Date Night Brainstorming

by Meghann on July 21, 2011

Man, The New Rules of Lifting for Women Stage 2A really took it out of me yesterday.

My shoulders hurt, my butt hurts, and my calves hurt. I’ll take all of this as a good sign that I guessed at the right weight yesterday and the soreness is muscle growing pain. Burn, baby burn!

I was hungrier earlier than usual this morning, so it wasn’t long after 12:00 that I was digging in the kitchen for lunch.

I emerged from the fridge with a hummus, pepper jack cheese, roasted red pepper, and spinach sandwich, which I pressed in the George Foreman.

It was gooey and messy – just the way I like it. πŸ™‚

On the side I had a handful of Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter Pretzels and big pickle.

Planning a Date Night

Derek and I have been going about a mile a minute the past few weeks, so I thought it would be fun to plan a date night for this weekend. I want to do something fun that would be just the two of us and goes beyond our typical dinner and a movie dates.

Anyone have any ideas? What are your favorite date night activities? Budget friendly = major bonus points! πŸ˜‰

1 Cait's Plate July 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Those Trader Joe peanut butter nuggets are so addicting. My boyfriend and I demolish a bag in a matter of days!

As for date night activities, we live in a walking city so it’s nice to be able to take a nice walk to dinner or the movies, eat outside then head back. I also love bowling on a date night!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..So Easy (But Also Delicious)

2 Amy July 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm

So may I say what an awesome idea it is that you used a George Foreman grill to make a panini!! I always thought I had to purchase a panini maker to make awesome sandwiches, but I am so going to try out your trick! πŸ™‚

3 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Nothing like feeling super sore the day after a workout to know that it was a good one πŸ™‚ I love that feeling!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..WIAW and Listening to My Body

4 Sarah for Real July 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I like doing something active and unusual together. A hike or renting a kayak… something like that.

I don’t think this would work in the Florida heat but I also love going to a specialty grocery store together and choosing wine, cheese, crackers and maybe a fancy dessert. Then we just sit out in our backyard and enjoy the food and each others company for a couple of hours!

5 Jamie July 21, 2011 at 3:21 pm

That actually sounds fun and romantic!

6 Faith @ lovelyascharged July 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm

We love trips to an arcade (so much fun to act like a 5 year old for a few hours!!!)

7 Alex July 21, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Those peanut butter pretzels are sooo good. I once bought a huge jar (the Costco type) of them and polished them off in under a week…
Alex recently posted..Vincent J Musi – Taming the Wild

8 KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness July 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I love date nights that really feel like quality time together after crazy work weeks! My favorite would be to take a walk and picnic by water or somewhere with a cool view (saves $$$ ) and then you can watch the sunset together πŸ™‚
KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness recently posted..Cancel the plans & just be.

9 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Mini-golf! (At least, that’s what’s next on the list for my husband and I.)
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #27: Sunny Seed Studying

10 Meghann July 21, 2011 at 2:11 pm

That’s a great idea! I should find a place around here.

11 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. July 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm

That’s what I was going to suggest too! You beat me to it, Lisa!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..heat wave.

12 Shannon July 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm

A whole foods cooking class if there are some offered near you?

Mini golf ?
Shannon recently posted..Insomnia Cookies

13 Lizzy July 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Hubs and I like to take our bikes to a new place and explore that way. We’ve taken the bikes somehwere new then eaten at a local restaurant for dinner. A fun summertime date night!
Lizzy recently posted..Westfield Pizza 5k Race Review

14 Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) July 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Holy moly. I haven’t had a pickle in ages but you’ve inspired me. I want one. Now.

Do you want to go out or stay in for date night? Joe and I are huge fans of game nights (we own EVERY 2 person board game on earth)…

We also like planning adventures- a whole evening of doing things/ visiting places we’ve never been- new restaurant, new dessert place, new band or play or museum… It’s the best part of living in NYC! πŸ™‚
Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) recently posted..Pictures make me smile….

15 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I love those pb pretzels, we plow through a bag in about 3 days.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Tofu zucchini fried rice

16 Sana July 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Hummm! I like going on picnics and watching planes land and take off, or a hike!
Sana recently posted..Where is the fire?

17 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair July 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

My spouse and I are having a date night on Saturday and I am super excited! Dinner and dessert at a rather affordable Italian cafe and a movie.

