Holding It In

by Meghann on July 30, 2011

You have your good runs and you have your bad runs. Let’s call today a mix of both. πŸ˜‰

The original plan called for a 6 mile run this morning, but after a quick check on twitter, I was inspired by a friend who tweeted about her morning 7 miler. hmm… 7 miles? I could do that. I loaded up and headed to a nearby trail for an easy out and back.

I started out feeling slow, but eventually leveled out at a 9:00 min/mile pace. It was hot, but the heavily shaded trail really kept my run cool. I hit the 3.5 mile make, turned around, and headed back with out a fuss.

Then, I hit mile 5.82 (I checked my Garmin!) and my stomach decided to stop playing nice.

If you’re a runner then I’m sure you can related. If not, then let me explain it as a ‘when you gotta go, then you gotta go’ feeling. It usually comes on fast and hard and once it’s there, it can’t be ignored.

I tried to keep running, but that only made it worst. I finished my last mile with a half walk/ half light jog and spent the majority of it lusting after the bushes on the side of the trail. I swear, if the trail wasn’t full of people, I would have happily buried myself in the trees and solved my problem. Not cool.

When I hit the end of the trail, a big, beautiful McDonald’s was waiting for me and I’m pretty sure I had never been happier to see those big golden arches. Problem solved. And I survived to tell the tale. Barely. πŸ˜‰

I receive e-mails from readers all the time inquiring about ‘runner’s trots’ and how to prevent them. Well, this morning’s run is proof that it can happen to anyone at anytime. Mine hit at mile 6 of a 7 mile run. I ate nothing out of the ordinary (I actually had Anthony’s Pizza the night before my 20 mile run last September without a problem) and even ..umm… took care of business before hand. It happens and it’s just part of being a runner.

I had a jar of Overnight Oats waiting for me upon my return.

In the mix

• Chocolate Butter Toffee Peanut Butter
  • 1/2 cup Quaker Oats (HLS sponsor represent! Though, these oats weren’t a freebie.)
  • Plain yogurt
  • Vanilla Soy Milk
  • Chia Seeds
  • Cinnamon

On top

• Blueberries
  • Uncle Sam’s Cereal (another HLS sponsor! πŸ™‚ )

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

Yum. πŸ™‚

Happy Saturday!

1 Kath July 30, 2011 at 10:16 am

So not to be indelicate, but when you guys talk about “You gotta go, you gotta go” and “runner’s trots” are you talking massive log or diarrhea!?

I honestly don’t think I have experienced this before.
Kath recently posted..Harmony

2 BethT July 30, 2011 at 10:18 am

This may be one of my favorite comments ever.

3 Becky July 30, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Agreed…and also, thank you to Kath for asking – I too have wondered what others’ experiences are, but have been afraid to ask so specifically!

4 Meghann July 30, 2011 at 10:37 am

hahahahaha umm… not quite diarrhea, but close

5 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine July 30, 2011 at 10:42 am

Hahahaha “massive log”. That made me laugh out loud.
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..5 Things I’m Loving Now

6 Hillary July 30, 2011 at 11:51 am

Yup. It’s awful.
Hillary recently posted..Beat The Heat

7 LauraJayne August 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm

It’s kind of awful. The worst feeling ever. But after? I can run again, and sometimes that’s my best pace for my long run.
LauraJayne recently posted..Hijacked!

8 erica July 30, 2011 at 7:47 pm

omg. your comment cracked me up.
erica recently posted..playing catch up

9 Courtney July 30, 2011 at 10:16 am

Ahh I have had that happen to me too, so ick πŸ™ That overnight oats looks AMAZING!!!! Best post-run reward πŸ™‚ Besides, maybe, ice cream!

10 Julie @ Wearing Mascara July 30, 2011 at 10:21 am

Been there, done that. I haven’t run that recently, but I can DEFINITELY relate and it’s the worst feeling ever. At least McDonald’s is good for something, right? πŸ™‚
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Cleveland eats: Melt and The Chubby Cook

11 Rachel July 30, 2011 at 10:21 am

That sucks!

I like your top, where is it from?

12 Meghann July 30, 2011 at 10:38 am

It’s Gracie Gear – I got it at a race expo

13 Army Amy* July 30, 2011 at 10:23 am

Sorry that you run ended on a low note. I’ve been there myself, unfortunately. But can I just say that you are totally baller for running in just the sports bra!*
Army Amy* recently posted..half or full or half or full

14 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 30, 2011 at 10:26 am

It happens πŸ™‚ I’m about to head out for a 13 miler with little to no bathrooms around- wish me luck, haha!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Peanut Butter Contender

15 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 30, 2011 at 10:30 am

When I was training for my first full marathon, my training partner and I would call this little situation “TI” for tummy issues

At least you got a decent run in before the TI decided to begin!

