Half Ironman Training: Week 5

by Meghann on July 11, 2011

It’s that time again.

Another week has flown by in training for the Augusta Half Ironman in September. One week done and one week closer to the main event.

A Refresher:

Here’s what last week was suppose to look like

Screen shot 2011-07-10 at 7.18.24 PM.png

And here’s what it did look like

Screen shot 2011-07-10 at 7.23.27 PM.png

LOTS of lines this week. Good thing I’m flexible because this week contained the unexpected challenge of stitches in my knee. The stitches required an extra day of rest and removed all running completely from the schedule. It was tough, but I know I’ll be happier with a healed knee come September than the knowledge I completed XX amount of miles while training.

Weekly Wrap Up

Monday

• Rest <- day after collision.

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Numbers Breakdown

• Swim: 2100 yds
  • Bike: 30.5 miles + 60 min Spin
  • Run Walk: 9.75
  • Strength: 2 Days

Reflection

Oy vey. My inability to run is killing me. My only saving grace is walking. I’ve walked more miles this week than I was able to run the week before. I’ll take that as progress.

I know I started out with a great attitude of assuming I would be able to run soon, but the pain, bruises, and swelling have my mind scared something else might be wrong. I keep pushing those thoughts in the back of my head and remind myself it’s just the bruise and stitches that I feel when I run, but those doubts linger.

Besides running, I was happy to at least get a long bike ride and a good swim in last week. I also finished up stage one of the New Rules of Lifting for Women and look forward to week free of strength training just in time for vacation.

The Week Ahead

Speaking of vacation… the week away on a secluded island is going to make training interesting. I was hoping to get a lot of runs and swims in to balance out the lack of bikes around, but it looks like it will be more walking and swimming for the week.

The Siesta Key Triathlon is two weeks away and my goals are beginning to shift due to my injury. Only time will tell if I can even compete in it or not. :/

Heal, Knee, Heal!

1 Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open July 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm

We all have weeks like that. Good luck with the continued training. Hopefully a little R&R is just what your body needs!
Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open recently posted..Get Outside Today!

2 Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It July 11, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Good Luck on your knee healing! It will be better to rest and push yourself because you could injur yourself more πŸ™‚

Looks like you guys are having a blast on vacation!
Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It recently posted..Mexico Recap

3 Cait's Plate July 11, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Man that is intense – good for you! I’m sending healing thoughts your knee’s way πŸ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Use What You Have

4 Jennifer Cook July 11, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Hope your knee heals up in time for your next tri! And good fro you keeping up with your training while on vacation! Hope I can do the same when I am on the beach in 2 weeks.

5 Mary July 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Keep RICE-ing your knee! that’s all you can do. Just be good to your body and if that means you have to take a couple of extra rest days then don’t let it get to you. feed your bod with good fuel and be good to it by resting and icing that knee. πŸ™‚ feel better! YOu’re still a rockstar no matter what!
Mary recently posted..Tri the Worx weekly stats 7/4-7/10

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I hope your knee heals up quickly so you can compete! Keep on icing!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Fun with liquid nitrogen

7 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 11, 2011 at 2:43 pm

You’re doing great despite the injuries and setbacks! I can’t believe that was only a week ago, and you’ve still been pretty active (though, I know, not as active as you’d like to be). I’m sending health knee vibes your way!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Bikkuri

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm

yes, heal knee heal!! Swimming and walking are great too πŸ˜‰

I like the breakdowns, thanks for sharing!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..BodyPUMP Release 78 Review

9 Rae July 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Have you considered water running? I used that as a rehab when I had IT issues before my last HIM. Didnt run 3 weeks out and kept 99% of my run fitness!
Rae recently posted..Wise or Wuss?

10 Krystina (Organically Me) July 11, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Girl, you’re a rock star. Don’t let this injury stop you from kicking major ass. Regardless of anything, you’re still going to complete a half ironman! That’s SUCH a feat in an of itself.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Pasta with Avocado Cream Sauce and Cilantro Oil

11 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I hope your knee heals up quickly — looks like you still had a very active week!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Table Topics

12 Alex July 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Oh Meghann, I really wish for your knee to heal fast! Take it easy for a while if you must, in the end that’s better than powering through… Best of luck!
Alex recently posted..Julie Morstad – Singing away the Dark

13 JessicaEn July 11, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Try not to worry too much about not being able to run on your knee yet. There was a hole in your knee big enough to require stitches so of course it hurts. πŸ™‚

Cant wait for the before/after photos and stats!! πŸ™‚

14 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Your injury has nothing on you! Just keep up the positive attitude and you’ve got this πŸ˜‰
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Coffee Talk: Nutritional Tidbits

15 Hilary July 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I’ve only ever had minor injuries (thankfully) but even the short time off necessary for those kills me…so I feel your pain (no pun intended)…all the best on training/healing!
Hilary recently posted..A day in the life of a kitchen klutz

16 Emily @ Savory and Savage July 11, 2011 at 6:12 pm

*fingers crossed* that your knee heals up quickly!

I think it is amazing how much you have been working out so shortly after the injury – stay positive – it will get better πŸ™‚
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..It was supposed to be funny and lunch out

17 Alaina July 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I love Siesta Key!! If you can’t run the race, at least lay out in that soft soft sand. πŸ˜›
Alaina recently posted..Henrietta’s Table

18 Katherine July 11, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I don’t know how you do it. I wish I could do your workouts!

19 Stephanie July 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm

It is normal to get those thoughts but remember u went to the doctors they assessed it and you are going to be ok!! It is sooo much to run like this, just let it heal, be patient, just like a good little runner haha sooo much easier said than done
Stephanie recently posted..Loop Swoop and Pull – Tying Your Shoes and My First Giveaway

20 Allison @ Will Run For Candy July 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I’ve been going back and forth about buying the New Rules of Lifting for Women…I’m terrible about weight training, haha, so it might be inspirational, I hope. Looking forward to your review!

Annnd hope your knee gets better!
Allison @ Will Run For Candy recently posted..It’s a drugged life

21 Michelle July 12, 2011 at 9:44 am

Good Luck with your knee! Bruises are KILLER to run with. I know you’re probably paranoid it’s something worse (I would be) but as someone who falls down a lot I can attest to bruises being sucky when combined with running.

I took a spill in a race last summer and even though I got up and finished I could feel the bruise with every step. And then I couldn’t run for a few days because it hurt so badly! And it was seriously only some road rash and an big egg bruise on my leg! You will heal! πŸ™‚

22 April B July 12, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I hope your knee is continuing to feel better. You’re smart to give it time. I had a bike collision last year about two weeks before the Chicago Marathon and I was soo nervous that I had hurt my knee and glutes badly because of the way I landed. It turned out that while I did have some soreness, especially the week after the crash, the leg and glute gradually felt better. Hopefully you’ll be good to go soon!

I’m enjoying following your HIM training. I’m tackling my first sprint tri next weekend – AAAH!! πŸ™‚ I’m not nervous about the individual pieces; mostly the transitions make me nervous!
April B recently posted..Cycling on the Brain

23 VanessaG July 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm

You have no idea how happy I am right now! I grew up eating gravy and biscuits. I remember my mom making it on Saturday. I would crumble up the sausage on my biscuits and gravy(that had sausage already in it). Then I would eat more sausage with maple syrup on top! However, I won’t even touch it now. I am a vegetarian. I am sooo excited to make the veggie biscuits and gravy. It was a family tradition growing up. I just have one question. Is the veggie sausage REALLY good? Do you love it? πŸ™‚