Fruit Pizza

by Meghann on July 30, 2011

Can i get a holy yum? πŸ˜‰

Today is National Water Fight Day.

At least according to Facebook it is. I received an invite via Twitter/Facebook to the ultimate water fight just outside of the St. Pete Forum – and had fully intended on going – but when the time came to leave, baking suddenly seemed more appealing. Luckily, my partner in crime (Courtney) agreed.

Baking it is!

IMG_0195.jpg

Maddie <3’s Courtney! πŸ™‚

Now, what to bake?

We definitely wanted something fruity and summery, but not too rich or heavy. We did a little googling and idea bouncing before Courtney mentioned how she had been wanting to try the Fruit Pizza she saw on Oh She Glows. Fruit pizza? I could be down with that.

Now, the plan of attack.

We liked the cinnamon sugar crust from Angela’s original recipe, but the avocado-lime whip topping sounded a bit to far reach for us. Instead we decided on an easy (and boyfriend friendly) lemon icing that I found via google and grabbed any fruit that looked fresh and delicious from Publix. Perfect.

Here goes nothing.

The crust recipe was fairly simple to follow. Well, simple if I actually had all the ingredients on hand or read the directions carefully.

First mistake – not using the correct yeast.

Second – thinking I could get away with using a different kind, but forgetting the different kind needs to be proofed. Whoops.

Third mistake – not giving it enough time to rise. I think I’m too impatient for yeast.

IMG_0176.jpg

Despite the many mistakes, I was still excited that it halfway turned out.

I was even MORE excited that the lemon icing came out. We doubled the original recipe, but followed everything else to the T. This might very well be the first time my attempt at icing ended up as actual icing and not a thin frosting. πŸ™‚

A little fresh fruit and we were ready to build.

The finished product.

Loved all the colors from all of the fresh fruit. It was all of my favorite things on one plate.

My generous piece.

The crust could have used some work (my fault!), but everything else was perfection. My favorite part was the lemon icing, I could have ate it with a spoon. mmm….

We did good. πŸ™‚

After my afternoon sugar fest (try and visualize a hundred mini bites of fruit and icing πŸ˜‰ ) I needed a salty, solid meal for dinner.

Nothing fancy – just some cooked carrot, mushroom, black beans, and quiona (also known as a bowl of what was left in my fridge).

Good enough for me. πŸ™‚

Derek is snoring on the couch and I’m about to join him.

Good Night!

1 Courtney July 30, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Mmmmm! Fruit pizza is the bomb.com!!!
Courtney recently posted..Doop, doop, doop…

2 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 30, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Wow I seriously thought that was a professional picture of a fruit pizza. Those are some impressive decorating skills you have there πŸ˜‰
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mission Accomplished

3 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Looks great!! I can never follow a recipe exactly. It’s way more fun to improvise then figure it out!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Citrus

4 Cait's Plate July 30, 2011 at 10:30 pm

HOLY YUM!! That is some serious deliciousness right there.

Enjoy your snoring – I’m following in your footsteps πŸ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Whew!

5 Hilary July 30, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Mmmm…looks summery, beautiful, and delicious! Icing is dangerous like that sometimes!
Hilary recently posted..Fajita Fiesta

6 Army Amy* July 30, 2011 at 10:36 pm

That fruit pizza looks so yum! If I had any skills at all, I’d attempt to make that.*

7 Krissy - Shiawase Life July 30, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I love that fruit pizza! Kath took good pictures of my attempt!! πŸ™‚

Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

8 Bee Goes Bananas July 30, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Mmm looks absolutely delicious! I’ll have to try that sometime!

9 Amanda July 30, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Yum! That pizza looks delicious πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Being alone vs. being lonely.

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 30, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Your pizza came out picture perfect! I’ve been dying to make this since seeing Angela’s and Jessica’s.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Cherry almond vanilla smoothie

11 Carissa July 30, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Wown that seriously looks amazing! I need more patience for baking/making foods that are messy!
Carissa recently posted..I got a Garmin!

12 Grace July 31, 2011 at 12:00 am

I made fruit pizza once and it used a cake mix as the base and turned out like a big soft sugar cookie…it was pretty good! I love the idea of using lemon icing!

13 Ben @ Shirtless Ben July 31, 2011 at 12:34 am

Tell Derek to get off the couch!

14 Sophie July 31, 2011 at 4:30 am

Wow, what a great idea – that fruit pizza looks amazing! Great photos too – I love all the bright colous! Good work πŸ˜€
Sophie recently posted..I Had Lots Of Ideas.

15 Tessa @ Amazing Asset July 31, 2011 at 7:35 am

Simply Beautiful πŸ™‚ And I am sure very tasty! What a perfect summer treat
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Let’s Start The Weekend Off Right

16 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 31, 2011 at 8:35 am

I’ve always waned to try making fruit pizza! It looks so good!

17 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 31, 2011 at 8:45 am

I love fruit pizza, but I make it the easy way: use a roll of the premade sugar cookie dough (just spread it out and bake it according to the directions or until done) then spread with a package of cream cheese + sugar to sweeten and then cover with fruit!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Birthstones & Tomatoes

18 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 31, 2011 at 8:53 am

haha! only a foodie blogger would bake instead of water fight! πŸ˜€
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Saturdays

19 Ali @ Ali Runs July 31, 2011 at 9:11 am

Yum–the fruit pizza looks so fresh and delicious.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Rainy Run

20 Hillary July 31, 2011 at 9:39 am

I’ve seen that recipe floating around, and I think you just confirmed why I need to try it! Now’s the perfect time, right?
Hillary recently posted..I Want S’More

21 Bella July 31, 2011 at 9:57 am

Summer desserts seem so hard to me. Finding something light but fruity and summery is a lot of work. Your lucky you found such a delightful recipe. I must try this. Maybe I’ll make one for our beach trip Tuesday. (:
Bella recently posted..Worst Blogger Ever Award Goes To!

22 Emily July 31, 2011 at 10:23 am

Well that fruit pizza just looks beautiful πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..Childhood memories, clean windows, sushi

23 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner July 31, 2011 at 11:16 am

I LOVE fruit pizza! However, mine probably isn’t nearly as healthy as yours (because no one in my family would touch if it was that healthy)! I usually use a roll of sugar cookie dough for the crust and then mix powdered sugar and cream cheese together for the “sauce”. Yup, not healthy at all! Yours looks DELICIOUS though!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..cookie dough cravings

24 Fallon July 31, 2011 at 5:30 pm

YUM that looks delicious!

25 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 31, 2011 at 9:52 pm

OMG, I love fruit pizza! I feel like I’ve been seeing it everywhere lately. Perhaps a sign that I need to make one? I usually use sugar cookie dough for my crust, but I like the idea of the cinnamon sugar one!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Talk about Wine & Dine

26 Ashley August 1, 2011 at 9:02 pm

That fruit pizza looks absolutely amazing!! I’m going to have to make it.
Ashley recently posted..A Week of Food