Pre-Training

by Meghann on April 3, 2011

Look who came out of hiding – my bike Blue! πŸ™‚

Blue and I have a seasonal relationship. We’re best friends during spring and summer, but as soon as the fall race season and cold weather blow in, we temporarily decide to part ways. Poor Blue had been collecting dust on a side wall since August.

Fortunately for Blue – and myself – the warm weather has kicked in and triathlon season is just around the corner. Yay! In fact, ‘pre-training’ for my Half Ironman has officially begun! πŸ™‚

My official yet-to-be-determined training schedule doesn’t officially begin until May, but my lack of recent biking (or swimming) experience has encouraged me to build a little endurance before I dive in. Pre-training is just a casual approach to all three activities before I get all hard core.

Today’s bike plan was simple. I drove to a nearby trail, went out 6 miles, and came back 6 miles. Nothing strenuous and nothing complicated.

Confession: I’m an awful cyclist. I have no idea how to work gears and my middle ground speed is 13 mph. I try though! I really try! I just need to learn to step it up before Augustus. πŸ™‚

I had a few errands to run after my ride, so I brought a new Odwalla Bar to snack on.

Odwalla had sent me the Dark Chocolate Chip Walnut bar to review, but honestly I was a little disappointed. There were maybe two Dark Chocolate Chips in the whole bar. Not enough in my humble opinion. πŸ˜‰

I was excited to get down and dirty in the kitchen this evening. I hadn’t cooked a real meal in there since Wednesday!

Tonight’s meal was a classic – Veggie Fried Rice.

I started with veggies and tempeh in a wok. Added some sesame oil. Added soy sauce. Added more soy sauce. Seasoned with ginger, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Steamed a bag of brown rice in a bag (it was so easy!). Added the rice. Fried an egg. Add more soy sauce. Topped with sesame seeds.

Served.

The best part of fried rice is the egg. In my opinion it’s not real fried rice without it. πŸ™‚

For dessert I mixed some ricotta cheese with honey, strawberries, and chocolate. It’s my shortcut cannoli without the shell.

The new TV is up! Perfect excuse to curl up in bed with the remote.

Good night!

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 3, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I totally know what you mean regarding cold weather and biking-they just don’t mix! I look forward to hearing about your training, I did a half-iron several years ago and really want to do another one soon. πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Body Weight Exercise Strength Workout

2 Mimi April 3, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Mmm, this might be the perfect way to use up my leftover ricotta!
Mimi recently posted..Showing a little rebelliousness

3 River April 3, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I love ricotta! But it’s so expensive! I guess any cheese is though.
River recently posted..LOTD – Saturday 2nd April

4 Meghann April 4, 2011 at 9:37 am

It’s cheaper than my favorite goat cheese. πŸ™‚

5 Lauren @chigallauren April 3, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I had veggie fried rice for dinner tonight too…with a big juicy egg on top πŸ™‚
Lauren @chigallauren recently posted..Sweet and Savory

6 michelle April 3, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Cold weather and biking… sometimes I feel the same way about cold weather and running. There were a few times this winter where I questioned my sanity when I went running.
michelle recently posted..Flashback Friday – Korea

7 Kacy April 3, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I’m really scared of biking, but I so want to learn and train for a triathlon!
Kacy recently posted..BIG talk

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 3, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I’d like to try cycling. I’m a shitty biker too.

If I were in Tampa I’d love to ride with you so I could progress with someone.

Do you use cycling shoes?

9 Meghann April 4, 2011 at 9:39 am

I don’t, but I know I need to get a pair soon.