16 Mary July 30, 2011 at 11:02 pm

haha my friend and I refer to this situation as “bubble guts” – it sucks no matter what the name!

17 Stacey @starpulp July 30, 2011 at 10:34 am

OMG! This totally just happened to me last week on an out and back run…,at the furthest point out!! This never happens to me!?! Let’s just say I ran the return run at a record pace! Lol
Stacey @starpulp recently posted..Furry Friday 7/29

18 Katy @ RunKatyRun July 30, 2011 at 10:39 am

I’ve had this happen to me too. It’s only happened on the treadmill at the gym though-never outside. It’s awful because I feel like all of my fellow gym-goers can tell what I’m doing because I run on the treadmill for about 10 minutes and then walk to the bathroom for a little before returning to my treadmill. I feel like they all know what I’ve been up to. lmao

19 Kayla July 30, 2011 at 10:40 am

I definitely ended up spending a few minutes in the ditch last weekend on my long run. I was only two miles in with another eight to go… couldn’t quite wait till I got home. Good thing that I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere!

20 Cait's Plate July 30, 2011 at 10:43 am

My sister had this issue and for a long while we couldn’t finish a run without finding a porta-potty. Haha. I (luckily) have never had this happen to me (thank goodness!) but I can relate solely based on how she reacted when it happened!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Peachy Saturday

21 Gina @ running to the kitchen July 30, 2011 at 10:48 am

That’s not a fun feeling, glad you survived!

22 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 30, 2011 at 11:09 am

Even though I’m not a runner, I have definitely been in the middle of a packed group fitness class when WHAM the urge hits like a sack of bricks!

Luckily, the benefit of working inside a gym is you’re never too far from a bathroom. My apologies to the ladies and gentlemen who get trampled as I bumrush the toilet!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Baby’s Day Out: Grown Woman Edition

23 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) July 30, 2011 at 11:17 am

Ha ha!!! Glad you were able to hold it πŸ™‚
Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) recently posted..It’s Finally Here!!!

24 Girl in the pink July 30, 2011 at 11:18 am

Ahh that is my worst nightmare! I plan my long runs around parks with bathrooms πŸ™‚

25 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 30, 2011 at 11:48 am

I’m happy to say that I haven’t experienced this yet (the bathroom issue, that is). Someone just did a guest post on “Carrots and Cake” about this issue the other day. It sounds like it’s pretty common!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..What were we thinking?!

26 Hillary July 30, 2011 at 11:49 am

Worst feeling EVER. It actually happened to me a lot when I was training for my first half marathon. I tried to be proactive and get some of my longer runs in at the gym, but that got so boring after awhile that I braved it and headed outside. Just another fun side effect of running, right?!
Hillary recently posted..Beat The Heat

27 amy July 30, 2011 at 11:55 am

Haha, I would have jumped right into those trees people or not!! I graduated this year but use to run xc at my university and every Sunday we would long run on this highly populated trail. Every run at least 2-3 girls would stop and use the woods people or not….no shame here, that feeling sucks!!!

28 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Sorry to hear you had a tough time I’m glad that everything worked out okay!

You’re right that the trots can happen to anyone at any time!
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..How I Overcame My Eating Disorder Part 2: Treatment Begins

29 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce July 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Gah, that’s one of the worst while running :/
but good job holding it together! πŸ™‚

30 Emily @ Savory and Savage July 30, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Ugh, that is always the worst way to end a run – but at least you made it to a bathroom:-)
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Crab egg florentine

31 Angie July 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I’ve had it on walking treks and you did well for holding on!
πŸ™‚
Angie recently posted..Jars Glorious Jars (and a fig!)

32 Jessica July 30, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Oh my gosh, the same thing happened to me this morning but luckily I was able to run the whole way and made it home in time. I only ran five miles too. Like you said, you can’t predict it, sometimes it just happens!
Jessica recently posted..YAH! It’s Friday But…

33 Liz July 30, 2011 at 1:25 pm

The very same thing happened to me on my run this morning. I was running a 7 mile loop when “code brown” happened at mile 5. Fortunately, an Einstein Bagel’s was less than 1/2 a mile away and I made it to the bathroom without crapping my pants. shit happens, right?! ha!