For us, dinner and a movie is the perfect date night because food and movies are two of our biggest common interests. I would never want to waste money on a date night where the other person could give a rip about the activity! πŸ˜‰

Oh, and the movie of choice will be Captain American. I have a weird rule that I only see movies in the theater if Entertainment Weekly grades them with a B- of higher. It got a B – therefore we are going Saturday night!
Andrea @ Onion in My Hair recently posted..Group Fitness Breakdown: Sculpting & Muscle Max

18 Stephanie @ Running in the Kitchen July 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm

This probably sounds totally lame, but our best date nights are spending the evening cooking a meal together and then parking ourselves on the couch to watch a movie. No distractions, comfortable clothing and good company. Perfect.
Stephanie @ Running in the Kitchen recently posted..It’s getting hot out there.

19 Pickynikki July 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm

For a weekend “day” date, bring a frisbee, a picnic, and go explore a new park around there, you could even include Maddie that way… or for evening, I like the idea of staying in, and planning a game night, or plan a great recipe that you can do together… ever see 9 1/2 weeks πŸ˜‰ or take it outside, and visit a park, pack a picnic meal, and candles, and a blanket and enjoy the stars πŸ™‚ (but maybe leave the Kim Basinger and Mikey Rourke moves for home) πŸ˜‰

20 Jessica July 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

My boyfriend and I go bowling sometimes! It’s a lot of fun (even if you aren’t good, like us)–mostly because, who doesn’t like a little friendly competition/banter? It’s usually pretty cheap–Friday nights around me always have some sort of Cosmic/Blacklight bowling deals. And the pitchers of beer are cheap too!

And you’ll look hot in sweet bowling shoes. πŸ˜‰

21 Katie G. July 21, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I was going to suggest bowling as well! It’s cheap, fun, the shoes are kind of hot! ha
Katie G. recently posted..1 Month and Counting!!!

22 Julie July 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Last week my BF and I visited a local brewery, tasted some beers and got a growler to go. We took it to a local park (albeit illegally but usually no one bothers you) and played frisbee golf. Any frisbee golf courts near you? It is fun and something different! We also like going a local botanical garden, going to yoga together, driving somewhere different to try a new ice cream or dessert place. Also parks near us play movies outside which are good for dates. And tonight we are taking a cooking class. I love dates. Haha.

23 Erin July 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Music festivals are really fun dates.
I think nice bonding activities are camping, cooking together, hiking + a j, and swimming.

24 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I would say go for a hike, walk the beach, play a few games (board game, tennis), do local trivia night at a bar, cooking class, local musuem. haha those are just a few ideas I have. πŸ™‚
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Angry Yoga

25 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Cheap dates: bowling, mini golf, dinner/movie, hiking, board games, or just stay in and give each other foot massages. That is always nice too!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Mickey Mouse Eggs

26 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 21, 2011 at 3:36 pm

A picnic to a nearby lake! Or, frisbee golf! Or maybe babysitting someone else’s kids?

Make your own movie? Ha. Or make a treat together and bring it to a friend πŸ™‚

27 Lindsey July 21, 2011 at 3:56 pm

On our last date night we made sushi at home! It was a lot of fun. We also like to go on bike rides and pack picnics πŸ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..Flash Back – How I Met My Hubby (Chad)

28 Bri July 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm

My husband and I LOVE going to local dive bars to hear 80’s cover bands. Seriously, so fun! Cheap cover (if any), cheap beers or cocktails, and it’s definitely a great place for people watching.

29 Elise July 21, 2011 at 4:11 pm

i love making dinner at home together — each taking a part of the meal, and pairing it with a new wine. and then going out — i like to look for bars that have live music (jazz or something else) or a festival that is going on — and after eating dinner at home and having a drink (and saving $$), hitting up the live music/festival for a fun night out.
Elise recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

30 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm

31 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

We are all about budget friendly stuff in our house… What about bowling? There’s a place near our house that has $1 bowling on Sundays. Maybe you’d find a deal like that? A picnic in the park is always fun + affordable too. Plus if the mans helps out making the picnic food that’s just more extra special time πŸ™‚

32 Ashley @ Thefitacademic July 21, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I love pressed “panini” style sandwiches! Delish! I’m horrible with date-planning, but I can’t wait to hear what you come up with!
Ashley @ Thefitacademic recently posted..30 Day Clean Eating Challenge

33 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Oh trying to figure out date nights…you could do miniature golf, a picnic, or just going for a walk in a pretty area of town!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Interval Workout and a Salmon Recipe

