Leftover Chicken

by Meghann on July 26, 2011

When you hear ‘leftover chicken,’ where does your mind immediately wander to?

Mine jumps to Homemade Chicken Salad. πŸ™‚

I mean, what’s the point of leftover chicken if you can’t make chicken salad with it?

Chicken Salad is one of those dishes where there are a million ways to make it, no two dishes ever come out the same, and you can use pretty much what ever you have on hand to create it.

I stuck with simplicity.

• Chicken
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Spicy Mustard
  • Various seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, oregano)
  • Pickle
  • Raisins

That’s it. Nothin’ fancy here.

Served atop a bagel thin with fresh spinach.

Ridiculously easy. Ridiculously tasty.

However, give me the same chicken tomorrow and I’ll give you something completely different. No two dishes are ever the same. πŸ™‚

I paired my chicken salad with a side of cold, crisp carrots and cherry tomatoes.

Now, let me introduce you to one of Derek’s favorite things.

IMG_0038.jpg

It’s the Thermos Under Armour Hydration Bottle and he’s obsessed. πŸ™‚

Thermos had sent me the bottle over a month ago to review for the blog. Unfortunately, it had remained in Derek’s hands since the day I opened the package. He stole it, realized how ridiculously awesome it was, and had been hoarding it at his work ever since. It was only recently that I was able to bribe him to bring it home, so I can take a photo or two of it.

Why does he love it so much? Well, the first time he used it, he filled the bottle with ice cold water then left it in the 100+ degree car to sit and bake while he ran errands. When he made it back to the car and took a sip he was SHOCKED that the water was still cold. He did the whole ‘Babe, you won’t believe this’ and made me try it for myself. After that he was hooked and the bottle officially be came his.

I can’t say I blame him, the fact that the bottle keeps the water so cold for so long is pretty nifty. I also like the push button flip top, pretty green/blue color, and indestructible stainless steel exterior (I’ve broken so many water bottles this year from dropping them). This bottle also gets two thumbs up in my book. πŸ™‚

Unfortunately part of the deal was I had to give the water bottle back to Derek tonight. Bummer. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. πŸ™‚

1 Callie July 26, 2011 at 2:54 pm

For future reference, those flip tops are great when you have a baby and find you have to learn how to do everything with just one hand as you hold the baby in the other. πŸ™‚
Callie recently posted..Yoga for the Warrior

2 Heather July 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I definitely agree! Especially if you are a breastfeeding mama and have to drink ridiculous amounts of water while feeding the baby. Flip tops are the only way to go πŸ™‚

3 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life July 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I have heard such good things about those water bottles! And, everytime I make chicken for the hubby he insists that I use the extra to make him chicken salad… its a must!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Product Review – Swanson’s Vitamins & ZICO Coconut Water Giveaway Winner!

4 Emily @ Savory and Savage July 26, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Oh, wow, that chicken salad looks delicious.

I need to get a new water bottle and that one looks like it would be perfect.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Sweet and sour pork stir fry for one

5 Dori July 26, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Very cool water bottle!
Dori recently posted..Welcome To The Real World, Dori

6 Mallory @ It's Only Life July 26, 2011 at 3:25 pm

That salad looks delicious! I think I would sub the raisins for craisins though πŸ˜‰ I like that tart flavor better than a sweet one!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..A New Job

7 Cait's Plate July 26, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Yum – that looks awesome. I love creamy the plain yogurt makes it!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Got My Lunch Packed Up…

8 Lindsey July 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Love the addition of pickles and raisins! And that no mayo was used πŸ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..TGFA

9 Jess July 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I’ve heard others talk about this bottle, but I don’t actually like cold water (seriously!). Maybe the flip top part would still be useful.
Jess recently posted..Greater Than Its Parts

10 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Chicken salad is so delicious! That water bottle sounds awesome. I’m always topping off my water to cool it down again. I love cold water much more than room temperature water!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Frank & Steins

11 Amy Chien July 26, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Your food always look so refreshing, delicious and simple! Keep up the great work! I love your blog!!

