more ยป" />

Fresh

by Meghann on July 30, 2011

Since I moved to Tampa (almost 5 months ago!), I’ve been slowly checking off all the places people told me ‘I had to try’ when I moved here. One of those places was Fresh in downtown Tampa. Personally, the location isn’t the best (downtown is really hard to navigate unless you live or work here), but I just so happened to be in the neighborhood today and was happy to finally have the chance to check it out.

Fresh is a custom salad and panini bar with a large menu, tons of options, and a beautiful storefront.

They even have a cereal bar! I sort of wish I did work downtown now – I’d probably be here everyday. Custom salads? Paninis? Cereal bar? Why can’t they build one of these near me? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I probably looked a little lost trying to figure out what to order – there were a ton of options and I honestly felt a little overwhelmed. Luckily, the owner saw the confused look on my face and instantly helped me figure everything out. He told me I had free reign of the sandwich bar and to pick anything I wanted to build the world’s best panini.

He wrapped everything up for us and Derek and I headed to the dog park for a picnic.

I had a custom panini on pumpernickel with turkey, cinnamon apples, blue cheese, grilled onions, and spinach. Yum!

The water was a little high at the dog park today.

1 Hillary July 30, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I LOVE sandwich places like that. Although, seeing as how I usually have a hard time making decisions, I sometimes feel overwhelmed with all the options. By the end, I’m like, “I don’t know what I want! Just make something for me, please!”
Hillary recently posted..Beat The Heat

2 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm

CEREAL BAR!? There used to be a restaurant here in Miami called the Cereal Bowl and it was literally a gourmet cereal place! They had every kind of cereal you could ever imagine, plus any milk or toppings that you would want!

Unfortunately it closed down ๐Ÿ™ But I might drive up to Tampa for this beauty ๐Ÿ˜‰
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mission Accomplished

3 michelle July 30, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I’m so bad at making decisions on what to eat. I probably would have stood there for a good 10minutes just staring.
michelle recently posted..Frankfurt Marathon Training: 14 miles

4 Meghan July 30, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Cereal bar?! Genius! I am very jealous, I would probably be there all the time if I were you, too.
Meghan recently posted..Running necessities

5 Anna @ Food Fitness and Frolicking July 30, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Your sandwich looks AWESOME. Yummy!

6 Wymberley July 30, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I love your sandwich combo ideas! I never would have thought of that. Now I want one!!
Wymberley recently posted..Running 7 Miles

7 Megan July 30, 2011 at 5:11 pm

All of my favorite foods the way I want them? Brilliant! Can’t believe I didn’t think of that first ๐Ÿ™‚

Is that the Davis Island dog park? My family has been looking for a good dog park for our new dog and I know he would just LOVE the water. How is it?

8 Katy @ RunKatyRun July 30, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I’ve been to the Davis Island dog park with my dog, Starbuck, before and it is awesome!
Katy @ RunKatyRun recently posted..The Week Thus Far

9 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 30, 2011 at 5:16 pm

That would be my favorite restaurant EVER!!!! Salads, sandwiches, and a cereal bar?! and all custom, too!! That’s amazing!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Wanna see something freaky?

10 Katy @ RunKatyRun July 30, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I’ll have to check that place out-my Fiance and I LOVE paninis! I don’t know if you’ve heard of it but just around the corner from there is a pizza place called Eddie & Sam’s -it is soo good! It’s real NY style amazingness.
Katy @ RunKatyRun recently posted..The Week Thus Far

11 Mary Schaperow July 30, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Maddie always looks so happy! She’s so cute!

12 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery July 30, 2011 at 5:56 pm

A cereal bar?? I want one! And that panini looks delicious.
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..When QJ moves – Part 10 – We heart our trash men <3

13 Kathleen July 30, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Your sandwich looks amazing! A picnic at the dog park sounds like a pretty perfect day.
Kathleen recently posted..Cupcake Day at Ginger Elizabeth

14 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 30, 2011 at 6:30 pm

That sandwich looks incredible! What a unique restaurant ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Peanut Butter Contender

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 30, 2011 at 6:55 pm

oh YUMM! Your panini looks amazing!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Slow Down

16 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) July 30, 2011 at 7:10 pm

WOW! I need a place like that near me STAT!

17 Kate July 30, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I <3 Fresh! We usually stop there before an early afternoon Lightning game, since we're already downtown at that point. Night hockey games mean a bowling trip to Splitsville, of course — and if we stay downtown, we hit Fresh for breakfast. You'll have to go back sometime in the morning and have one of their frittata egg sandwiches — SO good!

18 Katherine July 30, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I want a place like Fresh around here!

19 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun July 30, 2011 at 7:58 pm

My heart melts at your sandwich combo. I would die for something like that close to me. Mix your own salads, paninis, or cereal? Freaking awesome idea!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..FFF Features โ€“ Mr. Bโ€™s Laugh

20 Lauren July 30, 2011 at 8:07 pm

That cereal bar reminds me of college. The best part of the dining hall was the 24 hour cereal bar. ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Do What You Love, Love What You Do

21 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups July 30, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Wow that place sounds amazing! What a great idea to offer custom paninis. AND a cereal bar?? Perfect for a downtown area!
Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups recently posted..Citrus

22 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce July 30, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Sandwiches…cereal…oh gosh. love love love!

23 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 30, 2011 at 8:30 pm

When I was in Tampa earlier this month for work I walked right past that place! I thought about going in for lunch but chose Pizza Fusion instead.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Cherry almond vanilla smoothie

24 cathy July 30, 2011 at 9:25 pm

oh, THANK YOU for saying that downtown tampa is hard to navigate!
i spent time in tampa last summer and spent A LOT of time trying to figure out downtown – i eventually gave up and just explored where i happened to be (downtown, near a library and a performing arts centre?!). i ended up having a great time, though!

25 Jenny July 30, 2011 at 9:34 pm

That is an amazing cereal bar, although it won’t be good for me since I am so indecisive. Your sandwich looks amazing and it sounds like a good combo.
Jenny recently posted..More Macaroons!

26 Erica @ AMPlified Culture July 30, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Fun local places like that are awesome and I LOVE customization!

27 Ali @ Ali Runs July 31, 2011 at 9:20 am

This lunch looks delicious!! I would love to have somewhere near me with a cereal bar (I LOVE cereal!!) and it looks like there are so many options. No wonder you got overwhelmed.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Rainy Run

28 krystina July 31, 2011 at 12:55 pm

mmm! I love sandwich places – yours reminds me of one I had at Pom Pom’s in Orlando that I loved.
krystina recently posted..Long Time, No See

29 Nadine July 31, 2011 at 9:02 pm

We just moved to tampa one month ago! Can you please share what else is on your ‘must try’ list? Would love to know some other spots that aren’t steak places (Berns/Charleys!). Thanks and for sure you can email me.

30 Meghann July 31, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Wow, there’s a lot! I need to put together a Tampa section on the blog. ๐Ÿ™‚ E-mail me at mealsandmiles@gmail.com and I’ll give you a list.

31 Cara Barone July 31, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Fresh has been on my go-to list for awhile. I will have to move it up in priority:)
Cara Barone recently posted..The Raw Life

32 Meghann July 31, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Let me know if you want to try it for breakfast!

33 Cara Barone August 1, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I’m definitely in!

34 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 31, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Looks yummy! We have a similar place in Atlanta called Fresh 2 Order, but it doesn’t have a cereal bar (probably for the best… my lack of self-control around cereal is legendary).
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Talk about Wine & Dine