serene, and the perfect way to unwind before the start of another crazy work week.

I’ve been dying to make my way out to the outdoor yoga class for a while now, but my weekends are always a bit compact and hectic and leave very little room for fun, relaxing adventures. Today, however, was about as open as they come.

Derek and I spent the morning shopping and errand running, then made an easy lunch of nachos.

Just blue corn chips with beans, onions, melted cheese, tomato, mushrooms, olives, and salsa.

Slice of leftover Fruit Pizza for dessert (who wants to bet that I end up eating all three leftover pieces on my own?)

And a mid-afternoon snack of Peanut Butter Pretzels.

There was some napping and tv watching thrown in there, but I grew bored of that pretty quickly. Derek LOVES to stay on the couch all day, while I prefer to be outside (even in the rain ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). I left Derek in his happy place and headed on my own to downtown where I killed a couple of hours walking and reading before meeting my friends Valerie and Amber for a little yoga action.

The yoga class was exactly what my body was craving. It was on the slower side and really concentrated on breathing and stretching. My aching training body soaked everything in and flowed easily through the movements. Just further proof that I really need to re-introduce regular yoga practice back into my life.

Namaste.

Yoga ended around 7:00 and I headed home to prepare a light dinner for Derek and I.

In the bowl:

• 2 cans of Chickpeas
  • 2 T Dijon Mustard
  • Balsamin Vinegar
  • EVOO
  • Lemon Juice
  • S&P
  • Fresh Basil
  • Tomato
  • Raisins
  • Leftover Red Quiona

All mixed up.

Served on a bed of spinach.

It was a cold, refreshing salad that was perfect for a hot summer evening. It also went well with my post-yoga healthy body mindset. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had some grapes with chocolate chips for dessert.

I’m currently watching a fascinating special on CNBC called Supermarket, Inc. It’s a behind the scenes look of product and consumer marketing. I love this stuff! <– nerd alert!

Good night friends!

1 Amanda July 31, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Looks fun! I wish I had outdoor yoga near me!
Amanda recently posted..Quotable Sunday

2 Hillary July 31, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I wonder if any yoga studios in Baltimore offer something like this—it is such a great idea, and I need to start incorporating more yoga into my routine!

I just watched Food, Inc. last weekend and it got me really interested in the whole food industry marketing situation. I bet that CNBC special was fascinating!
Hillary recently posted..Sunday Supper

3 Kristin @ FoodFash July 31, 2011 at 9:59 pm

So glad you got a little Valweezie and Amber time in!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Getting My Craft On

4 Cait's Plate July 31, 2011 at 10:00 pm

We have something similar called “yoga in the park” and it’s absolutely amazing. I never do it and I really should.

I love your chocolate chips and grape dessert – that’s such a good idea and really makes me want to try to make “chocolate covered grapes”

Enjoy your special – I think I’m about to turn it on right now too ๐Ÿ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..The Pointe of No Return

5 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete July 31, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Ooh! I might have to head over to Tampa some Sunday evening…looks like fun!
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Mommyโ€™s Field Trip

6 Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs July 31, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Outdoor yoga looks magical!! I want to find a place here that has that, too bad in SLC it will only work for like 3 months a year…

7 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler July 31, 2011 at 10:08 pm

that yoga looks awesome!
and I’m the same way with specials like that- total nerd!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Nanaโ€™s!

8 Ali @ Ali Runs July 31, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Looks like such a great night! I would love to try outdoor yoga.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Clam Bake

9 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’m convinced that yoga is the key to any successful training plan! Really, nothing compares to a good stretch
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..My Very Own Five Course Meal

10 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Outdoor yoga looks like a lot of fun and a great way to relax and clear your mind!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Grilled chicken and vegetable couscous

11 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Wow, what a great program! I wish they had something like this in Atlanta!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Talk about Wine & Dine

12 Mac July 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Yoga outside sounds so peaceful! We need that in Wisconsin!

13 Katy @ RunKatyRun July 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I NEED to start doing things like this!
If I’m in town, I think I’m going to try to come out to this next Sunday-also on my list: aerial yoga and running at Bayshore (I’ve only driven by). My Fiance, Ryan, likes to watch tv for hours on end but I just get soo antsy after a while!
Katy @ RunKatyRun recently posted..The Week Thus Far

14 Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats July 31, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Grapes with chocolate chips??? I may have to try that combo.

15 Lindsey July 31, 2011 at 10:45 pm

We have yoga in the park in my City too but I have yet to make it this summer! I hope I can because I love the concept and ours is donation based too ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsey recently posted.."August" Long

16 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 31, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Yoga looks awesome!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Engaged!

17 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce July 31, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Weird!!
I made a Mediterranean Bean Salad this morning !! ๐Ÿ™‚
So delicious ๐Ÿ™‚
and it really was fresh and great for a hot day!
yoga in the park looks awesome.
Joyce @ Jranola Joyce recently posted..Melatonin Versus Ladle

18 ashley @ the fit academic July 31, 2011 at 11:09 pm

ha! when I first saw the silver boel I totally thought it ws a dog bowl!

