Field Roast Sausage Round II

by Meghann on May 23, 2011

Holy Hot Stuff Batman!

My mouth is currently on fire, but in a good way. πŸ˜‰

This is review #2 of the Mexican Chipotle Field Roast Sausage I picked up from Rollin Oats the other week.

I first tried the ‘sausage’ last week as an omelet filling.

Which was ok, but left me going eh? overall.

Today I wanted to try it as is, in classic bun form.

Here’s a shocker – I preferred it in a bun!

I wasn’t expecting that! πŸ™‚

Maybe it was the homemade tahini/brown mustard sauce I slathered on top? Or the Sammi’s Bakery Bun? But I thought the sausage was pretty good as is! I especially enjoyed the extra spicy flavor of the sausage and the overall ‘meaty’ texture. It reminded me of a chorizo.

I wasn’t expecting to like it because I usually prefer faux meat as a mix-in or topping. The general flavors and textures of faux meats aren’t always enough to stand out on their own. However, this sausage was better in a bun. Who knew?

The chipotle flavor was HOT. Really, really hot! A side of apple slices and carrot helped cool my mouth down between bites.

And pickles are just fun to eat

The people at Tazo had sent me the new Zero Calorie Tazo Ice Chai to try this week.

IMG_6521.jpg

It’s ‘naturally sweetened’ with stevia and I was really hoping I would like it, but I just can’t seem to wrap my head around sweetened tea anymore. Something just tasted off. I think chai tea is meant to be served hot with steamed milk, not iced and sweetened. However, if you love sweet drinks, then that one may be for you. πŸ™‚

Are you a sweet tea drinker or unsweetened? I guess the south is really the only place you are given the option. πŸ˜‰

1 Shanna, Like Banana May 23, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I must find that sausage — yum! I like things HOT

I like my tea very mildly sweetened..unfortunately it usually comes too sweet. Ahh well…

I’m curious to try the Tazo for sure!

2 Meghann May 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm

At restaurants my Dad asks for half and half (1/2 sweet, 1/2 non sweet) and at Starbucks you can ask for just ONE pump of syrup. πŸ™‚

3 Courtney May 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I order 1/2 and 1/2 at some places too. I can’t stand it when it’s so sweet it tastes like syrup!

4 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots May 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I LOVE sweet tea. But only lightly sweet. I adore Honest Tea because it is barely sweetened and only 60 calories for the whole bottle, and so many of the big brand teas are so packed full of sugar that they have two or three times that many calories. So yum!
Cassie @ Back to Her Roots recently posted..monday motivation- get movin’!

5 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm

That looks, well… interesting, I guess. Faux meat to me goes in scrambles and stuff….but if you say so πŸ˜‰

Love pickles!

6 Lindsey May 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I love iced tea, in Canada most it sold sweetened already. Bu I prefer to brew my own at home and add lemon juice and a bit of stevia to taste. The store bought iced teas are too sweet!
Lindsey recently posted..Race Day Recap!

7 Megan @ Megan Mumbles May 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I am not a huge fan of unsweetned tea.. I try and stay away from sweetners but from what I hear Stevia is the best one πŸ™‚
Megan @ Megan Mumbles recently posted..6 Things

8 Courtney May 23, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I am a true Southern girl…born and raised in Alabama, so I definitely prefer sweet tea! Funny story, I went to Michigan a few years back and was eating at a restaurant up there. When I told the waiter I wanted sweet tea to drink, he said they didn’t have flavored tea there. Lol! I thought that was so weird!

9 Morgan @ Becoming Rooks May 23, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I looove sweet tea which is why I love Cracker Barrel and Chick-Fil-A. Pretty much the only place you find sweet tea here. Have you had the Field Roast Italian Sausage? It’s really quite good!

10 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run May 23, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I don’t drink tea, but on the rare occasion I do – it’s got to be iced and sweetened. Never hot. But I don’t like coffee either, so maybe it’s a hot drink thing?
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Weekend Recap

11 jenna{frombostonwithlove} May 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm

We have yet to use our long iced tea spoons for anything other than smoothies since moving north of the mason-dixon. While I don’t miss sweet tea as miuch as my husband, it’s always nice to have options, right?

I am with you 100% on the pickles!
jenna{frombostonwithlove} recently posted..Sunscreen and Sweaters

12 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I usually get unsweetened tea, but every once in a while I like a nice sugary sweet drink.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

13 Cara May 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Aww I’m bummed that tea is sweet! I love chai tea, but I’m not a sweet tea person at all!

14 Charise May 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I am very picky about my tea (both hot and iced), but I actually love making iced chai, the same was as I prepare any iced tea made from hot (steep bag in 1/2 as much hot water, pour over glass 2/3 full of ice), then add a big glug of vanilla soy milk. A squirt of honey if I’m in the mood for sweet, but I am definitely an unsweet tea drinker.
Stevia still tastes like an artificial sweetener to me, so I don’t like the aftertaste of it, which may be what you are describing as “off”.