34 Mimi July 30, 2011 at 1:27 pm

That’s the worst feeling! In cross country, we always referred to it as “prairie dogging it.” Blah…

In other news, what kind of sports bra is that? Is that a pocket? Neat!
Mimi recently posted..Wedding: Final Preparations

35 Amy July 30, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I can totally relate! I had that happen to me recently, I was on a 5 miler in my neighborhood and had to sprint home! Lol!!

36 JunieB July 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm

love it. this happens to me regularly (no pun intended). Generally in the hot summer months. I have gotten use to it, and typically its in the first few miles of run (so I know to be prepared by having tissue stashed in a baggie). Happened again this morning. I had a 17 miler and by mile 5 it hit, and I ran off in the darkness (it was about 5:30am) of an empty lot and took care of it. I know. Gross. But the route we had this morning didnt offer up any porta potties through this neighborhood (which we are usually blessed with due to a lot of new construction to old houses that have been torn down and being built into monster townhomes).

When you wake up at 3:45 am to run at 4:30, my body just isnt ready to go before i leave the house πŸ™‚

and whats worse is that for hours after a very hot/humid long run in the summer i am unable to keep any food in because of the after effects.
JunieB recently posted..Once Upon A Shoe (Your Weekend Motivation)

37 JunieB July 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm

oh and its always best if you are running with a blinky light to turn it off because people are alerted to your whereabouts! This morning I remembered. And yes there are lots of other idiots like me running at that hour because its too damn hot otherwise!
JunieB recently posted..Once Upon A Shoe (Your Weekend Motivation)

38 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Haha, glad you got to the big M safely!!! That is THE worst feeling ever, I think.

But luckily you had a great b-fast waiting for ya after πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Slow Down

39 Theodora July 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I like talking about running and poop far more than I’d ever acknowledge to someone who didn’t run or have a blog. I’m sorry you didn’t feel well on this morning’s run! This heat is just really brutal on one’s stomach.
Theodora recently posted..Queens Half Marathon Recap!

40 allpointswhole July 30, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Ha! I love your honesty~ way to finish it out! And your abs look awesome!

41 Natasha July 30, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This happened to me during my first half marathon and afterwards too. I think that it was all the GU I used during the run. I’m glad that you were able to hold it together. I really need to make your overnight oats…it sounds amazing.
Natasha recently posted..Fresh Picks to Follow: The Boyfriend Watch

42 Mara Shorr July 30, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Meghann- So great to meet you in line at the Central Florida Blogger’s Conference! Love your blog, but I have 2 questions: when did you start enjoying smoothies in a bowl (over the typical glass and straw combo), and I’d love to know more about you eating your cereal with yogurt instead of milk.

Love Meals and Miles πŸ™‚
Mara Shorr recently posted..8 Things I Learned from Growing Bolder’s Marc Middleton

43 Cara July 30, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Ugh i hate when that happens. At least you found the big arches soon enough! πŸ™‚

44 Kelly July 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

These things happen! On the upside, breakfast looked good.
Kelly recently posted..Guess what came in the mail today?

45 Carissa July 30, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Awwwww. I have never had that happen….i do mostly shorter runs but I’m glad you survived!
Carissa recently posted..I got a Garmin!

46 Ali @ Ali Runs July 31, 2011 at 9:36 am

Oh my gosh, I am so glad you posted this! What a funny, awkward side of running. I nodded along with the whole post, it happens to the best of us.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Rainy Run

47 Amber @ Chicken and Chocolate July 31, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’ve never had this happen, but I’m also not a “runner” runner. I do intervals of running/walking on the treadmill–none of those 6 mile runs. I have, however, had intense urges to uh, liquidate when running. We have a treadmill at home, but when I used to go to the gym, I’ve been known to do that walk of shame to the bathroom that Katy mentioned above!
Amber @ Chicken and Chocolate recently posted..It’s Been A While…

48 Allyson July 31, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I def understand, had same issue yesterday. We did a 92 mile relay thru nj….I hadn’t gone all day and my last leg started at 530. At one point I told my husband I had to go to the bathroom bad. I had gone from 630 miles to Over 7. Thank god the last 3 miles were in the woods.

49 natalie (the sweets life) August 1, 2011 at 10:59 am

ha i can totally relate to this story—except i actually did stop in the bushes to take care of it…it was kind of am emergency πŸ™‚
natalie (the sweets life) recently posted..Sweet and Salty Brownies