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 31, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I’ve never tried the grapes + chocolate chip combo!! I need to try that ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Slow Down

20 Krystina July 31, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Hey lady, do you know if Orlando/Winter Park offers a community based yoga class like that? I desperately need some yoga action.
Krystina recently posted..Long Time, No See

21 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 5:50 am

I know Orlando Power Yoga offers a donation based class every Saturday and Lululemon is great at offering community classes – you should follow the Orlando Lululemon girls on Facebook they’re a great resource!

22 Krystina August 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

Thanks! I know where I’ll be going this Saturday. ๐Ÿ˜€

23 Diana July 31, 2011 at 11:59 pm

That fruit pizza looks amazing!!

Also- off topic but a question I had for you. You love races, obviously! How do you get over the apprehension of getting involved in them? I’m just venturing into getting fit and I find the idea of races really intimidating.

24 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 5:49 am

Don’t be intimidated! There really are people from all walks of life that race! It’s a really welcoming community, I promise ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 1, 2011 at 12:12 am

outdoor yoga sounds really cool, wish I had something similar around. I love that kind of stuff too as far as the show goes. It’s so interesting how they market and grab customers attention in supermarkets. I remember finding out a while ago that companies actually pay more for their product to be on the middle shelves and being shocked. It’s all about the $$$
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Shanna’s bridal shower

26 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers August 1, 2011 at 12:21 am

How nice! I’ve always wished I lived somewhere that had an outdoor yoga class. I love being outside, too! I’ve debated just taking my mat to a park and doing a yoga podcast or something, but I think I would feel too self-conscious… but it might be good for me to try to get over that. ๐Ÿ™‚
Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers recently posted..Tail(bone) End of the Week

27 Grace August 1, 2011 at 12:58 am

I really want to try an outdoor yoga session it sounds like fun!
Grace recently posted..The Return of โ€œFun Graceโ€

28 Lauren August 1, 2011 at 7:00 am

Yoga in the park almost sounds as good as yoga on the beach. ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you had a great Sunday.
Lauren recently posted..Sweating in Philly

29 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 1, 2011 at 7:07 am

The yoga class looks like so much fun. I’ve never thought to yog outside before, but it a beautiful setting I think it would have to be a must!
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..I *HEART* July

30 Caitlin August 1, 2011 at 7:44 am

fruit pizza? yes please!

31 Erica @AMPlified Culture August 1, 2011 at 8:18 am

I love doing yoga outside. The heat, the fresh air and the sounds just take yoga to another level! I’ve gone to several of the Lululemon community events, as well as a few others in town, and all of them are always fabulous! I can’t wait for Rasa-Lila Fest either! Yoga all day. . . Yay!

P.S. Love your dinner concoction. I’m going to try that out for myself!
Erica @AMPlified Culture recently posted..Lattes and Lunch at Winter Parkโ€™s Palmanoโ€™s

32 Hope August 1, 2011 at 8:22 am

Yoga outside look like fun! ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you had a nice Sunday!
Hope recently posted..16 Bites Laterโ€ฆ.

33 Roswell Gallagher August 1, 2011 at 9:05 am

It’s a mistake reading your blog after I swore I’ll never eat dinner tonight due to the heavy late afternoon snack I devoured today. Apparently,I have nachos and a bottled salsa available so maybe a little bit of some would not hurt, right?Good thing my supply of fruits on the fridge are almost empty and good thing I can’t cook pastries/pasta either.
Roswell Gallagher recently posted..Russian Language Learning Software

34 Lyndsi @ Lyndsi and David August 1, 2011 at 10:05 am

ahh! Yoga in the park looks amazing! wish they did that around here…

35 Amy August 1, 2011 at 10:26 am

Remember when you told me that volunteering for an Ironman 70.3 would want to make me sign up? Well, i was sure it was not something i could accomplish, but after seeing all the shapes and sizes crossing the finish line in Calgary yesterday i know i could do it! It’s all about finding the time to train ๐Ÿ˜‰
Volunteering itself was a total blast-the announcer’s computers kept crashing so i was called up to the Oakley truck booth thing high above the finish line to assist Don Ryder and the other two announcers all day in tracking/watching for the athletes-it was a crazy and stressful job, but SO MUCH FUN ๐Ÿ™‚

36 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 10:34 am

I told you so!!! There’s nothing more inspiring than watching the incredible, passionate people cross the finish line of something you never thought you could do. It plants that seed of ‘Hmm…. maybe I CAN do this.’ ๐Ÿ™‚

37 Allison August 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Glad you made it ๐Ÿ™‚
Allison recently posted..Duckweed Urban Market โ€“ Downtown Tampa

38 Kim Foster, MD August 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Yoga in the park–how awesome! I’m jealous. Going to see if I can find something like this near me…
Kim Foster, MD recently posted..Smart Cookie: 8 Ways to Boost Your Brain Power

39 Emily August 22, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Looks so relaxing! The only outside yoga I know of in my area is right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of downtown. I’ve always wondered how people can practice there. But after your post maybe I will give it a try!
Emily recently posted..Yoga DVDs for Weight Loss