I was so happy when Jenn selected Butternut Squash as the secret ingredient for this week. I had bought one at Publix on my weekly shopping trip and was already brainstorming what to do with it when I found out it would be the secret ingredient of the week.
I’ve only ever cooked with butternut squash once in the past. Over the summer I made a killer Butternut Squash Lasagna that I had been dying to recreate. However, I decided to branch out from the pasta realm and try to be a little creative for the contest this week. So after some researching and inspiration from this recipe I came up with the final product that I would like to officially submit to the secret ingredient contest this week. 🙂
Butternut Squash Strata
- 2 cups cubed Butternut Squash
- 1/2 cup shredded Zucchini & Yellow Squash
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped Mushrooms
- 3/4 cup Fat Free Milk
- 2 Whole Eggs (this is all I had otherwise I would have used just egg whites)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used leftover 1.5% Jalapeno Jack Cheese)
- 2 slices toasted Whole Wheat Bread
- Here’s a good tip: Peel the butternut squash, poke with some holes and microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. This will make it a little soft and easier to cut into cubes 🙂
- Place the cubes of butternut squash in a baking dish and bake in oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- While squash is baking sauté onions, garlic, mushrooms and shredded squash until tender.
- Once butternut squash is done reduce the oven temp to 375
- In a mixing bowl combine egg, milk, 1/4 cup of the cheese and spices
- In an 8 in baking dish combine the veggies, egg/milk combination and pieces of toast.
- Top with remaining cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is cooked through
I had a nice hefty serving of this dish and ate every bite…. and maybe went back for a couple of forkfuls right out of the baking dish 🙂
I’m really happy with the way it came out. This makes me want to explore with butternut squash more, I wonder what else I can create with it?!?!?! I’m so glad they’re in season right now. I see alot of butternut squash in my future so stay tuned. I can tell you for sure I will be recreating the Butternut Squash Lasagna in the near future!
In other news look what I found in my mailbox today.
I received my free Kashi Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chip cookie! So of course I had to try this for dessert tonight. So, while I was taking Abbie on our nightly walk at the park, I dug in. Unfortunately, the cookie did not travel well and crumbled when I opened the package. So, I was unable to get a pretty picture of the actual cookie.
The verdict? It was a pretty small cookie for 130 calories, but it did have a nice chew to it. I like the fact that it wasn’t overly rich or sweet which always scares me away from cookies. With that being said I would have liked a few more dark chocolate chips thrown in there. Overall, I don’t think I would buy a package of these on my own, but I will happily eat more free samples if they had an urge to send me more. 🙂
Is everyone ready for the debate tonight?!?!?!?! Let’s just hope it’s not too embarrassing for certain people debating (*cough* Palin *cough*) 🙂