10 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 3, 2011 at 10:12 pm

half iron-man? Rock it out girl. I’m ready to get biking this year too. I need to get myself a helmet and pump up my tires!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Caught Something I Wish I Didn’t

11 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 3, 2011 at 10:12 pm

oooh I love biking!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Tri the Bay – Enticer Race

12 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 3, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I love fried rice — although my homemade kind is not as good as takeout!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

13 Alison April 3, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I miss riding my bike! I love it and would love to think about a triathlon, but I am too much of a chicken to ride ANYWHERE in NYC. Even the bike paths seem super scary….I just know I am going to get doored.
Alison recently posted..I made something pretty…

14 Kaitlin April 3, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Nice bike! I bike year round and commute, so it’s not too bad to get back into it when the sun comes out πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Another Great Weekend

15 Courtney April 3, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I’m so excited to read about your training. I love biking and love running, I have just never really swam a lick in my life. =\ I’m scared to suck terribly!
Courtney recently posted..Raisin Bran Fruit &amp Nut Wads

16 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 3, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Veggie fried rice? One of my favorites!!

Some day I may get brave enough to try doing a Triathlon…
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Braised beef shank and saffron mashed potatoes

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 4, 2011 at 12:11 am

I am a horrible cyclist too- But I am excited to follow your journey, as I want to do a half-ironman soon also πŸ™‚ love your dessert idea!

18 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 4, 2011 at 12:52 am

LOVE the shortcut cannoli – such a great idea!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Good and Bad

19 Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 4, 2011 at 12:52 am

I love all your shortcut recipes! I also love eggy fried rice! I got some take out the other day, but it was way greasy… It’s much better for you to make it at home!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..CinnaBon Craving Conquered!

20 Elise April 4, 2011 at 2:08 am

I have the exact same relationship with my bike. It has only seen like 3 days on the road since November…when the rain set in to northern Cali.

Good luck with the half Ironman training. Does your planned training schedule require more/less time than marathon training? I’ve been toying with the idea of doing a half Ironman, but don’t think I can set aside more time than a solid marathon training schedule requires. I was curious as to what you think based on your plan.
Elise recently posted..Falafel &amp Prelims

21 Meghann April 4, 2011 at 9:47 am

I haven’t begun building my plan yet, but I’m assuming it will be require more time than marathon training because it’s three separate activities that will need equal attention.

22 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East April 4, 2011 at 4:19 am

I totally agree about the egg in veggie fried rice! It totally makes the dish!
Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East recently posted..Rain- rain go away

23 Lauren April 4, 2011 at 6:57 am

I am just like you. I really have no idea what to do when it comes to biking but I still enjoy just getting out there and riding. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..2011 National Cherry Blossom Race

24 Katherine: Unemployed April 4, 2011 at 7:15 am

I love GNU bars that are high fiber; I haven’t seen the odwalla ones!
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Hestia

25 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 4, 2011 at 7:19 am

Your veggie frid rice looks amazing!

26 Amy April 4, 2011 at 7:50 am

Ooh that dessert looks amazing. What a good idea!
Amy recently posted..consequences

27 Lauren April 4, 2011 at 8:30 am

my biggest tip for you to get better at riding your bike is to 1. spend a TON of time on it and 2. get clipless pedals! I know they seem really scary but after trying them on grass and falling a few times you get used to them. They really really really help you get the full pedal stroke because you are able to “pull up” since you are clipped in instead of only mash down on the pedals. You should give it a try πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Weekend Recap- The start of total domination

28 Cait's Plate April 4, 2011 at 8:57 am

Gosh – can I just tell you how jealous I am of the weather there?? I’m sitting here looking out my window as the horrible grey sky and I’m SO envious of your sun shiney day!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Communal Table

29 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life April 4, 2011 at 9:07 am

Your dinner looks delicious!!!
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Things I Love Today

30 Rae April 4, 2011 at 10:14 am

Make sure you get some super comfy bike or tri shorts before that race…you and Blue will be best friends for 3-4 hours that day πŸ˜€
Rae recently posted..Trump THAT

31 Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com April 4, 2011 at 10:25 am

Gosh I always forget about ricotta. I’m buying some today for desserts πŸ™‚
Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com recently posted..Baked Falafel with Lemon Tahini Sauce

32 kathleen April 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I am good at the gears. If they were the opposite of what I think they are. It’s like the left hand for fast and right for slow. Or the other way around? I always mix it up.
kathleen recently posted..He’s so cute