The Y

by Meghann on May 4, 2011

It’s official!

I am once again a card carrying member of a gym. πŸ™‚

(The card machine was broken, so I missed out on the ‘it’s 6:30am and I’m joining a gym’ photo. Shucks.)

Despite my complicated relationship with the gym, I knew this was a necessity for Half Ironman training (especially in the Florida heat!). I found a gym I’m really happy with – the people are nice, they have a big beautiful pool, lots of classes, etc – and if it doesn’t work out, they have a great cancellation policy. No contracts, I didn’t sign my name in blood, and with a 30 day notice I can walk away without giving over my first born child. Win. Win.

I hit the gym this morning for the first time as proud member. πŸ™‚

My goal was to complete a 25 minute warm up on the elliptical, followed by some strength training.

I’ve discovered recently that trying to strength train without a plan is pointless. I walk around aimlessly not sure what to do, I pull a few moves from my memory, and then I hightail it out of there, patting myself on the back for atleast making the effort. After reading the first few chapters of The New Rules of Lifting for Women, I’ve come to realize that isn’t going to cut it anymore. I’m a newbie with weights and, if I’m going to make this relationship work, I need to come prepare.

I flipped through the drawer I keep all of my printed and ripped-from-magazines workout plans and uncovered an oldie, but a goodie: Emily’s 15 Strength Exercises You Can Do At Home (or, in my case, a gym).

I love her photos. I love that she gives her usual reps and weight setting (though my weights were considerably less than hers, it was a good reference). And I love how easy it is to follow. I need exercises to be dumbed down and she dumbed them down for me. πŸ™‚

At the top she recommends doing the complete circuit twice, but it took me 45 minutes to do it once and by the end I was wiped. Once was all my body could handle.

I left the gym feeling great. My whole body felt worked <- a good sign!

I came home and decided to cut into the new fruit I picked up at Publix this weekend.

Publix advertised it as a Uniq fruit, but I’m pretty sure it also goes by the Ugli name. It’s in the citrus family and is very similar to a grapefruit, only not as tart. It was also quite dry. I’m not sure if that was just the one i got or if the uniq fruit is usually like that?

After a sample slice or two, the Uniq found it’s way into my bowl of cereal.

• 1/2 cup Puffins
  • 1/2 cup Kix
  • 1/4 cup Uncle Sam’s Strawberry
  • Uniq Fruit
  • Honey Peanut Butter

Citrus and Peanut butter is a rockin’ combination. Try it. Love it. Thank me later.

The remainder of my morning was spent on my kitchen table with my laptop. I really, really need to work on organizing the new desk, so I can take advantage of it, but time has not been my friend lately. Who needs sleep? Right?

Derek and I fought over who was going to enjoy last night’s dinner for lunch today.

I won. πŸ™‚

I paired the left over Ranch/ Sweet Potato Pizza with a little apple.

Time to make the most of my afternoon.

May the 4th be with you!! < — not sure why I find this so hilarious! πŸ™‚

1 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I’ve never seen that fruit before and the rind is so thick! Yikes. Hardly any actual fruit in there πŸ™‚

I’m the same way with strength training — I need a plan with pictures to follow or I just feel lost.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

2 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I’m a member of the YMCA too here in Jax! Yay for the Y-M-C-A!!! πŸ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..BOOKED!!!

3 Samantha Angela May 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Welcome back to weight training!
I have a few exercise routines on my weightlifting page if you’re interested. (http://gamereviewwiki.com/bikinibirthday/weightlifting/) You’re definitely right that going in without a plan is pointless. Depending on how many days I can devote to a program I usually do one of the following splits in a week:

– 2 upper body days/2 lower body days
– 2 upper body days/1 lower body day (when I’m running a lot)
– 2 or 3 full body days

I like to incorporate a lot of compound muscle group exercises (like squats, push ups, pull ups, etc ) and for me what usually works best to build strength is to do heavy weight and few reps.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want to chat about weight training πŸ™‚ Too bad I don’t live in Florida, I could definitely use a weight training buddy these days!

4 Kara May 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm

You and Derek are totally meant to be if you’re fighting over leftover sweet potato raisin pizza πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Some days

5 Vikki May 4, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I agree….When Meghann said she got the leftovers, all I could think was “Wow, Derek won that one.” Two people with taste buds that similar should be together.

6 Hope May 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Congrats on the gym membership! That is such an interesting looking fruit! I’ve never heard of it before. I am always one to try new fruits when I find them in the supermarket. I’m going to have to look for this one! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Sliders…

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Glad you are now a gym member! I’ve also got some strength workouts on my blog (http://eatspinrunrepeat.wordpress.com/workouts/) and most of the total-body ones have photos and detailed descriptions. Feel free to check it out!

Oh, and GENIUS idea on the sweet potato pizza – that sounds like a delicious topping!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..April Goal Check-In

8 Morgan May 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I started a weight-lifting program 5 weeks ago and I am so glad I did. I am a runner as well and let me tell you I have definitely noticed a difference in my stamina since I started focusing on weights. I follow the 12 week plan on the link I’m providing to you. I think you will really benefit from it seeing as how it recommends 2 days of weights then a day of cardio only then 2 days of weights and another day of cardio with one day off completly. I hope you find at least some of the info beneficial….also you can print out their workout tracker so you can document how much you are improving over the course of the program.