34 Kayla @ Sprouty Buns July 21, 2011 at 4:39 pm

A picnic in the park! My boyfriend and I will stop my Whole Foods or Central Market and pick up various items like hummus and pita, fruit salad, grilled shrimp, veggies and most importantly a bottle of wine :). Throw down a blanket and you have a romantic, quiet, wallet friendly evening!
Kayla @ Sprouty Buns recently posted..The No Grocery Challenge

35 Ashley @ This Is The Place July 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Husband and I love mini golf! It’s cheap, fun and a little bit competitive. Usually we bet on it too, to make it more interesting. Good bets are for massages, movie choices, dinner etc. Have fun!
Ashley @ This Is The Place recently posted..I Just Felt Like Running

36 Ashley July 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Walking to rent a movie and get ice cream is my favorite!
Ashley recently posted..Hot Mess

37 Amy July 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I haven’t had a chance to try this for a date night yet (2 kids no babysitter), but i’ve heard that geocaching is fun. All you need is a GPS πŸ™‚

38 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm

You guys should go bowling! I went with my boyfriend the other night & surprised myself by how beastly my skills are πŸ˜‰
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..But why a blog, Brittany?

39 Emily @ Savory and Savage July 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I try to aim for being a little sore after each workout – but not so sore that it really, truly hurts to move.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Food project

40 Christine @ BookishlyB July 21, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Okay, this is going to sound super “white trash,” which I promise I am not: quick dinner at home, go to a shooting range, and then dessert and cocktails out after. I just went shooting for the first time recently with some girlfriends (dressed up in a cardigan and pearls… very odd…) and it was a blast.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Blog Hop- Bibliotherapy

41 Katherine July 21, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Hmmm date nights. Movies are always an option. If I lived in a big city I would just go for a stroll πŸ™‚

42 Lauren July 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I definitely love the idea of hiking together. Every time my husband and I do this, we connect so much. Just the idea of escaping into nature, away from everything else, it’s not only romantic but intimate on so many levels.

43 Cynthia @ Cynthia's Adventures July 21, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I love date night or date day! Here are some things we did: paddleboarding, medieval times dinner theatre, wine tour, bbq and great wine outside on the patio, biking somewhere nice and picnic, rollerblading and more to come!
Cynthia @ Cynthia’s Adventures recently posted..New shoes Tuesday!!

44 Jess@atasteofconfidence July 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I love putt putt!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Great Fundraising Act: My Donation

45 Julie @ Wearing Mascara July 21, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Do you guys have a Color Me Mine or a pottery place like it? That could be fun!
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Toddler yogi

46 Anne July 22, 2011 at 7:48 am

I bought the New Rules of Lifting for Women per your rec and my friend’s recommendation and I have to say it is so refreshing to read! I finally am not afraid to crank up the weights and you feel stronger/better instantly! I really recommend it to anyone. Thanks for telling us about this.

47 Katie July 22, 2011 at 10:06 am

I’m planning a special night Saturday. I have 5 small, special courses planned, and my thought is to serve one each hour starting at about 5pm. In between, we’ll do things like play games, take a walk, etc. My plan is to type up menu with each course, and the in-between activity suggestion. Totally, cheesy, yes, but also makes for fun, special time together!
Also – I will be participating in the Savage Race next month! I’m excited, and a little nervous, but it should be a blast!

48 Lauren July 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm

That is such a sweet idea! I love it!
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

49 Lauren July 22, 2011 at 11:59 am

My boyfriend and I really like to go to museums together (because we’re dorky like that). He’s a graphic designer and I have no artistic ability whatsoever, but love museums in general. So many museums have cute cafes/restaurants, so you can view art and also have a romantic little meal. πŸ™‚

Have you been to the Dali Museum in St. Pete? If not, I highly recommend it! I’ve been there a couple times, and absolutely love it. If you and Derek like art, I’m sure you’d enjoy it too!
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

50 Hillary July 22, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Especially in the summer, my BF and I love finding outdoor concerts or shows. We pack dinner (who doesn’t love a picnic?!) and just enjoy the music/performance, the weather, and each other’s company. ; )
Hillary recently posted..Vacation Observations

51 Emily July 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm

WALKS!! Totally free and fun! It’s fun to go to a park or something and walk around and just people watch. Well I think it’s fun : )
Emily recently posted..[free] flowers, dates, speedy runs

52 Ariana Lewis October 5, 2011 at 11:11 pm

My favorite date night is having a dinner with my boyfriend and hang out somewhere wherein we can spend more time with each other. I’ll love dates actually, any kind of dates (unless blind date).
Ariana Lewis recently posted..Natural Remedies For Heartburn