12 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 26, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Oo now all you need is a little pineapple in that chicken salad, and it’ll be perfect. πŸ™‚
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Treats that are not Sunny Seeds but are still Very Good #14

13 Brooke July 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Again, “homemade chicken salad” shouldn’t be capitalized.

14 Jess July 27, 2011 at 10:13 am

You must have more time than most on your hands to be the grammar police here. Goodness, I do hope she is paying you for your time! πŸ˜‰

15 Brooke July 27, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I do it for free! πŸ˜‰ Just making sure she knows that most foods aren’t proper nouns!

16 Beth (Well I'll Be) July 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm

It’s crazy how hard it is to find a good water bottle! I love the flip top idea and the fact that it keeps water cool in a car is amazing and much needed in this summer heat!
Beth (Well I’ll Be) recently posted..Gnocchi + Beth = BFF 4 Ever

17 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I LOVE Thermos products! I pour my hot coffee into one in the morning and its still hot 8 hours later!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Challenging Running Interval Treadmill Workout

18 Hillary July 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm

You just reminded me that I need to make homemade chicken salad more often. So easy. So good!
Hillary recently posted..Reader’s Request: Healthy Travel Eats

19 Corey @ Learning Patience July 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Hello! Just found your blog! Nice to “blog” meet you! I’m a HUGE chicken salad girl – I have been experimenting with different flavor combos & this was a Winner!! Here’s the link if ya wanna try it out girl! xoxo from Trinidad

Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..A Breakfast Surprise for My Husband

20 Kim (Book Worm Runs) July 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Yum, I love chicken salad! πŸ™‚ And that bottle looks really nice…thanks for the review!
Kim (Book Worm Runs) recently posted..Last Reminder…

21 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I should get one of those bottles. I hate when I leave my water in the car and it gets hot, ewww!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Applesauce!

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I am ALL about using leftover chicken for homemade chicken salad. YUMM. Yours looks epic πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Eating Healthy Plans While Traveling

23 Christine (The Raw Project) July 26, 2011 at 6:41 pm

The salad looks wonderful. And that bottle sounds perfect for our summer heat!
Christine (The Raw Project) recently posted..Cleanse Time

24 Carissa July 26, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I love that water bottle. Can you put it in the dishwasher? Ok- so I’m not trying to be “debbie downer” but according to my nutrition professor (who is a dr) eating carrots and tomatoes raw doesn’t give you the nutrients. Specifically the lycopene and carrot oil which delivers beta-carotene. yeah, I was pretty sad at all the years I’ve spent munching on carrots. Apparently you gotta cook them or they are just “ruffage” as she said. So…not to be a nag…I was just sharing. I’m still going to eat tomatoes raw but I will make a better effort to cook my carrots.
Carissa recently posted..Thinking Tuesday- Nutrition Knowledge

25 Anna @ Food Fitness and Frolicking July 26, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Your chicken salad looks great! Awesome photos!

26 Dani July 26, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I too am OBSESSED with my insulated water bottle (by Klean Kanteen). Seriously amazing how long ice stays frozen in there!!

27 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) July 26, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Mmm, I’m with you- I absolutely, 100% think chicken salad sandwiches! Those are my fav, and always remind me of my childhood.. My grandma makes the best homemade ones!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Preparing

28 Stacey July 26, 2011 at 10:43 pm

This is awesome. I have the same water bottle but it’s a see thru blue plastic. I love that its like drinking from a water bottle, but you can take the top off and fill it with ice like a cup. The ice actually fits b/c of that.

I’ll definitely have to look for one of these since you say it keeps the water cooler way longer since its made out of different material!

Also – hand wash the top. Don’t put it in the dishwasher! I had one before and the plastic nubby seal piece came off in the washer, never to be seen again.
Stacey recently posted..2010 Gate River Run