9 kristinp May 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Yay for the Y! Have you checked out the Body Pump classes? My Y offers them daily and they are a great way to get going on weight training with supervision so you know you are doing things right. I was always a little hesitant to get going on free weights because you can injure yourself so easily. Body Pump solves that problem and I leave with exhausted muscles shaking like leaves πŸ™‚

10 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm

What an interesting fruit! And congrats on joining a gym – it sounds like it was the right decision.

11 nacho lindsay May 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Congrats on lifting with a plan! I do the same thing… a few sets of bicep curls and I am done.
nacho lindsay recently posted..Island Bar and Grill- Omaha NE

12 Ally (oatsandspice) May 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Congrats on your new gym membership – I love going to the gym… it’s a great way to get out of the house and meet new people!

I have never in my life heard of Uniq fruit – it looks interesting!
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Pictures Say 1000 Words

13 lynne @lgsmash May 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm

in response to ‘may the 4th be with you’ – this is a featured blog on wordpress today – pretty funny! http://thinksquad.net/2011/05/04/may-the-4th-be-with-you/

good luck with weight training and HIM training!

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I LOVE the gym–hopefully this will help you get over your thoughts earlier about it??? πŸ™‚

Your b-fast and lunch look great, gonna have to steal some ideas. thanks!

15 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I’m the same way with weights. I LOVE them but going in there without a plan? Eh. But something is better than nothing!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Wanted

16 Ericka May 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I just wanted to say I love your blog and thank you for the idea of sweet potato pizza! I’m so obsessed with sweet potatoes, I never thought of putting them on my other favorite thing — pizza! I just found your blog a week or two ago and I’m addicted! Thanks for such good content πŸ™‚
Ericka recently posted..Last Weekday Off!

17 Meghann May 4, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Yay! Thanks for the comment! Make the pizza and be prepared to swoon. πŸ™‚

18 Stacey May 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm

“May the 4th be with you!! ” i never heard that with you but i think it is hilarious too. My nephew (5) loves star wars.
Stacey recently posted..Happy Anniversary- Birthday- and Engagement!

19 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I am always scared to try new fruits, but hey! If I see this one I’ll give it a go πŸ™‚
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Glacier Country

20 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 4, 2011 at 4:02 pm

How do you like that lifting book? I am totally intrigued by it and want to get it!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Threshold Training

21 Meghann May 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm

It’s really good! The author takes the no bs, this is how I see it approach.

22 Ashlee May 4, 2011 at 4:18 pm

It kind of looks like a Pomelo. My grandparents used to grow them. If it is, try removing the membrane from each segment, it’ll be much tastier.

23 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 4, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Congrats on being a gym member again! I sort of love the gym. Maybe it’s because I’m single and can easily check out men…who knows? hehe

In any case, I hope you enjoy!

I’m still drooling over your dinner from last night πŸ™‚
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Word Up Wednesday- Kitch-inspiration

24 Michelle... May 4, 2011 at 4:19 pm

A note on some of those lifts in Emily’s workout…on the bent over rows, you should really keep your back flat and not let it bow at all…if you’re letting it bow, reduce your weight. Same with deadlifts. Check the NRLFW book for the proper form on those.
Michelle… recently posted..A Minimalism Update

25 Kacy May 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Yay! I love the Y!
Kacy recently posted..Fact-Speculation

26 Courtney May 4, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Fun! Hope you enjoy your new gym πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..How Pre-Syncope Feels

27 Sarah S May 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Congrats on your gym membership! I have neither seen nor heard of this uniq fruit, but I am intrigued. Unfortunately, I have weird food allergies and I’m afraid if I tried it I would die.

28 Wymberley May 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Have I told you how much i enjoy yogurt on cereal now? Thanks for the inspiration. Even my Dad liked it. Now to find honey peanutbutter…
Wymberley recently posted..Hal Higdons 30 week Supreme Novice Marathon Training Program- Week 2 Review

29 Elizabeth May 4, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I love the Y! This is truly the only place I workout 1. ohio weather sucks! 2. i focus more 3. i meet new people all the time! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I love your pizza idea from yesterday, I made it last night for dinner and it really was the best idea ever for pizza!

30 Karolina May 4, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Congratulations on your new relationship with the Y. I hope it’s a fulfilling relationship, and you are able to get something out of it!

31 Christine May 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm

And still a “young adult.” Nice! With only two and half years before my thirties I’m relishing the “young” moments.
Christine recently posted..Defensive Much

32 Meghann May 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm

The ‘young adult’ age ranges from 20-29 πŸ™‚

33 Alaina May 4, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I’m intimidated to do strength training at the gym for just that reason too; I never have a plan. I need to find some workouts to print and bring with me to the gym. Besides the NROLFW, do you have any go-to’s?
Alaina recently posted..GBCA Trade Show 2011

34 Meghann May 4, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I also just bought Woman’s Health Big Book of Work Outs. I can’t wait to sink my teeth into that one too. πŸ™‚

35 Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest May 4, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Yay, I love the YMCA! Enjoy the new gym.

I really want to read that book. Have you learned a lot so far or does it cover a lot of things you already know?
Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest recently posted..Injuries stink

36 Jill May 7, 2011 at 8:08 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the YMCA. I am currently on my 13th week of not being able to exercise and am really missing the Y- and moving for that matter! I am addicted to step aerobics. Have you ever tried stepping before?
Jill recently posted..8-500 To Go