15 Halley (Blunder Construction) May 23, 2011 at 3:17 pm

You eat pickles often, what’s your favorite kind? I had to go on a wild goose chase to find pickle relish that didn’t have high fructose corn syrup in it. Unless you buy your pickles at a whole foods store, it should really be called an ‘ickle’.
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Cheese Challenge

16 Chloe (South Beach Girl) May 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I’ve never had sweet tea, but I will be moving to Atlanta in a few months so I’m guessing I will have plenty of opportunities to try it!
Do you know if they carry that chipotle sausage in a chicken variety? I’d love to try it and so would my (non-red meat eating) bf!
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..Shopping!

17 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm

ohh man that sausage looks AMAZING! that mustard doesn’t sound too bad either πŸ™‚

I am definitely an unsweetened tea gal. I love the taste of natural tea plus sweetened beverages give me a sugar high and a headache!

18 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 23, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I like iced tea sweetened and hot tea unsweetened!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

19 Hope May 23, 2011 at 3:33 pm

That sandwich looks tasty! πŸ™‚

I really like unsweetened tea. I hate when tea has too much sugar in it. It ruins the entire drink for me. I’d much rather just drink it unsweetened.
Hope recently posted..The Phillies &amp The Cadillac Culinary Challenge…

20 Leah @ L4L May 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I *hate* sweetened tea. I’m really sensitive to sugars and sweeteners and think most of it is just plain too sweet. If I want a sweet treat, I do for an iced mocha or something because the coffee cuts the sweets down. Otherwise, I’m an unsweetened passion tea gal.

21 samantha May 23, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I love Chai Tea – I saw that in the background of your lunch before you posted it zoomed in and was sold! I must find some! πŸ™‚ I’m a sucker for sweet drinks.

22 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I love those sausages but have never seen the spicy variety- looks right up my alley! I like unsweetened iced tea best. It’s just so refreshing!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Unpack to Repack

23 Kelly @foodiefresh May 23, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I use to drink sweet ice tea like it was my job and now I never ever drink it. Now that I understand how calories and sugar work, I prefer to eat sweets after my meal instead of drinking them.
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..French Toast &amp Grilled Peaches

24 Mac May 23, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I’m a sweet tea drinker… I will sometimes drink green tea unsweetened, but that’s a rare occurrence. There is one tea that I like unsweetened and that is mango ice tea, it has just the perfect amount of natural sweetness to it.
Mac recently posted..Grocery Planning

25 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs May 23, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Unsweet tea! I work at a teahouse and people will put 8+pumps of agave in their tea, it kind of makes me sick :-\ Those field roast pictures are making me really hungry… time for dinner πŸ™‚
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..Another One Mile

26 amanda May 23, 2011 at 6:29 pm

iced tea is my weakness. that tazo tea sounds to die for. i think i’d find it dangerously delicious.
amanda recently posted..hot and dangerous

27 Stephanie May 23, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I live in Texas so if tea is cold, it must be sweet, but if it’s hot I like to drink it without a sweetener.
Stephanie recently posted..Drinks For Dinner

28 Alexa @ Simple Eats May 23, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I’m iffy about meat substitutes, but this one looks good! I’m actually from the south, but I don’t like sweet tea! I love unsweetened, it’s so much more refreshing!

29 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 23, 2011 at 6:56 pm

oooh how tasty!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..A magical birthday party…

30 Christine May 23, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I’m a sugar fiend, so definitely sweetened!

31 Evan Thomas May 23, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I like my tea hot and unsweetened, but in the north you really aren’t given any other choice.

32 Courtney May 23, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I’m most definitely a sweet tea drinker. I don’t even bother with unsweetened. I don’t drink black tea (or tea in general) every day though. BTW, that sausage seems interesting. I’ve never been a sausage kind of girl (ah, this has the potential to get dirty), but I like to try new faux meat items.
Courtney recently posted..It’s Like a Zoo in Here!

33 Courtney May 23, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Oh Lord, do I love how you get down and dirty in the kitchen. Nom nom.
Courtney recently posted..Crossfit Spinning

34 Amy @ love4living May 23, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I like my tea mildly sweet – so I usually just ask for it unsweetened and then sweeten it myself!
Amy @ love4living recently posted..Cloudy with a chance of…

35 BroccoliHut May 23, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I’ve always been intrigued by those sausages in Whole Foods but never tried them for myself. Glad you liked it!
Even though I am an Alabama girl, I much prefer unsweetened tea!

36 Sam May 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I prefer my tea unsweetened – both the cold and hot varieties. I’ve become so used to it that sweet tea is just too sugary for me.

That sausage sandwich sure looks yummy!
Sam recently posted..Monday Morning Routine

37 jodie May 23, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I prefer hot tea, not a fan of iced tea and my hot tea is unsweetened. I am searching for a laptop, any suggestions? Have a good night.
jodie recently posted..Product love and Routine

38 Angela May 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I love me some sweet tea!!! Being in California they don’t even know what sweet tea is and it sucks. Sweetening regular tea just isnt the same
Angela recently posted..Double Coupons!